• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenist

The headline of the second article seems misleading to me he didn't really say that he just said it's a simpler story with less consequences. Great articles though thanks for posting!

The headline is right though. The Lord Of The Rings is quite a bit better than the Hobbit.

Platy

There isn't much female dwarf fanart, and even less with a ton of facial hair; I think Dis is the only one she's drawn so far, and she's not entirely lacking: I see some sideburns goin' on! Gosh I love her :)

"For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike; nor indeed can their womenkind be discerned by those of other race, be it in feature or in gait or in voice, nor in any wise save this: that they go not to war, and seldom save at direst need issue from their deep bowers and halls. It is said, also, that their womenkind are few, and that save their kings and chieftains few Dwarves ever wed; wherefore their race multiplied slowly and now is dwindling."

It is time for FEMALE DWARF FANART TIME !
(aka : good Dis fanart)

__the_hobbit___fanart__dis_by_kotorigaro-d5ptsxy.jpg
http://kotorigaro.deviantart.com/art/The-Hobbit-fanart-Dis-345711814

http://ancalinar.deviantart.com/art/Dis-again-352805274

http://ancalinar.deviantart.com/art/Dis-351206973

And my favorite, but not a Dis fanart :

http://ancalinar.deviantart.com/art/Dwarf-World-Problems-357886901

It is time for FEMALE DWARF FANART TIME !
(aka : good Dis fanart)

Etc etc.

Well. Those are very good. I have seen them before. I'm sorry that I offended you with my choice... I didn't realize there was a wrong one.

Edmond Dantès;52654008 said:

Breathtaking art, holy moly. I wish I could see more of Dale; the glimpse we get is so fleeting!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Well. Those are very good. I have seen them before. I'm sorry that I offended you with my choice... I didn't realize there was a wrong one.

Breathtaking art, holy moly. I wish I could see more of Dale; the glimpse we get is so fleeting!
Yes, it really is a beautiful depiction of a once mighty city.

Edmond Dantès;52694475 said:
Yes, it really is a beautiful depiction of a once mighty city.

I really like how there are craggy, undeveloped walls in conjunction with the built stone walls. It does a good job mingling erm, dwarfiness (?) with humanity. There's a lack of greenery I would long for if I were there, though :p And I can't believe how tiny the gates to Erabor are in the back! What a grand city!

That art is so huge I can't view the whole thing at once on my monitor, kind of a pity :\

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I really like how there are craggy, undeveloped walls in conjunction with the built stone walls. It does a good job mingling erm, dwarfiness (?) with humanity. There's a lack of greenery I would long for if I were there, though :p And I can't believe how tiny the gates to Erabor are in the back! What a grand city!

That art is so huge I can't view the whole thing at once on my monitor, kind of a pity :
Many of us long for the greenery of the Shire. I know I do.

d-A1149866-1A4B-7C6E-9A4564ACFBEAC81E-3747524.jpg

Gosh yes, the Shire is perfection, since it's so earthy and green. Also awesome beer & hobbits & cozy armchairs & music and maaan, I do not blame Gandalf for swinging by so often! I would post that gif of him dancing at Bilbo's party, but it is soooo tacky, lol

Ehh, whatevah!

tumblr_mdtxe4JxAN1qh0vhjo1_500.gif

The only issue I think I'd have with an underground house is the lack of windows, I'm a sucker for natural lighting.

Yeah, agreed, though there seem to be a fair amount in Bag End... but it's probably because it's the nicest Hole on the Hill (right?) Also, skylights! Aww yeah.

Edmond Dantès;52654008 said:
That looks cool but has way too much of a minas tirith vibe for me, i hope when we see more it actually looks unique. I feel the same about dol guldur, the brief glimpse we had just looked like the standard mordor backdrop.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Snippets from the WETA character book.

Joe Letteri says that Gwaihir's "role in the film demands that he carry more of a performance so we had to give him more anthropomorphic dimensions than the other Eagles. It was important that we make him, and all of our creatures, much more 'alive' and capable of performance - not just action". This does mean he'll talk after all?

Some interesting ideas about Dwarven character arcs, possibly indicating cut footage which may feature in the EE. For example, interaction between Dwalin and Nori at Bag End. Jed Brophy says: "Nori and Dwalin have an interesting relationship. When they first meet in Bag End, Dwalin thinks he can bully him, but it doesn't work that way with Nori. They have a disagreement over a chicken that Nori tries to steal off him and from there on if Dwalin catches Nori's eye, he glares at him".

Seeming confirmation, if it were needed, that Azog's reappearance is linked to the rise of the Necromancer. "The thought of revenge upon Thorin and the final destruction of the line of the Longbeads gnawed at Azog, but he bided his time until late in the Third Age, when the emergence of the Necromancer and the commencement of Thorin's Quest to retake Erebor saw him lead a troop of hunters in a chase across Middle-earth in pursuit of the Dwarven Company".

It appears that Grinnah, the Goblin interrogator, was intended to have a bigger role. Its mentions that "he's nasty and takes great enjoyment in whipping Thorin, which is all build-up because in the end Kili stabs him in his guts, and that had to be earned. It had to be a 'Yeah!' moment." I wouldn't say this is the case in the current version of the film. Given that Grinnah got a figure, it seems his original role was bigger. Given that we know there will be more Goblintown in the EE, it makes sense for his role to be expanded.

When Bombur does speak, he will do so with a Northern Irish accent.

Edmond Dantès;52753491 said:
Old unused helm from The Lord of the Rings:

[helm]

Mirkwood helms:

http://screencapped.net/movie/lotr/displayimage.php?album=154&pid=490549#top_display_media

They have very bulky armour, certainly not as refined as the armour of the Noldoli.

Hmm, I would expect elves from a forest to have more leafy things on their armor... but I must be patient, I know :( We just haven't seen much of them yet! I do like the helmets, though; they almost have a squid-shape to them. And the autumnal colors are lovely.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hmm, I would expect elves from a forest to have more leafy things on their armor... but I must be patient, I know :( We just haven't seen much of them yet! I do like the helmets, though; they almost have a squid-shape to them. And the autumnal colors are lovely.
I expect the Mirkwood scouts to be less heavily armoured. Their clothes should have that Wood Elf feel to them.

So I decided to join this century and got a Blu-Ray drive for my computer.

I'm never going to buy another DVD again.

I got the special Wal-Mart Blu-Ray edtion of The Hobbit, will get the EE when it comes out too.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;52753491 said:
Old unused helm from The Lord of the Rings:

coolhelm.jpg

If I had to guess, I would say this would be for either the King of the Dead or (more likely) a crown that one of the Nazgûl (likely the Witch-King) would be seen wearing when Frodo puts the on the ring at Weathertop. It matches the design in a few aspects.

weathertopnazgc3bbl.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
If I had to guess, I would say this would be for either the King of the Dead or (more likely) a crown that one of the Nazgûl (likely the Witch-King) would be seen wearing when Frodo puts the on the ring at Weathertop. It matches the design in a few aspects.

weathertopnazgc3bbl.jpg

Speaking of the Witch-king, I wonder what kind of reaction this more faithful depiction would have garnered.

nazgul.jpg

Watevaman

Edmond Dantès;52808805 said:
Speaking of the Witch-king, I wonder what kind of reaction this more faithful depiction would have garnered.

nazgul.jpg

While faithful, it comes off more comedic to me than menacing. I know I would've chuckled at a floating crown, whereas the main reason I wanted to see FotR was the Nazgul I saw in the trailer. I represented your average moviegoer as a child and that was just awesome to me.

i love manu bennett (obviously), but was a bit iffy on azog in hobbit. would have preferred practical since i found lurtz from fellowship to be much more menacing because of it.

oh well, still looks pretty cool.

agrajag

Banned
While faithful, it comes off more comedic to me than menacing. I know I would've chuckled at a floating crown, whereas the main reason I wanted to see FotR was the Nazgul I saw in the trailer. I represented your average moviegoer as a child and that was just awesome to me.

What's there to chuckle about?

IMAG0165_BURST001_zps6b79b214.jpg

Just watched the Rankin/Bass version this afternoon with the friend's kiddo. He'd never been able to finish it before; the goblins had always been too scary to get past, but he made it this time. He thought that Bilbo looked weird, and we all agreed, haha :) I forget how many silly lines Bilbo has, too: the one that stuck out was that he calls the One Ring "convenient" for following Gollum out of the cave. LOL! Not the most powerful adjective that comes to mind... It also did a good job of hyping me up for the conversation between Bilbo and Smaug, oh MAN. How're they gonna do a dragon talking?? Is Smaug gonna do his big puffy posturing show-off? What's it gonna look like?! These next 8 months are gonna be the slowest months ever.

And of course, we couldn't not show him the first bit of my (our) Hobbit, up until Bilbo gets his pony. He's heard the soundtrack as much as we have, so he really wanted to see the dwarves singing (he knows the words by heart) and the running, since it comes right after their song. He loved it. It was hard to stop the movie after getting it going, buuuuut he's probably a bit young to see the actual scary parts yet. That, and yeah. It's long.

But yes. A lovely evening full of Hobbit-y goodness, and I thought I would share about a young'un and his excitement :) He'll have to wait for Lord of the Rings... I know he's heard us mention it, but I'm not sure if he even realizes it's just the second part of the story!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Just watched the Rankin/Bass version this afternoon with the friend's kiddo. He'd never been able to finish it before; the goblins had always been too scary to get past, but he made it this time. He thought that Bilbo looked weird, and we all agreed, haha :) I forget how many silly lines Bilbo has, too: the one that stuck out was that he calls the One Ring "convenient" for following Gollum out of the cave. LOL! Not the most powerful adjective that comes to mind... It also did a good job of hyping me up for the conversation between Bilbo and Smaug, oh MAN. How're they gonna do a dragon talking?? Is Smaug gonna do his big puffy posturing show-off? What's it gonna look like?! These next 8 months are gonna be the slowest months ever.

And of course, we couldn't not show him the first bit of my (our) Hobbit, up until Bilbo gets his pony. He's heard the soundtrack as much as we have, so he really wanted to see the dwarves singing (he knows the words by heart) and the running, since it comes right after their song. He loved it. It was hard to stop the movie after getting it going, buuuuut he's probably a bit young to see the actual scary parts yet. That, and yeah. It's long.

But yes. A lovely evening full of Hobbit-y goodness, and I thought I would share about a young'un and his excitement :) He'll have to wait for Lord of the Rings... I know he's heard us mention it, but I'm not sure if he even realizes it's just the second part of the story!
The fire of Tolkien love ignited in another person.

Vega

So when is the Extended Edition getting announced? IIRC there were EE trailers included on each of the Lord of the Rings theatrical dvds.

Edmond Dantès;52984395 said:
Why Are There Lord Of The Rings-Themed Mock MTA Posters Around The Subways?

http://gothamist.com/2013/04/05/why_are_there_lord_of_the_rings-the.php

Missed Gandalf's fireworks. :(

OMG!! These are so COOL! You picked out the coolest one, I think; the elvish version made me smile because there are probably at least a few people who came across it who can read it <3 I also like the spider warnings and the Doors of Durin being closed... for the weekend. Aaand I keep laughing at the transportation alternatives to the train of taking eagles and ents, mostly because I would be terribly embarrassed to use a sentient being as such.

BUT WOW. SO NEAT. I'm not sure if I could not... not take one of these if I saw them :( I wonder how long they stay up before they get nicked?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
OMG!! These are so COOL! You picked out the coolest one, I think; the elvish version made me smile because there are probably at least a few people who came across it who can read it <3 I also like the spider warnings and the Doors of Durin being closed... for the weekend. Aaand I keep laughing at the transportation alternatives to the train of taking eagles and ents, mostly because I would be terribly embarrassed to use a sentient being as such.

BUT WOW. SO NEAT. I'm not sure if I could not... not take one of these if I saw them :( I wonder how long they stay up before they get nicked?
They'd be good company though.

fallout

Me too. Why would anyone complain about having TOO MUCH entertainment?
Pacing is a common problem in a lot of longer movies. In the case of the LOTR EEs and The Hobbit, I don't mind because I love seeing Middle-earth realized, but I can fully understand why people find them too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom