• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me Reviews

KMX8cN7.jpg

lock if old

thatJohann

I'm noticing some pretty big difference in visuals between the XSX and PS5 versions. Playing both as they both have a free trial. The XSX version has a much brighter image and is missing a nice depth of field effect present on PS5. Must be running a few patches behind perhaps? Both on same HDR settings, both on quality mode.

Xbox Series X: (brighter, no depth of field)
7fdaf28c-1df0-43c7-8955-f63308e4d414.png

PS5: (darker, has depth of field effect)
IMG-0806.jpg

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Enjoying this on PS5 but it’s so buggy! Facial animation is also sub par. Looks quite off but still enjoying it.
Any stutter getting some stutter on pc and random loading screens using rtx 3080 and i9 12900k. Mostly sits at 54 FPS 4k max settings including ray tracing.

thatJohann

Any stutter getting some stutter on pc and random loading screens using rtx 3080 and i9 12900k. Mostly sits at 54 FPS 4k max settings including ray tracing.
Some stutter yes on 60fps mode on later areas. Game is a buggy mess so far unfortunately. Bug after bug. Feels like an alpha build. Unfinished game. Probably rushed to meet deadline.

kapshin

E9-F94138-8378-49-FE-965-E-26-A211674-F50.jpg
5-FC07-BF8-9-F29-41-F5-8-C5-E-AECF9-AD4159-F.jpg
Buggy mess! Where’s the day 1 patch for PS5?!
My characters neck is stuck backwards the entire level. And then this other character has a camera hovering stuck in the air. Why did they release this in this state? Ughhhh
He's just kinky, don't hate.

Do they have an A and B team at Supermassive? The quality of this just seems noticeably worse than The Quarry. Might wait for some patches and try it out, I was interested in them expanding on exploration and adding puzzles to this entry.

bender

What time is it?
It's a bummer that they've come nowhere close to the goodness of Until Dawn and often far worse.

Rayderism

Playing this on PS5. So far I've done two playthroughs, one regular and one curators cut. This has to be the buggiest and most janky Dark Pictures game yet. I mean, I enjoyed the game for the story it's trying to tell, and it's cool that they based it on actual events, but it's obvious this was rushed out the door and needed a lot more polish before release. The facial animations look generic at best. The magical disappearing/reappearing characters is annoying. And I've encountered at least a couple times in each playthrough where you were obviously supposed to have a QTE event but didn't get any onscreen indicators of what you were supposed to do.....so you automatically fail them.

And what's up with the graphics? This is the first game I've seen where the "quality" mode looks worse than the "performance" mode. And I don't just mean the framerate difference, but the actual picture quality looks better in performance. Quality mode just looks like they added film grain that just made everything look less clear (hazy/fuzzy) and halved the framerate and called it a day. Performance mode was crisp and clean in comparison.

And the FMV sequences like the post game interviews in the "Bonus Features" menu, and even the curators entrance at the beginning of the game are extremely low quality vids. Especially the curators entrance.....why was that a low quality FMV and not rendered in real time?

And I'm super disappointed that we didn't get more screentime of that ultra-creepy animatronic dude from the preview of Devil in Me that we saw at the end of House of Ashes. I really wanted to see a whole lot more of that guy, because that was pretty badass on the creep factor.
Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

fatmarco

Until Dawn on lastgen vs Devil in Me current gen
bkU8q66.jpg
S77FL9C.jpg
I don't quite get this, both look very good, both are pretty standard 3d scans of real actors, and both are PS4 games (one may be running at a higher res/ but its still a PS4 game). I mean what is wrong with that Devil in Me image?

I mean if you make an argument about facial animation sure, I think Until Dawn still looks better than what they've been producing recently, but that's clearly a budget limitation and something that largely can only be seen in a video.

Last edited:

solidus12

I played the demo on ps5 and holy shit, the faces look like PS3 era.

Even Heavy Rain and Beyond did better than the dead eye faces on the prologue.

Holy shit… it looked like a 2007 game.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
psn demo is truly abysmal and buggy as fuck in plain sight, not sure how were they thinking this will help. And that's from someone who played a little hope and didn't hate it

Dthomp

Just started this today, not sure if I should keep going past the prologue or hope for a semi quick patch of some kind. The scene in the bathroom with the woman and Holmes was awful,
Like he swings his blade at her 3 times and 2 out of the three there is no markings or blood on her, she falls into the tub still not bleeding and when the hubby enters the room it's like he gutted a pig in the bathtub. Blood EVERYWHERE in the tub, but still almost none on her.

I've always enjoyed their games, but I'm not sure if I can keep going with the bugs. I wasn't going to buy this right away and had forgot it released and was in Best Buy on launch day and saw it and was in a spending mood so I snagged it...kinda wish I waited

We’re getting HAMMERED lately by rushed and unoptomized sub par games. It’s pretty disgusting to see so many devs doing this so they can hit the holiday window.

This game, bayonetta 3, gotham knights, pokemon, evil west (1080p on next gen), and reports are that Midnight Suns is coming in hot too (doesnt run smooth on a 4090 according to skill up).

This has me thinking Callisto Protocol will have issues. NFS unbound? This is the worst batch of games in terms of performance since this gen started.

Dthomp

The Quarry had higher production values but has the same jank animations. Like the characters neck spinning 180 degrees all the time as you walk around.

Luckily I didn't have any performance issues on the Quarry PS5 version, and I know it had a bunch of cut stuff due to Covid, but for this game a year later to be SO significantly worse in every way is just crazy. Like you already missed the usual halloween window for the release so just push it back a bit, this is just way to unfinished to be to market at 40 bucks. This is the type of shit I'd expect from a 10 dollar steam game, not a mid budget title from what I used to view as a decent dev.

Dthomp

Tried to play a bit today, and the very first scene the audio just kind of stopped working right. It was like suddenly they were all whispering or talking from miles away distorted. This is unplayable right now for me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, this is such a disappointment in all facets compared to The Quarry.

Worse graphics, more hitches in the Quality mode (at least Performance mode is a nice addition not found in The Quarry), character models/animations are also much worse than Quarry.

It's weird to play a game that looks and plays so much worse from the same developer after the last one.

coffinbirth

People really need to stop comparing these to Until Dawn and The Quarry. I mean, I get it...but these are clearly not the same thing. This series is what was keeping the lights on over at SuperMassive. Quick and dirty budget games, that they seem to be able to put out at an impressive pace. Unfortunate this seems to be having performance problems though.

It will ALWAYS irk me to no end that those Gun/Illfonic guys have been making mediocre multiplayer games based on classic horror franchises, but apparently no one was interested in hiring these guys to make an actual game with any of those properties. Could you imagine a Friday the 13th game with these guys and a budget at the helm?

adamsapple

How do yo unlock Curators Cut in Devil In Me ?

I beat the game, can't find it in the menus. It's not listed as a DLC add-on I can download either.

Wtf ...

adamsapple

For the 10 people who were still waiting for it, the Curators Cut DLC is now available to all (see my rant above)

It was previously only available to people who pre-ordered the game, which is a fucking ridiculous thing. You couldn't even buy it if you wanted to.

Top Bottom