• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Colors of Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLB2

Banned
For any of you who have seen Hero (and for those of you who have not you can buy the dvd on amazon for 3 bucks) I've been puzzled by the changes in color that appear in the different tellings of the same events. Why are the colors changed and what do the different colors mean?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I can't recall specifics at the moment, but they represent different viewpoints and fact vs. fiction.

Edit: from a review --

Thanks to Rashomon-like storytelling, we learn that Nameless' version of events could be colored by hidden motives. The King posits his own version of events, and chooses to implicate Nameless as a possible conspirator to his assassination. That version is in turn refuted by another version of the tale, and so on and so forth, with numerous flashbacks and supposed versions of the events represented through the glorious cinematography of Christopher Doyle. Different versions of the events are highlighted by specific color tones; red designates a more passionate accounting, while blue highlights a version colored by personal loss and sadness. Green, white and yellow come into play too, though to assign meanings and motifs to each and every color scheme would border on presumptuous and didactic. If anything, the different colors work as an effective narrative device that separates the various versions of the tale.

On a somewhat related note, my copy of the extended cut should be coming in sometime this week, so I'm looking forward to that, although it apparently isn't much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom