• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West releases on Steam with lower player count than Horizon: Zero Dawn

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
tmlDan tmlDan
"This is what PC gamers wanted, seems like the SP games might not come at all after all if they don't buy it. Stick to GaaS and online games for PC day one."
It isn't. PC gamers wanted got, bloodborne, demons souls and gt7. Those are the 4 horsemen of the PCopalyse.

Everything else is sort of a bonus to us. Either way helldivers 2 proved that the sales aren't stopping especially since that game sold more on PC than on ps5

Last edited:
That’s because it’s worse than the original outside of visuals 😜

I don’t see most of Playstation’s games doing that well on Steam tbh and think it’s a total waste of time outside of games from very specific genres like Helldivers II which appeal to the GaaS / MP / shooter obsessed PC market.

Fredrik

This thread was created too fast, the peak concurrent player number is still going up every day, over 40k now. No doom and gloom needed, even if it stops here it’s not bad at all. And it’s selling enough to be at the top of the global top seller list if multiplayer games are removed.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
This thread was created too fast, the peak concurrent player number is still going up every day, over 40k now. No doom and gloom needed, even if it stops here it’s not bad at all. And it’s selling enough to be at the top of the global top seller list if multiplayer games are removed.

Indeed. Over 40k right now:

53607159697_d51fe47077_c.jpg

It makes me laugh how desperately some of the PS fanboys here want to make sure everyone thinks every platform except for PS is failing.

Last edited:

Holammer

The Steam user score average is rising too, at 93% now. They should have included a 10% launch discount and an additional 10% discount for Zero Dawn owners. It would have improved numbers a little bit.

JPWe9Wp.jpg

Kacho

The Steam user score average is rising too, at 93% now. They should have included a 10% launch discount and an additional 10% discount for Zero Dawn owners. It would have improved numbers a little bit.

JPWe9Wp.jpg
40k CCP ain’t terrible for a 2 year old port going against DD2. Obviously it could have done better, but there’s genuine interest. Final Fantasy 7 Remake wishes it could have hit those numbers on Steam.

Fredrik

Draugoth Draugoth isn’t a PS fanboy as far as I’m aware.
The thread title isn’t wrong and he said the numbers could go up over the weekend, which they have, almost double now.
But the intent was clearly to state that it isn’t doing well, which seems to be wrong from what I can tell. At this point it’s high on the global top seller list, have high user score, the concurrent player number now puts it in the top 5 of PS ports and not far below the really big ones like Spider-Man and God of War.

Kacho

Oh come on. There wasn’t any ill intent from Draugoth Draugoth . It just a thread for us to discuss how it does. No need to get all defensive. It’s just a video game.

Anyway, new releases generally peak on Saturday or Sunday which is what we saw here. Still didn’t manage to pass the first game for a number of reasons but it seems to have done ok. Future steam sales will do wonders for this.

Mortisfacio

More people are playing Sims 4, a 2014 simulator release, than Horizon. Same thing with Euro Truck Sim.

Last edited:

violence

People might be wary because the first port launched bad. Not seeing any issues with this one. Other than a couple instances of grass pop-in during a cut scene.

I really love that I can set the FPS I want and it will try and maintain it with DLSS.

Last edited:

Tomi

I was reading steam reviews and a lot of people bought horizon instead of Dogma 2 because their microtransaction stupidity

This game will have a good legs for sure, and peak numbers are very good today, over 40k!

Last edited:

Fredrik

More people are playing Sims 4, a 2014 simulator release, than Horizon. Same thing with Euro Truck Sim.
So? I bet more people are playing Roblox than whatever is GAF’s favorite game of all time.

Forbidden West is doing okay that’s all I’m saying, no need to try painting a picture of it doing poorly. As with Rebirth it’s a sequel so expectations of it doing much better than the original makes little sense.
Zero Dawn peaked at 49,582.
Forbidden West sits at 40,462 now.
It’s surprisingly close.

Larivel

stop obsessing over steam concurrent numbers, games on pc especially continue to sell for way past their launch day.
This ^
Horizon Zero Dawn initially had a much lower peak player count compared to Starfield, for example, but now the numbers are basically the same, despite Zero Dawn having been released around 4 years ago. No one is in a hurry to play a port of a 2+ year old game.
ouLbiZG.jpg
AstJEA8.jpg

Tomi

This ^
Horizon Zero Dawn initially had a much lower peak player count compared to Starfield, for example, but now the numbers are basically the same, despite Zero Dawn having been released around 4 years ago. No one is in a hurry to play a port of a 2+ year old game.
ouLbiZG.jpg
AstJEA8.jpg
Zero dawn peak was 56,557 on steam 4 years ago, not 49k
Did you saw how numbers went slightly up for zero dawn last few days?
Probably people buying first one to complete

Guerrilla is a mediocre dev let's be honest here, their best game imo is Killzone Liberation on PSP. They're a technical powerhouse and have one of the best engine in the industry but their games are so mid. I've played the first Horizon game on PC and got bored after a few hours. A generic ubisoft open world inspired slop has no staying power.
Have to agree, their games are massively overrated, one could argue the reason for them being overrated but it doesn't take Einstein to work it out.

blue velvet

Have to agree, their games are massively overrated, one could argue the reason for them being overrated but it doesn't take Einstein to work it out.
They're like Crytek, they make high budget tech demos not compelling videogames. When I visit other sites/forum all people talk about Horizon series is how beautiful the graphics, how realistic and amazing the character models and lightings are with infinite posts of screenshots of the game. You'll rarely see people discuss the characters, writing, mechanics, gameplay loop, which make sense because the graphics are the only thing worth praising, the rest of the game are extremely shallow just like the Crysis series.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
They're like Crytek, they make high budget tech demos not compelling videogames. When I visit other sites/forum all people talk about Horizon series is how beautiful the graphics, how realistic and amazing the character models and lightings are with infinite posts of screenshots of the game. You'll rarely see people discuss the characters, writing, mechanics, gameplay loop, which make sense because the graphics are the only thing worth praising, the rest of the game are extremely shallow just like the Crysis series.
I’d argue the original Crysis is great and better than anything GG ever produced. You’re right about the rest of the series though.

tmlDan

tmlDan tmlDan
"This is what PC gamers wanted, seems like the SP games might not come at all after all if they don't buy it. Stick to GaaS and online games for PC day one."
It isn't. PC gamers wanted got, bloodborne, demons souls and gt7. Those are the 4 horsemen of the PCopalyse.

Everything else is sort of a bonus to us. Either way helldivers 2 proved that the sales aren't stopping especially since that game sold more on PC than on ps5
"stick to GaaS" you got that in HD2, that's what i said.

PC players only wanting certain games makes them less of actual gamers then imo. Frauds.

mrcroket

"stick to GaaS" you got that in HD2, that's what i said.

PC players only wanting certain games makes them less of actual gamers then imo. Frauds.
Except that it is quite the opposite, pc has a much more diverse market, and genres that barely exist on other platforms. Also games like baldur gates 3 have sold a lot on PC, without being GAAS.

The problem is mainly that playstation marketing has completely brainwashed its users, making them believe that their games are "the games". It is true that they release good games though, but within the immense catalog of games that there are on pc these are just another release.

Fahdis

Why are you putting down stats for a 2+ year old game? Everyone who wanted to play it played it on PS5. This is just a bonus for PC players.

tmlDan

Except that it is quite the opposite, pc has a much more diverse market, and genres that barely exist on other platforms. Also games like baldur gates 3 have sold a lot on PC, without being GAAS.

The problem is mainly that playstation marketing has completely brainwashed its users, making them believe that their games are "the games". It is true that they release good games though, but within the immense catalog of games that there are on pc these are just another release.
I play on both, in terms of actual quality and storytelling PS games are above and beyond 99% of PC games, that's just a fact. Using one anomaly, which is better played on PC anyways because its a strategy turn based game, doesn't change things.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Huh? People having preferences and tastes doesn't make them less of actual gamers or frauds. Just like how you'd never play an indie game, most PC players would be ok not being able to play (or rather, waiting for) the latest Sony game or fifa. Doesn't make them less of gamers.

That's some really shit logic

Last edited:

mrcroket

I play on both, in terms of actual quality and storytelling PS games are above and beyond 99% of PC games, that's just a fact. Using one anomaly, which is better played on PC anyways because its a strategy turn based game, doesn't change things.
I don't blame you for being a victim of marketing and branding, and no, it's not a fact, no matter how much you repeat it to yourselves.

Gaiff

Huh? People having preferences and tastes doesn't make them less of actual gamers or frauds. Just like how you'd never play an indie game, most PC players would be ok not being able to play (or rather, waiting for) the latest Sony game or fifa. Doesn't make them less of gamers.

That's some really shit logic
And in the same breath he talks about PS games which are like one genre lmao.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

It makes me laugh how desperately some of the PS fanboys here want to make sure everyone thinks every platform except for PS is failing.
Those are the minority. Trust me, I like their approach and they should continue this release cadence a year or two out after releases. It's the other side which also deserves scrutiny because there are PC fools who also can't wait to see if Sony bring day 1 releases to PC first. It goes both ways and both are annoying. I prefer to enjoy the games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

There is fear. If PC ports do too well, it just makes Sony management focus more and more on it so the ecosystem crumbles. PSVR2 coming to PC soon is another brick broken. On one hand, there is a desire for some PC success so the division financials improve. But not too much where it becomes a major factor.

Fredrik

I don’t think that’s true. There is just less hype when a game arrive late. Happens every time with timed exclusives, will happen with Ghost, GT7, FF16, Rebirth, SM2 as well, even Bloodborne. Not even GTA6 will be immune to that.

As long as their PC ports are delayed we won’t know how impactful their games could be for the PC market.

I feel like Sony is standing in a crossroad.
1. They can keep doing what they’re doing, release their games with lots of hype day 1 within the console bubble and little hype on PC years later and stay selling like they do now.
Or…
2. They can release them with lots of hype day 1 on both console and PC and increase the sales.

I 100% understand why they do what they do, and there is consequences to everything, but if they feel like they need to sell more games to keep doing their thing then option 2 wouid be a solution. They would see more people like myself who retire the console to play on PC, maybe sell more on PC than console like with Helldivers 2, but maybe it’s worth it I don’t know, wouldn’t need to start doing AA or have microtransactions.

Could start by just shorten the delay, let Nixxes step in earlier, strike when the iron is somewhat hot and see what happens.

And they should communicate how long the delay might be, like Larian did for BG3, more transparency. Square Enix has been doing that with FF16, I feel like that’s a good strategy, we know the game is coming and it seems like they want to make a good version. I’ll be there when it’s out.

Last edited:

itshutton

Couldn’t disagree more. The top 2 things I loved about Horizon was the combat and the story.

Tearing apart those robo dinos is something I loved. I’m not saying it is perfect and definitely contains too many video game tropes, but they are solid games for sure.

GymWolf

Couldn’t disagree more. The top 2 things I loved about Horizon was the combat and the story.

Tearing apart those robo dinos is something I loved. I’m not saying it is perfect and definitely contains too many video game tropes, but they are solid games for sure.
The dinobots are some of the highest tier of enemy you can find in any open world period, people can hate on horizon but it doesn't change the fact that enemy quality is far beyond most games.

Great art design, incredible animations, a lot of moves, aggressive, decently smart, super varied and numerous, they have strategic dismemberment etc.

If literally any other game had these enemies it would be praised to oblivion.

You know when people are full of shit when they see the dinobots in horizon and they say stuff like "i don't see a single aspect that could attract people"

48056dde6ffe868b102acfe20d6e9c992194fb15.gif

3a6d1525ba47cd206881e5bd094bf19f.gif

Like gtfo :lollipop_squinting:

Most games don't even have 50+ enemy types, let alone 50+ super quality enemies.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
tmlDan tmlDan oh yes. The 4 horseboys of ps hate are all here. They will attack you. They will say that ps games are bad. But they will not give examples of better games and will still want them on pc.
And they will say ridiculous statements like how this game is much better and looks much better on pc. Usual bs like if it was ps2 vs pc. Games look the same now everywhere.
It looks almost identical, played great on controller but they will still say otherwise just because pcmr. L
Majority of those who wanted to play it, did so happily on ps5. It played just fine.
I didn’t like the game and would never use it as example of good narrative but it’s an ok game.

64bitmodels 64bitmodels rodrigolfp rodrigolfp Gaiff Gaiff BennyBlanco BennyBlanco welcome. Never change. I don’t understand why you are so miserable but do what you like. You wouldn’t even know good game from bad one if you played it yourself. And yes, I will be faster than you. Forspoken is better than hfw.

GymWolf

The major difference of the port is playing in 4k60 or higher, so you don't have to chose between fidelity and performance, and the fow slider so you can actually see wtf happen around you.

Midn1ght

kXlJGrr.jpeg

Not bad. Hope Sony realizes that the quality of the port will make a difference. The Last of us would probably be above both Horizon games if they didn't shit the bed at launch with the port. Congrats Nixxes! I hope GoT port is on the same level.

Gaiff

tmlDan tmlDan oh yes. The 4 horseboys of ps hate are all here. They will attack you. They will say that ps games are bad. But they will not give examples of better games and will still want them on pc.
And they will say ridiculous statements like how this game is much better and looks much better on pc. Usual bs like if it was ps2 vs pc. Games look the same now everywhere.
It looks almost identical, played great on controller but they will still say otherwise just because pcmr. L
Majority of those who wanted to play it, did so happily on ps5. It played just fine.
I didn’t like the game and would never use it as example of good narrative but it’s an ok game.

64bitmodels 64bitmodels rodrigolfp rodrigolfp Gaiff Gaiff BennyBlanco BennyBlanco welcome. Never change. I don’t understand why you are so miserable but do what you like. You wouldn’t even know good game from bad one if you played it yourself. And yes, I will be faster than you. Forspoken is better than hfw.
200w.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
welcome. Never change. I don’t understand why you are so miserable but do what you like. You wouldn’t even know good game from bad one if you played it yourself. And yes, I will be faster than you. Forspoken is better than hfw.
Idk what I said to justify your wrath man. But if there's any Sony game any PC gamer should buy here, it should be God of war instead for 25 dollars. Better combat and gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom