• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The development of the Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time Remake is now in the hands of Ubisoft Montreal

Draugoth

Gold Member
FR2GV8KWYAIAuoj

wvnative

This is weird, this wasn't supposed to be FF7 style remake, it was supposed to be more in line with say, the crash/spyro remakes. This shouldn't be a hard project to complete.

Ezquimacore

Banned
This is weird, this wasn't supposed to be FF7 style remake, it was supposed to be more in line with say, the crash/spyro remakes. This shouldn't be a hard project to complete.
POP's combat is surprisingly deep for what it was, but the game needs a few bosses and more story/scenes to flesh out the relationship of Farah and the prince. If they just update the graphics and nothing else would be weird as f.
some people say the graphics are bad but to me it seems they don't remember the original.
68sxiaksogz61.png

Ehk6L8xX0AAVVaY.jpg

fatmarco

It is a shame that for their first proper game they were given something that was clearly a little too ambitious for them.

Probably should have done something smaller first if it was going to be their first project where they actually were in complete control/ actually building the title from scratch.

Given the history of this game, its delays etc. I can imagine the Graphics were only one of the problems it had too.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Ubi has a pretty established pipeline for their main cashcows - AC and Far Cry, but lol they are such a mess with everything else

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is good news, rather have a great version a year or 2 from now than a crappy one now.

Ballthyrm

Ubisoft Mumbai should be dissolved and none of their team should ever be allowed to touch another game's development again after that disaster.

We don't know anything, we don't know how much money they got or How fast they were ask to do it.
I would reserve this kind of judgment for other things.

I wouldn't be surprised if all they got was the source code, no documentation whatsoever and been told, you need to remaster this, you have 6 month.
You can't take any of the good engineers or designers.

I honestly feel bad for Mumbai. They were given this project solely because they're an Indian studio, and they simply did not have the experience to ship it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
WTF is going on at Ubisoft? So many games that are in development hell: Prince of Persia reboot, Skull and Bones, Beyond Good and Evil ...

AJUMP23

They must know that this game is going to do crazy numbers if they are willing to keep working on it.

rick astley pixel GIF

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I would have been very happy if Ubisoft Mumbai and Pune could've turned this around. It did seem that their ambition was bigger than their experience. Or maybe there were other issues (politics, lack of support etc.), who knows. But it is sad as it was probably one of the biggest titles any Indian studio has ever worked upon.

Hopefully they learn from the experience and make something better.

tusharngf

I honestly feel bad for Mumbai. They were given this project solely because they're an Indian studio, and they simply did not have the experience to ship it.

They pay $300-$400 for testing people so imagine how much quality you expect from them. Lots of people in QA testing never received higher salaries.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

I'm willing to bet that they're turning it into an Assassin's Creed-style game, with a load of towers/viewpoints to climb and collectibles to pick up.

Why does this need a remake? It was a 9/10 classic.
One of the very few platformers I've ever enjoyed playing. Game was gorgeous (for the time), rewinding time was a cool gimmick, the story has an awesome fairytale vibe.

Spaceman292

Banned
It is a shame that for their first proper game they were given something that was clearly a little too ambitious for them.

Probably should have done something smaller first if it was going to be their first project where they actually were in complete control/ actually building the title from scratch.

Given the history of this game, its delays etc. I can imagine the Graphics were only one of the problems it had too.
Updating the graphics on a 20 year old game is the opposite of ambitious.

Liamario

Banned
Yep. Too focused on the diversity angle rather than giving it to right people to do the job. Now they've made Mumbai look incapable, when in reality they hadn't supported the studios adequately.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yep. Too focused on the diversity angle rather than giving it to right people to do the job. Now they've made Mumbai look incapable, when in reality they hadn't supported the studios adequately.

In this case it was not socio-political meddling, but just trying to ship it on the cheap and they let the cheaper production costs studio handle it and threw them to the wolves and now under the bus.

They pay $300-$400 for testing people so imagine how much quality you expect from them. Lots of people in QA testing never received higher salaries.

US$ 300-400 in India is totally different from the same amount in the US. Seems to me like an exceptional good salary for such a low position in a country like India.

Top Bottom