• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Game of the Year 2023 Nominees

What game do you think will win Game of The year 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Portugeezer

BG3 should win IMO.

Can Zelda win solely based on the physics system? It's possible; it has Zelda in the name.

JKeme9M.jpg

But this, in the end, is the only vote that matters.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
pRrB7wt_d.webp

Should really get more attention. A decade of great exclusives for 2 consoles (even tho 4 of those Nintendo games are not even good, and 1 Sony game *Cough"Death Stranding!"*cough)).
A decade of incompetence by Xbone.

Voted for BG3, nice to know it is going to win. Pretty much a slam dunk. People clamoring for Hogwarts Legacy.... it simply does not beat any games on that list unless you are super dismissive of 2D Mario games, which would make you a bad person. Final Fantasy 16 or Street Fighter VI before Hogwarts for sure.

I was just going to put, aint no way Halo wasnt in 2021 but then I realised it missed the cut off date, right?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Where the fuck is Hogwarts?

How such a game can not be nominated, because of the Rowling BS? I really hope not.
No room for B+ games in a year like this, man. There's a long list of games that could have been nominated in any other year. AC6, SF6, Dead Space, Starfield, Diablo IV, and FF16 would all easily be GOTY nominees in most years.

Draugoth

Gold Member
If you guys wondering why Alan Wake and Mario Wonder is in this but Hogwarts Legacy isnt: The Nominees are picked based on the highest Opencritic/Metacritic scores.

Last edited:

ungalo

I strongly support Resident Evil 4 Remake. It would be something very subversive for a shitty ceremony like that to see it get the award. Because it would show that a 2005 game is actually better than all the other so-called masterpieces of this year.

And i didn't even play the remake i don't care.

People will probably get the wrong idea thinking the game is so good because of the astounding work of Capcom on the remaking, but it doesn't matter, it would still be funny.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If you guys wondering why Alan Wake and Mario Wonder is in this but Hogwarts Legacy isnt: The Nominees are picked based on the highest Opencritic/Metacritic scores.
I don't think that's the case.

Both Alan Wake 2 and Final Fantasy 16 have an MC score of 87. How did they decide to tip AW2 over FF16 then?

Also, Cocoon has 88 - higher than both FF16 and AW2. But that wasn't nominated for GOTY.

gow3isben

Why people so obsessed with Harry Potter? Lets call a spade a spade. It was a Ubisoft game in a different coat of paint. If it was an actual GOTY contender maybe people should be more upset.

Jedi Survivor getting snubbed is the really problem.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It should be Zelda, because it is an amazing game that improves upon BoTW.

I would give honorable mention to BG3, but the final act of that game had bugs and was not as polished as act 1. Most people in BG3 I think only played the first act.

ungalo

I don't think that's the case.

Both Alan Wake 2 and Final Fantasy 16 have an MC score of 87. How did they decide to tip AW2 over FF16 then?

Also, Cocoon has 88 - higher than both FF16 and AW2. But that wasn't nominated for GOTY.
It's a jury more limited in size than the number of medias that make reviews on metacritic.

Also an average grade and choosing 5 games in a category are two different things, that can lead to some surprises (here not so much though).

Why people so obsessed with Harry Potter? Lets call a spade a spade. It was a Ubisoft game in a different coat of paint. If it was an actual GOTY contender maybe people should be more upset.

Jedi Survivor getting snubbed is the really problem.
Hogwarts or Starfield not being nominated for GOTY is perfectly understandable, what i find cringe is the obvious boycott for every category. And it's the same for Atomic Heart by the way.

Really the nominations for best scores and best art direction are ostentatiously bad. It's like that every year for the music.

Last edited:

Regginator

We've really had an amazing year. They could've easily added six more games as nominees that would've been worthy winners.

As a Zelda guy through and through I'm gonna root for TOTK, but despite both scoring identical reviews wise, I think BG3 is clearly going to win this. Never before have I seen publishers and devs literally scared and warning us that the bar a studio has raised for RPGs is "unrealistic".

nikolino840

I strongly support Resident Evil 4 Remake. It would be something very subversive for a shitty ceremony like that to see it get the award. Because it would show that a 2005 game is actually better than all the other so-called masterpieces of this year.

And i didn't even play the remake i don't care.

People will probably get the wrong idea thinking the game is so good because of the astounding work of Capcom on the remaking, but it doesn't matter, it would still be funny.
Is not a 1:1 remake...

Fredrik

If you like RPGs play Baldurs Gate 3.
Yeah it’s on my play soon list. Among other games. I don’t understand how people can go through games so quickly. I’m still not done with Starfield and it came out over 2 months ago, 2nd playthrough, 200 hours total. Not finished with Zelda either, 80 hours there. Or Hogwarts. I even have some 2022 games to play through. I got stuck playing Elden Ring for 500 hours so everything else was put on hold. I need more time!
Nervous The Big Bang Theory GIF

People clamoring for Hogwarts Legacy.... it simply does not beat any games on that list unless you are super dismissive of 2D Mario games
Some people here want Hogwarts Legacy to be on the list so badly that they will pretend the game wasn’t a 7/10 Ubisoft game with a Harry Potter skin. They keep mentioning the school itself but will barely mention anything outside of the school(including the main story that’s worse than the Slytherin side story), which is the other 80% of the game.

Also, they never added the sport that the game clearly had controls for.

pRrB7wt_d.webp

Should really get more attention. A decade of great exclusives for 2 consoles (even tho 4 of those Nintendo games are not even good, and 1 Sony game *Cough"Death Stranding!"*cough)).
A decade of incompetence by Xbone.

Voted for BG3, nice to know it is going to win. Pretty much a slam dunk. People clamoring for Hogwarts Legacy.... it simply does not beat any games on that list unless you are super dismissive of 2D Mario games, which would make you a bad person. Final Fantasy 16 or Street Fighter VI before Hogwarts for sure.
In late March 2014, Satya Nadella announced in a corporate e-mail that Spencer was to "lead the Xbox, Xbox Live, Groove Music and Movies & TV teams, and Microsoft Studios" as part of the Windows and Devices division.[8][13]

In late March 2014, Satya Nadella announced in a corporate e-mail that Spencer was to "lead the Xbox, Xbox Live, Groove Music and Movies & TV teams, and Microsoft Studios" as part of the Windows and Devices division.[8][13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Spencer_(business_executive)

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I swear to god, of all the overhyped and overachieving games RE 4 is by far the most bizarre to me .... the love for this game that has fuck all to do with RE is baffling to me ... Didnt understand then and dont understand now. Dont get me wrong it might be a great game but what is not is resident evil. And never will be.

miklonus

I'm scared to click on "BEST FIGHTING". I know they're gonna do it. I know they're gonna put Mortal Kombat up there.

This category is Street Fighter 6's to lose.

miklonus

We need a Forspoken was snubbed thread

jj7nunW.jpg

Talk all the shit you want but it was an original IP with a likable, actual female looking female protagonist.

Gotta give credit where it’s due, they really did build a whole new fucking world. The lore, the codex. It just doesn’t happen anymore, at least at whatever budget it had.

Immortals of Aveum is the same way and ironically both games have a lot of similarities besides bombing horribly (despite being really good).

rofif rofif !

Get in here!

Alebrije

Yeah it’s on my play soon list. Among other games. I don’t understand how people can go through games so quickly. I’m still not done with Starfield and it came out over 2 months ago, 2nd playthrough, 200 hours total. Not finished with Zelda either, 80 hours there. Or Hogwarts. I even have some 2022 games to play through. I got stuck playing Elden Ring for 500 hours so everything else was put on hold. I need more time!
Nervous The Big Bang Theory GIF
You suffer the "Open world" syndrome. They "never end"...there is something new to do every day.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We need a Forspoken was snubbed thread

jj7nunW.jpg

Talk all the shit you want but it was an original IP with a likable, actual female looking female protagonist.

Gotta give credit where it’s due, they really did build a whole new fucking world. The lore, the codex. It just doesn’t happen anymore, at least at whatever budget it had.

Immortals of Aveum is the same way and ironically both games have a lot of similarities besides bombing horribly (despite being really good).
It's a great fucking game. Genuinely I think it is really good.
I launched it up yesterday and ps5 is really nicely patched. Stable 40fps/120hz quality mode.
The music is very charming. Combat is actually involving and fun to experiment with.

The game was rushed in some areas but it came out alright imo. It got a lot of hate by ignorants.
rofif rofif !

Get in here!
I am here! Back from reddit. Getting fucked by 200 redditors after recommending the game lol. :messenger_loudly_crying:
But I am prepared. Equipped in new shots and videos too !!!! ps5 quality mode.

The game really can be beautiful at times. Pics because it shows off HDR better:
bpmTTfC.jpg

SORpnU1.jpg

h4CtQDr.jpg

60AIMKS.jpg

Excuse the shitty HDR to SDR colors. Check out parkour fluidity on display

And just animations and cape physics. It's not too bad!

+ more shots ins screenshot and graphics thread

I swear to god, of all the overhyped and overachieving games RE 4 is by far the most bizarre to me .... the love for this game that has fuck all to do with RE is baffling to me ... Didnt understand then and dont understand now. Dont get me wrong it might be a great game but what is not is resident evil. And never will be.
Thankfully this show isn't called the Resident Evil Awards.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It's a great fucking game. Genuinely I think it is really good.
I launched it up yesterday and ps5 is really nicely patched. Stable 40fps/120hz quality mode.
The music is very charming. Combat is actually involving and fun to experiment with.

The game was rushed in some areas but it came out alright imo. It got a lot of hate by ignorants.

I am here! Back from reddit. Getting fucked by 200 redditors after recommending the game lol. :messenger_loudly_crying:
But I am prepared. Equipped in new shots and videos too !!!! ps5 quality mode.

The game really can be beautiful at times. Pics because it shows off HDR better:
bpmTTfC.jpg

SORpnU1.jpg

h4CtQDr.jpg

60AIMKS.jpg

Excuse the shitty HDR to SDR colors. Check out parkour fluidity on display

And just animations and cape physics. It's not too bad!

+ more shots ins screenshot and graphics thread

Dude... I started playing it again last night too from the beginning. Thats where I took the screenshot from.

And it totally solidified it as one of my top 5 for the year.

It just feels so good to play and to run around. Its one of the most satisfying Ubi checklist like games for me in years. I still stand by my feeling that it's totally in the same vein as Infamous. It's like Infamous + The Neverending Story. Its a stranger in a strange land tale. The Break might as well be The Nothing as its the same sort of faceless world destructing entity.

Cant wait to get back to it tonight.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dude... I started playing it again last night too from the beginning. Thats where I took the screenshot from.

And it totally solidified it as one of my top 5 for the year.

It just feels so good to play and to run around. Its one of the most satisfying Ubi checklist like games for me in years. I still stand by my feeling that it's totally in the same vein as Infamous. It's like Infamous + The Neverending Story. Its a stranger in a strange land tale. The Break might as well be The Nothing as its the same sort of faceless world destructing entity.

Cant wait to get back to it tonight.
I disliked some stealth crap in the beginning but it’s only one mission. I loved it at 20fps on release but it’s solid 40 quality and better resolution now.
It kinda got that somber dark souls 2 vibe. I must be a sucker for this type of thing.

I must play immortals. Should get hdr this week rumor is.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I disliked some stealth crap in the beginning but it’s only one mission. I loved it at 20fps on release but it’s solid 40 quality and better resolution now.
It kinda got that somber dark souls 2 vibe. I must be a sucker for this type of thing.

I must play immortals. Should get hdr this week rumor is.

Whenever you jump in let me know and Ill join you in the thread. Ill probably start a fresh game anyway as its been too long and I already forget the plot and what I should be doing.

Fredrik

You suffer the "Open world" syndrome. They "never end"...there is something new to do every day.
That’s what I like. I don’t suffer, all my games on my all time top list is open in some way. I’m not a fan of linear games I can rush through over a weekend or two, those are just side dishes for me, perfect for Gamepass/PS+ but not for purchase, I never think they’re worth the money.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I think this goes back to a lot of antecipation for the game - it didn’t help that Xbox fans were for years calling this the game of the generation that would #destroythecompetiton. And then it came and went with the wind.

No game has more staying power in the minds of gamers this year than starfield. Better games have come and gone with the wind, but Starfield lives rent free in the minds of GAF.

Top Bottom