• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Good Fight |OT| Nasty Women - Sundays on CBS All Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
Kurt cheating always felt really out of character to me.

Yeah, for someone so wrapped-up in honour and integrity, it is a bit weird. But perhaps that's the point? That even someone for whom integrity is the be-all-and-end-all, cheating isn't impossible?

I watched the first episode (the one they aired on TV, not sure if they cut anything out besides certain words). I enjoyed it. I think where Diane and Maia end up is pretty intriguing. I really liked Rose Leslie in this. Delroy Lindo was good too. Looking forward to seeing some of the recurring characters from the series popping up. They had great guest characters on The Good Wife. I thought it had funny moments too like the stuff with the receptionists reciting the long firm name and the bits with the flowers. So, yeah, I will watch the rest in a few months I guess!

Run time for the TV episode is 42 minutes, run time for CBS All Access episode is 48 minutes. Though it's a good sign that you couldn't really tell they'd cut 6 minutes or so from it.

So they only aired the first episode on W tonight? I guess Canada will be a week behind then.
Anyways, I thought it was good. More Good Wife without Alicia and her kids, I was kind of sick of her by the end of it anyways. It really did feel like more of a sequel than a spin off though.

Pixieking

Banned
First ep down.

I like it. I really do. Not let-down by Baranski's performance - I really think she's got a commanding presence.

Lucca being asked to put-on an accent amused me no end, since Cush is British. I'm sure that's not her actual accent (or at least, it's very rare to hear that plummy "what-ho chaps" style anymore, so I'd be surprised), but still, very amusing.

Good (sparing) use of the F-word, too. Used in situations where people would actually use it. Shocking. :p

Also, I <3 Gary Cole. :D

Tea, then on to episode 2.

Edit: 48 minutes in length, but it didn't seem overly long. Some series/episodes drag at about 35/40 minute mark, but this didn't.

Edit 2: Ep 2 is 52 minutes in length, which is interesting. 10 minutes over what network TV generally allows. Going to see if my point about not feeling overly long still stands after this.

Edit 3: Ep 2 not as good as they first ep, but still interesting. It's more resolution of the events of the first episode than anything else, so it was needed, but I think it could've worked better if they hadn't split it into two - just have one feature-length first ep. Marissa's still awesome, though, so it's all good. Looking forward to next week and episode 3. Oh! Also, kind-of felt overly-long, but I think that's due to the case-of-the-week's conclusion being obvious. I've seen too many legal dramas to not see that shoe being dropped from a mile away.

Rymuth

Finished.

Okay, I'm in. This was very enjoyable. Diane is far better than Alicia and I hope she doesn't turn as despicable.

Real surprised how much I've missed watching Delroy Lindo

Sloane

Banned
I've only watched the first episode so far; not bad but a little boring, maybe because it was pretty much all premise. Didn't really like the new look and the swearing sounded pretty tacky, also felt a bit weird to make this kind of a continuation but barely mention anything from TGW.

No idea where they are going with the show yet, maybe things will be clearer after episode 2.

Yeah, for someone so wrapped-up in honour and integrity, it is a bit weird. But perhaps that's the point? That even someone for whom integrity is the be-all-and-end-all, cheating isn't impossible?
It's probably just Gary Cole not being available or too expensive and the best solution they could come up with. Also probably a good idea not to dive too deep into Diane's family life for now.

Pixieking

Banned
Episode 2 defines Maia and her family more, which I think helps the show. I don't particularly like her, though. I think that's because I always find strong female characters more interesting than squishy emotionally fragile female characters. Maybe? *shrugs*

It's probably just Gary Cole not being available or too expensive and the best solution they could come up with. Also probably a good idea not to dive too deep into Diane's family life for now.

Mmmm. If they're aiming for an ensemble show (which it definitely feels like they are with the screen-time each character is getting), focusing on Diane's family in the first 2/3/4 eps would be stupid.

PK Gaming

The Good Wife managed to burn up pretty much all of its good will in the final season

The Good Fight immediately makes up for it in its first episode

Hopefully they manage to keep the momentum up

Cartman86

Banned
That's some great TV. Really happy this turned out good. I hope it continues to be good and gets enough eyes to continue.

sammex

Thought I was done with The Good Wife after hanging in there for the last couple of seasons but The Good Fight has drawn me right back in. It's funny how three of the main cast are British (if you count Delroy Lindo being born and living there until his teens).

First and second episode were solid. That intro with Diane being disgusted by 45's inauguration was good. Also I liked how the show tackled all of the abuse messages, death threats and harassment that came Maia's way. Also like how they can curse, hearing Diane say fuck was pretty wow worthy after seven seasons.

Also like how there's a lot more minority actors here, Diane moving to a black law firm was a great idea, especially after how pretty clearly discrimanatory Lockhart and Gardner was. First episode starting with a police brutality case was also a good idea.

Thought it was pretty funny that Maia was worried about looking entitled, given her actress fucking grew up in a castle lol

Karu

Julius' can't catch a break, holy shit haha.

A bit of a shame, that they never really did something with him and now again, basically ousting him for a rather lacking subplot.

Ending to the court case was brutal, though. Fantastic twist.

ZeroX03

Banned
Okay I'm finally caught up on all three episodes.

Love the show. Diane is glorious as usual. Lucca is playing some hybrid of Alicia and Kalinda which I think works well for her. Delroy Lindo is a scene stealer. Erica Tazel has had more lines in this than a season of Justified already, hopefully we get more with her because so far she's mostly just had dour to play. Maia is the weak link. I'm not sure if it's the actress or the writing but it's hard to get invested in the storyline, especially when she's not the entire focus of the show like Alicia was. There's only so much deer in the headlights I can take.

And tackling diversity was one of TGW's weak points, I'm glad they're trying to redeem themselves here.

wait, this show is only on this All Access shit?

they played one episode last sunday and now they're up to episode 3 and i dont see it listed to air tonight.

edit: read the OP. this sucks.

PK Gaming

There had to have been a better way to approach the twitter-bot subplot. "Self-duplicating program" my ass.

Aside from that, the episode was solid. This is a much better show than the Good Wife.

adg1034

So, today's episode was terrific. A little more Good Wife-y than the last few, partially due to all the returning characters, but also because the lighter moments really worked. And <character>'s scenes with Mike Kresteva were pure gold.

pigeon

Banned
ELSBETH YES.

Please give her a spinoff~

Like the Punisher, Elspeth only works in small doses. Elspeth is a brilliant way to resolve the problem of who the lawyers hire as their lawyer, but humans can't live in that world. It'd be like watching a POV video of a squirrel that fights crime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Like the Punisher, Elspeth only works in small doses. Elspeth is a brilliant way to resolve the problem of who the lawyers hire as their lawyer, but humans can't live in that world. It'd be like watching a POV video of a squirrel that fights crime.
I love her insanity. I want to live in her brain. lol

4 episodes in, I like this more that Good wife, more condense. Rating is not good?
Unless CBS got a few million new subscribers or something, I assume they're never going to announce any numbers for the show.

Rymuth

5 episodes in and she already wants to be named partner. SMH, Diane. That kind of greed is exactly what destroyed your last firm over and over.

PK Gaming

Elsbeth was so good here

She was awful during the latter seasons of the Good Wife (though I guess that applied to most characters)

I wonder if the Good Fight writers can salvage Eli...

JackDT

This show is okay, but it's starting from the same quality the Good Wife ended at. Maybe it can have a reverse Good Wife arc and get better with every season instead?

The technical stuff too... some real blunders on this show, where the GW often did a surprisingly good job instead. At least the early seasons. A smaller one that drove me nuts was the 13 post limit thing. That's the kind of rule a crowd would figure out by brute force testing trivially, and even worse, I though the entire point was they writing the ToS so it would be listed right in there with nothing to 'leak' about it. What?

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but on Canadian cable--Telus specifically, maybe the others too--the aired episodes of The Good Fight are available freely On Demand.

Really handy if you miss one. And no commercials!
SEASON TWO CONFIRMED

FUCK YEAH

Oh sweet.

I've really enjoyed the episodes thus far. Not fully on board with Maia's or Lucca's stuff, but everything else is great.

Shizuka

I know that it's a short season and they're focusing on the main arc, but I miss the "different case for each episode while moving forward with the plot" show.

I know that it's a short season and they're focusing on the main arc, but I miss the "different case for each episode while moving forward with the plot" show.

But it is doing that.

Case last week was the Internet abuse case (not technically a case, I guess), and before that it was the guy releasing a TV episode early case, and before that was the lady getting her egg back (a pretty good one IMO), and there was that doctor giving medical advice to terrorists, etc.

It feels like Good Fight has basically the same balance of "Case of the Week" and "Main story arc" as the Good Wife had. Maybe it seems like there's more "main story" going on because it's split between the new girl's family scandal, Diane getting her life back together, and the guy from Friends trying to take down the new firm.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah they're still doing case of the week stuff, it's just the main stories for the leads get a bit more time to breathe with 50min episodes.

Also I'll say this show has great pacing for longer episodes. I hate most shows with extended run times because they get bogged down in slow dialogue scenes and unnecessarily flowery cinematography. This show for the most part keeps things pretty snappy and avoids the Netflix bloat feel*. The network heritage helps!

In general I think the show is pretty strong. Maia is the weakest character, because she feels so passive in her own storyline. And I know people like the actress, but she simultaneously seems like a child in way over her head and like a thirty year old playing a twenty two year old. The character lacks confidence and I'm not sure the casting fits whatever they want out of her. Also give Erica Tazel something to do other than be the stick in the mud, she was great in Justified and she barely got anything in that show! Delroy Lindo is a treasure obviously. The energy from the writing is back in a way that hasn't really been since TGW S5 at least, and it's obvious they feel free to make it a more political, opinionated show.

* I do not care for the opening credits at all

SaintZ

The episode was pretty good. I wonder what's gonna happen with Maia's dad. Is he going back to jail?

I'm glad Morelo didn't ditch Lucca because I like their relationship.

Also

luccapenyvubd.gif

Pixieking

Banned
Rather behind, so only on episode 5. Got to say, I do love when Matthew Perry gets something more than just "Chandler from Friends". He does sneaky/sinister very well.

I'm finding the court-cases less interesting than The Good Wife ones, but the relationships/characters are definitely worth watching the show for.

* I do not care for the opening credits at all

I like them, but at the same time, find them very... One-note? Like, I watched them in the first couple of episodes, now I just skip. Unlike, say, Game of Thrones.

Sloane

Banned
I don't see many posts about this, how's it? The same boredom as the last seasons of TGW or...?
Nah, it's good. Not as good (yet) as TGW at its best, but its on the same level as season 2 and 3 or so. Characters are mostly fun and got pretty nice chemistry, cases of the week are much more interesting than at the end of TGW, and the political stuff has been toned down a bit. Some callbacks feel pretty forced and some parts are plain out dumb (the Milo episode, for example, sure seemed nice on paper but the execution with that panel was incredibly stupid) but to me it's definitely worth watching. Wish there were more than 10 episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, that was a thing.
Dragging in all those former Good Wife guest stars felt like a bit too much like they wanted us to remember the old show. It's like they were afraid of trying to just break free of the Good Wife baggage completely.

The Maia stuff was the weakest aspect of the show and I think you could excise her from the show and pretty much nothing would change. Diane basically got all the "white woman at a Black law firm" storylines, while Lucca got all the "young sexy lawyer" storylines.... so Maia is just the boring girl with a scandal attached to her that no one really cares about.

It's not bad I guess. Certainly not as stupid as the final seasons of The Good Wife, but it just feels like a pale imitation of something you've already seen before.

Shizuka

I enjoyed the season for what it was, a dose of "The Good Wife" for those that didn't want to do without the show.

ZeroX03

Banned
That was a fun finale! Chaotic in all the right ways. Always great to have Kurt back, it sucked how they drove his character in the ground so now they literally had him save a baby to make up for it. Lucca as the new Kalinda is always fun. Sarah Steele and the investigator have a great rapport. The best part of this show is still when Delroy Lindo's smile just lights up the screen. Jane Lynch's Reverse Elsbeth in the previous was delightful.

Also Erica Tazel has yet another gig where she's the least important member of the cast with no storylines? Sucks for her. So then this article came as a welcome read:

The Good Fight Finale: Robert and Michelle King Talk Twist Ending, Tease More Barbara (and Eli?!) in Season 2

PK Gaming

Maia (In the most irritating, cracked voice you could possible imagine): U-uncle... Jax.

Maia's a good character, but her put-upon on American accent is absolutely, absolutely terrible. Makes it pretty difficult to take her seriously.

Also yes Adrian is best dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom