• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition PC performance thread

jony_m

For Ultrawide users (While we wait for Flawless Widescreen):

go to

C:\Users\user\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition

1- Edit Skirim.ini - under general, add SIntroSequence=1 to skip intro video straight into to menu. The bethesda logo animation was crashing for me.

[General]
SIntroSequence=1

2- Edit SkirimPrefs.ini - Edit your resolution as needed, You are looking for:

bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1440
iSize W=3440

EDIT: Gameplay is fine but it seems it will cut some UI elements on the top and bottom.

One new feature I've only seen mentioned once is the hit distance. Now you can kill targets soooo much further away. In old Skyrim the arrows would just despawn before it got to the target. It's gonna be amazing.

BizzyBum

One new feature I've only seen mentioned once is the hit distance. Now you can kill targets soooo much further away. In old Skyrim the arrows would just despawn before it got to the target. It's gonna be amazing.

Definitely making a sneaky bow user now. lol

zeox

anyone get rivatuner to cap the framerate? haven't had problems with other games (fallout 4 to mention one), but it doesn't seem to apply here :/

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
For Ultrawide users:

go to

C:\Users\user\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition

1- Edit Skirim.ini - under general, add SIntroSequence=1 to skip intro video straight into to menu. The bethesda logo animation was crashing for me.

[General]
SIntroSequence=1

bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1440
iSize W=3440

You are a saint among men good sir.

rpmboy

Bethesda's engine has always borked the physics above 60. Fallout 4 was the same.

This is what I was looking for, the original Skyrim also completely broke at over 60 FPS

i'm still gonna play but that's sad.

I was genuinely asking, this the first Bethesda game I've played on PC. I haven't seen the physics break yet, but I've seen other people in other threads talk about it. Not confirmation, OnionPowder, but I wouldn't be surprised if physics break at 60+ given that every other Bethesda game apparently has that happen.

I was more asking about why the FPS cap increases when I switch windows, and then go back into the game. Does this happen in other Bethesda games on PC?

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw some enemies glitch around, including the bear teleporting up into the air repeatedly. I'm guessing it's due to the FPS.

Abhor

Turn off/down Godrays. Fallout 4 has the same issue. There is a mod up that attempts to fix it (same author for the Fallout 4 fix).

Here

I haven't played yet but I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between medium and high shadows is an insane jump like FO4.

NotDigital

Neo Member
Seems to be some crashing issues so far, possibly related to a memory leak. Every time I've crashed it has been after about the same amount of time has passed since restarting the game.

Other than that the game is running fine for me - solid 60 FPS.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
For Ultrawide users:

go to

C:UsersuserDocumentsMy GamesSkyrim Special Edition

[General]
SIntroSequence=1

bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1440
iSize W=3440

You are an awsome person

I'm having similar performance with Fallout 4 on high settings.

Just finished the intro/tutorial, will tinker more later this evening. Gotta work.

BizzyBum

also put the game on Prefer Maximum Power (or whatever it is) in your NVIDIA settings...when I turned GSYNC off it wouldn't keep even the normal clocks...changed that option and it went back to normal

I had mine set at prefer maximum performance. Would changing it to optimal power help with all games?

jony_m

turned off GSYNC and the issues I had went away so definitely an issue there for some reason

Can confirm gsync is an issue. I was getting 40-50FPS indoors (maxed settings)

Turned off GSYNC for SKYRIM only (via Nvidia Settings) and now get fixed 60fps

Ingram

Rock solid 60 on my 1060GTX max everything @ 1680x1050. I will probably move to 1080P on the couch later if I decide to keep playing it. Game never did anything for me so not sure I will bother.

Get 60fps at 1080p on a i5-2500k/1070, there is some small stuttering going on when it seems like assets are streaming in, like a drop to low to mid 50's (even on an SSD), overall it performs okay for me.

Bod

Neo Member
Turn off/down Godrays. Fallout 4 has the same issue. There is a mod up that attempts to fix it (same author for the Fallout 4 fix).

Here

I haven't played yet but I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between medium and high shadows is an insane jump like FO4.

The godrays do not seem to be a massive problem like they were in Fallout 4, well not to me anyway. If that mod does free up some fps, its well worth using.

HooYaH

I guessing turning off vsync still messes up with the game. The start intro had a wagon catapulting in the air.

Getting a crushed black effect at certain angles, kind of hard to pin point but it's there, also the biggest problem for me is I don't think I actually want to play Skyrim again lol.

Skunkers

Hmm? Never heard of that, and I made some insane longshots in vanilla back in the day. Wonder if it's something they patched at some point.

Luigi87

GTX 1070 here. Like suggested I set my G-Sync monitor to fixed refresh and it seems to have corrected my massive frame drops in the opening.

Aomber

Performance on an AMD R9 390 is all sorts of weird. I tried on both 1080p and 1440p ultrawide, from ultra to low settings, and I get the exact same framerate range in the open world, usually ranging from 35-45 fps which is not great.

Any thoughts as to why this would happen?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to bet that just like the first time this game released (broken), it's going to be a while before they hone it in some more. The end game development state of skyrim on PC (and even consoles) was a lot better.

Remember when their code was so bloated and unoptimized cpu wise that you had to use a mod to fix it or towns would run at ~20fps? Yeah, the original launch of that game was not fun...

I'm guessing it's going to be similar here.

Ingram

Hmmm twice now I've had the game go to a black screen and I have to ctrl alt delete to bring up desktop and then alt tab back to it to restore. Strange.

jorimt

"The Elder Scrolls V: Special Education Edition" more like.

64-bit, great. DX11, great. TAA, great. Added effects, great. Physics fix, nope. FoV slider, not here. Raw mouse input, who needs it? G-sync support, nah; not sure how they managed that, seeing as almost every other game in the world supports said feature.

Also, It's been a good while since I've played the original version, but it doesn't even look like it's utilizing the original's optional HD texture pack.

Sigh, "remasters."

"The Elder Scrolls V: Special Education Edition" more like.

64-bit, great. DX11, great. TAA, great. Added effects, great. Physics fix, nope. G-sync support, nah; not sure how they managed that, seeing as almost every other game in the world supports said feature.

Also, It's been a good while since I've played the original version, but it doesn't even look like it's utilizing the original's optional HD texture pack.

Sigh, "remasters."

It's like George Lucas had his hand is this or something.

Max settings and my rig destroys it. Easily 60fps lock @1440P.

I7 4770k @ 4.4
fury nitro oc.

Haven't made it far, tho. Got to Whiterun. Ground textures are horrible still. Lighting is also very bad, but improved from old vanilla.

Overall very impressed.

MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro laptop.

- i7-6700HQ @ 2.6 Ghz
- GTX 1060 6GB (375.63 driver)
- 16GB DDR4 @ 2600 Mhz
- 512GB m.2 PCIe SSD

1080p, game defaulted to Ultra right off the bat, maxed out across the board. Played the intro and then got equipped in the keep. Performance is fine, but among my fall titles I'm working through right now, Skyrim feels notably dated, largely because of the animations. I played the original and the first expansion pack close to 200 hours, so I'm gonna pass on going any further. The new assets and the remaster job in general so far seem okay (not great), seems FOV is still an issue at default, but I'm gonna go ahead and just call it there and get back to prepping for Titanfall 2 tomorrow.

SlickVic

Was getting a stutter fest which seemed odd for an 860m playing on high.

Turns out it decided to auto-select the integrated card to run it. Switched it to the GPU and running a whole lot better.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also, It's been a good while since I've played the original version, but it doesn't even look like it's utilizing the original's HD texture pack.

It is. Vanilla:
vanillaskyrimm0pz8.jpg

SE:

Hardly the best comparison, I know, however the additional detail is nonetheless quite obvious when viewing the two images side-by-side.

Top Bottom