• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor PC Performance Discussion OT: May The Port Be With You

yamaci17

Im capping it using the nvidia control panel. whats the difference here?

I tested it and while there are no stutters, it doesnt feel as smooth while panning around. (As smooth as HFW's 40 fps mode)

At least im not getting any stutters anymore.

in game frame limiters can be a little bit more smoother, but most importantly, have minimum amount of input lag and feel snappy

frametime graph may look weirder compared to NVCP cap, but somehow it can feel smoother. I'd say definitely give it a try

Last edited:
It's a shame that people tend to blame developers before questioning publishers. Publishers pay developers to make products, so, as a result they have a lot of say. Apparently a lot of people aren't aware of this. Publishers care more about money and numbers as a result, and are usually more interested in the business side of things. Which shouldn't be too shocking. That said, some publishers are better than others, be it they treat developers better, are more understanding and lenient, etc.

Delays can most certainly help developers make a better product in the long run if they hit some bumps in their dev cycle. But delays also cost more money, sometimes a lot more money than publishers are willing to spend.
Does it matter? When I go to a restaurant and the food is cold I don't care whose fault it is. These details are irrelevant for the customer.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Does it matter? When I go to a restaurant and the food is cold I don't care whose fault it is. These details are irrelevant for the customer.
Well, if it was a hardware issue, like the game looking like The Matrix Demo and needing to lower resolution on any X080 or X800 card, one may say it's just that, makes sense, we cannot do much beyond upgrading or machines. Our fault and it's evident.

But if the game looks like previous entry but doubling specs, knowing we are not at fault helps us decide if we rather wait for fixes, play it some time in the future when we get better PC specs or rush an upgrade.

But this year PC ports mostly just need more time in the oven... There's nothing consoles can do that PC cannot just because of some inherent magic, there are always ways to make PC adapt to some weird console architectural difference.

But there's a thing: Right now you don't even have to, right now PC I/O is not only equally fast but also faster than console's, a 1TB nvme drive is around $80 already, if they're playing the long game with PC gaming market, then why not just forget about those non-SSD users anyway? Most mid range gaming PCs have SSD or nvme anyway, it's way cheaper than making people change GPU because of VRAM management going out of control

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
in game frame limiters can be a little bit more smoother, but most importantly, have minimum amount of input lag and feel snappy

frametime graph may look weirder compared to NVCP cap, but somehow it can feel smoother. I'd say definitely give it a try
Changing the framerate in that file didnt help much and caused more stutters and graphics pop up. I also started getting weird artifacts in the SSR reflections. really weird stuff.

changing it back to 0 then limiting it from the nvidia control panel fixed all that.

I definitely see the graphics upgrade in RT. I dont think its all reflections. The problem is 40 fps with high settings at native 4k and RT on is impossible. Have to use FSR2.0 quality, and tbh, im not sure if im losing graphics quality. I can tell the image is slightly softer but its not a huge difference so i might stick with it.

It sucks that the game doesn’t recognize my custom 3200x1800 resolution on my lg cx. Honestly, I’ve never been able to get games to work on it. They can detect it but the screen goes to blank the moment it switches to 1800p. My TV definitely supports it in windows but in games i have no luck.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Changing the framerate in that file didnt help much and caused more stutters and graphics pop up. I also started getting weird artifacts in the SSR reflections. really weird stuff.

changing it back to 0 then limiting it from the nvidia control panel fixed all that.

I definitely see the graphics upgrade in RT. I dont think its all reflections. The problem is 40 fps with high settings at native 4k and RT on is impossible. Have to use FSR2.0 quality, and tbh, im not sure if im losing graphics quality. I can tell the image is slightly softer but its not a huge difference so i might stick with it.

It sucks that the game doesn’t recognize my custom 3200x1800 resolution on my lg cx. Honestly, I’ve never been able to get games to work on it. They can detect it but the screen goes to blank the moment it switches to 1800p. My TV definitely supports it in windows but in games i have no luck.
it turned out to be reflections;

this explanation convinced me :/ hogwarts legacy had this too.

SlimySnake

Nvidia's driver overhead, rearing it's ugly head again. Even Alex noticed this in his review.

What’s curious is that YouTube was recommending me a 2 year old hardware unboxed video of Nvidias driver overhead ever since reports of the bad PC port came out. I guess people immediately realized it was the driver overhead and started searching for that old vid.

I was about to make a thread on it. It could also be the dx12 overhead. I honestly don’t remember dx11 ue4 games having this much problems. I played Jedi fallen order like two weeks after launch on my 2080 at 4k 60 fps with no issues. Though i guess that was the second most powerful gpu out at the time.

winjer

Gold Member
What’s curious is that YouTube was recommending me a 2 year old hardware unboxed video of Nvidias driver overhead ever since reports of the bad PC port came out. I guess people immediately realized it was the driver overhead and started searching for that old vid.

I was about to make a thread on it. It could also be the dx12 overhead. I honestly don’t remember dx11 ue4 games having this much problems. I played Jedi fallen order like two weeks after launch on my 2080 at 4k 60 fps with no issues. Though i guess that was the second most powerful gpu out at the time.

DX12 has lower overhead and much better multithreading capabilities.

The issue with NVidia's drivers is that their GPU's have a simpler front-end. So the driver has to do more work setting up work for the GPU. And this hits the CPU.
This has been talked about ever since Kepler, as NVidia ditched the big hot frontend of Fermi, for something much simpler.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Never use the in-game limiter, always use the Nvidia control panel.

simpatico

Gold Member
Not necessarily. A developer can say they should/need to delay, but the publisher is typically what flags it, and they can deny a delay. It's happened plenty of times before. I'd blame EA's publishing team before blaming Respawn as a developer. But every development cycle is different, who knows what happened here. It's not always so black and white.
If I had to attach my first and last name to a product I produced, and my company didn't allow me enough time to properly make it, I'd leave the company. Pretty simple. Reputation is everything.

SLESS

Runs ok on my 4080 so far…. But for some fucked reason I cannot select 4K resolution in the options for my C1…. Anyone seen this issue?

MiguelItUp

If I had to attach my first and last name to a product I produced, and my company didn't allow me enough time to properly make it, I'd leave the company. Pretty simple. Reputation is everything.
I respect that. But a lot of people aren't that way, I'd say majority aren't. It's a very, VERY common occurrence (much like crunch), unfortunately, but as a result no one looks down on such a thing in the industry. There are a LOT of cogs working in a studio to bring a project to completion, so folks attached to certain projects aren't automatically looked down on. Even if they're attached to projects that failed.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Heres some hope for lovelace owners.
Pretty lame that the devs couldnt include FG when a modder can somewhat (although very imperfectly) manage it in such a short time, it makes a hell of a difference in this game.

Hardware manufacturer sponsorships have no place on pc (if thats actually the reason behind it).

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
I respect that. But a lot of people aren't that way, I'd say majority aren't. It's a very, VERY common occurrence (much like crunch), unfortunately, but as a result no one looks down on such a thing in the industry. There are a LOT of cogs working in a studio to bring a project to completion, so folks attached to certain projects aren't automatically looked down on. Even if they're attached to projects that failed.
In that case they have to live with their reputation. This is the result of their choices. If you find a guy's name in the credits for this game, and others like it, I think conclusions can be drawn.

Mister Wolf

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
GPU: RTX 4090
RAM: 64 GB DDR4 3600Mhz

The game has drops below 60 with raytracing turned off in the opening city at 4K. Terrible performance. It goes on the shelf until performance is resolved. I'm sure there is a great game underneath all this mess.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
What's wrong with his hair? And the game looks so blurry.

goku-ssj.gif

yamaci17

anything below 4k is pos in this game

(4k fsr performance produces much sharper, cleaner image quality compared to 1440p. but u get motion artifacting)

4k upscaled is a must for the game. game is not tested with 1440p upscaled, not at all.

StereoVsn

Maybe I should have said primary target? I mean the stuff I'm working on right now (not gaming I'm more of an infrastructure guy) compiles for Apple silicon but we have no idea how it performs because our primary target is Linux. But it does compile and pass the test suite so it would probably work. Just not well.
If you sell that software for Apple though and it doesn't run well, it's on you. Because you are charging your customers but not providing a good product (example, no idea if you sell your software on Apple).

That's the thing. If a developer/publisher is selling Jedi Survivor on PC and it runs like shit, it's not customer's fault that they bought it day 1 (which they really shouldn't be doing to be fair). It's the fault of the publisher (most likely). Game should have been delayed.

At same time I don't like the term "lazy devs". 95% of the time it's inaccurate. Publishers make the decisions on release dates. This one is on EA more then Respawn. There can be technical challenges a particular dev is not equipped to handle, but that's a publisher's issue to handle.

bbeach123

The game had a few "weird bug" last I check .

If you turn on dsr then turn it off again the game only render at 50% native res . Resolution scaling bar do nothing .

Low settings only render the game as 50% native res , medium at 66,5% and so on , epic at 100% , you if you want 100% native res and high/med settings , set the game to epic then turn others option down .

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Low settings only render the game as 50% native res , medium at 66,5% and so on , epic at 100% , you if you want 100% native res and high/med settings , set the game to epic then turn others option down .
wtf?

So if I have FSR off and I have my settings at high running at 1440p does that mean the game is running below 1440p?

bbeach123

wtf?

So if I have FSR off and I have my settings at high running at 1440p does that mean the game is running below 1440p?
Set to epic to make sure I guess , I already refunded so no idea if they patch it or not .

But yea anything below epic is lower than your native res . IF you ever turn on FSR 2.0 , then the game bug out and render at 50% native res if you turn FSR off . Set to epic settings again to get back to 100% native res .

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Can someone make sense of this?

This guy says game looks blurrier at native 4k than FSR though FSR adds shimmering in motion.

MxBenchmarkPC

1 hour ago
These kind of image quality comparisons are usually designed to be watched on PC or TV screens at 4K Youtube quality. The in-game TAA solution has a very blurry overall image at 4K, and very poor rendering of small objects detail—thin steel objects and power lines, tree leaves, and vegetation in general. Most of these issues with the in-game TAA solution were resolved with FSR 2.2 enabled due to better quality of the built-in anti-aliasing solution and sharpening filters in the FSR 2.2 render path, but FSR 2.2 also has some ghosting and shimmering issues.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised if this is (again) Denuvo related...

Probably out in the high seas in a few days/weeks so we'll know for sure then

yamaci17

Can someone make sense of this?

This guy says game looks blurrier at native 4k than FSR though FSR adds shimmering in motion.

TAA in this game is historically bad. like, worst most likely. I'm not kidding. and I've seen some bad contenders. this games rdr2 1080p taa look like super duper 8k definition.

not joking. i once gave a try at 1080p and game literally looks like a fusion of a x360 and xbox sx game

fsr/dlss has their own taa parameters so sometimes they can be crisper/sharper

SlimySnake

TAA in this game is historically bad. like, worst most likely. I'm not kidding. and I've seen some bad contenders. this games rdr2 1080p taa look like super duper 8k definition.

not joking. i once gave a try at 1080p and game literally looks like a fusion of a x360 and xbox sx game

fsr/dlss has their own taa parameters so sometimes they can be crisper/sharper
Well, unfortunately i cant hit native 4k 40 fps at epic settings even with RT off. hovers around 35 fps. So close but so far. I will have to rely on FSR quality. Hoping it doesnt degrade the IQ too much. This whole epic=100% res scaling is really fucking with my head. I wonder what its doing with FSR Quality.

I might be able to turn RT on at high setting with FSR quality enabled but I dont want it to start scaling FSR at 1080p or something because it sees settings set to high.

Does the game ship with FSR2.2 dll?

Last edited:

Bojji

Heres some hope for lovelace owners.
Pretty lame that the devs couldnt include FG when a modder can somewhat (although very imperfectly) manage it in such a short time, it makes a hell of a difference in this game.

Hardware manufacturer sponsorships have no place on pc (if thats actually the reason behind it).

This shit could fix performance in this game. I'm waiting for more development with my 4070.

yamaci17

Well, unfortunately i cant hit native 4k 40 fps at epic settings even with RT off. hovers around 35 fps. So close but so far. I will have to rely on FSR quality. Hoping it doesnt degrade the IQ too much. This whole epic=100% res scaling is really fucking with my head. I wonder what its doing with FSR Quality.

I might be able to turn RT on at high setting with FSR quality enabled but I dont want it to start scaling FSR at 1080p or something because it sees settings set to high.

Does the game ship with FSR2.2 dll?
FSR overrides any kind of resolution scaling, I'm sure of it. To be fair, my problem FSR is ghosting here and there and fizzling in hair + disocclusion artifacts. This is the first time I actually bite the bullet and gave FSR a chance but nah, it is jank...

Clarity and sharpness is there, but I kind of think AMD purposefully uses relax TAA parameters to allow artifacts and ghosting so that their upscaler can produce "clear" image out of a lower resolution input. There's reason TAA can be so blurry. Cause is usually the aggresive parameters to prevent ghosting and occlusion artifacts.

Modern graphics pipelines are in a horrible state. They're literally held together by duct and tape (TAA). I couldn't find FSR 2 dll file by the way. I'm still hopeful for a FSR2DLSS mod...

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

In that case they have to live with their reputation. This is the result of their choices. If you find a guy's name in the credits for this game, and others like it, I think conclusions can be drawn.
And they'll be fine, because it won't affect their reputation, that's not how that typically works in this industry. Lord knows I've worked with plenty of people that were attached to projects that "failed", never saw the light of day, companies that folded, etc. It's never the fault of a single person when issues happen, or a few. It's generally a much larger issue that revolves around the company, the communications, how things are handled, etc. But it also depends on the role, the individual's full background and experience, etc. A good interviewee can see through nonsense.

If a candidate has a path of continuous flawed projects, then yeah, it may show some flags. But asking the right questions and getting the right answers will typically show if that person is a reason, core problem, etc. But folks that worked on Jedi Survivor are not going to have issues in their career because of in-game performance, I assure you.

My name is attached to games that have varying outcomes. Some very successful, some minorly successful, some not at all, some with performance issues, etc. But I'm by no means in a bad position.

SlimySnake

FSR overrides any kind of resolution scaling, I'm sure of it. To be fair, my problem FSR is ghosting here and there and fizzling in hair + disocclusion artifacts. This is the first time I actually bite the bullet and gave FSR a chance but nah, it is jank...

Clarity and sharpness is there, but I kind of think AMD purposefully uses relax TAA parameters to allow artifacts and ghosting so that their upscaler can produce "clear" image out of a lower resolution input. There's reason TAA can be so blurry. Cause is usually the aggresive parameters to prevent ghosting and occlusion artifacts.

Modern graphics pipelines are in a horrible state. They're literally held together by duct and tape (TAA). I couldn't find FSR 2 dll file by the way. I'm still hopeful for a FSR2DLSS mod...
oh i thought you were using FSR this whole time. I honestly cant tell the difference between native 4k and fsr quality so i will stick to it and turn on RT and epic settings. 40 fps seems to be stable.

yamaci17

oh i thought you were using FSR this whole time. I honestly cant tell the difference between native 4k and fsr quality so i will stick to it and turn on RT and epic settings. 40 fps seems to be stable.
No, no, I'm using FSR too, I have to. (4K fsr balanced). My problem, VRAM goes jank at native 4K, so I also kind of have to. And 1440p/TAA/FSR simply looks so bad to a point I had to make peace with FSR artifacting. For me to get stable framerate at 4K/FSR balanced+ray tracing, 30 FPS is a must. :/

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
And they'll be fine, because it won't affect their reputation, that's not how that typically works in this industry. Lord knows I've worked with plenty of people that were attached to projects that "failed", never saw the light of day, companies that folded, etc. It's never the fault of a single person when issues happen, or a few. It's generally a much larger issue that revolves around the company, the communications, how things are handled, etc. But it also depends on the role, the individual's full background and experience, etc. A good interviewee can see through nonsense.

If a candidate has a path of continuous flawed projects, then yeah, it may show some flags. But asking the right questions and getting the right answers will typically show if that person is a reason, core problem, etc. But folks that worked on Jedi Survivor are not going to have issues in their career because of in-game performance, I assure you.

My name is attached to games that have varying outcomes. Some very successful, some minorly successful, some not at all, some with performance issues, etc. But I'm by no means in a bad position.
I'm not in the gaming industry. I do electrical design. If someone had a reputation for being a part of troubled projects, they would have a hard time finding work if the people hiring were in the know. In gaming, I could understand lower level people not being affected by such things, but what about the management decision makers? Curious.

MiguelItUp

I'm not in the gaming industry. I do electrical design. If someone had a reputation for being a part of troubled projects, they would have a hard time finding work if the people hiring were in the know. In gaming, I could understand lower level people not being affected by such things, but what about the management decision makers? Curious.
Management could essentially. But there's just too many cogs for it to be a singular person, you know? It could be the fault of a collection of producers, project managers, QA leads/managers, etc. Maybe the board, maybe the partners, maybe the heads of the studio. Or it could just be because of poor communication between everyone. There are many, many potential faults, maybe a little bit of everything. But, no singular person is targeted unless they're absolutely known to have done some particular nasty things in office. I've heard too many stories about people with poor performance getting away with it for a long, long time. It just all depends on the studio.

I think with Survivor, Respawn was pressured into making the release in April work because it's what EA wanted. Be it competition, money, etc. So, Respawn had to abide for obvious reasons, and all they can do is work harder and promise to deliver patches that are needed in a timely manner. It really sucks. But that kind of thing isn't too uncommon.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Why do techtubers can’t resist making broad claims based on shit ports? Dev literally said « weeks of patches » coming, but sure, let’s go into Nvidia driver overhead speculation 🤡

Top Bottom