• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Sold 44% Fewer Copies Than Predecessor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Source

• The Last of Us Part 2 sold 10 million copies in total.
  • In comparison, The Last of Us Remaster sold 18 million units, 8 million more than Part 2.
  • The upcoming remaster of Part 2 could help bridge this gap to an extent.
This data comes from the latest Insomniac leaks, confirming the sales figures for various PlayStation games, including Bloodborne’s total sales.

The report states PlayStation sold 18 million units of The Last of Us Remastered. This is a major difference, and it only becomes larger when counting the 8 million sales of the original PS3 version.

The first game sold 26 million units in total, but Sony has yet to provide figures for its sequel beyond 10 million sales. While the date from the leaks might be a few months old, it shows a massive difference.

Still, much of this difference comes from the long shelf-life of the first game. Part 2 has been on the market for just three years, while the first game is nearing its 11th anniversary.

The Last of Us Part 2 had many strengths. Many consider the story more gripping and emotional than the first game’s. It was also a more ambitious title, lasting twice as long as the first game. Still, parts of the game were not as well received. Many players did not like the fact that Naughty Dog tried to do too many things at once. This resulted in a lack of proper character development, leading to less memorable characters.
Despite its flaws, The Last of Us Part 2 was a juggernaut for PlayStation.

The game went through a major sales surge after a successful TV adaptation earlier this year. It also held the record for most Game of the Year awards, only beaten by Elden Ring in 2022.

Last edited:

vivftp

2 years of sales vs. 8/9 years of sales where the latter would've had been included in far more bundles and been offered at significantly lower prices for may more years.

I believe there was a slide that indicated from a revenue perspective Part 2 is about on par or even has exceeded the original, meaning Part 2 has been selling at a higher average price than the first game. This is a moving target and this data is just a snapshot at a particular point in time. Context, as always, is key.

So OP, what precisely was your goal with this thread? A failed attempt to shit on Part 2?

squarealex

Pretend that TLOU1 wasn't released on PS3

Claim that TLOU1 did not benefit from many PS3 and PS4 bundles with the console (Wich not the case for the second, like no one except limited PS4 Pro)

Pretend that TLOU1 was never bought by PS3 to PS4 owners, because 1080p/60fps like GTAV

Pretend we still know the sales copies for TLOUp2 even with leak (no, is not the case)

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

That is still a lot. Naughty Dog told that 10 million number in 2022. I'm sure it sold a lot more after the the TV show was released.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Days Gone is there. Why no sequel Sony??
Poor critical reception. If it had scored in the 80s, you'd likely see a sequel soon.

I also don't get the thread. I thought OP would specify 44% fewer copies in the same time frame but it's overall. No problem with TLOUII then.

tusharngf

giphy-downsized-large.gif

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What to say about the sales numbers difference between Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West:

24 million vs 8 million.

Don't forget that HFW was released on two platforms. Enormous drop-off.

God of War: Ragnarok did much better: 15 million copies even though the game came out seven months later than HFW.

The reason for the drop-off (according to Sony) was adding HFW to PS+ Extra which immediately killed future game sales.

67mDICd.jpg

Last edited:

Wildebeest

The industry has put itself in a position where new single player games are expected to be worse than remasters of 10-20 year old games.

Woopah

Tears of the Kingdom sold 37% fewer copies than its predecessor. What a failure.
The industry has put itself in a position where new single player games are expected to be worse than remasters of 10-20 year old games.
By early 2022, Part 2 had already generated more revenue than TLOU Remasteted.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm surprised that The Last of Us Remastered sold more than double what The Last of Us sold on PS3. I would've thought those numbers were flipped.

yurinka

Source

• The Last of Us Part 2 sold 10 million copies in total.
  • In comparison, The Last of Us Remaster sold 18 million units, 8 million more than Part 2.
  • The upcoming remaster of Part 2 could help bridge this gap to an extent.
This data comes from the latest Insomniac leaks, confirming the sales figures for various PlayStation games, including Bloodborne’s total sales.

The report states PlayStation sold 18 million units of The Last of Us Remastered. This is a major difference, and it only becomes larger when counting the 8 million sales of the original PS3 version.

The first game sold 26 million units in total, but Sony has yet to provide figures for its sequel beyond 10 million sales. While the date from the leaks might be a few months old, it shows a massive difference.

TLOU1 sales number covers over 9 years. TLOU2 outsold it in barely a couple years.

TLOU1 remaster was released over 8 years ago, TLOU2 remaster still hasn't been released.

TLOU 1 got relaunched/remarketed a DLC, a remaster, a remake, a PC port and a tv show season. TLOU2 didn't.

TLOU2 is selling better than TLOU1 launch aligned.

I'm surprised that The Last of Us Remastered sold more than double what The Last of Us sold on PS3. I would've thought those numbers were flipped.
This is because it was released on PS3 very late on its lifecycle, only a few months before the PS4 release. And PS4 wasn't BC.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
PSN - NPD - GSD Europe Charts

November - US 8th - EU - 7th | Player tracker shows 7.2m million players

April - EU - 12th
August - EU - 16th
October - EU - 11th
November - US - 16th - EU - 6th

March - US - 15th - EU - 13th Last of Us Part II sold over 10 million copies | Leak data shows 9.93 million by the end of Feb
April - US - 14th - EU - 11th |
August - US - 10th - EU - 7th
September - US - 11th - EU - 15th | Last of Us Part I Release Date
November - US - 4th - EU - 4th | 12th GSD Europe
December - US - 7th - EU - 5th - JP - 15th

January - US - 7th - EU - 7th | Last of Us Show TV Premiere
February - US - 1st - EU - 1st - JP - 9th | 18th NPD | 7th GSD Europe
March - US - 9th - EU - 10th | Season Finale
April - US - 1st - EU - 1st - JP - 15th | 5th GSD Europe
July - US - 12th - EU - 11th

14th best-selling title in Europe for the first half of 2024

We can see how sales improved.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's around 15 million copies sold.

Now the remastered version is going to be released next month.

Mowcno

Sold 44% less then the Last of us Remastered.... After 8 years of sales for TLOU:R and 2 years for TLOU2. What a bizarre way to put it. But yes TLOU2 is selling worse.

yurinka

Days Gone is there. Why no sequel Sony??
Poor critical reception. If it had scored in the 80s, you'd likely see a sequel soon.

I also don't get the thread. I thought OP would specify 44% fewer copies in the same time frame but it's overall. No problem with TLOUII then.
Sony never received a Days Gone 2 pitch from Bend because an internal Bend boss didn't want to make a DG2 and decided to make a new IP instead, which unlike DG2 was pitched to Sony (and greenlighted).

Majormaxxx

Those numbers don't really show the true state of things... So who knows if it really underperformed. It was a critical darling and swept a truckton of awards, even if half of OG fans hated it. Heck, the remaster, which I damn well am not buying, might redeem it.

That said, fuck the last of us 2, fuck the deceptive bait and switch marketing for the game, fuck the forced "diversity and inclusion" and fuck the Drück.

xrnzaaas

Comparing only the number of sold copies doesn't mean anything. The remaster has been available for much longer, on the other side the second game started getting price discounts very fast for a first party Sony game.

PeteBull

Not surprised, woke agenda in 2nd last of us definitely put off many customers, there is a reason for get woke go broke saying, even hbo tv series didnt help much, coz that woke crowd either gets free copies(so called "professional journos") or just gets enraged on twitter :p

violence

It sold more than the PS3 last of us. The remaster is pretty impressive saleswise but I remember getting it for under $10.

Last edited:

Shakka43

The thing with TLoU 2 is that sales seems to have stalled pretty hard after year one or even just the first few months. The remaster will help but I doubt it will ever catch up to the first one, the Uncharted remaster PS5 didn't sell too much and I don't expect TLoU2 one to do any better.

2 years of sales vs. 8/9 years of sales where the latter would've had been included in far more bundles and been offered at significantly lower prices for may more years.

I believe there was a slide that indicated from a revenue perspective Part 2 is about on par or even has exceeded the original, meaning Part 2 has been selling at a higher average price than the first game. This is a moving target and this data is just a snapshot at a particular point in time. Context, as always, is key.

So OP, what precisely was your goal with this thread? A failed attempt to shit on Part 2?

I don't think the OP is stating their own opinion here, they haven't leaned into PS smearing in their posts at least to my knowledge. Just report things as others mention them.

And I mean it's technically true TLOU2 has sold less than the original game but, as always, context matters. Lots of other people ITT are providing the context; it's the shitposters online who'll just take the sales data itself and run with a negative narrative because things like time on the market, # available platforms (IIRC TLOU Remaster's sales also include the original PS3 release?), etc. otherwise ruin their FUD.

Also very critical here is the sales cut-off is prior to the show's release, and we know TLOU2 in particular saw big sales jumps as the show was going on. It also got a sales bump with TLOU 1 Remake's release. None of that is reflected in this chart listing, which is almost two years out of date.

Not surprised, woke agenda in 2nd last of us definitely put off many customers, there is a reason for get woke go broke saying, even hbo tv series didnt help much, coz that woke crowd either gets free copies(so called "professional journos") or just gets enraged on twitter :p

There were several times in NPD/Circana this year where TLOU2 saw sales bumps into the Top 20 due in part to the show, and the Remake of the first game.

Also for a game that's supposedly woke there sure are a lot of non-white characters who end up brutally dead, female characters getting the shit kicked out of them, female characters making clearly wrong decisions and paying the price for them, and a butch female lead basically set up as an antagonist...

...maybe the game isn't that "woke", but instead your state of mind is? Or at least obsessed with it?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
And the production cost is probably way higher as well. Should have sold less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom