• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Doom II 20th anniversary thread of 19MB's of heavenly joy

Nzyme32

So many great memories of this game. Everything is fantastic, from the gameplay, the guns, the atmosphere the sound and music, it really is an absolute classic that I still enjoy today. I hope people love it for all time

Don't blame me. I just copied and pasted from the Doom Wiki (hence why they're quoted), so focus your attention on that.
The Wikia, or the actual Doom Wiki?

I mean, they were once one and the same, but they split off over some distaste over how Wikia handles things... one such flaw of Wikia being that the administration couldn't close the wiki when they parted ways. So, now that corpse is floating to the top of Google's search rankings while the split-off wiki is dwelling way down low. It's a sad state of affairs.

Everybody should play this with Brutal Doom. It is amazing how good the game still is, and with just some modifications it becomes a classic from then and a masterpiece of today.
No. In fact, statements like this are precisely why I friggin' hate the mod. Less for its own faults (and I certainly have grievances with it, such as changing the BFG into a large rocket launcher instead of more of a delayed ultra-shotgun, putting focus on slowing down to line up headshots instead of just shooting things, breaking compatibility with several mods that altered monster behavior on their own, or adding friggin' ADS to Doom), and more for the damned zealots who swarm every single Doom topic to proclaim the mod is the only legitimate way to play a game that is totally playable on its own.

If it were something like "everybody should play this with a good source port", I could agree with you (although we could argue on which one - I'm okay with GZDoom, others PrBoom+, some need total vanilla accuracy and run with Chocolate Doom). But to say a mod that drastically changes the gameplay is absolutely required is bullshit, plain and simple.

Less than stellar reaction to Brutal Doom?

Watchu talkin' bout OP?
Hi, I'm a perfect example of what you're acting like it doesn't exist here! And I know I'm not alone.

inm8num2

Doom and Doom II were a huge part of my formative years for developing gaming interests in the early 90s.

Fuck, I still need to read Masters of Doom...

Nerdkiller

Membeur
The Wikia, or the actual Doom Wiki?

I mean, they were once one and the same, but they split off over some distaste over how Wikia handles things... one such flaw of Wikia being that the administration couldn't close the wiki when they parted ways. So, now that corpse is floating to the top of Google's search rankings while the split-off wiki is dwelling way down low. It's a sad state of affairs.
Oh. The Doom Wiki (I thought it would be clear enough as it is, seeing as it was spelt...Doom Wiki, afterall).

It's not an uncommon opinion. I personally don't like it, although I don't really buy that it's sacrilege or whatever. Brutal Doom plays more like wonky Quake than Doom to me.
Well...

No. In fact, statements like this are precisely why I friggin' hate the mod. Less for its own faults (and I certainly have grievances with it, such as changing the BFG into a large rocket launcher instead of more of a delayed ultra-shotgun, putting focus on slowing down to line up headshots instead of just shooting things, breaking compatibility with several mods that altered monster behavior on their own, or adding friggin' ADS to Doom), and more for the damned zealots who swarm every single Doom topic to proclaim the mod is the only legitimate way to play a game that is totally playable on its own.

If it were something like "everybody should play this with a good source port", I could agree with you (although we could argue on which one - I'm okay with GZDoom, others PrBoom+, some need total vanilla accuracy and run with Chocolate Doom). But to say a mod that drastically changes the gameplay is absolutely required is bullshit, plain and simple.
I think he just proved my point when it comes to some players not being acceptive of Brutal Doom at all.

SerTapTap

So what's the preferred way to get vanilla Doom/II running on modern (win 8.1) stuff, still Z doom? Or is GZDoom now something better? (I know you can rebuy on steam but I have physical copies)

Some nice galleries with the original enemy models, here and here.

LX0u8dr.jpg

QXxyYdy.jpg

GnrGAa9.jpg

Dgy6yWa.jpg

I think my first encounter with Doom was Doom II, my brother copied it from someone on 15 diskettes, so huge. :D "Hey, instead of going forward and killing those guys, turn around, there's a chainsaw." Mind blown. And it was on a 486 I think, had to run it in low detail and slightly decreased viewport size. Didn't mind. It was scary as hell but so intense and so so good.

NIN90

So what's the preferred way to get vanilla Doom/II running on modern (win 8.1) stuff, still Z doom? Or is GZDoom now something better? (I know you can rebuy on steam but I have physical copies)

Depends if you want to play in Software or OpenGL as each source port exclusively caters to one of them. Alternatively, you could use Zandronum which allows for switching between both modes.

And yeah, people who say that Brutal Doom is heresy are even more annoying than those that swear it's the only way to play it today.
Brutal Doom: Sperglord Edition is exactly the way I personally want to play an oldschool FPS (I'm not using ADS or the added weapons, though) so I guess get over it?

Depends if you want to play in Software or OpenGL as each source port exclusively caters to one of them. Alternatively, you could use Zandronum which allows for switching between both modes.
You can run GZDoom in Software mode if you want to, actually. Pull down the console, type "vid_renderer 0", restart gzdoom.exe, tada Software renderer. Alternatively, launch it with the command-line parameter "+vid_renderer 0". To reactivate the hardware renderer, do the same with "1" instead of "0".

I believe there'd be some network incompatibilities between GZDoom and ZDoom, granted, but personally I'd use Zandronum for online play regardless. I know it has its detractors, but personally my experience with just using ZDoom/GZDoom itself has been more like what these two came up with.

Brutal Doom: Sperglord Edition is exactly the way I personally want to play an oldschool FPS (I'm not using ADS or the added weapons, though) so I guess get over it?
That's fine. Just don't start telling me everyone has to play the game with it, because far too many people do.

Dryk

It's really amazing how well it's aged, too. You can go back to it today and it's still great fun. A prime example of a timeless classic.

I only played it for the first time a few years ago and I agree. The controls are so tight they will probably never age and the enemies can be brutal but pretty predictable. I played Commander Keen around the same time and the difference is striking.

Oh, it's an anniversary today?

I actually got Doom 3 BFG Edition on PS3 on a sale earlier this year and used my trophy OCD as an excuse to finally play through Doom 1 episode 2-4 and Doom 2 for the first time ever. I had only played Doom 1 episode 1 (shareware) before.

And I did it on ultra-violence difficulty. I kept running out of ammo so I barely used the super shotgun.

Guys

My friend has a mod that totally turns doom 2 enemies into Simpson's characters

Hit me up on alt.games.doom for more info

I never got into the sprite modding, but I did enjoy my Ren & Stimpy mod with the Doomguy face replaced with a progressively-bloodying Stimpy (upgraded to Powdered Toast Man when under the influence of Invulnerability) and the rocket launcher that went "Joy! Joy! Joy! Joy!" (among a slew of other sound changes)

<tear> Lost to the ages.

So what was folks' preferred editor? I started with WADed for a while before getting more comfortable with DCK. And I believe I used DeHackEd for the graphic/sound changes (and simple goofy stuff like turning the player character into a Mancubus fireball or SoulSphere).

I also had a buddy at the time that made a full 32-level DM .wad that was pretty sweet.

My 486DX2-66 ran this like a dream...

My 486-33 pulled it off okay. ;-)

EMT0

Banned
That's some amazing irony. I just started playing Doom II for the first time yesterday, completely ignorant of this anniversary.

GhaleonEB

I played this for the first time when it came out on XBLA. The map designs and intensity of some of the battles really set it apart from the first game, despite the nearly identical gameplay. I can't recall specific map names, but I spent entire evenings exploring individual, giant levels, or crawling back through them looking for a scrap of health or ammo. Really great game.

Love doom 2. While i prefer the map design and episodes of doom 1, the added enemy variety make doom 2 the superior game.

I'd love to get some people together to play some doom multiplayer! I own it on pc,ps3 and 360.

Teremap

Banned
That's some amazing irony. I just started playing Doom II for the first time yesterday, completely ignorant of this anniversary.
*ahem*
[pedant]The word you're looking for is "coincidence". Please save the use of "irony" for situations that are actually the opposite of what you would ordinarily expect.[/pedant]

But, yes. Any time is a good time to start playing DooM II. :)

Fugu

I think he just proved my point when it comes to some players not being acceptive of Brutal Doom at all.
Well, I agree with him, generally. It's not necessary and imposes significant transformations on the game. People playing Doom for the first time who want to see what the hubbub is all about should absolutely not play it with Brutal Doom. When people say otherwise, it's kind of annoying because they're basically recommending a different game in lieu of the classic that everyone else is talking about.

Having said that, if you like it, good for you.

Mupod

Love doom 2. While i prefer the map design and episodes of doom 1, the added enemy variety make doom 2 the superior game.

I'd love to get some people together to play some doom multiplayer! I own it on pc,ps3 and 360.

I played doom 2 first and was never really able to go back and play 1. I always miss the new stuff.

As for map design I generally played a shit ton of WADs and some co-op. Back in the days when you had to call the other guy with your modem.

Doom 2 is a weird sequel that on the surface doesn't to change much, but the addition of the Super Shotgun & all the new enemies is a tremendous upheaval to the balance of the game (significantly for the better). Also the new enemies are just a lot more interesting to fight. They added JUST enough to "fix" Doom, I guess. My only real complaint is I don't think the maps fully realize the potential of the new enemies in hindsight (if you want to see a wad that does, check out Back to Saturn X on UV).

Definitely agree with new enemies and SSG perfecting the balance. A lot of people think the SSG is overpowered but the only reason it comes off that way is because DOOM 2 kinda jumps the gun (no pun intended) way too early and gives it in the 2nd stage long before you actually need it and not even in a secret. I guess they felt like they needed to show off the weapon.

Doom 2 is a weird sequel that on the surface doesn't to change much, but the addition of the Super Shotgun & all the new enemies is a tremendous upheaval to the balance of the game (significantly for the better). Also the new enemies are just a lot more interesting to fight. They added JUST enough to "fix" Doom, I guess. My only real complaint is I don't think the maps fully realize the potential of the new enemies in hindsight (if you want to see a wad that does, check out Back to Saturn X on UV).

I totally agree with this. The first Doom is great, and maybe it has more consistently good stages than the second game (not that the second doesn't have great levels), but everything the second game adds is so critical to the Doom formula. It's a really fantastic game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The 20th anniversary of what's pretty much the greatest game of all time. The changes between Doom and Doom 2 may be mostly iterative, but things like the expanded bestiary make all the difference and are what make it even better than the first game.

To add to the LEGO Doom goodness:

Taken from here.
I need this in my life.

G-Fex

There's a lot of good gimmicky maps but they're so well done Romero and Peterson paved the way for future great wads like BTSX and all others.

How many dead simple clones have we got?

Lernaean

Banned
Probably the best FPS ever and surely one of the best games of all time.
Thanks for the beautiful OP. I now know what I'm doing after work.

I now realize that if I am ever stranded somewhere, I can simply summon Shadow Hog by uttering "Brutal Doom Brutal Doom Brutal Doom" and he shall appear to save me (and rant about how awful Brutal Doom is.)

I remember being so disappointed by the 'Shores of Hell' chapter as a kid... I actually expected to be fighting on the beach.

eot

Banned
It just occurred to me that the first room of D2's e1m1 and Quake's e1m2 are basically the same.

Refyref

Legendary game. While I think the first game has better map design (and so does 64), the new elements of Doom 2 are really great, and it's my favorite game to play mods of. And the Super Shotgun is one of the best weapons in video games.

but personally my experience with just using ZDoom/GZDoom itself has been more like what these two came up with.

Holy crap! Zdoom uses P2P for multiplayer? And no prediction on the the client side, something which most games since QuakeWorld do? I can't stop laughing at these videos!

biteren

woulnt of it been awesome if ID released a screenshot of the new DOOM game?

id accept a pic of looking at a brick wall in game

5amshift

Banned
Hail Doom 2! Loved it 10 times more than the original when I was younger.
I remember a few parts as a kid having trouble with an onslaught of enemies in the same room and never able to get past it without codes.

Top Bottom