• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Day Before has been delisted from Steam. Valve offering full refunds.

Ribi

Do an asset flip and run. Indie games don't all the time, glad they got their $$$
How does Star Citizen get away with it?
Actually make a good game playable while in development and not just do the most obvious assets flip that could have been seen from milea away.

I don’t know how people were foolish enough to give their money to these people despite all the red flags, but at least Valve is doing their part.
People are pretty fucking stupid. Like there's 0 hope for some.

I'm pretty sure you'll still find some people defending the game and this developer after all this shit that's gone down in the past 24 hours.

Last edited:

Kdad

Why is no one shitting on the publisher...or are they one in the same?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Edit: Disregard. Think I misread. Thought there was reference to Star Citizen from a poster

Last edited:

RickSanchez

ok if Steam refunds a majority of buyers, does that mean the scam failed ? Did the devs actually get anything out of this at all ?

if not, another question arises : did they underestimate how difficult a scam like this would be ? were they poorly prepared ? one of the documentary youtubers need to cover this.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
ok if Steam refunds a majority of buyers, does that mean the scam failed ? Did the devs actually get anything out of this at all ?

if not, another question arises : did they underestimate how difficult a scam like this would be ? were they poorly prepared ? one of the documentary youtubers need to cover this.

The devs were stupid beyond compare.

How does Star Citizen get away with it?
Day Before is street level hustle like 3 card monty.
Scam Citizen is like FTX, overhype a grand vision that is impossible to achieve, and constantly manipulate you with huge numbers and nostalgia.

Don't doubt that releasing an asset flip only to shut it down a few days later was part of their plan. It's just a contractual obligation. They knew there will be backlash. They knew steam would do refunds. However, they took whatever money they scammed from investors and ran. Consumers are just collateral damage. All the money has probably filtered through a chain of shell companies already.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

I personally think the way they have completely exploited the hype focussed gamer crowd to scam a bunch of money is quite clever in a way.

They've clearly thought this through quite well with how they've nuked everything that can get back to them. Careful wording of no financial gain during development too, so they can't be sued (I assume). I wonder how Valve handles refunds from the POV of the scammers receiving revenue from initial sales.

No doubt they'll have missed something and will get what's coming to them, but bravo so far.

baphomet

I personally think the way they have completely exploited the hype focussed gamer crowd to scam a bunch of money is quite clever in a way.

They've clearly thought this through quite well with how they've nuked everything that can get back to them. Careful wording of no financial gain during development too, so they can't be sued (I assume). I wonder how Valve handles refunds from the POV of the scammers receiving revenue from initial sales.

No doubt they'll have missed something and will get what's coming to them, but bravo so far.

What are you even talking about?

This is a company who dumped tons of money down the drain, and there's no chance they'll come out ahead.

Even if they got all the money from the purchases (which they haven't) the handful of people who don't refund it wouldn't be enough to cover even the shittiest game development cost.

Griffon

Had Steam paid the developers yet for the initial sales or is Steam going to eat this?
No, it takes a month for studios to get paid. Maybe that's the plan: close the studio while its bank account is empty, and grab for themselves whatever is left next month.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I still can't believe Dr Disrespect played it for 6 hours on stream and gave it a 6-8 out of 10, with a straight face.. And basically his whole chat was like "8/10!" It's.. I'm speechless.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I still can't believe Dr Disrespect played it for 6 hours on stream and gave it a 6-8 out of 10, with a straight face.. And basically his whole chat was like "8/10!" It's.. I'm speechless.

I mean have you seen the game he's selling to those same fans?

If he can't give a 6-8 to this trash heap, what score could he give the game he's selling to fans?

Garibaldi

What are you even talking about?

This is a company who dumped tons of money down the drain, and there's no chance they'll come out ahead.

Even if they got all the money from the purchases (which they haven't) the handful of people who don't refund it wouldn't be enough to cover even the shittiest game development cost.
They dumped nowt mate. A load of work was done from volunteers. They'll come out ahead

FeralEcho

I guess people should have bought it....The Day Before...

haha ha ha....ha
Im Out Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Kindela

Banned

Why is that so hard to understand?
I've skimmed through this video and in every part he played it seemed like your run of the mill survival/shooter game. If you'd told me he was playing dayz in that stream I'd have believed you. He spent some time walking around a big desolate map, spent some time scavenging, trading items, shooting a few zombies, seems like the usual things you do in this kind of game. Pretty unbiased review after 6 hours of playing I have to say.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Oh wow. I hope there'll be a fun hour-long video about this for me to multitask to.

This is why you don’t purchase “early access” games, regardless which company has made the game.

This trend needs to go away.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Why is that so hard to understand?
I've skimmed through this video and in every part he played it seemed like your run of the mill survival/shooter game. If you'd told me he was playing dayz in that stream I'd have believed you. He spent some time walking around a big desolate map, spent some time scavenging, trading items, shooting a few zombies, seems like the usual things you do in this kind of game. Pretty unbiased review after 6 hours of playing I have to say.
Doc wanted NFTs in his already shitty game, no wonder why he can't see shit clearly. There's no fucking game in the fucking "game"! Run of the mill.. It's more like run to the hills and far away.

Top Bottom