• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Rain In Racing Games - 12 Game Comparison

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can already see the same few driveclub gif posters incoming.
I mean, when you're still the king...
Bow Down Madam Satan GIF by Tiffany

[Sigma]

Driveclub is still my goat. No other game gave me that "wow" feeling to that degree. Felt like I created millions of photos in the rain/storms for the Driveclub community on PS4 before Jim's bitchass shut it down(r.i.p). I do appreciate GT7 weather though at the same time and some of the details it has that Driveclub didn't so I understand why it got a higher score but at the same time Driveclub is the benchmark for a reason.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Man after all these years still better looking racer then driveclub

That shit must fucking STING

UnNamed

Banned
There are some good contenders, but nothing comes close to Driveclub.
There are some games with a good rain, some other game have a good transition from cloudy to rainy, others have the opposite. No other game has everything together.

driveclub is exaggerated the rain affects, but windshield effects are pretty nice. gran turismo has pretty much the realistic-looking rain affects.
While true, I think the Driveclub artists looked at the rain effect from an artistic side first. Whereas most driving game developers keep looking at it from a technical side, which is why it appears worse in other games like GT but GT is technically better.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
While true, I think the Driveclub artists looked at the rain effect from an artistic side first. Whereas most driving game developers keep looking at it from a technical side, which is why it appears worse in other games like GT but GT is technically better.

yeah, its like i said, artistically looks great but realistically not so much. gran Turismo is pretty much spot on the looks.

yeah, its like i said, artistically looks great but realistically not so much. gran Turismo is pretty much spot on the looks.
I agree, I guess myself and others here just like the artistic effect more. It's like one is attempting to look like real life, and the other is attempting to look like what our minds consider real life to look like, even though the truth is some rainy days in real life just don't look like that ideal version. It's the same feeling a movie gives.

If I were to exclude Driveclub, my second choice would be Assetto Corsa, especially with certain Fx/filters.

LostDonkey

I can't take anyone serious when they include games like Raceroom experience and totally omit any Forza game. Clear there is an agenda to this video.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I can't take anyone serious when they include games like Raceroom experience and totally omit any Forza game. Clear there is an agenda to this video.
It's a small, unknown channel with like a dozen videos. I'd be surprised if they have anything that can play a Forza game at decent quality. This is more advertising for this channel than anything serious.

LostDonkey

It's a small, unknown channel with like a dozen videos. I'd be surprised if they have anything that can play a Forza game at decent quality. This is more advertising for this channel than anything serious.
What? If you can play PC Sims like Iracing and such then you can play Forza, they're incredibly optimised games on PC. The weather system in Horizon 4/5 is absolutely incredible and deserves some kind of mention even if they don't own the game

Edit: looking through his channel you can see he has posted Forza Horizon videos in the past so the omission is even more ridiculous

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
That's a way putting it when literally a toaster can run forza 7.
Probably because forza 7 is discontinued than anything else.

Driveclub, no doubt in my mind.
Forza Horizon 5 does the rain effect pretty well.
Yes, I'm disappointed he did not even gloss over the FH games (Horizon and other).

However from what I have seen DC still has the best looking rain/snow... But it's only cosmetic.

Notabueno

Banned
The reason why DriveClub is still -contextually- the best looking driving game ever is because it's graphic engineers and artists understood how absolutely complex optics, perceptions and graphics are...ie. how the uncanny valley works.

We are so far, not just from hyper realistic graphic, but to even fully observe and understand optics and cognition, and therefor are far from reproducing it. In this case, a bad graphic engineer will try to make use the maximum budget to push basic numbers or performance, while a good graphic engineer understand that we're far enough from hyper realistic graphics that subtle, artistic interpretation and stylisation will looks way better and...more realistic.

That's why a lot of supposedly high-budget CGI in movies looks way worse and even less realistic than even some Pixar movies (in the last one, Turning Red, there are some scenes where you can't tell the difference between real and cgi fur even with trained high so much it's good).

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Cross play sucks, especially with the PC, and everyone knows it. That’s why every mofo opts out in the settings when given the chance.

It was just a marketing attack with a distant 3rd that died a wet fart.

Yup, on Destiny 2 if you opt to only play with PS that singles you out as most of them have crossplay by default. Crossplay simply sucks.

Top Bottom