• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
On my third watch now and im even starting to rethink my stance on Mckellen, there are a few faults in delivery I can find which really irk me (When he gives sting to Bilbo in particular) but its still very good.

On my third watch now and im even starting to rethink my stance on Mckellen, there are a few faults in delivery I can find which really irk me (When he gives sting to Bilbo in particular) but its still very good.

He was not flawless in LotR either. I'm particularly annoyed by his dialogue with Saruman in the chamber, where he mutters "Yes, Sauron" as if he's talking to Sauron himself.

That doesn't stop most of his stuff from being excellent though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm more wondering how the hell they managed to place the center of that mass of that thing in such a place that it stays upright. That must be one heavy rock.

Or the Gollum figure is really light.

More like:

Fili: Why couldn't they set us down a little further along the way?

Gandalf: Did you hear that last series of "kaw" sounds as they flew away?

Fili: Yes?

Gandalf: That was Eagleish for "Y'all gonna get eaten by a dragon, fuck that shit. Eagles out, bitches."

My apologies to Christopher Tolkein for my liberties with the mannerisms of eagles.

Sounds close enough.

Loxley

At this point I'd be fine if this is how it went:

Ori: "Hey Gandalf, why couldn't those Eagles just fly us all the way to the Lonely Mountain?"

Gandalf: "It's a fantasy movie. We've got giant mutant elephants and magic horses, don't worry about it."

Ori: "Magic horses!?"

Gandalf: "Just Google it, I don't care."

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Bilbo and the party dominated the marketing for AUJ as you'd expect, with Bilbo getting the honour of the official poster. But what of The Desolation of Smaug?

Will they want to reveal Smaug in mere posters and such or will they focus on the Elves and Men this time?

Tauriel maybe or Legolas/Thranduil.

Or generic dragon fire.

Edmond Dantès;53317821 said:
Bilbo and the party dominated the marketing for AUJ as you'd expect, with Bilbo getting the honour of the official poster. But what of The Desolation of Smaug?

Will they want to reveal Smaug in mere posters and such or will they focus on the Elves and Men this time?

Tauriel maybe or Legolas/Thranduil.

Or generic dragon fire.

Oh there will be Legolas marketing. Lots of it.

While we are at it they should do shirtless Legolas+Fili+Kili ads.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Stephen Fry should also feature in the marketing campaign

Stephen-Fry-Mast-of-Lake-Town.jpg

Yeah, my female friends refer to fili, kili, and thorin as "the hot ones," and feel very similarly about Thranduil and Legolas. They're crazy if they don't market the hell out of those guys.

They should also focus heavily on teasing darker, dangerous things and completely hide radagast to win back people who thought Radagast was awful and the Goblin king was too "dreamworksy."

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah, my female friends refer to fili, kili, and thorin as "the hot ones," and feel very similarly about Thranduil and Legolas. They're crazy if they don't market the hell out of those guys.

They should also focus heavily on teasing darker, dangerous things and completely hide radagast to win back people who thought Radagast was awful and the Goblin king was too "dreamworksy."
Something like this would work. Especially if The Necromancer takes part at the end.

iAFzcGww0Ghgr.jpg

Love the There and Back Again art !

Makes it hard to wait for these extended edition blurays. Of course they would have to be in 48fps/3D to be a complete set.

Watevaman

(no Hobbit reader here) Is the Necromancer/Big S gonna play a big role in the last film? I don't really know the main conflicts in The Hobbit minus the dwarves vs Smaug.

In the book itself, Necromancer was just a plot device, so that Gandalf would have an excuse to leave the group, as well as for them not to travel around the forest. He's barely mentioned other than Gandalf saying "oh yeah, I defeated the Necromancer".

When LotR was being written, Necromancer was retroactively re-written to be Sauron. Gandalf gives more backstory there, which has been integrated into the Hobbit movies.

Edmond Dantès;53166327 said:
I think it's safe to say that the Misty Mountains theme is now Howard Shore's most memorable Middle-earth theme, surpassing even the Fellowship theme.

The full rendition of it in Over Hill is wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD8269JEdPA#t=2m45s

Look forward to hearing more variations of it in the next two films.

Oh gods yes, it's definitely my favorite of his Middle Earth music. It does seem like the consensus is that the rendition in Over Hill is the best. I totally agree. Personally, though, it's not too far ahead of the hobbit theme... hobbits theme. Theme for hobbits, lol, crap. At least the Misty Mountains music doesn't make me tear up every time I hear it, I just get shivers down my back <3 Neil Finn's rendition is fucking fantastic as well; the extended version with the extra instrumental bit at the end just makes me melt. Love!

YAY! I'm glad you finally got your copy, Edmond! Did you watch it right away after buying it, or did you wait a whole hour?! I'm totally jealous of the steelbook editions. I've never seen them over here before!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Oh gods yes, it's definitely my favorite of his Middle Earth music. It does seem like the consensus is that the rendition in Over Hill is the best. I totally agree. Personally, though, it's not too far ahead of the hobbit theme... hobbits theme. Theme for hobbits, lol, crap. At least the Misty Mountains music doesn't make me tear up every time I hear it, I just get shivers down my back <3 Neil Finn's rendition is fucking fantastic as well; the extended version with the extra instrumental bit at the end just makes me melt. Love!

YAY! I'm glad you finally got your copy, Edmond! Did you watch it right away after buying it, or did you wait a whole hour?! I'm totally jealous of the steelbook editions. I've never seen them over here before!
I did watch in the evening. It was actually only my third time watching it. The previous times were the initial viewing in 24fps 3D and the the second time in HFR 3D. I wasn't able to make the London premiere in the end unfortunately, but there's always the next two red carpet premieres.

In the book itself, Necromancer was just a plot device, so that Gandalf would have an excuse to leave the group, as well as for them not to travel around the forest. He's barely mentioned other than Gandalf saying "oh yeah, I defeated the Necromancer".

When LotR was being written, Necromancer was retroactively re-written to be Sauron. Gandalf gives more backstory there, which has been integrated into the Hobbit movies.
Slight correction; the professor always had it in his mind that The Necromancer was Sauron.

The development goes as follows; Tu the Fay => Tevildo => Thu the Necromancer => The Necromancer => Sauron/Mairon.

Thu was mentioned in The Lay of Leithian long before Tolkien wrote The Hobbit and Beren and Luthien were also incorporated into The Hobbit in earlier drafts before finally been omitted from the story due to timeline issues. Thu too, before his name was streamlined.

eLGee

He was not flawless in LotR either. I'm particularly annoyed by his dialogue with Saruman in the chamber, where he mutters "Yes, Sauron" as if he's talking to Sauron himself.

That doesn't stop most of his stuff from being excellent though.

He doesn't say "Yes, Sauron", he says "The eye of Sauron".

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Edmond Dantès;53373807 said:
The exact dialogue is as follows:

Saruman: Concealed within his fortress, the Lord of Mordor sees all — his gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth and flesh. You know of what I speak, Gandalf — a great Eye… lidless… wreathed in flame.

Gandalf: The Eye of Sauron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Vyhve9gtg#t=0m20s

Here's a handy guide detailing all the film's dialogue and the corresponding scene.

http://www.tk421.net/lotr/film/fotr/09.html
No way man. No way.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hobbit stars on ‘dark’ sequel Desolation Of Smaug
“It was so peppered with humour and lightness,” says Thorin Oakenshield actor Richard Armitage, “because in movies two and three... it gets very, very dark.”
“It starts off quite light and I think progressively it will get more dangerous and dark as Bilbo gets further from home and in more jeopardy,” Gollum star Andy Serkis told us. “We’ll be able to sense that and feel that.

“As the quest for the dwarves becomes more complicated and threatening. It’ll carry more weight.”
Bofur actor James Nesbitt called that same tonal difference in the upcoming sequel a natural part of the journey. “It starts off with innocence and hope,” said the 48 year-old actor, “and I think we’ve already seen some bits in ‘An Unexpected Journey’ where there is fear and Bilbo represents a lot of that. But I think in ‘The Desolation of Smaug’ will get darker as they go into that world.”
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/exclusiv...rk’-sequel-desolation-of-smaug-135608803.html

Exactly what many people have wanted.

The directorial/script decision for characters to speak over more interesting characters is quite irritating, on a rewatch last night. If Christopher Lee is doing what is likely to be his last role, I want to hear what he has to say. Not have Cate Blanchett mind-speaking over the top of him. If Elrond is describing why Glamdring is named for what it is, I want to hear that, and not a letter-opener joke about Sting. Just seems like bookmarking for the Extended Edition in so many ways.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The directorial/script decision for characters to speak over more interesting characters is quite irritating, on a rewatch last night. If Christopher Lee is doing what is likely to be his last role, I want to hear what he has to say. Not have Cate Blanchett mind-speaking over the top of him. If Elrond is describing why Glamdring is named for what it is, I want to hear that, and not a letter-opener joke about Sting. Just seems like bookmarking for the Extended Edition in so many ways.
In terms of the Elrond conversation, it was an effective way to deal with one of the copyright issues; not been able to mention the name of Turgon the King of Gondolin, the original owner of Glamdring.

strafer

Edmond Dantès;53374626 said:
In terms of the Elrond conversation, it was an effective way to deal with one of the copyright issues; not been able to mention the name of Turgon the King of Gondolin, the original owner of Glamdring.

Wow, they are very protective of their stuff. Not being able to mention a name.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Wow, they are very protective of their stuff. Not being able to mention a name.
Indeed. It's also the reason why Gandalf doesn't remember the names of the two Blue wizards. Having Gandalf mention Alatar and Pallando by name would have invoked the wroth of the Tolkien Estate. That's why having a Tolkien scholar aiding them was so important.

strafer

Edmond Dantès;53374866 said:
Indeed. It's also the reason why Gandalf doesn't remember the names of the two Blue wizards. Having Gandalf mention Alatar and Pallando by name would have invoked the wroth of the Tolkien Estate. That's why having a Tolkien scholar aiding them was so important.

So how long after The Hobbit trilogy is done will we see another piece of Tolkien on the big screen?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So how long after The Hobbit trilogy is done will we see another piece of Tolkien on the big screen?
Could be a decade from now if WB want to keep hold of the licence.

If not, Middle-earth enterprises will negotiate a deal with another film studio.

The least likely realistic scenario is another film series dealing with stuff from the appendices and Aragorn's life pre-LOTR.

Dream scenarios... HBO's The Lord of the Rings.

As for The Silmarillion, we all know by now how impossible that would be.

Ixion

Edmond Dantès;53376036 said:
Dream scenarios... HBO's The Lord of the Rings.

HBO will just make it trendy and sexualized. They'll turn Gollum into a hot female sex slave or something.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
HBO will just make it trendy and sexualized. They'll turn Gollum into a hot female sex slave or something.

You know, for all the outcries about the sex in GoT, which btw, are in the books, lots of it, I don't understand why that show gets all the stick and not Spartacus. Spartacus is insane with its sex.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Why are fantasy world accents British?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17554816

Interesting discussion, although to be a touch pedantic (even though it is addressed in the article), there isn't one unified 'British accent', but many, many regional accents (as is the case in all countries) with Received Pronunciation and Cockney being the most well known around the world.

Ixion

You know, for all the outcries about the sex in GoT, which btw, are in the books, lots of it, I don't understand why that show gets all the stick and not Spartacus. Spartacus is insane with its sex.

I just prefer writing like Tolkien that focuses more on the unique aspects of the genre, which is the fantasy, the worldbuilding, and the epic drama. As opposed to just taking sex, violence, and politics and putting it in a fantasy or historical setting, which a lot of shows seem to do these days.

I just prefer writing like Tolkien that focuses more on the unique aspects of the genre, which is the fantasy, the worldbuilding, and the epic drama. As opposed to just taking sex, violence, and politics and putting it in a fantasy or historical setting, which a lot of shows seem to do these days.
ASOIAF has all three of those.

Not that I'm gonna argue which is better. I love em both!
They're both different enough to enjoy.

Edmond Dantès;53388273 said:
Why are fantasy world accents British?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17554816

Interesting discussion, although to be a touch pedantic (even though it is addressed in the article), there isn't one unified 'British accent', but many, many regional accents (as is the case in all countries) with Received Pronunciation and Cockney being the most well known around the world.

Personally, if fantasy stories had American accents (any American accent) it would take me right out of the world and remind me I'm watching actors in a show. British accents just kind of... blend in. They're part of it. You're right, though. It's terribly hard for me to tell the difference between a lot of subtle, regional dialects. I mean, I might notice they sound different, but I definitely don't know what they're called or where that specific accent is from. But, then again, I'm especially bad with accents unless they're comically thick :(

Also, I like accents because there isn't much of one around here. So much so that I've heard news anchors and actors study the NW dialect to... not necessarily get rid of their own accent, but soften them? Or something. Boringest accent ever :(

That Atlantis show sounds super cool, by the way :)

DodgerSan

Ha! I love Bilbo and Gandals first conversation, especially this bit

Gandalf: Im looking for someone to share in an Adventure!
Bilbo: An Adventure... No i dont imagine anyone west of Brie would have much interest in adventures! Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things..make you late for dinner!

So well delivered by Martin

That's a cheesy line ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom