• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Humdinger

Gold Member
So this game doesn't stutter to anyone else when you're moving around? What the hell? Should I delete and reinstall?

I get occasional dips in framerate, but it's uncommon. The only time I see it really stutter is right after I've loaded a Save, but of course that's not a framerate issue, it's just the game loading itself. Otherwise, I haven't seen much of a problem.

Yeah, maybe delete and reinstall... Not sure what's going on for you.

SHarris78

Definitely isn't as smooth on the Pro as it was on my OG PS4, especially when you come across a pool or stream with the mist rising from it. There was a small section in the open world (on the OG PS4) outside Whiterun where the frame rate would go down to around 5fps!

I get occasional dips in framerate, but it's uncommon. The only time I see it really stutter is right after I've loaded a Save, but of course that's not a framerate issue, it's just the game loading itself. Otherwise, I haven't seen much of a problem.

Yeah, maybe delete and reinstall... Not sure what's going on for you.

I did a hard reboot on my Xbox to clear the cache and that fixed it. It's buttery smooth now (yay!)

Game glitched out and wouldn't let me dispel the barrier around the College of Winterhold with the Staff of Magnus. I noclip'd through & completed the quest but the barrier is still there so now the College is forever blocked off which is kinda cool.(Can still Fast Travel in & out though)

GhaleonEB

Dispatch.

This morning's journey was supposed to be simple enough: hike from Riften to Falkreath, looping south of Throat of the World; I've still yet to explore ~2/3 of the map and that route was one. Goals were simple: get some loot along the way, don't murder anyone I don't have to, don't kill any wildlife unless it's in self-defense, snag a jar with a bee in it, and get to Falkreath.

Things went sideways almost immediately.

First up, murder.

Along the way I swung by estate out on the island, guarded by mercenaries. I was after a bee in a jar, which I'd spotted while doing a job for the Guild, but didn't snag because the owner was cowering in the corner and I couldn't get to it without him spotting me. I didn't plan to kill anyone on the trip, but a hired thug was watching the master bedroom door like a hawk, and he took a dagger to the knee throat. Immediately after I found a way around him. What a way to go, killed by mistake so some jackass could find a bee in a jar.

The owner was still cowering in the corner. I took the jar anyways, stealthy enough to get away with it. Now I have three bugs in jars to add to my collection of things that are suddenly important to me for reasons I don't fully understand.

Onward.

A ways down the road I come across a cave bear, already tagged as an active enemy on the map despite being in the distance. Then a deer with a maginificent set of antlers ran across the road, the bear in hot pursuit. I decided to save the deer.

I pull out my Glass Bow of Searing Pain and notch an arrow, down on one knee. The deer turns up the path, the bear following. I let loose, and the arrow arcs right over the bear and disappears straight up the deer's ass. A burst of flames brings out a horrible shriek as the deer tumbles into a heap. The cave bear stops cold, as confused at the turn of events as the deer.

Whoops. I sneak past the bear, feeling like a jackass. Again.

A bit down the road I come across a pack of bandits chasing what appears to be a hunter. Mindful of my last fail, I target the bandit furthest from the hunter. She flees past me and cries, "I cannot best you!" She then pops an invisibility potion and disappears. I spot her rippling translucent visage as I take down the bandits, but otherwise never see her again. I don't think she was actually a hunter, they're usually not rocking invisibility.

I make it partway behind Throat of the World and succumb to the allure of a nearby cave. They're like catnip. Tagging the first person I spot inside, I realize I'm in a vampire's den. I love killing vampires, so I plow onward. Down the path I manage to step right on a pressure plate and take ~75% health damage to a swinging spiked gate. Careless, but I was distracted looking ahead for vampires. The gate locks back into place and I press forward.

There's a decent group of vampires ahead, the first of which is knocked right out of his chair with an arrow to the head. The others pursue and I fall back into the tunnel. I usually let them give up and reset, but I get grabby and fire a shot at the woman in front before she gets far down the path - she's a Nightstalker, and she immediately notices me. Fucking whoops, I'm on Master difficulty.

I sprint down the path, triggering the gate again, this time to my face. Ouch.

Setting up position, with a bit of high ground, I pull out my small clutch of glass arrows and manage to stagger her enough times that she can't fully close the distance. She finally drops, my heath nearly drained from her ice and lightning.

Victorious, I head down the path for that sweet delicious loot and step on the fucking pressure plate a third time, and the third time was decidedly not the charm as it pastes my limp body to the wall. Time for a reload.

Turns out vampires are voracious readers and I leave the cave with so many books that my inventory is full, barely halfway to Falkreath. I bail out of my trek and loop to Riverwood, and then Whiterun. I got some good potions and arrows out of the trek, at least.

I'll try again tonight, hoping to avoid the needless murder and spike walls.

On the plus side, one of the vampires died like this, so it wasn't a total wash.

CyxQ5QMWQAA7bE-.jpg

SlickVic

I'm impressed with Dawnguard. My initial impression was it was going to be a few small dungeons to kill some vampires. But there are some surprisingly large and beautiful areas, particularly the Vale. It really highlights what I love about Skyrim, which is the exploration.

Also really liking my sneaky archer mage build. Snipe 'em with arrows from a distance, and burn them down when they get too close.

ramparter

Banned
Also really liking my sneaky archer mage build. Snipe 'em with arrows from a distance, and burn them down when they get too close.
My build is similar, archery is my primary skill followed sneak, conjuration, destruction and restoration. I just use flame atronachs more often than destructing them myself. Imo in early levels flame atronachs are OP as long as you distract the enemies - the deal a lot of damage but they have low health.

Gotta say I am really pleased with the performance of this over time. Its saying I am at around 75 hours in, and outside of a few rare stutters the performance has been silky smooth. I was worried it was going to have a similar issue to what the PS3 version had, where the performance gets hit the longer you play.

Dispatch.

This morning's journey was supposed to be simple enough: hike from Riften to Falkreath, looping south of Throat of the World; I've still yet to explore ~2/3 of the map and that route was one. Goals were simple: get some loot along the way, don't murder anyone I don't have to, don't kill any wildlife unless it's in self-defense, snag a jar with a bee in it, and get to Falkreath.

Things went sideways almost immediately.

First up, murder.

Along the way I swung by estate out on the island, guarded by mercenaries. I was after a bee in a jar, which I'd spotted while doing a job for the Guild, but didn't snag because the owner was cowering in the corner and I couldn't get to it without him spotting me. I didn't plan to kill anyone on the trip, but a hired thug was watching the master bedroom door like a hawk, and he took a dagger to the knee throat. Immediately after I found a way around him. What a way to go, killed by mistake so some jackass could find a bee in a jar.

The owner was still cowering in the corner. I took the jar anyways, stealthy enough to get away with it. Now I have three bugs in jars to add to my collection of things that are suddenly important to me for reasons I don't fully understand.

Onward.

A ways down the road I come across a cave bear, already tagged as an active enemy on the map despite being in the distance. Then a deer with a maginificent set of antlers ran across the road, the bear in hot pursuit. I decided to save the deer.

I pull out my Glass Bow of Searing Pain and notch an arrow, down on one knee. The deer turns up the path, the bear following. I let loose, and the arrow arcs right over the bear and disappears straight up the deer's ass. A burst of flames brings out a horrible shriek as the deer tumbles into a heap. The cave bear stops cold, as confused at the turn of events as the deer.

Whoops. I sneak past the bear, feeling like a jackass. Again.

A bit down the road I come across a pack of bandits chasing what appears to be a hunter. Mindful of my last fail, I target the bandit furthest from the hunter. She flees past me and cries, "I cannot best you!" She then pops an invisibility potion and disappears. I spot her rippling translucent visage as I take down the bandits, but otherwise never see her again. I don't think she was actually a hunter, they're usually not rocking invisibility.

I make it partway behind Throat of the World and succumb to the allure of a nearby cave. They're like catnip. Tagging the first person I spot inside, I realize I'm in a vampire's den. I love killing vampires, so I plow onward. Down the path I manage to step right on a pressure plate and take ~75% health damage to a swinging spiked gate. Careless, but I was distracted looking ahead for vampires. The gate locks back into place and I press forward.

There's a decent group of vampires ahead, the first of which is knocked right out of his chair with an arrow to the head. The others pursue and I fall back into the tunnel. I usually let them give up and reset, but I get grabby and fire a shot at the woman in front before she gets far down the path - she's a Nightstalker, and she immediately notices me. Fucking whoops, I'm on Master difficulty.

I sprint down the path, triggering the gate again, this time to my face. Ouch.

Setting up position, with a bit of high ground, I pull out my small clutch of glass arrows and manage to stagger her enough times that she can't fully close the distance. She finally drops, my heath nearly drained from her ice and lightning.

Victorious, I head down the path for that sweet delicious loot and step on the fucking pressure plate a third time, and the third time was decidedly not the charm as it pastes my limp body to the wall. Time for a reload.

Turns out vampires are voracious readers and I leave the cave with so many books that my inventory is full, barely halfway to Falkreath. I bail out of my trek and loop to Riverwood, and then Whiterun. I got some good potions and arrows out of the trek, at least.

I'll try again tonight, hoping to avoid the needless murder and spike walls.

On the plus side, one of the vampires died like this, so it wasn't a total wash.

CyxQ5QMWQAA7bE-.jpg

This was a good read. Thanks for sharing.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I think I've topped myself out, as a character. I have daedric everything with double enchantments, every perk I want, and all my main skills all at 100. Health is in the 600s somewhere, stamina in the 400s. I don't even know what to do with the perks I earn anymore.

I'm way overpowered, which is fun, because I can cut people down with one arrow and stare dragons in the face. On the downside, I don't get that addictive sense of growing stronger and stronger.

I've still got a bunch of quests left, including the last part of the main story and all the DLC.

I did a hard reboot on my Xbox to clear the cache and that fixed it. It's buttery smooth now (yay!)

Well, that's good. Glad you got it fixed.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I think I've topped myself out, as a character. I have daedric everything with double enchantments, every perk I want, and all my main skills all at 100. Health is in the 600s somewhere, stamina in the 400s. I don't even know what to do with the perks I earn anymore.

I'm way overpowered, which is fun, because I can cut people down with one arrow and stare dragons in the face. On the downside, I don't get that addictive sense of growing stronger and stronger.

I've still got a bunch of quests left, including the last part of the main story and all the DLC.

... time for mods?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ugh, I hate how the crosshair setting is either off or on, no "off in third person, on in first person"

SlickVic

Finished up Dawnguard. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Serana (Laura Bailey) is a good addition to the companions and very much felt like it was setting up the more personality-focused companions that they ended up doing for Fallout 4. Highlight areas for me in the DLC were Volkihar Dungeon area and The Forgotten Vale. After spending 150 hours with the original game, it was a lot of fun to have new places to just explore.

Anyways, still got Dragonborn to play but probably will take a break from Skyrim for a bit to play something else from my backlog, and hope that SKSE support will become available in the meantime. As it is, seems like it's still going to be a bit of a wait for Elder Scrolls VI, so I'm in no rush to play through it.

Humdinger

Gold Member
probably will take a break from Skyrim for a bit to play something else from my backlog, and hope that SKSE support will become available in the meantime. As it is, seems like it's still going to be a bit of a wait for Elder Scrolls VI, so I'm in no rush to play through it.

Ha, yeah, quite a wait. Good idea to stretch Skyrim out, not rush through it. I'll be shifting to TLG when it arrives in a few days, and then it's off to the races with a multitude of great games in the first half of 2016. And I still have a bit of a backlog (e.g., Uncharted 4, RotTR). So yeah, Skyrim will probably go on the back burner pretty soon.

Humdinger

Gold Member
My daughter asked for something, so I gave her an Elven dagger. I think she wanted a doll, but that's kid stuff. She's 6 years old, it's time to grow up. Today she asked for a couple gold. I gave her $1000. Daddy is loaded. Now I'll leave her unsupervised for several weeks. - proud parent.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
My daughter asked for something, so I gave her an Elven dagger. I think she wanted a doll, but that's kid stuff. She's 6 years old, it's time to grow up. Today she asked for a couple gold. I gave her $1000. Daddy is loaded. Now I'll leave her unsupervised for several weeks. - proud parent.

"You awake alone in the house, an Elven dagger on your nightstand and a hefty pouch of Septims at your waist. But your father is nowhere to be found ..."

Shoulda been an Alternate Start option

Just made it to lvl 50 on my main. He's an Altmer Vampire/Bound Battleaxe Battlemage wearing full Daedric Armor minus the gauntlets (got a pair of Ebony ones on atm that are enchanted with 35% two handed dmg and am waiting till I can get a higher enchantment to put on my Daedric ones). Just got a Daedric 1h sword of the Inferno as a quest reward for Defending Whiterun from Ulfric.

edit: Also, does Necromage perk in restoration when your a vampire affect blessings? Cause I noticed it's giving me 11hrs instead of 7hrs.

Finished up Dawnguard. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Serana (Laura Bailey) is a good addition to the companions and very much felt like it was setting up the more personality-focused companions that they ended up doing for Fallout 4. Highlight areas for me in the DLC were Volkihar Dungeon area and The Forgotten Vale. After spending 150 hours with the original game, it was a lot of fun to have new places to just explore.

Anyways, still got Dragonborn to play but probably will take a break from Skyrim for a bit to play something else from my backlog, and hope that SKSE support will become available in the meantime. As it is, seems like it's still going to be a bit of a wait for Elder Scrolls VI, so I'm in no rush to play through it.

Dawnguard is alright but it drags in the middle. In fact I don't think I've ever completed it.

Just an Elven? Pfft, Cheapskate :p

Humdinger

Gold Member
"You awake alone in the house, an Elven dagger on your nightstand and a hefty pouch of Septims at your waist. But your father is nowhere to be found ..."

Shoulda been an Alternate Start option

Ha, I like that. Maybe you have amnesia and don't know who your father is. All you know is that he's left you. Only much later do you learn that your father was the Dragonborn. You feel inadequate to live up to that legacy and cast aside by your peers, who envy you without understanding the deep emotional scars caused by his abandonment and neglect. You have some of his magic power, but only a bit. You can only absorb the souls of skeevers, and your Shouts only cause other people a mild rash. Eventually you get obese from eating sweet rolls, get depressed, and then descend into addiction, using your Elven dagger to cut up the skooma (poignant irony).

Kalentan

So should I just not try and fight Falmer? I was exploring a spider cave when suddenly there were Falmer waiting at the end of a corridor. Turns out, they two shot me with their arrows even in full heavy.

Kalentan

What lvl are you and what armor were you wearing?

Level 6 on Expert using a Ancient Nord Greatsword of Cold and Iron Gauntlets, Iron Helmet, Steel Cuffed Boots, and Steel Plate Armor.

(Also is there any 'less sexy armor' mod for Skyrim on PS4? Or is that not possible due to no new textures and models?)

DrkSage

Getting constant crashes and I don't know what's triggering them! D:< like wtf mate, opening a drawer? Crash. Use enchanting table? crash. Standing still... crash.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Level 6 on Expert using a Ancient Nord Greatsword of Cold and Iron Gauntlets, Iron Helmet, Steel Cuffed Boots, and Steel Plate Armor.

Yeah, I would think Level 6 would be a little early for Falmers, even on Adept difficulty. Especially when you run into several of those Warmongers at a time.

GhaleonEB

You can work through just about anything with stealth, lots of patience, and heaps of arrows. But even then falmer that early on Adept will be very tough. There's not really any way to brute force them early in melee combat, especially given their use of poisons. You probably want to have your heavy armor and weapon damage perks up to +40%, alongside improved (smithed or enchanted) gear and a pack full of potions (and poisons).

Ashodin

Falmer are ez pz if you time your blocks, have good regeneration magic to overpower their poison through sheer healing will.

That's at least what I do.

Korosenai

So, is the remastered version the one to play on PC? Want to replay this game again, but not sure if I should just play the original or remastered.

El Topo

Falmer are ez pz if you time your blocks, have good regeneration magic to overpower their poison through sheer healing will.

That's all fun unless you have a mod that makes enemies and poison significantly more dangerous, like Combat Evolved. But yeah, you can work around a lot of things if you have good healing spells, it just might take a bit of time.

Hobbun

(Also is there any 'less sexy armor' mod for Skyrim on PS4? Or is that not possible due to no new textures and models?)

I didn’t start running into Falmer until around 16th level, when I explored Mzinchaleft. I sniped most of them from a distance, but the few that got close knocked me down about half (one less than half).

At 6th level, and especially on a higher difficulty (on Normal here) I feel that is well under-leveled to take them on. I know I would have had issues with them at that point.

Ripenen

I'm playing an archer doing the sneak and snipe thing. It's fun when it works but in tight dungeons it really sucks. Last time I played Skyrim I played a mage focusing in destruction/conjuration. That was fun but it also kind of sucks being a mage because it removes a lot of fun of collecting loot when you don't really need weapons or armor.

What is the most fun build you guys have played? I'm thinking of trying a sword and board or maybe a dual wield character.

I'm playing an archer doing the sneak and snipe thing. It's fun when it works but in tight dungeons it really sucks. Last time I played Skyrim I played a mage focusing in destruction/conjuration. That was fun but it also kind of sucks being a mage because it removes a lot of fun of collecting loot when you don't really need weapons or armor.

What is the most fun build you guys have played? I'm thinking of trying a sword and board or maybe a dual wield character.

Played as S&B & DW before but now I'm playing as a 2Hander and it much more fun than I remember it being. I think I'm a ride this playthrough out, can't stomach playing S&B anymore after going 2H

pashmilla

Banned
Booted up Special Edition for the first time. Bethesda logo glitches across the screen for a good thirty seconds. Sound in the opening cutscene skips like a broken record. Framerate is ass. Try to save and quit and it crashes on me. I've missed the genuine Skyrim experience :')

I too started this way but eventually I was worthless in combat. Initially being stealth I only allowed myself to use daggers for close combat as a self-imposed rule for role playing, but as I was getting my ass kicked, I eventually started using swords. I sort of "role-played" it into the story by having the skyforge steelsword be my first sword ever, by playing through the Companions questline.

Anyways my advice would be to stick to stealth but to add one-handed skills + sword to your character to not be weak in dungeons, boss fights, high-level enemies, etc. This changed the game for me and made it a challenge (Expert difficulty) without the frustration. Just don't level up block or heavy armor, or use two-handed, to stray away from a warrior build.

GhaleonEB

The issue isn't running into them, it's doing so early enough that you don't have skills high enough to combat them on Adept. I can relate; I couldn't touch certain enemies until I was over 25, such as high bandit captains, who would one-hit me with two handed weapons. My first dragon kill, outside of the one near Whiterun that kicks things off, was at level ~30. Now I'm deadly enough with arrows that I've bumped it to Master, but 1-20 were dangerous times.

These were my favorite builds when I played on 360. I'm going to try a bit of a hybrid once I'm done with my archer.

TheZink

Getting constant crashes and I don't know what's triggering them! D:< like wtf mate, opening a drawer? Crash. Use enchanting table? crash. Standing still... crash.

I had the same problem when I had Open Cities mod on the Xbox. When I deleted it my game worked flawlessly. Maybe you have it running?

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Anyways my advice would be to stick to stealth but to add one-handed skills + sword to your character to not be weak in dungeons, boss fights, high-level enemies, etc. This changed the game for me and made it a challenge (Expert difficulty) without the frustration. Just don't level up block or heavy armor, or use two-handed, to stray away from a warrior build.

I also started a sneaky archer for my new character, only level 13 so far but it quickly became apparent that once you're detected in a dungeon and three goons are rushing you, you need some other options. So I've also been leveling 1-handed for when things go south and you need to start swinging at fools, though not sure what I want to supplement this with, maybe Restoration?

Anyway my old original Skyrim character was mostly mage-focused, so this is a nice change of pace. I'm already finding stuff I missed the first time, initially I didn't do the Companions quests since, eh, why would my mage waste time hanging out with these fighters? So I had no idea where that went, pretty cool surprise.

Rex_DX

Gold Member

The most fun for me is a onehanded/ archery hybrid with a dual-wielding option.

Secondary skills include smithing, sneak, early barter options and (later) enchanting. No points in armor.

Don't forget to try and buy training every level too. Especially later game.

Unai

Swords are boring. You can always use some Illusion magic (calm or freenzy) to get out of rough situations with a sneaky build.

Santiako

I had to uninstall the game so I can start playing some of the games I've bought in the BF sale, otherwise I'd just keep coming back to Skyrim. I completed the main story, dark brotherhood, thieves guild, civil war, dawnguard, dragonborn, and a plethora of side quests with my sneaky conjurer with bound bow.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm still getting some serious crashes. I'll play for maybe half an hour and everything will abruptly go black, sound will just keep playing whatever the last tone was prior to the crash, and I'll have no choice but to hold down the power button until my PC shuts off.

I don't notice my PC getting excessively hot or anything, and I even tried bumping the graphics settings down prior to the most recent crash. My Nvidia drivers are only a few months old.

I really want to play the game, but worrying that it's killing my PC is a bit of a buzzkill.

DrkSage

I had the same problem when I had Open Cities mod on the Xbox. When I deleted it my game worked flawlessly. Maybe you have it running?

That's the thing, I'm playing without any mods at all. Just the plain ol' game. Reloading from an older save (lost around 6 hours of gameplay) seems to have solved it.

Edit:

Also... I've been using the quick reflex perk since the game released and it feels different since the last update. Like, when someone would use a power attack I could do a power bash quickly, or lower the shield and do a counter power attack quickly, but now I can't even do a counter power bash, counter power attack, or even move around like before.

I noticed this because now whenever an enemy power attacks me, the slowdown feels annoying as hell

Top Bottom