• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 15 Pro version of the Resident Evil 4 remake will cost $60

Draugoth

Gold Member
The game is now available for pre-order on the iOS Store, though only those with devices capable of playing it – iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max and some iPad Pro and iPad Air models.

VGC can confirm that in the UK, the base game is free, but it includes a number of in-app purchases, one of which is £57.99 for ‘Resident Evil 4’. The US App Store, according to TouchArcade, is charging $59.99.

The addition of a $60 / £58 in-app purchase implies that the initial ‘free’ 700MB version will be some sort of demo to show the game running on the device, at which point players will have to pay for the full game.

resi-4-ios-1.jpg

Misterhbk

And just like that this dream has died.

Console players who want to try this will pay for this version but folks who use iOS as their main gaming platform are not dropping g 60-70 bucks on games.

Should create a decent additional revenue stream for devs though.

Fools idol

Banned
since when was this a thing ???

Who would want to play a game like that on their phone lmao... the controls would be atrocious, and screen size too small to see / read anything properly or have any form of accuracy

Last edited:

Kuranghi

since when was this a thing ???

Who would want to play a game like that on their phone lmao... the controls would be atrocious, and screen size too small to see / read anything properly or have any form of accuracy

Exactly, I feel like modern games even on a 40" TV are difficult to fully parse unless you're 2' away 😆

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You can plug your phone into a screen and play it using a bluetooth controller, for people without a console, this may be an appealing option.
Considering the limited HW this is available for it is an elusive very very very very small audience that spends thousands on phones and a TV but would not fork out $299-399 for a console…

Davevil

You can plug your phone into a screen and play it using a bluetooth controller, for people without a console, this may be an appealing option.
a person who buys an overpriced iPhone will have at least 2-3 home consoles in the living room at home

I agree with most people here that the price feels way too high, but here’s why you can’t have nice things on the phone. People are conditioned into thinking everything must be free to download and then spend 100’s of bucks on MTX instead of paying for a quality game upfront.

Lets be honest, this is the complete game, same quality at least as the original with great graphics for a phone game, it is worth something.

Maybe it shouldn’t be full console price because the game itself isn’t exactly new anymore but I understand why they do it. And yes it will probably fail miserably because of sheep people who instead just download a crappy free MTX app.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
a person who buys an overpriced iPhone will have at least 2-3 home consoles in the living room at home
I know loads of people with iPhones (yes they overpay) but wouldn't think of buying a console. That said, they would maybe not wish to play this kind of game, but that is another argument.

This is the test mobiles have to pass to be a legit console replacement.

Same was with Stadia.

Unless you have audiance that is ready to do this, you really cannot make games like these for the system. Even if hardware allows it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Considering the limited HW this is available for it is an elusive very very very very small audience that spends thousands on phones and a TV but would not fork out $299-399 for a console…
Yes agreed, it is a small audiance now (probably very, very, very small). But eventually as the tech propagates, it may attract more people that for whatever reason (space, shame, time) don't want to buy a console but might fancy the odd game. Similar target audience as cloud only gaming.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is the test mobiles have to pass to be a legit console replacement.

Same was with Stadia.

Unless you have audiance that is ready to do this, you really cannot make games like these for the system. Even if hardware allows it.
I guess if you are making games anyway, and it is easy to port to an ecosystem with millions of users, the risk is very little to Capcom. Apple are probably laying the foundations that eventually all their devices will be target platforms for AAA games.

Virex

Banned
The game is now available for pre-order on the iOS Store, though only those with devices capable of playing it – iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max and some iPad Pro and iPad Air models.

VGC can confirm that in the UK, the base game is free, but it includes a number of in-app purchases, one of which is £57.99 for ‘Resident Evil 4’. The US App Store, according to TouchArcade, is charging $59.99.

The addition of a $60 / £58 in-app purchase implies that the initial ‘free’ 700MB version will be some sort of demo to show the game running on the device, at which point players will have to pay for the full game.

resi-4-ios-1.jpg
fESZHch.jpg

I guess if you are making games anyway, and it is easy to port to an ecosystem with millions of users, the risk is very little to Capcom. Apple are probably laying the foundations that eventually all their devices will be target platforms for AAA games.

Ports will still cost 3-4 million am assuming. It will have to sell 100k at least to just break even.

I think it will have to sell a lot (probably 1 million or so) for other publishers to take it seriously.

Kabelly

Exact game that is fully featured, of course it was going to launch at the standard price and anyone was fooling themselves thinking it would be cheaper just because the mobile gaming market has bad monetization practices. The barrier has been broken between what we can do on such small devices and it's amazing to me that on a gaming enthusiast forum that people are so against this. Having these games is nothing short of amazing. People are not buying an iPhone just so they can play RE4. They were going to buy an iPhone anyways but now you can also play full console releases on your device. The future is now old men.

This game will go on sale in a month or so like RE4 already has. People saying who could play this on such a "small" screen really over estimate the need for a standard screen to play modern games. People play Fortnite, PUBG and COD no problem. OG Switch with it's huge ass bezels has a comparabe screen size to an iPhone and people play games on Switch no problem. You probably have vision issues if you think you can't see on these screens.

sZ8H2Mh.jpg

Last edited:

nkarafo

It's the only option to play such game properly. So why not just play it on a much cheaper console? You will have a better experience with better graphics and controls at less than half the price.

Although i get this is for those who already have an iPhone and no consoles. For them it might be a good option, provided Apple lets you use any controller you like and any cable for using a TV and not some overpriced "approved" crap.

draliko

Did you expect something less from apple? And you still rooting for them to enter the consolenmarket... good lord if you support apple it's only right they milk you

HTK

Banned
All this talk about mobile this mobile that, now iPhone can play console type games. Well the mobile gaming is huge and the audience is huge, however. They've also been trained to play for free with microtransactions or pay up to $4.99 or $9.99 for more premium titles.

I don't see this price of $59.99 being something a mobile gamer is willing to entertain. Time will tell but I think this might not go well because the consumer on that platform has been trained for the last 15+ years with a particular price expectation in mind.

Last edited:

KellyNole

Did you expect something less from apple? And you still rooting for them to enter the consolenmarket... good lord if you support apple it's only right they milk you

How is this Apple? Capcom sets the price. Also, why would it cost less? When released on consoles it was $60. This is a full featured game. Yes the mobile market may not like the price, but if the market wants some big time games to come to phones, these are the prices that will need to be paid.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's the only option to play such game properly. So why not just play it on a much cheaper console? You will have a better experience with better graphics and controls at less than half the price.

Although i get this is for those who already have an iPhone and no consoles. For them it might be a good option, provided Apple lets you use any controller you like and any cable for using a TV and not some overpriced "approved" crap.
From what I've seen (I don't use an iPhone as my daily) the 15 Pro will allow any 20Gbps USB-C to HDMI cable or adapter to be used and I think iOS already supports Dualsense via bluetooth (not sure what others).

Once they allow side-loading the phone will actually be useful :messenger_beaming:

Top Bottom