• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 15 Pro version of the Resident Evil 4 remake will cost $60

theHFIC

The game is now available for pre-order on the iOS Store, though only those with devices capable of playing it – iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max and some iPad Pro and iPad Air models.
The purchase is Apple's version of "play anywhere" for iOS and macOS it isn't just the iOS / iPad OS version.

2knH8f8.png

Resident Evil Village is going to be sold as iOS only though at I believe 30-40 bucks.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't know what people was expecting with a AAA game that's only 6 months old.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lots of old men yelling at clouds in this thread.. lol

What you really should be yelling about is IF WE ARE MOVING TO ONLY DIGITAL LICENSE PURCHASES WHY DOES'NT IT TRANSFER ACROSS PLATFORMS?

Like sure I'll pay $70 for a digital license of RE4 but I should be able to play that across any platform it is available for digitally. And do not tell you cannot do it capcom because you are keeping SF6 accounts across platforms.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
And just like that this dream has died.

Console players who want to try this will pay for this version but folks who use iOS as their main gaming platform are not dropping g 60-70 bucks on games.

Should create a decent additional revenue stream for devs though.
Agreed, this is crazy talk. It should have been way less and included all of the dlc. This is bonkers.

Comandr

The amount of pearl clutching in this thread is something else.

1) RE4 is currently at a regular retail price of $59.99 with no dlc on all major digital stores. Why would Capcom devalue its own brand by selling the exact same game cheaper on a different platform? To sell the game at say, 29.99 implies the game is somehow a lesser version commanding a lesser price.

2) The game is not immune to discounted rates during sales.

3) If this game was released on Switch at 540p/30 it would be praised as a great way to enjoy the game. Graphics aren’t everything. GAMEPLAY FIRST. Excellent on the switch. So fun to play on the go. Plays really well on the switch. All the usual praise.

MK1 released at full price, looks like shit, and performed like ass, and people were still in that thread saying it’s not that bad.

Needlecrash

The game is now available for pre-order on the iOS Store, though only those with devices capable of playing it – iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max and some iPad Pro and iPad Air models.

VGC can confirm that in the UK, the base game is free, but it includes a number of in-app purchases, one of which is £57.99 for ‘Resident Evil 4’. The US App Store, according to TouchArcade, is charging $59.99.

The addition of a $60 / £58 in-app purchase implies that the initial ‘free’ 700MB version will be some sort of demo to show the game running on the device, at which point players will have to pay for the full game.

resi-4-ios-1.jpg
Ummm....WOW. $60 for the game....for iPhone. I think maybe $25 would be a good cost for it. But $60? Fucking hell.

Then again, I know someone who has an iPhone who bought the Mega Max X port on it and paid for the DLC to get all Weapons/Heart-Sub Tanks/First Armor so.....I'm sure there's a market. :|

Last edited:

tkscz

I mean, it's the full game so it makes sense to be the full price. Regardless of the graphical and frame rate downgrade, it's 100% the full game with no features or modes cut.

That said, this won't really fly with average joe and jane who are used to free to $10 games. Hell, they got a free-to-play gotcha style full Mario Kart game, I can't see too many people willing to pay full price on the app stores.

Shakka43

Wow that price. I remember when Dead Space was on ipad. But that was like £8?
That wasn't the Original Dead Space though. There was also a dumbed down version of Resident Evil 4 back then too for a similar low price, but this is a true port of RE4:R so the high price should be reasonably expected.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Console game warrants console prices. But I'd like to see how this plays out. If it even does a million then we could potentially see a market unfold for this shit

I've traded in my old phone for the iphone 15 pro recently and have been following this Resident Evil thing.
I don't think the price as quoted in this thread is accurate. But now I don't know for sure.
It's not in the apple store listing yet. Nor is there any promotional stuff in the app store or gaming page.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People who are not in to gaming and can effort IPhone 15 probably don’t want to spend that much money on a game, they play games on the phone for distraction during bus ride not to do serious gaming, this exactly why games like Candy Crush was so popular on there.

Most people who are in to gaming rather play games like RE4R on consoles/PC rather than on the phone.

Comandr

I've traded in my old phone for the iphone 15 pro recently and have been following this Resident Evil thing.
I don't think the price as quoted in this thread is accurate. But now I don't know for sure.
It's not in the apple store listing yet. Nor is there any promotional stuff in the app store or gaming page.
RE4R is displayed prominently at the top of the Games tab. That will take you to a special promotional page for the game. If you scroll down to the bottom of that, you can click on the actual game icon to get to the app details. Or you can just search for Resident Evil 4 in the app store. Then towards the bottom you can click on the In App Purchases drop down and see the full listing of prices.
zWLD2PR.jpg

For perspective, the additional micro transaction prices appear to be the same as other digital stores. Although it’s not immediately clear what “extra dlc pack” is.

Ah
RE4R is displayed prominently at the top of the Games tab. That will take you to a special promotional page for the game. If you scroll down to the bottom of that, you can click on the actual game icon to get to the app details. Or you can just search for Resident Evil 4 in the app store. Then towards the bottom you can click on the In App Purchases drop down and see the full listing of prices.
zWLD2PR.jpg

For perspective, the additional micro transaction prices appear to be the same as other digital stores. Although it’s not immediately clear what “extra dlc pack” is.
Thanks. I was looking for village.

Reallink

You can plug your phone into a screen and play it using a bluetooth controller, for people without a console, this may be an appealing option.
That customer would be better served by the variety of game streaming apps built into their smart TV.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Bring it to Android and I'll buy it. I have an hour lunch break at work and bring a controller sometimes to play Call of Duty mobile and Bloodstained Ritual of the Night on my S23 Ultra.

twilo99

Did you expect something less from apple? And you still rooting for them to enter the consolenmarket... good lord if you support apple it's only right they milk you

Do you think you haven't been milked by your platform of choice thus far?

It’s amazing to me that mobile gamers will drop hundreds to thousands of dollars on a “free to play” gacha game. But a $60 full gaming experience is a deal breaker..

Anyway it’s a bummer. Would like to see some of these games partner with Apple Arcade or something.

Comandr

Yet, they have $1,100 phone?
Better get a PS5 or Series X!
I've never understood this logic. People buy premium phones. People enjoy premium products. Certainly almost no one is paying full price for any of these devices. They are almost always subsidized by carriers and trade ins. So the price thing is moot.

Let's paint a picture.

Person A has an iPhone, and some interest in gaming. Perhaps not enough to have a dedicated console, but if the right game catches their eye, they might be interested in playing it. Resident Evil 4 looks like a fun, scary game, and it has received critical praise all year. It's now available on the iPhone for the same price as it is on other platforms. This person can...

Buy and play it on their phone anywhere they want or...

By your suggestion pay at LEAST $399 for a digital PS5, and the game, for about $510 after tax for one game they can only play hooked up to a TV.

Suggesting someone buy a $60 game they can play literally anywhere is CRAZY but spending over $500 to play a single game and be tethered to a TV makes so much more sense.

Fuckin'... what?

It's so funny hearing all of the conflicting opinions. In the App Store Warz & Sideloading thread, the haters shouted from the rooftops "Yeah! Tear down the walled garden! More options are always better!" "Side loading is also really important to us for some probably completely legitimate reason!"

Now the narrative is "More options are stupid! Just play it on something else!"

There are a million reasons why someone might want to play a major game on a phone. Maybe they are deployed and can't bring a lot of gadgets along. Maybe they travel a lot for work and cant hook up a whole ass game console anywhere. Maybe they live in a country where that stuff is hard to come by, or having a game console and TV and the whole setup is unreasonable. Who knows? Who cares?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
RE8 DLC drops - 20 bucks, sliver of content. Fans ARE ENRAGED. (not really, but in retrospect, we PISSED)

RE4R DLC drops - 10 bucks, entire sub-campaign. Fans ARE JAZZED. (Capcom head says games are too cheap)

RE4R Mobile drops - 60 bucks + mtx, Fans ARE LULZ, NAH BRUH. (like frfr no cap)

The Capcomicus Cyclis.

Reallink

This is not a "mobile game". It's an uncompromising, complete product, priced up front.

Isn't that want we want mobile gaming to be?
Specifically for the supposed customer who doesn't have a console or PC, no. This would be an inferior experience Vs. a proper streaming service like Geforce Now (whose 4K 120Hz tier surpasses even PS5 and SX). Again, this hypothetical customer would be better served Streaming than running a 720p/30 port on their phone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom