• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters '98 UM Final Edition |OT| There are no Ducks here, only Geese

word, i'll grab it when it goes on sale again.

welp, bought the game today. add me up on steam if you guys wanna run some games:

steam: emperorbohe

i've casually played the neo-geo version of KOF98 back in the day and on kaillera/ggpo/supercade/fightcade so i'm not too good, but i'll learn.

Tizoc

Say I've never played a KOF but have jammed SF for years. Good place to jump in?

Yup, you can still play it as a simple fighting game, if you want something more familiar, stick to Advanced mode, 1 stock of meter can be used for super moves.

You can also use 1 stock of meter in order to do defensive maneuvers while blocking which aren't too hard to do.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Picked it up on sale today.

Anyone have any good SweetFx settings for this? This is the best I've found, but the resolution is a little off.

http://pastebin.ca/2888634

The ones linked in this thread don't seem right. Stuff looks too blocky/weird.

alstein

Unfortunately no, unlike you like 400+ pings from Asians.

98 was always more popular in Asia, and 2k2 more popular in the Americas.

Asians have better taste. ^_^

Amedo310

Which part of Asia? Japan really don't care much about FE since it came out too late, especially since the game was not even featured in the last Dueling the KOF tournament, and China has 97.

Yagami_Sama

I played some matches and foud people with max ping at about 150 or 200 was pretty hard.

And I even played some lag matches, ping in between 650 - 800 and, I was surprised in see how people are used to play like that. I was barely able perform a simple command, while people was doing some combos.

If you guys want to add me just look for Yagami_Sama

KenHero

Neo Member
(I know, I am an archeologist)

I have bought all version of that game - PS2 on PS4, XBLA and PC. Love them all. Some thoughts:

1. Currently you can buy PS2 version for cheap price on PSN. It has additional modes, artworks, OST versions and both 3D and 2D backgrounds that are not in XBLA/PC ports. Would love to see one more revision with additional characters (KoF characters form newer games that historicly belng to older games like Duck King, World Heroes team etc).
  2. XBLA port can be played on Xbox One. Same story with NGBC that features great, re-drawn sprites:
DXI7ci9U0AIyRq7.jpg

3. You can buy Neo-Geo version of KoF98 on Switch, XBLA, PS4 etc, howevr avoid western releases of Orochi Saga - input lag and emulation are terrible.
4. Best versions for online play is still emu on PC, so SNK could/should do one more version with good netcode.

All in all KoF98 for me is one of evergreens - games so playable and perfect that I have played it in 1998, I play it now, I will play it in 10 years. Just like with Outrun 2k6, Heroes 3, Garou, or Doom.
Awesome game.

Top Bottom