• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The detail of a puddle of water evaporating in Horizon Zero Dawn

RoboFu

One of the green rats
BOTW does that.

Edit: because some people cannot get around " MEH GRAPHIX!! " . BOTW rain puddles up into real game water.. as in it can hinder your movement / swim.
It is also variable and does not fill up the same every time. if it rains enough it can flood the whole area. Then the sun will dry it out over time.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not really more impressive than the ice cubes melting in MGS2. It's just a geometric shape being moved or scaled. In this case with some added effects to make the ground look damp after the water plane has been lowered.

But sure, it looks neat.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure most games that generate puddles from rain do this. I think even GTA5 has it but could be wrong.

Last edited:

Hugare

Looks cool

But they should have paid more atention to water ripples, for example

Moving inside water and having no effect on the water was jarring as fuck while playing

Its not interactive at all.

Ezquimacore

Banned
This game has many effects and cool details, awesome work for a "noob" studio doing this genre. The next game should enhance other aspects like better side quests and npcs that don't look like puppets.

This makes me think that I should play open world games more relaxed and exploring mindset. There was a time where I felt most of the games that I played were open worlds, so in someway I rushed them through and wanted to do all the side quest and collect everything just to erase the next task from the to-do-list.
All of these kind of little nuances get buried under the question marks on the map.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This is in Kingdom Come and I know it because it was buggy as fuck and puddle starts spinning into the sky. So it was fixed, almost at the launch, it's pretty cool, but unimpressive. Also really fucking fast.

sandbood

Banned
Not like this.
much bigger and dynamic though
zelda-breath-wild-weather-cycle.original.jpg

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Instead of wasting time on a relatively meaningless detail like that, they should have made an interesting NPC or an area of the game worth remembering.

But that’s a cool effect.
It is not meaningless. They need to do something. Alternatives:
  • No puddles in games with weather
  • Puddles form but vanish instantly
    • game does fancy logic where it makes the puddles vanish only after you leave which takes resources just to avoid people saying puddles are meaningless and insisting that the same people who design something like this interesting graphical / environmental effects could design NPCs.
  • Puddles stay regardless of weather
  • NPCs are created to lap up every puddle like dogs.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
It’s amazing that can do stuff like that yet leave in so many invisible walls to halt progress. I really enjoyed the game but the amount of times I couldn’t get somewhere becuase of them were infuriating.

Guess it was a side effect to playing BotW at the same time and being able to go anywhere.

I love little details like this. Seeing developers other than Rockstar pull stuff like this off makes me wonder what insane lengths Rockstar will have to go to top it.

TonyK

But only plants to hide reacts to player. Meanwhile a puddle evaporates, all the plants that collides with the player have no physics. Priorities.

Tomeru

Op, in case you didnt get it from this thread, when ever you find something cool in a game you play - dont.

You should never have a good time or think nice things.

Last edited:

Fredrik

but unlike HORIZON its variable and it acts as REAL water. If it rains enough everything gets flooded.

BOTW wins +1 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I believe there was a video comparing BOTW to HZD on smaller details like this. Nintendo has really spent time getting stuff to act correctly, can’t beat other games on visuals but the details are there. Like how arrows shot into the water are floating, stuff that you throw into the water that should float are floating, stuff that should sink are sinking, arrow physics, ice, wind, fire, rain, thunder, it all affect the world in a logical way.

brian0057

Banned

And you know what's even more impresive?
In Breath of the Wild, the puddles are also mechanically relevant, not just aesthetically pleasing. You can use it against enemies by electrifying the water, use the runes to make ice pillars to reach higher places or gain an advantage over foes. It can also be used against you if the enemy uses electric arrows.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And you know what's even more impresive?
In Breath of the Wild, the puddles are also mechanically relevant, not just aesthetically pleasing. You can use it against enemies by electrifying the water, use the runes to make ice pillars to reach higher places or gain an advantage over foes. It can also be used against you if the enemy uses electric arrows.

You could say this about almost everything in these games. In BotW the world has a purpose in the gameplay and how you interact with it, in HZD it's just a pretty backdrop to run through.

HZD has a better story and (obviously) much prettier visuals, BotW is better in all other ways.

Top Bottom