• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Game of the Year 2023 Nominees

What game do you think will win Game of The year 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fbh

Just realized Chained Echoes got robbed as the November cut off date means it should be elegible for these awards.
Instead the inferior Sea of Star gets the spotlight and even a fake indie like Dave the Diver.

Just realized Chained Echoes got robbed as the November cut off date means it should be elegible for these awards.
Instead the inferior Sea of Star gets the spotlight and even a fake indie like Dave the Diver.
Super Mario RPG is going to get robbed for next year too. It comes out this week.

The more I think about it, the more I realize these game awards are fucking trash in every way

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
the rpg of the year are a joke ff16 and star f take 2 slots and they do not have a chance at the big one same goes for lies of p future redeemed got robed a nom.
btw i am bigest ff16 fan boy and i think its taking up a slot.

Interfectum

I feel like recency bias really helped bump Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2 and Mario Wonder on that list. Not that some or all don't deserve it but they literally all just came out.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Like.... shouldn't we be more ENRAGED that Hogwarts Legacy is nowhere on that list?
We all know this is reeee influence. It is arguably one of the biggest games of the year and biggest single player game launches EVER.
I absolutely loved it. It looks amazing, runs amazing (40fps quality mode baby), the combat is excellent, the music, the chill factor. The gameplay is just so good.
The characters and side quests are excellent too.
The main story is so-so... no the best. But it was engaging enough unlike Starfield crap story

it's not a perfect game (that's ac6) but Hogwarts is my goty and a game I come back to this year.
While I obviously adore Forspoken, i understands why (very wrongly) it's not on the list. It's a game that only I and Chuck Berry Chuck Berry like. Probably Immortals also should be nominated but nobody played it so who knows (maybe art style nomination at least). Maybe there should be some separate award for ambitious games like Immortals or Fospoken. Clearly better than some trash indie stuff that wins something.

But Hogwarts is not this divisive. Hogwarts is just good without any *.

Are we really letting reee politics dictate this? Are we, as a society really so low as to behave like if this huge game never existed?
This is a bad state of affairs. I am thinking about boycotting TGA. They are cowards. Not saying HL deserves a win (although it does in some category personally) but to not even mention it anywhere ? bullshit.

edit: For me personally, Hogwarts got better gameplay than AW2 and even FF16. 10000% better than Starfield too. And no. The game is not good only in the castle. Most of my screenshots are actually outside. Plenty of side quests take place outside. It's very good and what makes it so good is the fact that it' not filled up the brim with bloat in your face. no microtransactions too. Yeah there are Merlin trials but you do few of them and nothing forces you to do all 100. They are not in your face reminding you about them all the time. I am afraid the sequel will overpack the game with needless mechanics. AW2 in contrary, got almost no game there. You pretend to solve the case on a board, you listen to internal monologues, you shoot 10 enemies in 2 hours. All flare, no substance

Last edited:

GHG

This simply can’t be real :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

40 gamerscore is like, played it for 10 mins territory and he was thrashing about blocking people over this game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's him.

ey92STK.jpg

What's even more sad is the fact that he predominantly only seems to play xbox exclusive games (when he even bothers to play anything at all):

Flabagast

Like.... shouldn't we be more ENRAGED that Hogwarts Legacy is nowhere on that list?
We all know this is reeee influence. It is arguably one of the biggest games of the year and biggest single player game launches EVER.
I absolutely loved it. It looks amazing, runs amazing (40fps quality mode baby), the combat is excellent, the music, the chill factor. The gameplay is just so good.
The characters and side quests are excellent too.
The main story is so-so... no the best. But it was engaging enough unlike Starfield crap story

it's not a perfect game (that's ac6) but Hogwarts is my goty and a game I come back to this year.
While I obviously adore Forspoken, i understands why (very wrongly) it's not on the list. It's a game that only I and Chuck Berry Chuck Berry like. Probably Immortals also should be nominated but nobody played it so who knows (maybe art style nomination at least). Maybe there should be some separate award for ambitious games like Immortals or Fospoken. Clearly better than some trash indie stuff that wins something.

But Hogwarts is not this divisive. Hogwarts is just good without any *.

Are we really letting reee politics dictate this? Are we, as a society really so low as to behave like if this huge game never existed?
This is a bad state of affairs. I am thinking about boycotting TGA. They are cowards. Not saying HL deserves a win (although it does in some category personally) but to not even mention it anywhere ? bullshit.

edit: For me personally, Hogwarts got better gameplay than AW2 and even FF16. 10000% better than Starfield too. And no. The game is not good only in the castle. Most of my screenshots are actually outside. Plenty of side quests take place outside. It's very good and what makes it so good is the fact that it' not filled up the brim with bloat in your face. no microtransactions too. Yeah there are Merlin trials but you do few of them and nothing forces you to do all 100. They are not in your face reminding you about them all the time. I am afraid the sequel will overpack the game with needless mechanics. AW2 in contrary, got almost no game there. You pretend to solve the case on a board, you listen to internal monologues, you shoot 10 enemies in 2 hours. All flare, no substance
No it's a pretty mid game, a boring standard PS4 gen open world fare

It sure does look pretty though, and combat is quite fun

skit_data

It's him.

ey92STK.jpg

What's even more sad is the fact that he predominantly only seems to play xbox exclusive games (when he even bothers to play anything at all):

Ouff.
I expected him to at least play games 1/10 of the time it must have taken to write his wall of text posts but I guess was a bit too optimistic.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's him.

ey92STK.jpg

I legit thought it was fake. My word :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So he spends his time talking about things that he literally has practically 0 first hand knowledge in.

Lunacy is the only word.

GHG

I legit thought it was fake. My word :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So he spends his time talking about things that he literally has practically 0 first hand knowledge in.

Lunacy is the only word.

He's not the only one. Solokingrobert was here talking all kinds of crap while admitting on twitter that he doesn't really play anything other than the odd mobile game and hasn't owned a console in generations.

It explains why they continuously lie so shamelessly, they have no idea whether what they are being told to post is true or not. Just stick to the script and get paid.

graywolf323

It's him.

ey92STK.jpg

proves a theory I’ve long had, the most diehard fanboys spend way more time arguing online (forums, Twitter, etc.) than actually playing games

edit: our own adamsapple adamsapple is an exception to the rule, I mean he recently 100% the new Like a Dragon Gaiden after all

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No it's a pretty mid game, a boring standard PS4 gen open world fare

It sure does look pretty though, and combat is quite fun
But it's nothing like ubisoft games.
Imo it's absolutely not a mid game and not a standard ps4 game at all.
It's not overstuffed on mechanics like those games and it focuses most on combat range spells and combination. That's something that very few games do. And you got flying

mcjmetroid

I have a problem with:

A) Remakes shouldn't count in the best game category, end of story.
B) Dave the Diver being nominated when it's not an indie game, ridiculous and totally amateur hour. Morons running this thing.
C) No mention at all of Hogwarts Legacy,
Ridiculous and loses the whole thing all credibility. I understand it not being nominated for game of the year but NO category at all? What about game direction seeing is a lot of tough decisions had to be made for it being the first Harry Potter open world ever? I don't think it's the best game of all time but it also should have been nominated in "best Art direction" ( Certainly over games like Lies of P FFS)

The above loses the award ceremony credibility in my opinion. You have to get these things right.

Last edited:

Zheph

You guys are going wild with Hogwarts, it's a good game but goty material? It's quite generic with a decent coat of paint, super streamlined for the general public IMO

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have a problem with:

A) Remakes shouldn't count in the best game category, end of story.
B) Dave the Diver being nominated when it's not an indie game, ridiculous and totally amateur hour. Morons running this thing.
C) No mention at all of Hogwarts Legacy,
Ridiculous and loses the whole thing all credibility. I understand it not being nominated for game of the year but NO category at all? What about game direction seeing is a lot of tough decisions had to be made for it being the first Harry Potter open world ever? I don't think it's the best game of all time but it also should have been nominated in "best Art direction" ( Certainly over games like Lies of P FFS)

The above loses the award ceremony credibility in my opinion. You have to get these things right.
Absolutely should be nominated for goty. It almost did Elden Ring numbers and I am sure that if not for the "controversy" the game would be on there. 880k peak and 10k now daily.... just on steam.
I don't know if it should win. maybe not... but nomination 1000%.

As for remakes, well it depends. i would never nominate something like Demons Souls remake. It's just the same game with new graphics.
but RE4 is a totally new game. Follows the same story and story bits but it's all new and different. Dead Space is very similar to original but modernized too. But it's not a wholly new game

Last edited:

Zheph

Absolutely should be nominated for goty. It almost did Elden Ring numbers and I am sure that if not for the "controversy" the game would be on there. 880k peak and 10k now daily.... just on steam.
I don't know if it should win. maybe not... but nomination 1000%.

As for remakes, well it depends. i would never nominate something like Demons Souls remake. It's just the same game with new graphics.
but RE4 is a totally new game. Follows the same story and story bits but it's all new and different. Dead Space is very similar to original but modernized too. But it's not a wholly new game
How is player count relevant here? The IP is extremely popular

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How is player count relevant here? The IP is extremely popular
I was not a HP fan. Now I am buying a lego hogwarts castle (wife is getting it for me for Christmas :p )
So the brand power didn't work on me. It's just a fine game. Nothing groundbreaking. Just a good time. that deserves a mention

Zheph

I was not a HP fan. Now I am buying a lego hogwarts castle (wife is getting it for me for Christmas :p )
So the brand power didn't work on me. It's just a fine game. Nothing groundbreaking. Just a good time. that deserves a mention
Not in such a packed year imo I personally dropped it fast, not a HP fan either

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not in such a packed year imo I personally dropped it fast, not a HP fan either
I don't think the year was this packed. We just got few games really. We are choosing from 5-10 games max. not 50
edit:
Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe pc
Vampire survivors pc
Venineth (in progress) pc
Forspoken ps5
Hogwarts Legacy ps5
Horizon Call of the Mountain psvr2
Resident Evil 4 Remake pc
Resident Evil 4 HD mod pc
Resident Evil 4 Remake pc (ng+)
Uncharted 4 ps5 remaster
Earth Defense Force 5 dlc2 (coop)
Final Fantasy XVI ps5
Lost Planet x360
Armored Core VI ps5
Lies of P pc
Alan Wake Remaster ps5
Dark Souls 3 pc (+dlc)
Alan Wake 2 ps5

I dropped Atomic Heart and Starfield after 3-4 hours each.
Tried some other stuff but this is main
Obviously no BG3 there because I am not interested and no nintendo

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

You guys are going wild with Hogwarts, it's a good game but goty material? It's quite generic with a decent coat of paint, super streamlined for the general public IMO
I don't think anybody is saying it IS Game of the year and I don't mind it not being nominated in that category but it's very blatant where it comes down to Art Direction and other categories like that. They would have attracted a LOT less attention if it was just put it in there once in one of the others.

I played the game and yes it got boring eventually and structure wise it could have been better BUT graphically it was amazing and the interactivity and the adaption of the Harry Potter source material in the world is second to none, not to mention the great music in it and I'm no expert in audio design but there is ALWAYS something to listen to in that game to add to the atmosphere.

It could have gone in:
Best Art Direction
Best Audio Design
Best Action/Adventure Game

and at a push:
Best Score and Music
though the standard here is very high TBF and I can understand it not being nominated.

The game itself may not have been perfect but a lot of aspects of it were of a very very high standard and deserved recognition.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Finally done with the votes:
  1. Game of the Year = Baldur's Gate 3
  2. Game Direction = Spider-Man 2
  3. Narrative = Final Fantasy 16
  4. Art Direction = Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  5. Score and Music = Final Fantasy 16
  6. Audio Design = Spider-Man 2
  7. Performance = Ben Starr (FF16)
  8. Accessibility = Spider-Man 2
  9. Impact = Tchia
  10. Ongoing = Genshin Impact
  11. Community Support = No Man's Sky
  12. Indie = Dredge
  13. Debut Indie = Dredge
  14. Mobile = Honkai Rail
  15. VR = Gran Turismo 7
  16. Action = Ghostrunner 2
  17. Action Adventure = Spider-Man 2
  18. RPG = Baldur's Gate 3
  19. Fighting = Street Fighter 6
  20. Family = Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  21. Sim / Strategy = Pikmin 4
  22. Sports / Racing = FC Sports 24
  23. Multiplayer = Baldur's Gate 3
  24. Adaptation = The Last of Us
  25. Most Anticipated = Hades 2
  26. Content Creator = N/A
  27. ESports Game = N/A
  28. Esports Athlete = N/A
  29. Esports Team = N/A
  30. Esports Coach = N/A
  31. Esports Event = N/A

Zathalus

Basically this. I personally loved the game but it's a very safe by the numbers type of game. It's certainly not going to win any awards for gameplay mechanics or narrative.

That being said, the game can look stunning at times so it absolutely deserves a nomination for best art direction and if a game like Final Fantasy 16 can get nominated for best RPG (it's not a RPG) then Hogwarts Legacy needs a best RPG nomination as well. It doesn't deserve to win either though.

By the way, I just realized that even Hi-Fi Rush didn't get nominated either.

That means there is no Xbox game on the list. I was of the belief (and on the record) saying that they will nominate at least one Xbox game, kind of like a participation trophy, but it will be Hi-Fi Rush, not Starfield.

They didn't nominate any Xbox game in the end.

And as of today, only 2 of these 6 games are playable on Xbox.

Fuck participation trophies.

Bridges

It isn't strange at all that it isn't GOTY nominated, but it raises an eyebrow that it wasn't nominated for anything.

I still haven't played it though so idk, people I've talked to tend to say that it'd be kind of mediocre without three license attachment but HP superfans seem to love it.

Super Mario RPG is going to get robbed for next year too. It comes out this week.

The more I think about it, the more I realize these game awards are fucking trash in every way

They should really hold these things in February and account for the entirety of Jan-Dec for the year prior. Not accounting for the last two months of the year is retarded, but even more retarded is the idea of a 2022 game winning GOTY 2023.

Top Bottom