• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The fallacy of exclusives

DaMonsta

And how does each annual COD game sell compared to Sony' biggest exclusives?
More

You claimed no exclusive would rank in the top 10 without bundles. You were wrong. Accept it.
No, I was not proven wrong. NPD is not worldwide sales.

Please, by all means, if it wasn't God of War that helped the PS4 breaks hardware records, indulge us on how it did so.
These two points you are making a contradictory. On one hand you wanna claim GOW sold a bunch of hardware, on the other hand you want to claim bundles aren’t a large portion of its sales.

Which is it? Can’t have both.

Lots of factors contribute to console sales, it’s silly to claim it’s a singular game. Remember during that time fortnight was the most popular game by far. I’m not saying fortnite sold all the consoles. But you can’t claim it was GOW while ignoring all the other factors that could have led to console sales.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

Then why did the XBox 1 not turn things around considering it has been the cheaper consoles for the vast majority of the gen and exclusives are irrelevant?
It really wasn’t cheaper. At all times through the gen you could get a PS4 for cheaper or at least the same price as an Xbox one.

DaMonsta

No shit Sherlock. Exclusives bring new users to your ecosystem and almost locks them to it for a number of years. Games are the reason for the adoption to your ecosystem.
Sure, but the claim was that Microsoft bought all those studios to sell consoles.

Sold games divided by sold consoles results in sold games per console. So more or less every PS4 owner bought 11 games, What interests me is how many of those games are actually exclusive games. According to boards like this you could think it must be at least half of it. i think it's more like 1,5 or less without that PS3 remake/remaster stuff.

That's a massive asspull of a number

More

No, I was not proven wrong. NPD is not worldwide sales.

These two points you are making a contradictory. On one hand you wanna claim GOW sold a bunch of hardware, on the other hand you want to claim bundles aren’t a large portion of its sales.

Which is it? Can’t have both.

Lots of factors contribute to console sales, it’s silly to claim it’s a singular game. Remember during that time fortnight was the most popular game by far. I’m not saying fortnite sold all the consoles. But you can’t claim it was GOW while ignoring all the other factors that could have led to console sales.

Wrong. Around the same.

There is no wordwide ranking. So where did you pull this top 10 ranking from then?

I never said bundles aren't a large portion of sales. You're just putting words in my mouth now.

So what factors made 2018 April break Wii record numbers then?

I never claimed it's a singular game either. I said it helped. Pretty much the biggest factor in April.

Last edited:

Fbh

It really wasn’t cheaper. At all times through the gen you could get a PS4 for cheaper or at least the same price as an Xbox one.

Nope.
Xbox 1 has been cheaper for years now. You could get Ps4 for the same price during sales, but then an Xb1 on sale would still be cheaper.

DaMonsta

Wrong. Around the same.

There is no wordwide ranking. So where did you pull this top 10 ranking from then?
There are worldwide sales numbers as reported by Sony. When people talk about these games selling 10+ million copies, it’s those numbers they are referring to. Not an NPD top ten list.

I never said bundles aren't a large portion of sales. You're just putting words in my mouth now.
So without bundles, the individual games sales would be a lot lower right? No?

So what factors made 2018 April break Wii record numbers then?

I never claimed it's a singular game either. I said it helped. Pretty much the biggest factor in April.
Could be lots of shit. Again GOW was not the only popular game during that time.

DaMonsta

Nope.
Xbox 1 has been cheaper for years now. You could get Ps4 for the same price during sales, but then an Xb1 on sale would still be cheaper.
Nah, after they dropped Kinect the two consoles were always pretty comparable in price.

They are both almost always running sales and bundles but ultimately price was not a differentiating factor between them after the initial launch prices.

There are worldwide sales numbers as reported by Sony. When people talk about these games selling 10+ million copies, it’s those numbers they are referring to. Not an NPD top ten list.

So without bundles, the individual games sales would be a lot lower right? No?

Could be lots of shit. Again GOW was not the only popular game during that time.

So link me the rankings you were talking about when claimed exclusives wouldn't get in without bundles.

If you have the studies to show it go ahead. If there weren't bundles maybe they'd just buy them seperately

You're getting this in your head are you? What was the catalyst that resulted in them breaking Wii records? Again, Wii records. Not something easy to beat.

Last edited:

Mochilador

You got it. The average joe does not care about exclusives. He wants to play COD, Fifa, GTA, Minecraft.
That's why the Top 10 games on PSN/Xbox Live are mostly multiplatforms. That's why GTA V is still on the NPD Top 10 after so many years.
Brand image and cost/benefit are much bigger factors when buying a console, in my opinion.
And besides, exclusive games are all about taste.
You may think that Nintendo games are the best, pure perfection, but someone else may consider them shitty.
It's just ammo to console warriors. And the worst part is that many of these warriors didn't even play the exclusive games and they praise them like it's a master piece or something.
Play whatever you want, just don't try to force your own taste like it's a fact or the "only right opinion".

The thing with exclusives on both MS and Sony systems, is that neither company wants to get in the way too much of 3rd party publishers. One of the main reasons Nintendo doesn't get as much 3rd party support as others, is not so much due to the hardware (although certainly a factor), it's that as a 3rd party on a Nintendo system, you are going to be outright competing against them and pretty hardcore at that (you could actually also see this effect during the Sega era to a smaller extent). So the effects of exclusives on Sony and MS systems is far more subdued, as those charts indicate. That also means that Sony exclusives for example, DON'T really push console sales, they just do well if the console does well, but if they have a Vita situation they're pretty much fucked right then and there. So for them, it's just cumulative reasoning from a consumer standpoint, NO these exclusives don't matter that much, but they ARE another reason to buy one over the other.

DaMonsta

So link me the rankings you were talking about when claimed exclusives wouldn't get in without bundles.
I was referring to the numbers in the OP. Without bundles the two games in the top ten would probably not be there.

If you have the studies to show it go ahead. If there weren't bundles maybe they'd just buy them seperately
We don’t need studies when we have numbers showing a small fraction of people who buy consoles buy exclusives.

You're getting this around your head are you? What was the catalyst that resulted in them breaking Wii records?
You or I don’t know, you have your opinion. I disagree. As I said GOW wasn’t even the most popular game on PS4 at the time so if you wanna claim it was a game that was the catalyst, you got the wrong game.

I was referring to the numbers in the OP. Without bundles the two games in the top ten would probably not be there.

We don’t need studies when we have numbers showing a small fraction of people who buy consoles buy exclusives.

You or I don’t know, you have your opinion. I disagree. As I said GOW wasn’t even the most popular game on PS4 at the time so if you wanna claim it was a game that was the catalyst, you got the wrong game.

Oh okay. I thought you were smart enough to disregard VGChartz lists. Nevermind

I mean, yes we need studies to see how much bundles affect game sales. Pretty obvious. And going by that logic only a small number of people who buy consoles buy COD, since the attachment rate is comparable to exclusives right now.

I don't have an opinion. I have facts. God of War, the biggest release in april, drove the PS4 to break records. This is pretty much acknowledged by NPD themselves.

You're wrong.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It’s really simple why exclusives are important - since both systems carry much of the same games, they each need to differentiate and attract customers to their systems, hence, console exclusives, or VR, or controller form factor, services, etc.
You would think this concept wouldn't be so hard to grasp for some people 👍

DaMonsta

Oh okay. I thought you were smart enough to disregard VGChartz lists. Nevermind
Obviously it’s not totally accurate, but neither is NPD, yet you want to keep bringing them up.

Interesting 🤔

I mean, yes we need studies to see how much bundles affect game sales. Pretty obvious. And going by that logic only a small number of people who buy consoles buy COD, since the attachment rate is comparable to exclusives right now.
So post a study

I don't have an opinion. I have facts. God of War, the biggest release in april, drove the PS4 to break records. This is pretty much acknowledged by NPD themselves.

You're wrong.
Again you made this up. It’s ok to hold an opinion. It’s not ok to project your opinion as facts.

LordOfChaos

So... numbers show that - except for Nintendo - exclusives and games don't matter much in console sales, considering that in PS4 and Xbox one the leaders are GTA V (a game released in 2013), CoD: Black ops 3 and the yearly Fifa (in case of PS4). I.e. "exclusives matters" is just a fallacy.

Right numbers with the wrong interpretation imo. Just because exclusives aren't the top selling games and cross platforms are, doesn't mean those exclusives aren't buying factors if the hardware gets largely similar.

JTCx

So it was just a coincidence that ps4 had the highest april unit sale which god of war released on the same month? Even surpassing the wii?

Last edited:
Obviously it’s not totally accurate, but neither is NPD, yet you want to keep bringing them up.

Interesting 🤔

So post a study

Again you made this up. It’s ok to hold an opinion. It’s not ok to project your opinion as facts.

LMAO

NPD use solid figures from retailers. VGChartz use estimates from samples. Just stop already. You're embarrassing yourself

I'm not claiming anything about bundles. So I don't need to.

The facts are there. You're in denial

Dane

PS3 only managed to surpass 360 because of Japan, where they sold 10 million consoles more. In the US 360 was 10 million ahead of PS3. In Europe it was 50:50. Since then Japan's console business has died. If we see a return to the 360 era, Sony won't be able to pass XSX. It's going to be 90 million XSX vs. 80 million PS5 worldwide.

Japan was already falling behind in HD consoles, the Wii was the best selling at 21 million IIRC.

It was Europe who became their main reason, US and UK is where they give the lead to the winner, X360 and PS4, while Europe is considered Sony's stronghold, most of their PS3 sales were there.

DaMonsta

LMAO

NPD use solid figures from retailers. VGChartz use estimates from samples. Just stop already. You're embarrassing yourself
NPD covers one region and even then there’s some level of inaccuracies based on Digital game sales and/or bundles. And they don’t even give numbers, just rankings.

NPD is less relevant to worldwide sales totals than VGchartz is.

I'm not claiming anything about bundles. So I don't need to.
Yes you are

The facts are there. You're in denial
The only facts there are that GOW sold a lot of copies and PS4 sold a lot of consoles.

Your opinion is that the former is the reason for the later.

I disagree.

Last edited:

wintersouls

Consoles have been sold thanks to God of War or Spiderman trailers in theaters or on your home television. To say just two games.

First for that game, then for all the others that were bought, since you have the console in your house. Whether they are other exclusive or multis. But these sell millions of consoles and this translates into sales of more peripherals and subscriptions to play online. It is a chain, not just the money they earn for each game sold.

It doesn't take a genius to understand why every company spends millions upon millions of dollars on exclusive games. It is really easy to understand.

And it is to deny the obvious to say that the exclusives do not sell consoles and that these do not have any value.

Last edited:
NPD covers one region and even then there’s some level of inaccuracies based on Digital game sales and/or bundles. And they don’t even give numbers, just rankings.

NPD is less relevant to worldwide sales totals than VGchartz is.

Yes you are

The only facts there are that GOW sold a lot of copies and PS4 sold a lot of consoles.

Your opinion is that the former is the reason for the later.

I disagree.

NPD covers US, which is the biggest market for consoles. Very much relevent. And no, they don't have inaccuracies based on digital sales because they don't report on them. They don't deal with estimates like VGChartz.

And no, they're very much more relevant to worldwide sales, because unlike VGChartz, the numbers are actually real.

No I didn't. How much bullshit do you need to make up?

That's not an opinion. That's pretty much reported by NPD. Why don't you try and come up with at least one other factor as to why April was so strong for them. Because otherwise you really just look pathetic.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

NPD covers US, which is the biggest market for consoles. Very much relevent. And no, they don't have inaccuracies based on digital sales because they don't report on them. They don't deal with estimates like VGChartz.
They count digital sales for some publishers, some they don’t, and that’s changed throughout the gen.

And again they don’t even give sales numbers.

An NPD top ten list doesn’t tell you much about worldwide sales totals at all.

And no, they're very much more relevant to worldwide sales, because unlike VGChartz, the numbers are actually real.
They don’t give numbers and their rankings are incomplete.

No I didn't. How much bullshit do you need to make up?

That's not an opinion. That's pretty much reported by NPD. Why don't you try and come up with at least one other factor as to why April was so strong for them. Because otherwise you really just look pathetic.
No that’s an opinion

Keep the insults to yourself. Stay on topic

They count digital sales for some publishers, some they don’t, and that’s changed throughout the gen.

And again they don’t even give sales numbers.

An NPD top ten list doesn’t tell you much about worldwide sales totals at all.

They don’t give numbers and their rankings are incomplete.

No that’s an opinion

Keep the insults to yourself. Stay on topic

Data is not an opinion. Why do you feel threatened by the idea of an exclusive PS4 game selling consoles?

Last edited:
Your interpretation of the data is your opinion.

I said nothing about being threatened. You projecting?

Please stay on topic.

The God of War PS4 Pro bundle lead in revenue sales, to break records, but it's just interpretation that said game bundled drove sales. Good lord you can't make this up lmao

You're clearly threatened. I can't think of any other reason someone would dismiss data at face value.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

You didnt answer the question
I’ve answered it in other posts in this thread. There’s plenty of factors that lead to console sales.

God of war was not even the most popular game on PS4 at the time.

So you can’t claim it was the reason for PS4 sales success that month.

DaMonsta

No the claim is they need studios to pump content into Game Pass, because magically all these millions of PC gamers will want to buy that... or something.
No, don’t know where you got that from.

Stay on topic
The God of War PS4 Pro bundle lead in revenue sales, to break records, but it's just interpretation that said game bundled drove sales. Good lord you can't make this up lmao

You're clearly threatened. I can't think of any other reason someone would dismiss data at face value.
Seems you don’t understand the difference between fact and opinion.

That’s on you, no need for me to continue to try to inform you

No, don’t know where you got that from.

Stay on topic
Seems you don’t understand the difference between fact and opinion.

That’s on you, no need for me to continue to try to inform you

Again, The PS4 Pro God of War bundle was the leading unit in revenue sales. Keytitle there is God of War.

Face value data. Accept it already or just admit you feel threatened

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Exclusives matter among us, the hardcore. The hardcore spread mindshare and preferences amongst the masses. That mindshare is reflected in the media and on youtube, further cultivating that mindshare. Therefore, exclusives matter.

Simple as that. Looking at a chart doesn't account for the human social factor. Maybe a casual wouldn't buy an uncharted or halo...but they would generally go with what people they know go with.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So....the point of this thread is your average person don't care about exclusives? sure, they also don't care about games like Sekiro and other Souls games, so should FROM stop making those games?

Again I dont care about what your average person plays, they mostly play Mindcraft, Fortnite or just watch stream of other people playing them. Exclusives what made me choose PS4 and Switch over Xbox, so yes it matter to me and most people who enjoy gaming.

Last edited:
Well actually it was the 100 bucks price advantage and the mistakes Microsoft made with Kinect and tvtvtvtvtv. Just like PS3 came too late and was too expensive. That made Sony drop from 160M PS2 to 85M PS3 and Microsoft could quadruple the sales from the original Xbox.
You just proved a point though, that despite exclusives, price played the ultimate difference. I would bet that if Sony had no exclusives it would sell 80M consoles because of price, international audience, brand, and word of mouth because price and words of mouth are the biggest purchasing factors. I bought a 360 purely to play cod with my brother online. And most people bought a ps2 because of what it can do, not what it can play. Heck, their slogan for 3 was "it only does everything".

Last edited:

JTCx

I’ve answered it in other posts in this thread. There’s plenty of factors that lead to console sales.

What was the most popular game at the time then? By what metrics are you judging this based on? Whats the reason for the spike in console sales during that month that it broke record?

Also a dig to the past, why did ps3 outsold the 360 despite its terrible start, overpriced, worst 3rd party, and terrible online?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

You guys are in denial

DaMonsta

What was the most popular game at the time then? By what metrics are you judging this based on? Whats the reason for the spike in console sales during that month that it broke record?
Fortnite

Also a dig to the past, why did ps3 outsold the 360 despite its terrible start, overpriced, worst 3rd party, and terrible online?
Not exclusive games.

Alphagear

If exclusives dont matter then why PS4 sold 110m and Xbox One barely 50m?

Heck the Switch has overtaken the Xbox One too.

Reason being I would rather have a console which has all the multiplatforms plus many exclusives.

Over one which has all the multiplatforms and less exclusives.

Naturally you buy a console which has more games and more better games.

Roberts

Purely anecdotal, but here it is: A lot of my friends switched from 360 to ps4 this gen. Their reason was understandable. Now when Xbox One X came out, I recommended getting it, but most of them were like: "Ahh, ps4 has those kickass exclusives. No need for another console". I logged on to my ps4 yesterday to play Death Stranding a bit and out of curiosity checked out what they are playing - exclusives make up for only a small fraction of their played games. It is all about multiplats.

It's not that different with my xbox friends, but thanks to GP, most of them at least tried Horizon 4, Gears 5 or Ori, even if not all of them stuck with these games.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Just because they aren't the top selling games doesn't mean they aren't a major reason why people choose a system. Your logic is the fallacy here.

DaMonsta

And by doing absolutely nothing, out of nowhere in April it spiked the sales of one platform., helping to break records and boosted Pro sales?

God you're so obvious lmao
Again I’m not saying it was responsible for PS4 sales for the month.

There’s literally dozens of factors.

What I said that if it’s your opinion that an individual game pushed game sales that month, how can you ignore the most popular game out at the time?

Don’t you think people saw the fortnite hype and went out to buy a console?

Top Bottom