• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Three - Your Personal Genre Trinities

What are you on about. Immersive Sim is it own genre, that goes back a couple of decades. And it incorporates several gameplay mechanics for the player to choose.
Deus EX is not just an RPG, it can be played as a shooter, as a stealth game, and exploration. Same thing for Prey and Dishonored.
You're right about the immersive sim aspect as there's a category for it within the reference image in the first post. But the focus should have been on what the games quintessentially are and that's Deus Ex as an RPG, Dishonored as a stealth game.

winjer

Gold Member
You're right about the immersive sim aspect as there's a category for it within the reference image in the first post. But the focus should have been on what the games quintessentially are and that's Deus Ex as an RPG, Dishonored as a stealth game.

That is complete non-sense.
Dishonored can be played to it's fullest without any stealth. It's possible to go all out in combat.
And Deus EX has some RPG mechanics, but can also be ignored for many situations.
Seems more like you can't understand what an Immersive Sim is, so you put these games in other genres, just because they have one or another feature.

That is complete non-sense.
Dishonored can be played to it's fullest without any stealth. It's possible to go all out in combat.
And Deus EX has some RPG mechanics, but can also be ignored for many situations.
Seems more like you can't understand what an Immersive Sim is, so you put these games in other genres, just because they have one or another feature.
Now you're talking nonsense dude. Just because you have the opportunity to play a game a different way, does it automatically negate what the game is at the core? Dishonored had an emphasis on stealth, that so much is undeniable, it was influenced by the legendary Thief series of stealth games. They likely added the option of combat to appease the dumb downed generation who would get bored of timing and subterfuge. Sorry to say it lol. Same principle applies with Deus Ex as it's an action role-playing game and we categorize it as such.

winjer

Gold Member
Now you're talking nonsense dude. Just because you have the opportunity to play a game a different way, does it automatically negate what the game is at the core? Dishonored had an emphasis on stealth, that so much is undeniable, it was influenced by the legendary Thief series of stealth games. They likely added the option of combat to appease the dumb downed generation who would get bored of timing and subterfuge. Sorry to say it lol. Same principle applies with Deus Ex as it's an action role-playing game and we categorize it as such.

An Immersive Sim is a type of game where gameplay emerges from the player's action, and the world reacts to it.
So the choice of playstyle, at any moment can change and the game will adapt to it.
In a way, an Immersive Sim is a merger of several game genres, mixed to create something unique.
Just because you can't understand what is an Immersive Sim, it does not mean Deus EX is an RPG or that Dishonored is a stealth game.

Last edited:
An Immersive Sim is a type of game where gameplay emerges from the player's action, and the world reacts to it.
So the choice of playstyle, at any moment can change and the game will adapt to it.
In a way, an Immersive Sim is a merger of several game genres, mixed to create something unique.
Just because you can't understand what is an Immersive Sim, it does not mean Deus EX is an RPG or that Dishonored is a stealth game.
But that's a blanket expression though and like you said it's a merger of several genres. Wikipedia which is the point of reference I'm referring to here clearly states what these games are. The hippie principle you're applying could be used to anything, hey GTA V is an immersive sim, Mass Effect is an immersive sim, Legend of Zelda is an immersive sim. We classify games based upon their core mechanics and the initial design documents and concepts of the developers. And for the record Deus Ex is classified as an "action-roleplaying game" and is Dishonored as both an "action-adventure" and "stealth" but we group it mostly as stealth as that was the developer's original concept.

winjer

Gold Member
But that's a blanket expression though and like you said it's a merger of several genres. Wikipedia which is the point of reference I'm referring to here clearly states what these games are. The hippie principle you're applying could be used to anything, hey GTA V is an immersive sim, Mass Effect is an immersive sim, Legend of Zelda is an immersive sim. We classify games based upon their core mechanics and the initial design documents and concepts of the developers. And for the record Deus Ex is classified as an "action-roleplaying game" and is Dishonored as both an "action-adventure" and "stealth" but we group it mostly as stealth as that was the developer's original concept.

You are just making excuses based on your ignorance to understand this particular game genre.

You are just making excuses based on your ignorance to understand this particular game genre.
Nah I'm calling you out on your new age BS. We already have pre-existing genres and groupings, we're sticking to them for the purposes of this thread.

winjer

Gold Member
Nah I'm calling you out on your new age BS. We already have pre-existing genres and groupings, we're sticking to them for the purposes of this thread.

The Immersive Sim genre has been established for over 25 years, just because you don't understand about games, doesn't mean it suddenly stop existing for your convenience.

Mozzarella

Roguelike

Enter the Gungeon
Dead Cells
Hades

Favorite: Enter the Gungeon.
Although i played Dead Cells slightly more, i think Enter the Gungeon is the best rougelike, its addictive and each run is fun, i think Binding of Issac has more depth than it when it comes to rougelike, but i didnt like the main theme, so i would choose Gungeon instead.

The Immersive Sim genre has been established for over 25 years, just because you don't understand about games, doesn't mean it suddenly stop existing for your convenience.
I guess that's why this so called "genre" isn't commonly used in gaming classification, because it sounds more like a philosophy instead. Regardless, we're sticking to core predefined genres.
Roguelike

Enter the Gungeon
Dead Cells
Hades

Favorite: Enter the Gungeon.
Although i played Dead Cells slightly more, i think Enter the Gungeon is the best rougelike, its addictive and each run is fun, i think Binding of Issac has more depth than it when it comes to rougelike, but i didnt like the main theme, so i would choose Gungeon instead.
I'm not into roguelike games though I've heard of all three of those franchises. Dead Cells was heavily mentioned due to the plagiarism accusations at IGN lol.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I guess that's why this so called "genre" isn't commonly used in gaming classification, because it sounds more like a philosophy instead. Regardless, we're sticking to core predefined genres.

I'm not into roguelike games though I've heard of all three of those franchises. Dead Cells was heavily mentioned due to the plagiarism accusations at IGN lol.
Its a good genre if you are looking for a quick round, you may end up spending hours but the idea is there, once you master the game mechanics it becomes like this, turn PC on, hmm i have to do something for few minutes before i do this thing with friends, lets play a couple of rounds of x rouglike, do some quick runs.
If you treat them like that you will find out that they are great time passing thing.
But not sure if its a genre lol, Enter the Gungeon plays entirely different to Dead Cells.

Last edited:

Labolas

Character Action (Hack N Slash) - Bayonetta, DMC3, MGR
Fighting Games - Vampire Savior, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, SFIV
Beat Em Ups - SOR4, Fight 'N Rage, Aliens Vs Predator

Its a good genre if you are looking for a quick round, you may end up spending hours but the idea is there, once you master the game mechanics it becomes like this, turn PC on, hmm i have to do something for few minutes before i do this thing with friends, lets play a couple of rounds of x rouglike, do some quick runs.
If you treat them like that you will find out that they are great time passing thing.
But not sure if its a genre lol, Enter the Gungeon plays entirely different to Dead Cells.
The reasons you're making for the genre are the reasons I don't like them dude lol.

Dis

Would it be appropriate to call Yakuza an RPG? I always thought it was an action-adventure series.
You’re right, but i’ve only completed Like a Dragon from that franchise and it seems they’re going to be turn based from now on. 🤷‍♂️

3rd Person Action Stealth

Metal Gear Solid (my favorite), Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins, Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins

Metal Gear Solid (1998) is my favorite game of all time and it was a significant change in the gaming landscape in 1998. Not only a stealth action game but an incredibly cinematic game that opened the door for a different expression of storytelling in gaming. I know the other entries expanded and improved on it and are probably better games but it pioneered a lot of what we see in gaming today. I just love it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom