• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Good Fight |OT| Nasty Women - Sundays on CBS All Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
goodfight_poster_publicity-_embed_2016.jpg

The Good Fight picks up one year after the events of the final episode of "The Good Wife." In the new series, an enormous financial scam has destroyed the reputation of a young lawyer, Maia Rindell, while simultaneously wiping out her mentor and godmother Diane Lockhart's savings. Forced out of Lockhart & Lee, they join Lucca Quinn at one of Chicago's preeminent law firms. THE GOOD FIGHT premieres Sunday, Feb. 19 at 8:00 PM, ET on-demand on CBS All Access, the CBS Television Network's digital subscription video-on demand and live streaming service. In addition, a special broadcast of the premiere episode will air on the CBS Television Network that same night, Sunday, Feb. 19 at 8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT. CBS All Access will also offer subscribers the second episode of THE GOOD FIGHT on-demand that same night. After premiere night, all new episodes will be available weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers. The series will contain 10 episodes.

Starring:
Christine Baranski as Diane Lockhart, who loses her savings after an enormous financial scam and must join Lucca Quinn at one of Chicago’s pre-eminent law firms.
Cush Jumbo as Lucca Quinn, who begins to work with Diane at one of Chicago's pre-eminent law firms.
Rose Leslie as Maia Rindell, Diane's lesbian goddaughter who joins Diane's firm just after passing the bar. Maia and her parents are the unofficial First Family of Chicago.
Delroy Lindo as Adrian Boseman, an attorney who starts poaching Diane Lockhart’s associates and clients when she gets into financial trouble and threatens her ability to stay in business.
Sarah Steele as Marissa Gold, who begins as Diane Lockhart’s secretary, but finds she has a knack for investigating.
Justin Bartha as Colin Morrello, a successful lawyer in the State Attorney's office and rival/potential love interest of Lucca.
Erica Tazel as Barbara Kolstad, founding partner at Reddick, Boseman, & Kolstad, the law firm Diane and Maia move to after the financial scandal.

the-good-fight-featured.jpg

Teaser Trailer
Full Length Trailer
(official YT links are region locked sigh)

Rotten Tomatoes: 100% Fresh (23 Reviews, 7.78/10 Average)
Metacritic: 79
AV Club: (B) The Good Fight is extremely familiar territory for Good Wife fans
Vulture: The Good Fight Is Very Good TV
Hollywood Reporter: Unless you discover that what you really liked about The Good Wife was the soap opera of Alicia Florrick's life, you'll find this a welcome return.
NY Times: On ‘The Good Fight,’ a Lawyer Claws Her Way Back to Normal
IndieWire: CBS Makes the Case for Its Netflix-Style Service With Emmy-Certified Spin-off

Sorry for the weak OT, just figured we needed something. First episode has Diane shook at Trump becoming president, so that'll be a ball. Also apparently there's a bunch of swearing in the show, so yay.

Pixieking

Banned
Even if I didn't care about the story, I'd be in this purely for Christine Baranski. Cush Jumbo's performance in the last season of TGW was good, but Baranski is always always always worth watching.

Oh, apparently the CBS All Access episodes are slightly longer than standard network episodes, so it's not just swearing that makes it more cable TV-esque.

ZeroX03

Banned
I heard good things about The good wife do i need to see that before watching The Good Fight

It's basically a direct sequel. I'd say you should probably watch The Good Wife first.

It's pretty bingeable and dances between serialized and case of the week well.

Goodstyle

This feels less like a sequel and more like an excuse to keep doing the show without having to deal with Margulies.

Rose Leslie is in this 🤔 Interested.

I might actually take the time to check out the good wife though first, everyone seems to like it.
Edit: also love the title

So, uh... is CBS All Access available in Canada? Their site kind of sucks for finding out info on it.

pls i need more goodness

what a weird picture. Why is one woman on the floor? Why can't the girl above her stop taking up the whole damn sofa and let the poor lady sit down. Every single one of those people look like they are in extremely uncomfortable positions.

cool socks though, you can tell those socks make him the rebel

adg1034

And the most important part: Elspeth is coming back!

Fingers crossed that the Kings can recreate some of the perfection of The Good Wife's earlier seasons.

kevin1025

Banned
So, uh... is CBS All Access available in Canada? Their site kind of sucks for finding out info on it.

pls i need more goodness

Only available in the US. In Canada, we're getting it on the W Network, same night and same time every week.

So is next Sunday going to be episode three for Access subscribers, since two will be available tonight on Access?

I wonder if they'll bring Kalinda back?

Seemed like the only reason she left was because the main actress of the Good Wife had a beef with her. (or so the rumor was)

Pixieking

Banned
I wonder if they'll bring Kalinda back?

Seemed like the only reason she left was because the main actress of the Good Wife had a beef with her.

Her scenes were always fun to watch, but they ended her story-arc sufficiently well that I'm not dying to see her again.

Also, The Good Wife spoilers (S6)

They'd have to deal with Lemond Bishop, considering that she is presumably still wanted by him and whatever is left of his operation.

Seems a bit too much hassle, but who knows?

Her scenes were always fun to watch, but they ended her story-arc sufficiently well that I'm not dying to see her again.

Also, The Good Wife spoilers:

They'd have to deal with Lemond Bishop, considering that she is presumably still wanted by him and whatever is left of his operation.

You could handwave that by saying
Bishop died in jail
but I would imagine Archie Panjabi doesn't feel great about the showrunners either.

I'm hoping the cast shake up will make the show seem fresh, as the last season of GW was pretty stale. I still think it has great potential removed from the main GW storyline(not that any of them was bad, but it needed to end).

Pixieking

Banned
You could handwave that by saying
Bishop died in jail
but I would imagine Archie Panjabi doesn't feel great about the showrunners either.

Yeah, that handwaving is something that could be done if the Kings and Archie Panjabi were really champing to get back together, but I doubt it'd happen. Never occurred to me she might not feel great about them, but you're probably right.

Alicia was the worst part of the series for a couple of seasons now, this will hopefully get things back in gear

But no Eli Gold, which makes me sad. :(

ZeroX03

Banned
The censored version is live on CBS now, I think the first two uncensored episodes should be on CBS All Access now but I've yet to try and jump through the VPN hoops to find out for myself.

Alicia was the worst part of the series for a couple of seasons now.

That was on purpose.

All those seemingly pointless episodes where Alicia does something to piss Diane off and then by the episode's end it is blown under the rug? They were all leading up to the slap in the finale.

TripOpt55

I plan to give the first episode a try on my DVR. Then I will probably just sub to Access for a month after it has all aired (or use the trial) and binge the whole thing. I really like the cast a lot and even if I was not a big fan of the last two seasons of The Good Wife, the earlier stuff means this is worth a shot. Hope it is good.

Also, The Good Wife spoilers (S6)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if she doesn't show up, but would be pleasantly surprised if she does.

And I felt like the Lemond Bishop storyline kinda got dropped from Good Wife too. Yeah, he went to prison, but I kept expecting him to show back up before the Good Wife ended.
Hopefully Mike Colter isn't too busy being Luke Cage on Netflix to make a guest appearance on this show. Really loved his character.

Linkura

May as well give this shit a try, I got nothing else to do. Will report back. I bailed on TGW mid-season 6, so I have no frame of reference for Lucca.

Edit: Not up online yet for free, only the All Access versions. If they put up the TV version for free, I'll watch it.

ZeroX03

Banned
I plan to give the first episode a try on my DVR. Then I will probably just sub to Access for a month after it has all aired (or use the trial) and binge the whole thing. I really like the cast a lot and even if I was not a big fan of the last two seasons of The Good Wife, the earlier stuff means this is worth a shot. Hope it is good.

I expect a lot of people will do that. Why subscribe for three months for ten episodes when you can easily binge those ten episodes in a week? Unless you really want to catch up on all their procedurals? The Star Trek delay certainly didn't help.

Enjoyed these two episodes more than any from the last 1.5 seasons of The Good Wife.

Good to hear!

Not exactly a high bar. :) Would like to know how it comes to good Good Wife.

Indeed. I powered through the first five seasons on Amazon Instant over a two-week staycation, but that Cary storyline that kicked off season six was a goddamn slog, and I had a hard time staying invested after that.

Linkura

Indeed. I powered through the first five seasons on Amazon Instant over a two-week staycation, but that Cary storyline that kicked off season six was a goddamn slog, and I had a hard time staying invested after that.

The exact scene when I ragequit the show was when Cary barely crossed state lines and his probation officer found out and went all hardball on him. I was like, "Who gives a shit about this stupid crap, I'm out."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Huh, it's airing on a network in Canada, but presumably after it all ends or some time of exclusivity for CBS Access.

I mean, I guess I'm okay with them basically ignoring Alicia and I'm not asking for an info dump explaining what happened after the slap, but they should have just not mentioned her at all at that point.

kevin1025

Banned
Huh, it's airing on a network in Canada, but presumably after it all ends or some time of exclusivity for CBS Access.

I mean, I guess I'm okay with them basically ignoring Alicia and I'm not asking for an info dump explaining what happened after the slap, but they should have just not mentioned her at all at that point.

I found out earlier today it's airing Sundays on W Network, randomly enough. So we get it day and date, and the same place we get UnReal!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I found out earlier today it's airing Sundays on W Network, randomly enough. So we get it day and date, and the same place we get UnReal!
Ah, that makes sense. Sort of like the deal they made with Star Trek. Still, no cable, so basically can't watch it. lol

Pixieking

Banned
Haven't seen it yeeeeeeet.

Just a note though. I'm not sure how spoilers would be dealt with for The Good Wife here? There's at least one person who posted/lurking in this thread who hasn't seen it, so maybe tag TGW plot-points?

*shrugs*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haven't seen it yeeeeeeet.

Just a note though. I'm not sure how spoilers would be dealt with for The Good Wife here? There's at least one person who posted/lurking in this thread who hasn't seen it, so maybe tag TGW plot-points?

*shrugs*

I don't think this show cares about continuity, so there's probably nothing to spoil anyway.

ZeroX03

Banned
Re: TGW spoilers, I guess we can probably dance around Alicia stuff and that certain big thing that happens but there's a lot of recurring characters and obviously Diane's story is continued so you're going to get spoiled on the ending of TGW regardless.

I don't think this show cares about continuity, so there's probably nothing to spoil anyway.

Huh? Where'd you get that idea from? I haven't seen it yet, but everything we've heard represents it as a direct sequel.

SaintZ

Well I liked the episode. I think I like all the new main characters so far and I felt really bad for Diane and Maia.

Even though Kurt cheated I like that he wants to fight for Diane. I really like the pairing dammit!

Diane found a new firm really fast didn't she? So much for being poison.

I didn't mind the Alicia references. They were kept to a minimum and it would have weird if Diane hadn't asked Lucca about her tbh.

Was Maia's mom really going to backstab her own daughter? The actress was really bad I thought.

ZeroX03

Banned
I mean, in the same way that NCIS is a continuation of JAG I guess. lol

Not really, they literally say in the promos it's a direct continuation of The Good Wife story that uses a whole bunch of characters from the original series in regular roles. It's not a spin off based on a backdoor pilot kind of deal. They're very much building on the world they made, even judges and the like are back.

Pixieking

Banned
Well I liked the episode. I think I like all the new main characters so far and I felt really bad for Diane and Maia.

Even though Kurt cheated I like that he wants to fight for Diane. I really like the pairing dammit!

Gary Cole ftw, man. It really is a great pairing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not really, they literally say in the promos it's a direct continuation of The Good Wife story that uses a whole bunch of characters from the original series in regular roles. It's not a spin off based on a backdoor pilot kind of deal. They're very much building on the world they made, even judges and the like are back.
Like I said, they mention Alicia once, and the way they set up the show, you could jump straight in and not know anything about The Good Wife and be fine.
It's like how DS9 is a direct continuation of TNG, and even has two cast members from TNG, but DS9 really has nothing to do with TNG.

Maybe there will be some character stuff with Diane to spoil, but if they're not even going to mention Alicia or the Florricks and their stupidity, I don't think any of that matters.

TripOpt55

I watched the first episode (the one they aired on TV, not sure if they cut anything out besides certain words). I enjoyed it. I think where Diane and Maia end up is pretty intriguing. I really liked Rose Leslie in this. Delroy Lindo was good too. Looking forward to seeing some of the recurring characters from the series popping up. They had great guest characters on The Good Wife. I thought it had funny moments too like the stuff with the receptionists reciting the long firm name and the bits with the flowers. So, yeah, I will watch the rest in a few months I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom