• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of Sekiro DLC is a crying shame.

The "true ending" concludes like a 2001: A Space Odyssey astro-baby cliffhanger, implying a journey to another land. The combat is phenomenal and I would've loved more mid-bosses and bosses. More mid-bosses for each 'faction' in particular would be cool. More Centipede monks. More Purple-garbed ninjas (Interior Ministry). More shinobi hunters. More Seven Spears Ashina generals. etc

As an extra feature, a Japanese chalice dungeon remix mode would be cool as heck. More Arts. More prosthetic tools, too.

The difference between Sekiro and the other FROM titles is that the other DLCs fleshed out the main story but didn't necessarily conclude anything. Bloodborne (for instance) is all the better with the Old Hunters DLC, but it is a complete game without it.

Sekiro, on the other hand, feels like it needs one concluding chapter to wrap up all the events of the game.

Last edited:
Funny how this is the age when everybody hates DLC....except if it's FROMSOFT doing them. They are the gods of quality DLC.
Yep, the DLC is some of the best made. I'd rank the Mario Kart 8 team DLC up there, too.

Agreed. Hopefully we get a sequel in lieu of a DLC campaign.
I wouldn't mind a full-blown sequel, but I wouldn't mind a bit more content in the first game before they reiterate the mechanics in a sequel. I mean, Ninja Gaiden II is incredibly cool but the world would be a sadder place without Ninja Gaiden Black. I want a Sekiro Black with a final, hefty content add-on before a Sekiro 2.

Whether it's DLC or a sequel, I'd happily take both/either, not gonna lie. It's still kind of amazing that Bloodborne got DLC.

Currently stuck on the Ape. His second phase has me stumped. I would love some DLC for this awesome game, though.
Look up a strategy if you're stumped. Every boss has a few ways to cheese and reliably counter. Just remember that it is designed to stump Soulsborne fanatics.

And/Or ask for tips in the Sekiro OT

Dev1lXYZ

Look up a strategy if you're stumped. Every boss has a few ways to cheese and reliably counter. Just remember that it is designed to stump Soulsborne fanatics.

And/Or ask for tips in the Sekiro OT

I have a few YT videos in my rotation with strategies. 😂 I just cant quite make it through with said ways. I need to practice more on him. Thanks for the info, though!

Last edited:

Fbh

Who could have guessed we'd be upset about an Activision game not having DLC?

But yeah, I agree. FROM is one of the best when it comes to DLC and it's a shame Sekiro didn't get any. The ending felt more like it was hinting at a Sequel rather than DLC but I would have welcomed a side story or epilogue.

Last edited:

J3nga

Currently stuck on the Ape. His second phase has me stumped. I would love some DLC for this awesome game, though.
You should read manual written by gitama gudoyama, everyone gets aprroximately 1000% once done that.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I was hoping for DLC following the Dragon's Homecoming Ending as that seemed to make the most sense IMO. Another game tat starts there could work too IMO.

Who could have guessed we'd be upset about an Activision game not having DLC?

But yeah, I agree. FROM is one of the best when it comes to DLC and it's a shame Sekiro didn't get any. The ending felt more like it was hinting at a Sequel rather than DLC but I would have welcomed a side story or epilogue.
I wouldn't mind a sequel. But I also really like the idea of addressing some of the complaints against the "core" game with a DLC expansion. FROM has done an excellent job of exactly that: each DLC expands the core experience, offering more build variety, more alternative paths, etc. Even in a fairly linear game like Bloodborne, The Old Hunters offers a significant detour after the player beats the first "major" boss. Between chalice dungeons and Old Hunters DLC, I've been able to level up myself and my gear and then cheese through the main storyline.

Sekiro would greatly benefit from more "grinding" areas (in a manner of speaking) for players who wanted more build variety and more customization. The game opens up very early, just after you beat the Raging Bull and the first boss (the guy on horseback). You can get one of the divine offerings, the Mibu breathing technique, and a bunch of beads/tools/candy/experience before tackling Genichiro on the rooftop.

I went back through this thread and loved reading through early impressions. I didn't get to play this game until 2020 and I think it's impressive that it is still being talked about.

yeah especially since the plot seems perfectly set up for a side story about Tomoe
I wish there were more bell-memory missions (instead of just the one at Hirata Estates), perhaps a bell-memory that sends Wolf all the way back to the war between the residents of Ashina and the Okami Warriors. The plot about Tomoe and the previous heir, plus maybe some battles from the original Ashina uprising would all be cool events to witness/participate in.

MiguelItUp

Honestly to me it feels like From would rather focus on new games and titles rather than DLC for the most part. Not entirely sure why. Maybe it's because they're confident enough in knowing that if they make a new title that's similar to their other beloved titles that they'll still move products and make good money. Even more money as it's a whole new title rather that just DLC. 🤷‍♂️

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'd rather a full blown sequel after Eldin Ring is released. Like 2023 for Sekiro II. Considering it's way more story focused and less obtuse than Miyazaki's other games it only makes sense for the show to go on.

D.Final

Banned
The "true ending" concludes like a 2001: A Space Odyssey astro-baby cliffhanger, implying a journey to another land. The combat is phenomenal and I would've loved more mid-bosses and bosses. More mid-bosses for each 'faction' in particular would be cool. More Centipede monks. More Purple-garbed ninjas (Interior Ministry). More shinobi hunters. More Seven Spears Ashina generals. etc

As an extra feature, a Japanese chalice dungeon remix mode would be cool as heck. More Arts. More prosthetic tools, too.

The difference between Sekiro and the other FROM titles is that the other DLCs fleshed out the main story but didn't necessarily conclude anything. Bloodborne (for instance) is all the better with the Old Hunters DLC, but it is a complete game without it.

Sekiro, on the other hand, feels like it needs one concluding chapter to wrap up all the events of the game.

True

-Troid-

Banned
I want a DLC about Lady Tomoe. I want to know if the chick at the top of the mountain before you face the dragon is her.

royox

Second phase is much much easyer. Don't be scared by him. Parry all his attacks and make sure you parry the strongest one with the sword and he will get stunned and you will be able to kill him. Never attack him, just parry. Super easy.

I loved the Sekiro world. DLC would be a great way for FROM to build on it without taking a sizeable amount of resources to create something for Sekiro without another game. I don't know if I would want another Sekiro as I am drooling for more Bloodborne.

MDSLKTR

I like the fact it's condensed like that, a sequel will do. Sekiro is the most approachable From software game lore wise and I hope it stays like that.

I loved the Sekiro world. DLC would be a great way for FROM to build on it without taking a sizeable amount of resources to create something for Sekiro without another game. I don't know if I would want another Sekiro as I am drooling for more Bloodborne.
To this point, I think FROM needs at least one or two more teams. They have fans who want more Armored Core. They have fans who want Dark Souls 4. Bloodborne and Sekiro each have their own fans. Then there are scattering of fans for FROM's other franchises like King's Field, Otogi, or Kuon.

And their next game (Elden Ring) is yet another new IP. They have so many IPs yet not enough teams to revisit/revive/remaster. There's a lot of crossover between fandoms, to be fair.

Edit: typos

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would have LOOOOOVED if we got DLC for Sekiro that was similar to The Old Hunter for Bloodborne.

God, I loved Sekiro.

Last edited:
I certainly require a sequel, but I don't have interest in DLC. Every thing I did and didnt do was to make the credits role. It stands alone.

The game was too much about ending something. That's what makes it great. They have to go to a whole new region and fight a new mythology to continue telling a story.

Here is a DLC idea if you need it: play the game through someone else's perspective and Sekiro kills you unceremoniously. Would be great.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Lets not forget R* too was great at it. Really missed opportunities with GTA V sp dlc
I'm not mad at Borderlands 2 DLC either. I haven't played Borderlands 3 DLC yet because I'm all grown up now even though I did buy the Season Pass.

I really need to stop wasting money.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like games that are finished.
Souls games are usually scaled for for whole pla through and added dlc is usually very hard to scale to.
Maybe Sekiro would not have this issue since it's not rpg as much

tassletine

Definitely. The main criticism I have with the game is that the souls style level structure makes it feel far too unfocused. I would love a more linear experience, and that’s what the dlc would offer. Apart from ds1 my favourite parts of the other games is always the dlc, where it’s just one level after another thrashing you.

Top Bottom