• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

So is there still talk about Bloom as Legolas? He wasn't in the original book, and if he's asking some crazy amount of money given his screentime and role in this one just let him go for crying out loud. He's been pretty much the weakest link in everything he's been in since LOTR (and there it was debatable).

I still remember following the preproduction, production, and postproduction of the LOTR trilogy for so long, it was almost deflating when ROTK finally released and suddenly there was nothing left to follow (aside from the EE of ROTK). This won't be quite that, but it's quite the feeling to be following the goings on of another Jackson-directed Tolkien film.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

Branduil

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Branduil said:
Why would they need to film Mount Doom for the Hobbit?
I am of the belief they are tieing up loose ends and trying to merge in some sense the films, given that spin it would stand to reason they would show it at some point, maybe the end of the second film.

Couldn't they just reuse shots from the trilogy and CG it up?
I mean, if we can replace a human face over and old guy in Tron 2, we can make up a mountain.

Looking at the pics I just have this to say:
Martin Freeman is a perfect Bilbo.
James Nesbitt is awesome.
Aiden Turner has really bulked up since series 2 of Being Human.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hobbit doesn't go anywhere near Mt. Doom. It shouldn't enter into the story in any capacity.

Dead

well not really...yet
Its possible they wanted to use the location to film something other than Mount Doom. IIRC there were locations that were used for multiple areas in LOTR

AceBandage said:
Couldn't they just reuse shots from the trilogy and CG it up?
I mean, if we can replace a human face over and old guy in Tron 2, we can make up a mountain.

Get that CG shit out of my Rings.

These films effects are nearly timeless due to the minimal use of CG outside of monsters.

Dead

well not really...yet
Flying_Phoenix said:

These films effects are nearly timeless due to the minimal use of CG outside of monsters.
derp

LOTR has tons of CG. Deal with it. Hobbit will probably have even more too.

lol at trying to paint LOTR as the last bastion of non CG filmmaking.

GCX

Dead said:
derp

LOTR has tons of CG. Deal with it. Hobbit will probably have even more too.

lol at trying to paint LOTR as the last bastion of non CG filmmaking.
There is a ton of CG in LOTR but a lot less than one would initially think.

For example, they could've just made up a few simple CG shots of Edoras but no, they actually built the whole fucking town on some windy hill in the middle of nowhere.

Dead

well not really...yet
GCX said:

For example, they could've just made a couple of CG shots of Edoras but no, they actually built the whole fucking town on some windy hill in the middle of nowhere.
Sure.

Doesn't change the fact that the phrase "get that cg shit out of my rings" is utterly hilarious considering the volume of CG in the movies (and that it has some seriously egregious misuses of CG as well) and the movies got progressively more CG heavy as they went on, to say nothing about Peter Jacksons tendencies to use CG more and more as well.

Lebron

Flying_Phoenix said:

Yeah, you haven't watched LOTR if you think it was minimal.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I agree with both of you. LOTRO had extensive use of CG, but it also had extensive use of sets, props, and miniatures. The phrase "get that CG shit out of my rings" is indeed fairly laughable, given how CG-heavy the titles are. Probably half (or more) the shots in the entire trilogy have some form of CG.

But, that being said, the fact that Edoras, Hobbiton, and Minas Tirith existed as real, practical sets... the importance and value of this can't be overstated. The use of miniatures and sets instead of CG throughout the trilogy IMMEASURABLY upped their quality.

Lebron

No doubt. Overall, the film had a good mix of CG and real and it's why it still will be believable years later. Just had to point out the stupid in his comment, is all.

As long as Jackson doesn't go CG crazy like he did in Lovely Bones, it'll be fine.

Dead said:
Sure.

Doesn't change the fact that the phrase "get that cg shit out of my rings" is utterly hilarious considering the volume of CG in the movies (and that it has some seriously egregious misuses of CG as well) and the movies got progressively more CG heavy as they went on, to say nothing about Peter Jacksons tendencies to use CG more and more as well.

Agreed, but perhaps he meant the use of CG as a crutch. The film's effects work so well because they were used rather smartly; there aren't many "here's some folks in front of a green screen" shots. They actually went on location and got some beautiful shots, built towns/cities and then used CG to make them look even bigger.

ROTK has some of the worst effects in the series in part due to the increase in CG and green screen stuff. And as you said, Jackson has since become more dependent on CG. Given his friendly competition with washed up filmmakers like Cameron and Spielberg, I'd imagine The Hobbit will have a shit ton of unnecessary CG in an attempt to evolve the medium. Meh. I trust Jackson but this is just another area that has me wary.

PhoenixDark said:
Agreed, but perhaps he meant the use of CG as a crutch. The film's effects work so well because they were used rather smartly; there aren't many "here's some folks in front of a green screen" shots. They actually went on location and got some beautiful shots, built towns/cities and then used CG to make them look even bigger.

ROTK has some of the worst effects in the series in part due to the increase in CG and green screen stuff. And as you said, Jackson has since become more dependent on CG. Given his friendly competition with washed up filmmakers like Cameron and Spielberg, I'd imagine The Hobbit will have a shit ton of unnecessary CG in an attempt to evolve the medium. Meh. I trust Jackson but this is just another area that has me wary.

I'll bite. Where has Cameron used CG unnecessarily and since when does one film make Spielberg washed up? I guess he was washed up after 1941 eh?

Scullibundo said:
I'll bite. Where has Cameron used CG unnecessarily and since when does one film make Spielberg washed up? I guess he was washed up after 1941 eh?

Not saying he has used it unnecessarily, I'm saying Jackson may want to do his own CG monstrosity given Avatar's impact; friendly competition to one up the current standard.

On Spielberg...Munich was the last good thing he did. He's been rather boring for a long ass time, and I see nothing on his horizon that'll change that. War Horse and Lincoln sound like they'll be typical Spielberg sentimental award fodder, not a fan of Tin Tin.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
PhoenixDark said:
Not saying he has used it unnecessarily, I'm saying Jackson may want to do his own CG monstrosity given Avatar's impact; friendly competition to one up the current standard.

On Spielberg...Munich was the last good thing he did. He's been rather boring for a long ass time, and I see nothing on his horizon that'll change that. War Horse and Lincoln sound like they'll be typical Spielberg sentimental award fodder, not a fan of Tin Tin.

He has directed one movie after Munich.

War Horse sounds like shit but Tin Tin is gonna ROCK THE SHIT. Even if you're not a fan of the strips just look at the names involved: Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg/Nick Frost, Daniel Craig, Andy Serkis, John Williams, Jackson on production and Spielberg directing.

Nerdgasm

Not to mention last decade Spielberg made AI, Minority Report and Catch Me if You Can. I'm not a big fan of Munich but that was alright too.

And uh isn't Munich sentimental award fodder too? Why like that and dismiss Lincoln and War Horse? Flame me I'm off to bed brahs.

Discotheque said:
War Horse sounds like shit but Tin Tin is gonna ROCK THE SHIT. Even if you're not a fan of the strips just look at the names involved: Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg/Nick Frost, Daniel Craig, Andy Serkis, John Williams, Jackson on production and Spielberg directing.

Nerdgasm

Not to mention last decade Spielberg made AI, Minority Report and Catch Me if You Can. I'm not a big fan of Munich but that was alright too.

And uh isn't Munich sentimental award fodder too? Why like that and dismiss Lincoln and War Horse? Flame me I'm off to bed brahs.

Have you seen Munich?

Yeah it's not bad, but I don't remember much from it. I haven't seen it in a while. But I find it strange that he's dismissing those other films as awards-bait when Munich could be classified as such too.

I'm sure I liked it, but if I liked it as much as the other films I mentioned then it would have left a greater impression on me. I'll probably do a mini-nu-Spielberg marathon as we get closer to TinTin release.

Flying_Phoenix said:

wut? The LOTR films are filled with CG, and really it's one of it's weakest aspect. Even at release many of the CG shots were meh, and now they are pretty nasty looking.

Dead

well not really...yet
PhoenixDark said:

Actually, Two Towers is filled shoddy with green screen footage

ROTK and TTT dont look worse because they used more CG, they HAD to use it for what was being depicted (for the most part, dumb legolas scenes aside). They looked worse because the CG work wasn't up to par. If the movies were done by the WETA of today, the movies would all look on par with each other, regardless of which movie has more CG.

Your poor trolling aside, yes it is a given that The Hobbit will have more CG, but WETA are now a lot stronger at it than they were 10 years ago.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
GCX said:

For example, they could've just made up a few simple CG shots of Edoras but no, they actually built the whole fucking town on some windy hill in the middle of nowhere.
Outside of the obvious stuff, LOTR uses CG very smartly in areas you wouldn't look at. Lots and lots of background replacement, for example, that wouldn't be very noticeable.

WJD

BattleMonkey said:
Hes been very old for a long time now, but his health apparently isn't the best right now.
It doesn't look the best from his BAFTA appearence. Sad times.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think if Lee is in the films, the crew will actually have to fly to where he lives and basically shoot his scenes in a studio against green screen.

Dead

well not really...yet
http://www.freep.com/article/201102...g-prison-bilking-movie-director-s-credit-card

He said a bad economy made him do it: rack up tens of thousands of dollars in unauthorized charges on a blockbuster Hollywood director's American Express card.

His business was struggling. He thought no one would notice.

Richard Berry, a Royal Oak toy store owner who admitted to billing nearly $190,000 in bogus charges to "Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson's credit card, couldn't have been more wrong.

According to court records, Jackson used his American Express card in 2007 to buy items online from Berry's store, which specializes in historical miniature models of toy soldiers.

lol

Mr Cola said:
I am of the belief they are tieing up loose ends and trying to merge in some sense the films, given that spin it would stand to reason they would show it at some point, maybe the end of the second film.

This is exactly what I think. PJ also made the reference to scenes helping with the continuity between the films.

Dead said:
Actually, Two Towers is filled shoddy with green screen footage

ROTK and TTT dont look worse because they used more CG, they HAD to use it for what was being depicted (for the most part, dumb legolas scenes aside). They looked worse because the CG work wasn't up to par. If the movies were done by the WETA of today, the movies would all look on par with each other, regardless of which movie has more CG.

Your poor trolling aside, yes it is a given that The Hobbit will have more CG, but WETA are now a lot stronger at it than they were 10 years ago.

They really were doing the impossible with the LOTR. It was such a small team for the first movie and they constantly had to rise to the occasion though they were understaffed. One of my favorite parts on the extras section of the EE's is the story about how one of the chief animators came in over Christmas to make the destruction of Barad-dûr much more intense then it was originally. The whole scene with it falling in on itself and then blowing out before it hits the ground is one of my favorite scenes.

Now Weta is the studio that did Avatar and man what a leap between the two. Makes me ecstatic for what The Hobbit will bring.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, the Barad-dur destruction is incredible. I remember that part from the documentaries.

Im probably sounding too harsh on the CG, but the vast majority of it is incredible work. Weta have had the talent, but you can't forget that all 3 LOTR movie had the same budget as the last Pirates film did on its own. They werent working on mega budgets for each film.

The Hobbit is going to rock my world next year. It's going to be one of those rare occasions where you feel like you are walking on air the entire day before going to see it. It will take priority over everything in my life that day (and yes that includes eating, sleeping, and possibly breathing). The only thing that could prevent me from seeing this on release night would be the outbreak of World War 3.

Monocle

Dead said:
I think if Lee is in the films, the crew will actually have to fly to where he lives and basically shoot his scenes in a studio against green screen.
I really hope this happens. I want to see his Saruman on the big screen one more time.

Snaku

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
The Hobbit is going to rock my world next year. It's going to be one of those rare occasions where you feel like you are walking on air the entire day before going to see it. It will take priority over everything in my life that day (and yes that includes eating, sleeping, and possibly breathing). The only thing that could prevent me from seeing this on release night would be the outbreak of World War 3.

I don't plan on partaking any food or drink on that day. Can you imagine having to take a restroom break?

LegendofJoe said:

I know exactly what you mean. So appropriate since I haven't felt that way since the trilogy hit.

Dead said:
Yeah, the Barad-dur destruction is incredible. I remember that part from the documentaries.

Im probably sounding too harsh on the CG, but the vast majority of it is incredible work. Weta have had the talent, but you can't forget that all 3 LOTR movie had the same budget as the last Pirates film did on its own. They werent working on mega budgets for each film.

Its unbelievable what they were able to accomplish. Remember that one part of the documentary when they are doing the effects work for Fellowship and before they were done with that and before they knew for sure that New Line would commit to a larger budget for the next two films they had to do preliminary work for Gollum and the whole team was just scared out of their minds.

Scullibundo said:
Exactly. You do realize how silly you sound, don't you PD?

I should have said it was the last good movie he's made in years. But whatever, you're a Spielberg apologist so this won't go anywhere.

LegendofJoe said:
I wouldnt even mind if my cat would die that day ._.

PhoenixDark said:
I should have said it was the last good movie he's made in years. But whatever, you're a Spielberg apologist so this won't go anywhere.

But movies take years to make. So to say he's been boring for a long ass time, when the movie before his last (just over 5 years ago) is you being either extremely stupid with your words or you acting like a troll.

Spielberg apologist = not discounting an entire filmography of seminal films based on the fact that his last film was disappointing? By your logic, everything he made after 1941 should be discounted.

WJD

Is it sad that I'm looking forward to the inevitable Extended Edition Appendices almost as much as the actual film?

WJD said:
Is it sad that I'm looking forward to the inevitable Extended Edition Appendices almost as much as the actual film?
I don't think so. I enjoyed the LotR specials almost as much as the movies. :D (And I love the movies!)

Good god I can't wait for this. I still remember, 10 years ago or whenever it was, being in a theatre to watch some movie. I had no idea Lord of the Rings was being made into a series of films (I wasn't obsessively online then). Anyway, the instant that trailer started for Fellowship, Bag End... it looked exactly right. It was like they had taken the image out of my head and put it onto the screen.

I really can't wait to see what they do with these films. The casting so far looks excellent. I can't wait to see that first trailer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom