• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
A lot of the old bugs are still in there, but that's what mods are for.
The only issue that's stopping me from using mods is that it disable Trophies so unless I can apply an unofficial patch to get rid of the old bugs without disabling the Trophies than I'm boned on that end.

Edit:Google search is telling me that apparently the Unofficial Patch is not available on PS4 because the scripts it uses to fix alot of these bugs are counted as external assets so using mods to fix the bugs on PS4 version was never an option to begin with.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'd also suggest getting something for distance. I'm a two-handed, heavy armor wearing dude, too, but I also use a lot of bow and arrow. You need something to cut those mages down from a distance. Trying to run up and bash each one of them is not going to work out, especially if you've got half a dozen of them spread out in a field.

I like bow and arrow, but it does take a while before it gets good. I used Destruction magic in my last go-around, but it wasn't as fun as I'd hoped. I like bow and arrow better for distance, especially when you get it up past 70 or so. There are other magic options, too, but I didn't mess with them (e.g., conjuration).

To piggyback on what Bildi said ... Some basic leveling tips: Get Smithing up first, so you can craft Daedric armor. An easy way to level up Smithing is to craft a bunch of simple stuff like daggers or hide bracers. Buy some training, too. Then get Enchanting up. You can do that by enchanting lots of iron daggers and swords with petty/lesser/common soul gems. You should pay for some training there, too. (There is also a mod for faster leveling, if you don't mind sacrificing achievements/trophies.)

It's a bit of a grind, but it really pays off. Once you get Enchanting up to 100, you can have 2 enchantments each. Use the appropriate potions to improve the armor and weapons at the table (Blacksmith poition, I think it's called), and the appropriate potion to boost enchantment (Enchantment Philter or whatever). If you have two enchantments on Daedric armor and weapons, you'll be seriously overpowered for almost all encounters.

I didn't bother to level Alchemy. I didn't have the patience, and smithing + enchanting was more than enough. I find it boring to collect all those ingredients, brew potions, and slowly level up. So I just skipped that. I was able to find most of the necessary potions in the field anyhow.
Nice, yeah, magic users are a big challenge for me but I've been surviving. It's critical that I have enough stamina for closing the distance though (that Miraak guy was a royal pain in my ass). I literally ran through a dozen potions in that battle. I do have a bow and arrow but I rarely use it... I should probably work on increasing that. Alchemy, honestly, feels like a waste to me right now. Being able to heal 33 points of health is NOT working for me with potions, and it's depressing to know that you can never craft the best healing potions (100 points max) until your alchemy is like 100.

I've also taken to restoration magic. Through a few magic items, my magicka is like 200, so I've been using double-handed fast healing in battle (100 points a pop). It's been way, way better than relying on alchemy for mediocre healing so far.

Is Skyrim a loot game? Meaning, is it possible for me to find an incredible two-handed weapon somewhere that changes my entire experience? Because right now the best thing I've found at level 20 is an Elven Greatsword, damage-wise. Also been using Stormfang (a magical Greatsword that does 30 points of lightning damage per hit). But there really hasn't been anything that's made me go "holy shit I feel a big jump in power".

GhaleonEB

825 Hours in OG skyrim, 400 hours on 360, and just finished 185 hours on PC Skyrim SE. Finished all the main quests, and guild quests, and a lot of side stuff before noticing I had a bunch of corrupt saves that froze\crashed at multiple areas. Setting that aside now till more mods come out... in the meantime got this during black friday.

nFjxAih.png

I'm starting up the console versions unmodded.... 15 hours into PS4 version... and still having tons of fun.

What's wrong with me :(

I'm playing unmodded as well. I haven't found a PS4 mod that looked good enough to outweigh my desire to get achievements.

I feel like I've done almost nothing but work and play this game the past 3 weeks and I'm still only at like 33%.

Are there any questlines that permanently fuck things up with other guilds or ruin other questlines?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I feel like I've done almost nothing but work and play this game the past 3 weeks and I'm still only at like 33%.

Are there any questlines that permanently fuck things up with other guilds or ruin other questlines?
Off memory the only thing I can think off is that advancing in the Civil War Questline will screw up some quest with Jarls depending on who you side with in the Civil War because your eventually asked to make room for a replacement Jarl in specific cities.

Ushay

3 years later and this game has me HOOKED again, it's so damn addictive. Playing a Dunmer Elf, Spellsword using light armour at the moment on Expert. I forgot how damn shitty magic was to use..

Any tips for magic use?

Kamina

Golden Boy
3 years later and this game has me HOOKED again, it's so damn addictive. Playing a Dunmer Elf, Spellsword using light armour at the moment on Expert. I forgot how damn shitty magic was to use..

Any tips for magic use?
Destruction is just the start.
Alteration is the key, Mage Armor, Spell Absorption.... Enchanting for clothes or Armor to lower spell costs. Always carry potions with you.

Magic doesnt suck at all. It is just very hard to play a pure mage due to the hardships at the start. Once you reach 40+ you will start to become overpowered quickly.

GhaleonEB

does going light armor lower your stamina cost for sprinting/power moves?

I don't think if affects power moves, but light armor does reduce stamina consumption vs. heavy armor for sprinting. IIRC there is a perk to remove the heavy armor penalty on the heavy armor tree.

Heavy armor is also louder, and so you are more easily noticed when sneaking. (A perk on the stealth tree negates this.)

I don't think if affects power moves, but light armor does reduce stamina consumption vs. heavy armor for sprinting. IIRC there is a perk to remove the heavy armor penalty on the heavy armor tree.

Heavy armor is also louder, and so you are more easily noticed when sneaking. (A perk on the stealth tree negates this.)

Word, kinda wanna switch to light for sprint deal, but the defense bonus is too helpful right now. Not too worried about sneak, im going balls out, dual wielding this time around. Played a sneak archer the first time and, while cool and fun, it really drug out dungeon clearing times.

Edit: meant to add, im using the Ordinator mod which changes up the perk trees. ill have to see if that perk is still there somewhere.

rockx4

Word, kinda wanna switch to light for sprint deal, but the defense bonus is too helpful right now. Not too worried about sneak, im going balls out, dual wielding this time around. Played a sneak archer the first time and, while cool and fun, it really drug out dungeon clearing times.

Edit: meant to add, im using the Ordinator mod which changes up the perk trees. ill have to see if that perk is still there somewhere.

Personally when going dual wield or 2h, I went full heavy armor and basically played as a bulldozer. I didn't sneak ever. I just went in smashing everything. It's amazingly fun and satisfying, but you definitely need to level up enchanting and smithing.

What's the best way to raise alchemy, aside from training with someone?

I'm barely in the 30s and even then each potion I make seems to progress to the next level just like 1%.

Starting to think it's not really worth it anyways, if only because I don't truly need to make many potions outside of a few like restore health. By the time I find one in my inventory that's useful in a fight I could have beaten the enemy.

rockx4

I'm barely in the 30s and even then each potion I make seems to progress to the next level just like 1%.

Starting to think it's not really worth it anyways, if only because I don't truly need to make many potions outside of a few like restore health. By the time I find one in my inventory that's useful in a fight I could have beaten the enemy.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Alchemy_Tips

Lovers stone with Aetherium crown helps a lot, plus sleeping bonus. The crown lets you have multiple % exp modifiers from the standing stones. Alchemy is amazing to basically overpower and break the game, you can create fortifying potions to increase alchemy, enchanting, and smithing and use them to improve your gear to insane levels.

Kamina

Golden Boy

1. Collect as many ingredients as you can. Every flower, every root, every vampire dust or giant toe.
2. brew that shit

Things like Aetherium crown help as mentioned above my post.

Fruitster

Giant's Toes, Wheat and Creep Clusters - those three ingredients make the most expensive potion for selling, and making them raises alchemy pretty fast.

Hobbun

For those whom have worked on the faction quest line for Sorine at Fort Dawnguard, when you attain the Enhanced Crossbow Schematics, I believe it gives you the ability to bypass 50% of your opponent’s armor. But is that something you can add to an existing crossbow, or do you need to craft a new, ‘Enhanced Crossbow’, to get that ability?

Reason I am asking is I am close to finishing the Ancient Technology quest, which will get me the Enhanced Crossbow option, and I want to craft a Dwarven Crossbow. However, if I can’t add the ability to an existing crossbow, then I will just wait to craft the Dwarven Crossbow until after I finish the quest.

GhaleonEB

I just looked it up, and heavy armor also slows down movement speed - and that's what gets negated in the perk tree, not stamina consumption.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Heavy_Armor

Lots of stamina potions or enchantments for faster regeneration would be the offset then. (This is good to know as my next build will be a heavy armor sword and board, still running my stealth build. Dungeons do take a long time when sneaking, but I love the high risk/high reward of being a glass cannon.)

I just looked it up, and heavy armor also slows down movement speed - and that's what gets negated in the perk tree, not stamina consumption.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Heavy_Armor

Lots of stamina potions or enchantments for faster regeneration would be the offset then. (This is good to know as my next build will be a heavy armor sword and board, still running my stealth build. Dungeons do take a long time when sneaking, but I love the high risk/high reward of being a glass cannon.)

Good to know. I'll probably just stick with heavy and make some Sanic boots of stamina regen. I'll probably eventually end up in daedric armor anyway.

Feel bad bumping so soon but this thread moves quickly..

So, looking to download some mods to make my Xbox One version run better and to just enhance my overall experience. Here's what I have thus far:

Deadpool Mod - I like this a lot but it really overpowers you in the beginning. I had to crank the difficulty up and I am still mowing through enemies. I will probably take the equipment off soon.

Forgotten City - I am honestly surprised how great this blends into the main game.

I have heard Vivid Weathers is a must. Also, the Unoffocial SE Skyrim patch but any others? A girl on YouTube made a video that showcased all her aesthetic mods and the game looks damn good as a result. I want to download them but I have a bit of some trouble understanding her accent for some of them. Could someone with experience or knowledge of these mods list them, perhaps? Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/dN2Ck9VZntg

Also, are there any glaring omissions in her video?

Thank you.

Thanks for the answers regarding Alchemy. For some reason I've yet to consider making potions with more than 2 ingredients as that's all I've done so far, plus the ingredients I've found/purchased only included 2 ingredients.

Is the only way to find out the 3rd and 4th effects of an item to randomly brew them?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Apt, since I've taken to calling the Stormcloaks the Alt-Nords. "Skyrim is for the Nords!"

I'm not playing a Nord. I like being in Skyrim just fine.

This. I am playing a Nord and I still shake my head at the skyrim is for the Nords line.

What the Alt-Nords need is a media congolomerate. I wonder how Ulfric feels about contraception ...

Maybesew

So I played a ton of hours of skyrim on 360, but never finished the main story line. I really enjoyed the thieves guild quest line, and dark brotherhood. And I went with stormcloaks.

For this play thru, I was thinking of focusing on the other guilds and going against the stormcloaks. Any reason I shouldn't? mainly if the story lines suck would be the main reason not to

Rex_DX

Gold Member
So I played a ton of hours of skyrim on 360, but never finished the main story line. I really enjoyed the thieves guild quest line, and dark brotherhood. And I went with stormcloaks.

For this play thru, I was thinking of focusing on the other guilds and going against the stormcloaks. Any reason I shouldn't? mainly if the story lines suck would be the main reason not to

No not at all, especially if you've never seen that content. The Civil War only really changes certain Jarls and can change/remove a couple of radiant quests but nothing major.

GhaleonEB

There's a lot of good stuff on the main quest, companions, mage's guild, Dragonborn expansion and Dawnguard, if you never did the expansions. Probably more stuff there than you did originally.

As a suggestion try a different build for different parts of the game. I do stealth archers for thieves guild and dark brotherhood, melee fighters for companions, magic focused for mage's guild, etc. It's a fun way to get a wider swath of game play out of the game.

On a related note, I just went through a dwarven ruin and realized I forgot all about Blackreach. Now I really want to get there, it probably looks incredible in this edition.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I've also taken to restoration magic. Through a few magic items, my magicka is like 200, so I've been using double-handed fast healing in battle (100 points a pop). It's been way, way better than relying on alchemy for mediocre healing so far.

Yeah, I hear you. I use Restoration as my main healing, too. I'll just use potions if there is a baddie who dramatically takes down my health and it becomes an emergency situation.

The mage who trains you in Restoration magic seems to have some self-esteem issues.

Is Skyrim a loot game? Meaning, is it possible for me to find an incredible two-handed weapon somewhere that changes my entire experience? Because right now the best thing I've found at level 20 is an Elven Greatsword, damage-wise. Also been using Stormfang (a magical Greatsword that does 30 points of lightning damage per hit). But there really hasn't been anything that's made me go "holy shit I feel a big jump in power".

Loot is tuned to your level, so you won't get something dramatically better. You will occasionally find stuff that provides a nice boost, though.

Bildi

Is Skyrim a loot game? Meaning, is it possible for me to find an incredible two-handed weapon somewhere that changes my entire experience?

Not really, loot levels with you. If you want stuff way over your level, the only way is to level Enchantment, Alchemy & Smithing and make something yourself.

Thanks for the answers regarding Alchemy. For some reason I've yet to consider making potions with more than 2 ingredients as that's all I've done so far, plus the ingredients I've found/purchased only included 2 ingredients.

Is the only way to find out the 3rd and 4th effects of an item to randomly brew them?

Pretty much. There is the odd mention of recipes in books, but it's rare and not very useful. If your platform allows it and you want to cheat immersively, there are mods that will add a books to the game (Great Book of Alchemy for example). Don't think they require SKSE or anything else so likely to work fine in SE.

Otherwise DL a list off the internet... it's still a lot of work even with the list.

Three ingredients with multiple overlapping effects can make some crazy potions, 1800 septim value or maybe more if I remember right. You'll get less in store, but still worth hundreds. Bumps your skill like crazy too.

GhaleonEB

Loot is tuned to your level, so you won't get something dramatically better. You will occasionally find stuff that provides a nice boost, though.
I've also found that you can create your own jumps by focusing on crafting early. A good enchanting/smithing potion and some perks early on enchantment and smithing can provide a huge early jump in gear. When I went from an un-enchanted hunting bow to a superior elven bow with fire damage, it felt like I was the ender of worlds. Now that I'm level 30 I've bumped difficulty to Master since I'd pulled so far ahead of the curve through crafting.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
On a related note, I just went through a dwarven ruin and realized I forgot all about Blackreach. Now I really want to get there, it probably looks incredible in this edition.

Holy shit me too. And I also forgot I have the Blackreach Railroad installed!

Time to go spelunking.

Kalentan

I forgot what is the max level? And is there actually content that goes up to it? Or is it basically mod territory from there?

Trying to create a good frost build but am completely stuck. Have a Nord (for Frost resistance since it works both thematically & RP wise) but don't know if I want to go pure mage, Spellsword, or Battlemage. It's maddening.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I forgot what is the max level? And is there actually content that goes up to it? Or is it basically mod territory from there?

The max level used to be 81. On my original run 5 years ago, I played well over 200 hours, and I only reached somewhere in the low 40s. I can't imagine the grind that would be required to reach 81.

However, Bethesda has since patched in the ability to make skills "Legendary," which makes it possible to continue to level indefinitely.

With Patch 1.9, individual skills can be made "legendary", denoting them with an Imperial symbol. This will reset the skill to 15, and perk points used for that skill may be redistributed. Gaining levels in that skill will affect leveling again, thus effectively removing the level cap of 81. There is no restriction on the number of times that skills can be made legendary. This change makes it theoretically possible to obtain every single perk in the game. You can level up even after reaching level 252, so you can continue to increase magicka, health or stamina, though you will have nothing left to spend the resulting perk points on.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveling

Maybe I'm good at staying away from spoilers or just very lucky. After all these years, I've just discovered that the master of the Greybeards is him. It's the first time I saw it. And I think I'm still early on the main quest.

MCN

Banned
825 Hours in OG skyrim, 400 hours on 360, and just finished 185 hours on PC Skyrim SE. Finished all the main quests, and guild quests, and a lot of side stuff before noticing I had a bunch of corrupt saves that froze\crashed at multiple areas. Setting that aside now till more mods come out... in the meantime got this during black friday.

nFjxAih.png

I'm starting up the console versions unmodded.... 15 hours into PS4 version... and still having tons of fun.

What's wrong with me :(

Oh wow, it really does say "arriving by 8pm". Go figure.

GhaleonEB

Maybe I'm good at staying away from spoilers or just very lucky. After all these years, I've just discovered that the master of the Greybeards is him. It's the first time I saw it. And I think I'm still early on the main quest.

Still one of my favorite moments in the game.

Soodanim

Nice, yeah, magic users are a big challenge for me but I've been surviving. It's critical that I have enough stamina for closing the distance though (that Miraak guy was a royal pain in my ass). I literally ran through a dozen potions in that battle. I do have a bow and arrow but I rarely use it... I should probably work on increasing that. Alchemy, honestly, feels like a waste to me right now. Being able to heal 33 points of health is NOT working for me with potions, and it's depressing to know that you can never craft the best healing potions (100 points max) until your alchemy is like 100.

I've always disliked how the vanilla game doesn't give you any progress in skills for actions that should do. Like discovering ingredient effects for alchemy or various smithing parts. Ars Metallica fixes smithing, which is good. Even gives you progress for mining ore and smelting it. I need mods for the other stuff, though. Alchemy is good when it's maxed, but it feels useless until that time. I see why people abuse bugs to speed through it.

Skyrim does have a few truly unique weapons and armour pieces, but the vast majority is just named (or unnamed) enchanted stuff that you can eventually make better versions of with high enough skill I'm relevant trees.

Xion_Stellar

The max level used to be 81. On my original run 5 years ago, I played well over 200 hours, and I only reached somewhere in the low 40s. I can't imagine the grind that would be required to reach 81.

However, Bethesda has since patched in the ability to make skills "Legendary," which makes it possible to continue to level indefinitely.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveling
Even with those levels I available I never went above Lv.50 because I'm always using RP Builds and I feel like going above that makes the game too easy.

GhaleonEB

I've always disliked how the vanilla game doesn't give you any progress in skills for actions that should do. Like discovering ingredient effects for alchemy or various smithing parts. Ars Metallica fixes smithing, which is good. Even gives you progress for mining ore and smelting it. I need mods for the other stuff, though. Alchemy is good when it's maxed, but it feels useless until that time. I see why people abuse bugs to speed through it.

It's not great for healing potions early on, but my character has been making extensive use of poisons, invisibility and paralysis potions. Alchemy is around ~55 right now. They're a big part of how I'm surviving master difficulty.

So is it just me or is the frame rate in the vanilla special edition a complete cluster fuck? When I look left or right the game is a janky stuttering mess. Is this really 30 fps???

Is bethaheda going to fix this shit or is this shit unfixable?

inner-G

Banned
So is it just me or is the frame rate in the vanilla special edition a complete cluster fuck? When I look left or right the game is a janky stuttering mess. Is this really 30 fps???

What version?

I get 60fps modded up on PC

Unai

The digital foundry video shows it's a very, very stable 30 FPS on both consoles.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Hate to say it but I agree that it's pretty damn stable on Xbox. I'm running 71 mods and I only noticeably drop below 30 fps in one tiny corner of the rift.

Any other games giving you issues? Might be a hardware problem.

Hawk269

The digital foundry video shows it's a very, very stable 30 FPS on both consoles.

Except on the PRO. I have both the Xbox One and PS4/PRO version and under the PRO it is not smooth at all...especially the first dragon fight, it got really choppy where on the Xbox One it ran very smooth. PRO is running at 4k and it does look fantastic, but they need a performance patch badly.

I had this problem (with mods), but completely quitting out of the game and starting it up again worked for me. I'm sure it could work for the unmodded game as well.

EDIT: And by quitting completely out of the game, I mean pressing the guide button, pressing start, and selecting "quit" from the menu that pops up.

ramparter

Banned
I had this problem (with mods), but completely quitting out of the game and starting it up again worked for me. I'm sure it could work for the unmodded game as well.

EDIT: And by quitting completely out of the game, I mean pressing the guide button, pressing start, and selecting "quit" from the menu that pops up.
Yeah I have it too everytime I continue play without restarting the games.

Top Bottom