• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters '98 UM Final Edition |OT| There are no Ducks here, only Geese

The Light

My stick worked fine I first plugged it up. Although I did use big picture mode so that could be why.
Just wish I could use my ps3 pad without this mayflash adapter.

El Sabroso

PC mode doesn't work on PC? That's odd.

Yeah it is, it registers the stick as diferent direction, I belive it is a POV and in X360 is just the stick direction, not in home to confirm, but you can check it in Control Panel settings from Windows. Alos uses diferent driver, the X360 will use the X360 driver from XInput so is an easy way to have everything plug and play

I went ahead and bought it. SNK could use my money. I don't use a stick on my PC however though. I use a Xbox 1 Pad and it works fine, probably because it thinks its a 360 pad.

Ill try the online itself in a bit, but since I never played 98UM at all I am gonna mess around with it.,

HyperHip

Lol ran into juicebox my first online match and proceeded to get OCV'ed. Netcode seems like it will definitely be a same coast affair.

Any good wiki for this game?

Skunkers

Weird. Booted it up and I get no music. SFX work fine but no music at all, even at the title screen. Validated the install and same issue.

The Light

Weird was unable to find a match. Ahh well will try again later.
Edit: just got into a match.
Think my match was around 150 ping and it was playable. It fluctuated a few times, but overall didn't feel like I was unable to react to anything. That was just one match though will have to play a few more to get a good gauge on it.

Me and my friend just sat there as the ping rose. Nothing on either connection. I even did a test and pinged a server from where I am in Kentucky to Delaware, well Maryland since there was no server listed and I got better than this.

lrQ0eda.png

I have no idea why me and him are having so much trouble in particular. I need to play someone else and see if its better.

It could be me but I have no idea what would cause this.

Loona

I preordered but I'll be physically away from my computer until January due to vacations...

What does it take to unlock characters? No plan to use them online, but I'm a bit of a completist about these things.

IronLich

So I've tried playing online, but most of the matches I've played either lead to ragequits, or have a fair amount of delay attached to them. It's 98UM, so I'm being as optimistic as possible, but it's rare that I get a good match online, let alone finish one.

Having a good experience online (as in proper hit confirms, reaction anti-airs and overall responsiveness) provided that I stay within the 150-200 range or below. Anything above that gets stupid.

Any word regarding weird stuff like host advantage or more generally players in the same match having a different experience when it comes to lag?

also ShinGOAT

Having a good experience online (as in proper hit confirms, reaction anti-airs and overall responsiveness) provided that I stay within the 150-200 range or below. Anything above that gets stupid.

Any word regarding weird stuff like host advantage or more generally players in the same match having a different experience when it comes to lag?

also ShinGOAT

There is no proof on that stuff. I was hosting a game and I was the only one getting input lag.

Pouh

French player here, played with other french players on my friend list because I didn't found random matches (and when I did, people were keen on rage-quitting). :(

Tried about a dozen of matches, as host and invited player, ping fluctuating between 75~100 : it's suprisingly good. I didn't sense some sort of "heaviness" while jumping (the first thing I'm noticing when it lags a bit).

IMHO, the netcode seems better than KOF XIII SE.

OmegaDL50

So I took a gander at the Steam folder and apparently the music stored in a file called BGM.xwb

Which is similar to what was done with Terraria. If my theory is correct and the same thing applies to KOF'98 UMFE as it did with Terraria.

One can say for example extract the this archive and replace the OST with AST versions, or even your own custom soundtrack if you prefer.

I'm just saying if anyone has a desire to change the default soundtrack instead of the NeoGeo AES stuff, there may be a way to change it.

I don't know if this guide is at all relevant but it's worth a shot. I'm going to try it out, worse thing can happen is I mess up my KOF98UMFE install and I just delete and redownload it.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/how-to-custom-soundtracks.21951/

In any case once I figure out how this works, if I'm successful, I'll let you all know it works.

Code Mystics about Day 1 problems.

CodeMystics said:
On netcode:

Netcode is a delicate business and one where you can rarely anticipate all the real-world scenarios. There have been some very positive reports and some very negative reports. To those who are having an unpleasant experience, take heart in that the positive reports suggest that it's not fundamentally broken and so once we identify what's going on with the negative experiences, we can issue an update to address it for everyone.

That said, we don't want to be making rash changes to the public build that keep people off balance, and possibly break things for others or break things that aren't broken. What we expect to be doing is reaching out to some of the people experiencing problems and are interesting in helping us improve the game, and invite them into a private beta where we can work more one-on-one to diagnose the issues. We have a netcode analysis package we created for development, and so it would be greatly helpful to have it run on some of your systems that are having issues. We'll say more once we've had a day or so to study the feedback as a whole and form a plan.

In the meantime, we did have a report to us that the netcode experience is much improved for games started via invite instead of matchmaking lobby. (Please note, it may be that you have to restart the game to see this improvement if you have already tried matchmaking since launch.) We know this is not a solution or even a workaround, but if a lot of you are finding this same result, tell us, because that's an important clue that can help us focus on what needs to be done.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/222420/discussions/0/626329820632883260/

There is other stuff in there as well about inputs for example but, this was the meat of it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Played some matches online. Connection quality is all over the place. Some matches I played were absolutely horrible, XBLA '98 UM bad. Others were actually pretty decent, and a few were really good. So I don't feel like I got ripped off, but I also went in with very low expectations. When things were bad, the game just became about who had the best character for lag-spamming. Heidern is amazing when there's lag, BTW.

Playing this was just so damn awesome, though. I haven't touched '98 UM in at least four years and forgot what a fantastic fighter this is, especially with those changed-up EX characters. <3

Might just be a coincidence, but the first few matches I played were complete shit, connection-wise. Then Steam went down for maintenance. When I tried again, everything was better.

Played some matches online. Connection quality is all over the place. Some matches I played were absolutely horrible, XBLA '98 UM bad. Others were actually pretty decent, and a few were really good. So I don't feel like I got ripped off, but I also went in with very low expectations. When things were bad, the game just became about who had the best character for lag-spamming. Heidern is amazing when there's lag, BTW.

Playing this was just so damn awesome, though. I haven't touched '98 UM in at least four years and forgot what a fantastic fighter this is, especially with those changed-up EX characters. <3

Might just be a coincidence, but the first few matches I played were complete shit, connection-wise. Then Steam went down for maintenance. When I tried again, everything was better.
I never played 98 UM before, its really a great game and a big upgrade to 98. I never went down for steam maintenance though.

I installed this in my brother's pc while my laptop gets repaired.

Man, I love XIII, but damn I really missed Eiji, Shingo and Chris.

The port seems great so far, altho I haven't tried online yet since there wasn't anyone playing with a ping below 200.

Btw, has anyone else had the game crash after a game over in arcade mode?

Karsha

Not sure if it's a bug or not but the first character theme continues to play the whole match, I remember it being different mmm

alstein

Not sure if it's a bug or not but the first character theme continues to play the whole match, I remember it being different mmm

It's the way it usually is- though there are exceptions in single-player for Orochi NFT and 97 team, maybe Boss team also.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Played about 5 hours straight tonight. Netcode was 50% ass 50% smooth so far.
The funny thing is that when playing a friend in socal, like 20mins away from me, was probably my most unplayable match all night, but my smoothest was with a friend in GA.

That's some weird shit and it ain't like he on potato internet or anything.

Also seems to be some host advantage shenanigans. One match I hosted it was smooth on my end but terrible for the person on the other end. Then there's was some desyncs quite a few times

Heman

I am hoping to be short hopping on to this very soon. Any gaf members from uk with this game to test connections?

I installed this in my brother's pc while my laptop gets repaired.

Man, I love XIII, but damn I really missed Eiji, Shingo and Chris.

The port seems great so far, altho I haven't tried online yet since there wasn't anyone playing with a ping below 200.

Btw, has anyone else had the game crash after a game over in arcade mode?

I got a crash after getting Game Over for the first time Single Play mode.

Top Bottom