• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Full solar Eclipse USA April 2024 thread

dave_d

So I was noticing that we don't have a thread for this so I thought I'd kick it off. (April 8 2024) So for those that haven't heard a good portion of the US is going to have a full solar eclipse. States such as Texas and New York are in the line of the eclipse.

Here's a web site for the eclipse

And here's a map so you can see where it is.

Anyway I'm hoping to take a day trip up to Vermont to go see it. (Which depends on getting time off from work and weather permitting.) So anybody else going to try to take it in?

Last edited:
Remember, don't be a dummy; use eclipse glasses, welding goggles, or a pinhole camera to look at the eclipse.

4fPkhSI.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Remember, don't be a dummy; use eclipse glasses, welding goggles, or a pinhole camera to look at the eclipse.

4fPkhSI.jpg
Not where I live. We get almost a minute of "stare at the ring of fire in the sky" awesomeness. I was living in the path of the one a few years back as well, so seeing this twice in just a few years is dope. Both my kids too, though the oldest barely remembers it and the youngest was still a baby.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Going to be in the path of this and just ordered some approved eclipse glasses from JPL's store.

One of those times I am weary of what is being offered on Amazon

dave_d

4fPkhSI.jpg
The real rule is never look directly at the disk of the sun at any time because it's way too bright.(But people try to force themselves to look at it when the eclipse is going on) However during totality the disk of the sun is completely blocked so you can safely look at it.

Quasicat

I’m right in the middle of the path and this place has gotten crowded in the past 24 hours. I stopped in at Dominoes to pick up a pizza and the manager told me this is the busiest they’ve been since she started a few years ago…and it’s only the beginning of the weekend.

There are signs everywhere offering parking spots for a fee and signs on the Interstate telling people not to stop when it happens. I have church Sunday morning/evening, but I’m not going anywhere but my backyard on Monday.

The sad part is the conspiracies about it:

Solar will start the apocalypse, giants will wake up, portals will open, Masonic people will take control of the world with the new world order, and many others.

And when that comes and goes. Then it was not the correct time, and "we will wait" because it's true and coming. How dumb do you have not to realize you are scammed?

Some of them:

Quasicat

I mentioned earlier that businesses are setting up signs that say no parking on Monday for the eclipse, but now they are setting up school busses at the end of certain streets. These streets are specifically for businesses, government buildings, and schools…but now this is becoming even more of an inconvenience.
W0wynHU.jpg

Nydius

I live about 45 minutes from the path of totality here in Oklahoma and literally every hotel is at capacity for the next three nights. There are people “camping out” in RV’s and pull behinds in the Walmart, Lowes, and Tractor Supply parking lots.

Traffic on the roads heading into totality is going to be horrible. I absolutely understand why the governor mobilized the national guard to help.

Jsisto

I’ve heard so many ridiculous theories about the eclipse today. Something about holographic projections in the sky? People are off their rocker. Everybody knows it’s just a mass sacrifice and my ascension to the God Hand.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Can we get some.of our wackier friends in here to humor us with what's really going to happen? Are we all going to die?

Poly's take: Eclipse will make women's feet smell stronger

Kretos' take: Everyone in the path of totality will be fortunate, but also a cunt.

D.final's take: I've seen some eclipses, but the eclipse of the fifteenth coming will be best.

TaySan's take: Anything to the right of totality is Nazi

Darkangel-47474743738458559's take: Fuck the eclipse, we should just bomb the Sun.

German Hops German Hops take: Today, I will be stealing people's dinners instead of their lunches!

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
If you have a chance to make it to a totality spot, definitely go for it. Especially if wildlife is around. Very eerie and cool.
It’ll be 98.2% coverage where I live. I could drive about 2 hours to my closest totality spot, but it’s going to be chaotic busy there tomorrow, especially around rush hour on a Monday too.

Top Bottom