• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly his awful political views have me intrigued to play this.

its sort of like watching clips of alex jones on youtube. you know you're watching some sort of ideological trainwreck but its still fascinating.

the trouble with this though is that at the end of the day he's getting paid, but still I wanna see whats up here and how much of his questionable opinions are reflected in the game.

It's pretty amazing how we get this exact same post once every few posts, and the discussion just regurgitates. It's not about the creator's remarks. It's about the game being a gamergate wet dream. The creator's views are the premise of the game.

I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I saw a cool trailer and thought it looked like a sweet game. I'm going to ignore the twitter sphere and judge the game on its own merits.

If I dislike it's messages then fine - I'd judge it to be distasteful. But I'd rather judge it on its own.

Is this not a fair way to assess a game? id rather go into it blind.

Famassu

You're comparing this to neo-Nazism? I doubt every common person buying this game is buying this out of hatred and to stick it to some people.

Is the creator of this game a neo-nazi or is/was very adamantly "strong" on his views? Not being snarky, just curious.
GGers/alt-right is neo-nazism, yes, just re-branded such to make themselves feel better because calling oneself a nazi is still not largely OK in society due to all the baggage it brings, but being "alt-right" sounds better, even though they are essentially the same. Lamer, nerdier parts of it, yeah, but sharing very similar values and using modern tech to push their hateful, bigoted agendas.

I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I saw a cool trailer and thought it looked like a sweet game. I'm going to ignore the twitter sphere and judge the game on its own merits.

If I dislike it's messages then fine - I'd judge it to be distasteful. But I'd rather judge it on its own.

You are simultaneously monetarely supporting people who support racism, homo-, trans-, islamo- & other phobias, misogyny etc. If you're fine with that just to experience a game with cool visuals, go ahead.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Of course it's a fair way to assess a game... But in this case you know where this game comes from now. You can't (or shouldn't, at least) ignore the facts that you yourself now possess and fool yourself into thinking you're "going in blind".

Whether you deem it distasteful or not by the time you're done with the game won't matter. By purchasing the game you will be actively supporting a game that pushes that agenda, even when you know that it pushes that agenda.

But it seems you're fine with that, so more power to you I guess.

Drek

No, because it's literally giving financial support to oppression oriented propaganda.

Would you go to a KKK barbecue fund raiser to support more cross burnings because they smoke some good meat?

But you're not going in blind.

Been quoted for most of this page. Sorry I misunderstood the greater context of this game. I don't support any of those things in any of your replies and it is a great disservice to suggest that I do.

I just thought it looked amazing :(

I'm going to forget I saw the trailer for this and go be happy in the hitman/ IO thread.

Whats interesting is the game also takes place in a world where we lost to global warming. That's actually one of the biggest drivers of their story, since it seems the main city was constructed on a massive tanker that roams the new oceans of the world.

Too bad they don't lead with that, erase their twitter, apologize and shut up about women. It will be a shame to miss out on this.

Been quoted for most of this page. Sorry I misunderstood the greater context of this game. I don't support any of those things in any of your replies and it is a great disservice to suggest that I do.

I'm going to forget I saw the trailer for this and go be happy in the hitman/ IO thread.
Saying you don't care about the creators views is what suggests that you tacitly support them.

Saying you don't care about the creators views is what suggests that you tacitly support them.

I meant that I didn't want to cloud my judgment of the game with the surrounding drama. Not that I didn't mind what he was saying.

As was mentioned above you can't seperate the two in this instance. Having read what was said is why I said I greatly misunderstood the greater context of the situation. Trying to say I was wrong.

Machina

Banned

See I don't really buy this. I get the desire to deny Gamergaters any traction, but you look at the situation with Roman Polanski and you see that people aren't so black and white when it comes to art being judged by who the artist is

I'll have to see if the final game is problematic.

Tim Soret has apologized for his remarks and claims that he isn't that person anymore, and I've got to believe people can change and leave behind such horrible stuff. I know, for example, that Jim Sterling made some horrible comments back in the day and is now one of the most progressive and open minded voices out there. I fully believe Jim is who he says he is now.

But a game with a problematic message, from a person who once made remarks like that, it's not one I'm going to touch.

So put me down for wait and see. Perhaps the final game will be devoid of anything problematic. Perhaps he'll never say anything horrible again. And maybe he'll still be a horrible person deep down inside, but I'll never be able to know that.

People are prohibited from saying positive things about the game art style now or whateaver?

The fuck? Might wanna add to the title "please don't come into this thread if not for calling people nazi or talking about the developer's twitter history"

Because that's what i get from your post

If you enter this thread and engage without at least reading the OP, you are breaking NeoGAF guidelines.

Given the nature of the OP and the primary subject of discussion in this thread, if you come in just saying "Day 1!" without at least acknowledging the "controversy" you are being A) bafflingly oblivious and low-key violating GAF's rules, or B) purposely obtuse in an attempt to downplay the existence or validity of the controversy.

"Despite the controversy, I still think the game looks great!" or "I'm not worried about the foundation of the story, it's still a Day 1 Purchase for me." is totally valid. I mean, I disagree with those views, but that is what is considered active engagement in a thread.

Don't conflate my earlier post with your disingenuous portrayal of liberal censorship.

cntr

Banned
Tim Soret has apologized for his remarks and claims that he isn't that person anymore, and I've got to believe people can change and leave behind such horrible stuff.
Soret and the other devs have liked Gamergate stuff on Twitter after they made the apology, so probably not.

MazeHaze

Banned
I meant that I didn't want to cloud my judgment of the game with the surrounding drama. Not that I didn't mind what he was saying.

As was mentioned above you can't seperate the two in this instance. Having read what was said is why I said I greatly misunderstood the greater context of the situation. Trying to say I was wrong.

The problem is, every 20 posts someone comes in here and says something like "who cares about the drama? DAY ONE PURCHASE BABY!"

It's pretty transparent, and increasingly annoying.

If you don't have any problem financially supporting and furthering the agenda someone who sees women as lesser people and was/is involved in a harassment campaign against women in the industry, that's fine. But you probably shouldn't be jumping into threads and bragging about that, especially here.

MazeHaze

Banned
In the last week?

The apology I heard (and was talking about) was at the PC Gaming Show just the other day.

Yeah and in the last week, the writer of the game was liking posts on twitter that basically said Zoe Quinn was just a drama queen doing it for attention, and saying stuff like "fuck the haters"

Edit: And from what I've seen, the GG crowd (which these devs are obviously supporters of) is all saying the hate for this game right now is being spearheaded by Quinn simply to promote her new book.

These motherfuckers are disgusting, they won't be getting any of my time or money.

nynt9

In the last week?

The apology I heard (and was talking about) was at the PC Gaming Show just the other day.

Yes. If you go back a page or two you can see they're not very repentant.

His twitter likes over the past 24 h don't really tell a strong "repentance" story.

uQmljh1.png

9Fwu29V.png

l83J84X.png

Also they're still liking pro-GG tweets, yes.

MazeHaze

Banned

Man, reading stuff like that makes me physically ill that people can be so oblivious to reality.

I guess the good thing is, all of this shit is well known to everyone right now, I think most of the big podcasts will be steering clear of this one. You're gonna have a lot of people that don't want to give the game any attention due to the bullshit associated with it.

sirap

Really disappointed that MS remains mum on this controversy. Guess they're plan is to ride it out and hope people forget about it once the game launches.

MazeHaze

Banned
Really disappointed that MS remains mum on this controversy. Guess they're plan is to ride it out and hope people forget about it once the game launches.

Hopefully the game sucks and does terribly and these bottom dwelling shit lords are out of a job.

balgajo

Came to say that the music in the trailer is awesome. I heard it in a party yesterday and I was happy when I remembered that it was from this game.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

So by those tweets, the GG person is admitting that "their games" are based on misogynistic ideals and messages?

faint.

The game looks boring to play from the little they've shown, IMO. The quirky artstyle isn't enough to grab my attention. I was wondering why GAF had a 3000 page thread on this game when I remember dismissing it as soon as it was revealed.

nynt9

So by those tweets, the GG person is admitting that "their games" are based on misogynistic ideals and messages?

No that's this tweet:

KmpDjSb.png

*proceeds to wait for the next 5 posts where someone asks the same question again*

To fire and publicly shame them, of course!

Fire? They don't employ these devs. But Microsoft putting their weight behind a developer and game that explicitly supports gamergate, a movement that harasses and threatens women, is not a good look.

It's funny how the pro-id@xbox arguments always kept saying the program exists to vet games for the platform, "first class citizens" and all. This is the game that passes through their vetting process?

Reading the very fair Verge article about this game which briefly mentions the creators abhorrent views but instead focuses on the aesthetics of the game. I'm beginning to think that if you slap a blade runner knockoff look on anything then people will flip shit and praise it. The aesthetics are basically the tired look that almost every piece of cyberpunk media has had since Blade Runner and yet somehow the creator and a bunch of people here think it's completely new.

The article even mentions how Soret is just flat out contradictory and pompous when he talks about how the cityscape is different because it is influenced by the city of Hong Kong.
To seal the deal there's the fact that nobody making the game seems to be able to explain how they are doing anything different from all the other cyberpunk media already out there despite claiming its totally revolutionary. But sure that aesthetic is totally unique.

Famassu

No worries. Didn't want to imply you support any of it, just that purchasing this game would support individuals who DO think like that.

cntr

Banned
Perhaps I can like the look of a game without getting wrapped up in a political discussion. I'm allowed to do that, right?
You can, but we'll give you shit for not even acknowledging the crap this game is based around, you know, like a normal person with empathy would. Everybody's allowed to do that.

nynt9

Perhaps I can like the look of a game without getting wrapped up in a political discussion. I'm allowed to do that, right?

I mean, you said "the concept is fresh". The concept is "what if feminazis took over the world, presented by gamergate". Sure, it's fresh, and you're allowed to talk about it, but it's political and don't act so shocked when people go "wtf dude"

Thanks. I read the OP and was familiar with the initial burst of drama, and heard the apology live. This is more than enough context to show that I want nothing to do with this title, and that they aren't remotely aware of why their comments were bad in the first place.

Fortunately there are still more than enough games than I have time to play.

Flintty

I mean, you said "the concept is fresh". The concept is "what if feminazis took over the world, presented by gamergate". Sure, it's fresh, and you're allowed to talk about it, but it's political and don't act so shocked when people go "wtf dude"

I'm not shocked, this is NeoGAF after all. Just saying the game looks interesting. It's different.

I like GTA V, it doesn't mean I can relate to a life of crime. I could go on.

I'm not shocked, this is NeoGAF after all. Just saying the game looks interesting. It's different.

You do know GTA is something like a parody of criminal life, right? The comparison doesn't work.

nynt9

It's really unsurprising to see the exact same arguments brought up every page or two. I'm not tired of giving back the exact same responses yet, so here you go:

1- GTA doesn't really have a political message of "crime is cool, you should do more"
2- This game has a political message of "feminism is bad, #gamergate"
3- GTA is primarily a gameplay driven by gameplay and blockbuster storytelling
4- This game is primarily a narrative game exploring a particular concept

There are many aspects of GTAV to like beyond its premise, and its premise is clearly not an endorsement of the views of its creators. This game is centered around its premise, the premise is an endorsement of the views of its creators.

Look, tell yourself what you want if you want to play this game, but at least do us the favor of not wasting our time with disingenuous/poorly thought out arguments. We've had enough of those in this thread. These exact same arguments you make have already been made and discussed a dozen times already.

edit: if you think being against gamergate and misogyny is just "this is neogaf after all" then maybe this forum isn't the best place for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom