• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 15 Pro Version of Resident Evil Village Runs at 30FPS

Gojiira

Did anyone expect otherwise? That it’s running it natively at all is a big ass deal
Mhmm this, I dont care what anyone says apple Apple/Android, the tech is really impressive, same goes for that headset of theirs, extremely impressive for media.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the next iteration of these chips end up in the Apple TV Boxes giving Apple a de facto console.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
30 fps??
IMG.gif
Creative decision

Mean Girls Halloween GIF

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendo get a deal to use the Apple silicon then the switch 2 will be awesome or not I don’t own Nintendo so what ever.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Mhmm this, I dont care what anyone says apple Apple/Android, the tech is really impressive, same goes for that headset of theirs, extremely impressive for media.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the next iteration of these chips end up in the Apple TV Boxes giving Apple a de facto console.
They have that already with M1, M2 and soon to be M3. New A17 chipset I think is roughly M1 equivalent.

LordOfChaos

The IGN interview also mentions the output capability to a screen and MetalFX upscaling taking care of it, it would probably suck but I'd be curious for someone to take a look at that with a controller lol. I'd like to see Apple funding more AAA scale bespoke games that really take advantage of it, but it's interesting that big games like Death Stranding are on iPhone now.

I wouldn't have expected 60, hell Starfield just launched at 30 on Xbox

Runs 60fps on steam deck.
Runs 60fps on a device multiple times bigger then the 15 Pro, with active cooling, much louder, and being a mostly gaming dedicated device.
Yes it does. Does a 7" iphone with a backbone attached to it fit in your hand? Can't imagine you'll be doing too well in a resident evil game with touch controls.
You know damn well what he said is true. The iPhone 15 Pro is MUCH smaller than a Steam deck. You can love the steam deck but it's huge for being a "handheld". The fact that something as small and thin as the 15 Pro can run RE8, RE4, DS, and AC is amazing and a big leap forward.

Even if we go by your statement it's still MUCH smaller than the steam deck. Yes, the Steam deck is a great machine but it's way less impressive to see the Deck run these games than a phone.

It's not a gaming dedicated device so they aren't an even comparison anyway.
The IGN interview also mentions the output capability to a screen and MetalFX upscaling taking care of it, it would probably suck but I'd be curious for someone to take a look at that with a controller lol. I'd like to see Apple funding more AAA scale bespoke games that really take advantage of it, but it's interesting that big games like Death Stranding are on iPhone now.

I bet somebody like ETA Prime will have videos out shortly after it launches.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Plus it doesn't have active cooling, if the newest apple or Qualcomm chips were cooled they'd have no problems doing even more

Yea but it would also be at almost 2k for device. You get gaming notes books for that price with really great performance.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Won't fit with the case? Not even a slim one? That's a non starter then.
Umm why would you have to remove your case? You know they adjust right?
Yes the adjust however I use wallet cases and they tend to be a bit thicker and the dongle that plugs into the phone are not long enough to make contact on the backbone.

Not sure if the others allow this?

mrMUR_96

Apparently metalfx is quite impressive and holds up decently against dlss/fsr/xess, but yeah the actual native res is probably quite low and would need a lot of work to look ok at 4k on a big screen.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yes the adjust however I use wallet cases and they tend to be a bit thicker and the dongle that plugs into the phone are not long enough to make contact on the backbone.

It depends… there are Bluetooth controllers as well that adjust the same way. Those would work.

For me I don’t even care about playing on the go but since I’m getting a 15 pro anyway and got a usb-c to hdmi cable already I might as well try a game .. I’m going to use a Xbox controller and play on a tv.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
doesn’t fit in your hand.

The Ally is faster than the Steam Deck and significantly smaller, and the new GPD Mini 2 or whatever is the same, but is 3DS sized.

Both are also cheaper than the iPhone spec'd to 512GB which would be the bare minimum on a multipurpose device with no ability to run games on external storage IMO (256GB model would be ~200GB easily after apps/photos/videos, and many of these games are going to be hitting ~100GB). Most handhelds get around their lower storage capacities by allowing you to use games on memory cards or add additional storage.

StereoVsn

Ahh, NVM then, no stretch controller will allow for this sort of the case.

Going to get it Backbone and try with 15 Pro Max once that comes in with couple of cases. Can always return to Amazon.

With iOhone, can't you use magnetic wallet now or does it not attach too well?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Apple is really coming to finally take over this space. This seems to have been their plan all along. Will be interested to see if the Apple TV follows next year…

LordOfChaos

Apparently metalfx is quite impressive and holds up decently against dlss/fsr/xess, but yeah the actual native res is probably quite low and would need a lot of work to look ok at 4k on a big screen.
Put A17 in an actively cooled Apple TV and it would actually hold up pretty well, GPU only a bit short of the Series S. If the consoles cut down CPU cores perform like Zen 1 according to DF, the CPU could be even better.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It depends… there are Bluetooth controllers as well that adjust the same way. Those would work.

For me I don’t even care about playing on the go but since I’m getting a 15 pro anyway and got a usb-c to hdmi cable already I might as well try a game .. I’m going to use a Xbox controller and play on a tv.
Will the usb c port even push out video? It might require a special dongle knowing Apple

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

Dorfdad

Gold Member

All iPhone 15 Models Support DisplayPort for Up to 4K HDR Video Output to External Display​

Nice but sucks since they can’t do 4k/120 which is what modern gaming does now but it’s a start I guess

This is extremely impressive, especially for something passively cooled and running on a tight power envelope.

It just seems like yesterday that I downloaded Epic Citadel on my 3GS to get a glimpse of Unreal Engine 3 running on a smartphone before Infinity Blade dropped and now we’re getting mainline AAA titles. Can’t wait to see how far they take this.

This is extremely impressive, especially for something passively cooled and running on a tight power envelope.

It just seems like yesterday that I downloaded Epic Citadel on my 3GS to get a glimpse of Unreal Engine 3 running on a smartphone before Infinity Blade dropped and now we’re getting mainline AAA titles. Can’t wait to see how far they take this.
Dude, That was in 2010, 13 years ago.

Kind of amazing how far we’ve come in a comparatively short period of time regardless. Will definitely consider a Pro whenever I decide to upgrade my 12 in the next few years.
I've ordered the 15 pro. My 13 Pro max has a crack on the screen and I convinced the wife that I HAVE to upgrade. At&t is giving me 550 for trade in.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I've ordered the 15 pro. My 13 Pro max has a crack on the screen and I convinced the wife that I HAVE to upgrade. At&t is giving me 550 for trade in.
Careful on that trade in they prorate it over 3 years and if you upgrade before that they stop the credits.

I found it easier to trade in with Apple or third party to get my money upfront or quickly

Careful on that trade in they prorate it over 3 years and if you upgrade before that they stop the credits.

I found it easier to trade in with Apple or third party to get my money upfront or quickly
Yea it was disheartening to see all the fees, taxes, prorating, and monthly change the final price with every step.

sendit

Got to find an AT&T Store.
Even trading in my old iphone 13 pro max I still have to pay 100 bucks plus 100 bucks in tax PLUS 5 bucks a month more to trade up to this new iphone 15 Pro.
Leaving out the important financial details such as your remaining balance on the iPhone 13 Pro. Then complaining about it like it’s a surprise.

sendit

From googling, looks like that 60fps comes at a cost. 720p with FSR2 and most settings on low.
Not only this, but also looking like a total tool playing a massive gaming device in public like the Steam Deck.

Last edited:
Leaving out the important financial details such as your remaining balance on the iPhone 13 Pro. Then complaining about it like it’s a surprise.
Damage is done to the ole wallet. I got Me a new phone. 📱
Well hopefully I'll have it this Friday or Saturday.
I have to use an old candybar burner phone till then.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Actually you can see it run at 45-59 fps at first, the heaviest areas with throttling are ~37, but it's not locked to 30

Runs great on my 15 pro max. They're being smart about it too, it's a free download to start the game then just $16 for the base game.
I thought for sure they were going to majorly misjudge the pricing like Stadia did and expect full price.

You can snag Resident Evil 8 on iOS now for $15 (in-app purchase). Pretty crazy how good this game looks on a 15 Pro Max with settings cranked up. Worth the money if you already invested in the phone just to see a glimpse of things to come.

rKKnqvW.jpg
Wanna share your recommended settings for the 15 pro max? I went to see what settings there are and my head was spinning. Looks like you even have RAM to allocate?

Top Bottom