• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Game of the Year 2023 Nominees

What game do you think will win Game of The year 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
tenor.gif

Because a remake of a resident evil game was clearly more interesting then hogwarts lol /s

Yea it makes no sense at all.
The best part was no Player's Choice at all this year, like they were afraid all the players would vote for Hogwarts because they knew how badly it was snubbed

If Player's Choice mysteriously returns next year we'll all know the truth about why it vanished this year

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
We need a Forspoken was snubbed thread

jj7nunW.jpg

Talk all the shit you want but it was an original IP with a likable, actual female looking female protagonist.

Gotta give credit where it’s due, they really did build a whole new fucking world. The lore, the codex. It just doesn’t happen anymore, at least at whatever budget it had.

Immortals of Aveum is the same way and ironically both games have a lot of similarities besides bombing horribly (despite being really good).

I could imagine a scenario where Alan Wake 2 takes the surprise victory and lots of people have meltdowns over it. No Hogwarts nominations is indeed conspicuous, players loved it, it got a great critical reception and it happens to be the *2nd best selling game of 2023*. Pretty shameful to play politics and not give credit where it's due.

I could imagine a scenario where Alan Wake 2 takes the surprise victory and lots of people have meltdowns over it. No Hogwarts nominations is indeed conspicuous, players loved it, it got a great critical reception and it happens to be the *2nd best selling game of 2023*. Pretty shameful to play politics and not give credit where it's due.
Imagine the drama if Wonder takes the prize. That would be must see tv.

my $.02 from a now-locked thread:

c'mon, now - how could a legitimate, out-of-left-field smash sensation that's sold over 15 million copies, earned a billion dollars, & been in the top 10 every month since release possibly be considered a worthy goty candidate, when you've got masterpieces like, say, alan wake 2 to consider?...

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
When it comes to most anticipated title I'm choosing FF7 Rebirth easily. If I had to chose between that game being released or everything else on my list I'm still choosing FF7.

Fishels

The best part was no Player's Choice at all this year, like they were afraid all the players would vote for Hogwarts because they knew how badly it was snubbed

If Player's Choice mysteriously returns next year we'll all know the truth about why it vanished this year
SJW choice

Fredrik

Completely ignoring Hogwarts Legacy is disrespectful to the developers and the fans! Exploring Hogwarts and taking in all the crazy amounts of intricate detail, throughout the world completely immersed me. I'm biased though as I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, but it's definitely my game of the year.

oBzorNB.gif
I dropped it quite early, need to get back to it some day and give it another chance, a coworker said it was his GOTY. And I agree, even if it didn’t excite me it would’ve been fun to at least have it nominated, new AAA IPs is a rare thing.

But what do I know I’ve literally only played 2/6 of the nominees so far so this event goes under my radar this year. Wonder and TOTK. I voted for TOTK everywhere. Starfield for RPG. Oh well I hope to have played more games when it’s time to vote on GAF.

Dazraell

Each of the nominees are unique experiences, amazing games and really strong contenders, so honestly losing in a crowd like this is still a huge honor and there won't be wrong choices here. But I think Baldur's Gate III will take the GOTY award. Out of these games, BG3 feels the one that is the most impactful - the amount of variables that Larian went into to personalise players' experiences is unparalleled and everything was wrapped in a highest quality package that is one of the best RPGs we have on a market. This is the game that future games in the genre will try to emulate and reference as inspiration. It's a success that really deserves to be noticed

Dazraell

What about cyberpunk for ongoing game?
Personally speaking, I'm not a fan of this choice as Cyberpunk isn't really an ongoing game. It had patches, fixes and expansion (which was amazing), but the development is already completed and they moved to the next game. I guess some can say it's a similar case as with No Man's Sky, but not really as from my understanding Hello Games isn't concluding the development any time soon

What I feel would be better is a category with Best expansion / DLC as we had some really good ones released this year that could be nominated alongside Cyberpunk

Thirty7ven

Banned
I dropped it quite early, need to get back to it some day and give it another chance, a coworker said it was his GOTY. And I agree, even if it didn’t excite me it would’ve been fun to at least have it nominated, new AAA IPs is a rare thing.

But what do I know I’ve literally only played 2/6 of the nominees so far so this event goes under my radar this year. Wonder and TOTK. I voted for TOTK everywhere. Starfield for RPG. Oh well I hope to have played more games when it’s time to vote on GAF.

If you like RPGs play Baldurs Gate 3.

Ooof, how does starfield not get nominated for sound design/soundtrack and art?

That's crazy.

On the art front because it’s bog standard sci fi? Can only get 5 noms anyway it seems so some had to be left out.

As far as soundtrack I haven’t heard enough of Starfield, but FFXI is the clear favorite for me.

Last edited:

Ribi

A remake of a resident evil game and a rehash of Nintendo IPs yet no Hogwarts is certainly a choice

No atomic heart in the art category might genuinely give credit to the idea that they forget games exist if they come out too early. Holy fuck that's actually embarrassing that it's not there. Wow, that's the real snub. Anti Russia?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Todd managing to get one of the most hyped games of the past 10 years getting beated by fucking pander-man 2 is never gonna be not funny.

BootsLoader

Banned
I would like Tears of the Kingdom as game of the year but I know it won’t happen. Good list however, glad to see there’s no starfield there.

CashPrizes

pRrB7wt_d.webp

Should really get more attention. A decade of great exclusives for 2 consoles (even tho 4 of those Nintendo games are not even good, and 1 Sony game *Cough"Death Stranding!"*cough)).
A decade of incompetence by Xbone.

Voted for BG3, nice to know it is going to win. Pretty much a slam dunk. People clamoring for Hogwarts Legacy.... it simply does not beat any games on that list unless you are super dismissive of 2D Mario games, which would make you a bad person. Final Fantasy 16 or Street Fighter VI before Hogwarts for sure.

Top Bottom