• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Doom II 20th anniversary thread of 19MB's of heavenly joy

IronLich

Oh god, no! The DOOM series consumed 10 year old me.

I couldn't get enough of all the skin mods, and all the neat levels. I even had THE ALCHEMY, a disc surely constructed by hellspawn pre-packaged with thousands of levels of pure DOOM terror, and one of the levels somehow included Barney DOOM complete with bad Barney fanfic.

DOOM and DOOM II were so fucking hellaciously good. The things that game can do to you in the blackest of night with headphones on. Especially whenever you hear a Revenant's cry, or see an Archvile's flame spell.

Shane

What a game. What an f'ing game. Doom and Doom II are design perfection. Flawless execution.

I'm currently playing through Final Doom for the first time. Picked it up as part of an id bundle sale a while back on Steam.

Never had it as a kid and the difficulty ramp is great. Real tough and cleverly designed levels.

Using Zandronum to run it and it's easy. The free look feels natural, which I didn't expect.

NIN90

What a game. What an f'ing game. Doom and Doom are design perfection. Flawless execution.

I'm currently playing through Final Doom for the first time. Picked it up as part of an id bundle sale a while back on Steam.

Never had it as a kid and the difficulty ramp is great. Real tough and cleverly designed levels.

Using Zandronum to run it and it's easy. The free look feels natural, which I didn't expect.

Evilution on Final Doom is probably still my favorite WAD. Plutonia is kinda annoying IMO, though.

Neo Child

Banned
Ahh, Doom 2.

Back when you needed to look at a map when playing a FPS. Rather than being told where to go.

DoomSpiderMastermindWalk.gif

though the game kinda becomes more map than anything later on. speeding as that arrow through rooms not being able to figure out what the different colours meant

Ovid

I read that entire OP. Good job.

Doom II is one of my favorite games of all time. Reading those enemy descriptions brought back a lot of memories.

Great OP. DOOM II is kind of like my personal version of the Deus Ex meme, in that everytime I see it mentioned somewhere, I feel a compelling urge to fire it up and play again.

Always wanted to ask this: What was the invisibility item for? Monsters still spotted and attacked me immediately

I'm pretty sure it actually causes enemies to have reduced accuracy when attacking in singleplayer, though I think it's mostly meant as a multiplayer item.

Krejlooc

Banned
Can't be better than the PSP version by nature of the hardware/controls, no?

Anyway, this is one of the classic games. Amazing achievement on so many levels, absolutely timeless if you ask me.

Works just fine with the controls on the GP32.

Left trigger = strafe left
right trigger = strafe right
Hold select + left trigger = weapon down
hold select + right trigger = weapon up
A button = fire
B button = open/use
press start button = menu
hold start button = toggle run
press select = map

EDIT: In terms of hardware, aside from lacking any 3D hardware (which doom doesn't even use), it has a CPU on par with a PSP - clocked at 133 mhz by default, that can be set up to 266 mhz.

Always wanted to ask this: What was the invisibility item for? Monsters still spotted and attacked me immediately
Enemies can still spot you, but their accuracy is completely shot. You'll notice every time the game code calls A_FaceTarget() (when they're supposed to look straight at you), they'll instead look at you with a random angle offset instead.

Sounds useful, right? Well, unfortunately, in practice, not so much. See, good Doom play generally involves very quick dodges of projectiles, oftentimes at pointblank range, and with Partial Invisibility in play, the projectiles are now being shot at completely random angles, often times not even lining up with the angle the monster is facing (ie: they're facing to your left, but threw a shot that's heading straight to you regardless). The upshot is that this is less of an issue for hitscan enemies, since there's not really any projectile to be dodging here - if they're facing away from you and fire, that's that. As such, it's useful for areas where you're expected to run a gauntlet of hitscan enemies (although the angle changes for every Chaingunner shot, so there's still that to contend with), and less useful outside of that niche. It's generally considered one of the least useful power-ups in Doom for experienced players, as such.

ZDoom changed the code to be more in line with Heretic and Hexen; if you're using a Partial Invisibility power-up, sight checks for dormant monsters will fail. This wasn't the case in vanilla Doom; that sight check wasn't affected at all, they'd still wake up if you ran by them. You can change it back to the original behavior in the Compatibility Flags menu, but I kinda wish it'd default to that for Doom at least. It does make the power-up marginally more useful, though, so your mileage may vary on whether it's worth flipping that flag or not.

As a kid, I always just used idclip to beat the Icon of Sin. Beating the game legit when I got to college was the best thing.

EGM1966

I sank so much time into Doom and Doom 2 it would probably horrify me to actually see a total.

Such astonishing games at the time (still in some ways).

Damn that Arch Vile though!

One of the greatest shooters ever made. Why? Because guns never need to be reloaded. Not even joking. Fuck realism in fast-paced arcade shooters. Reloading means you have to momentarily stop shooting, ergo you should never have to reload.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, those Legos are awesome!

I should really replay these games sometime.

Now I want to play it tonight. I'm supposed to be farming more Vanguard marks and now I'm going to have to do this too god DAMMIT.

orborborb

The main thing Doom did was saddle the real-time first person perspective (which it by no means invented) with a bunch of lame connotations of military industrial gore and supernatural shlock that took decades to wear off.

The main thing Doom did was saddle the real-time first person perspective (which it by no means invented) with a bunch of lame connotations of military industrial gore and supernatural shlock that took decades to wear off.
Nah, it's more like Tim Willits was a military buff (being in ROTC and stuff), so Quake II and Doom 3 both suffer from those influences (and bad Hollywood-isms). Gears of War, though. Is a more complicated mix of things.

orborborb

to be fair Doom also showed people how dungeon crawler level design could be done without the damn grid, though only Descent, Hexen, and Marathon properly followed up on that. Ultima Underworld's grid nonsense carried through all the way to Bioshock.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
One of the greatest shooters ever made. Why? Because guns never need to be reloaded. Not even joking. Fuck realism in fast-paced arcade shooters. Reloading means you have to momentarily stop shooting, ergo you should never have to reload.
Or just go one step further and proclaim that guns are for wusses.

Doom-Comic-Handful-of-vertebrae.jpg

hlhbk

And it was the greatest game of all time!

Mask

Doom 2 and Doom are two of my favourite games ever, and the Super Shotgun is still the best shotgun I've ever used in games to this day.

A little while ago, I dug out the Doom 2 floppy disks and installed them on this super old mini laptop and played it on their for nostalgic reasons. Was pretty cool.

Guile

Banned
Sorry for bumping but am I the only one who would love a port of the original Doom, Doom II and all the expansions included for PS4/XONE?

For extra awesomeness it would have to be in 240p/480p, have all the original menu's/graphics (not like the ''remastered'' XBLA version) and the original DOS (sound blaster?) music.

Sorry for bumping but am I the only one who would love a port of the original Doom, Doom II and all the expansions included for PS4/XONE?

For extra awesomeness it would have to be in 240p/480p, have all the original menu's/graphics (not like the ''remastered'' XBLA version) and the original DOS (sound blaster?) music.

You'd need the BFG edition wads and a source port that replicates "vanilla style" playing and presentation.

Top Bottom