• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The latest Media Create hardware numbers!

Vieo

Where is it? I don't see anything! I MUST KNOW. ARGGGH IT BURNZ!!!!

Edit: Ok. I feel better. Are these U.S. numbers?

2nd Edit: Nevermind. I see 100 xbox...

Mrbob

Wow.

That is a lot of portable systems sold.

Consoles am cry.

*Cue PSP is doomed in Japan!* posts

Gamecube is going to reach Xbox levels soon. What is going on?

littlewig

Banned
GBM 170,306
DS 72,167
PSP 70,152

Close, but still outsold. Impressive sales for the handheld market. Seems like Japan is become a portable land, makes me wondering if interest in console gaming is actually dying, or if it is just due to the fact the generation is almost over.

Just goes to show that one game does not a library make. And with most of the big Japanese games being ports of SNES / PS2 games, I'm not so sure they'll do so hot.

Still, great handheld numbers all around. What's got to be extremely disturbing to Sony are the PS2 numbers. From a hardware sales standpoint, they should launch the PS3 there first because PS2 sales in US & Europe are still spectacular.

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
Just goes to show that one game does not a library make. And with most of the big Japanese games being ports of SNES / PS2 games, I'm not so sure they'll do so hot.

Still, great handheld numbers all around. What's got to be extremely disturbing to Sony are the PS2 numbers. From a hardware sales standpoint, they should launch the PS3 there first because PS2 sales in US & Europe are still spectacular.

I wonder if PSP is starting to eat into PS2 sales.

For the sake of argument, let's just combine the Mirco and DS sales.

GBM/DS 242,473
PSP 70,152

What's the point, really? There really is no argument when it comes to GBA Micro sales.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
GBA micro won't be a permanent solution to outing Sony.

Sony is going to get a large chunk of the handheld market. Considering Nintendo had 99%, that's not incredible news for Nintendo.

Oxymoron

And, for fun, numbers by company.

Nintendo: 256,126 (2416 times more than Microsoft, 2.7x more than Sony)
Sony: 94,548 (867 times more than Microsoft)
Microsoft: 109 (lol)

Mrbob

It's ok. When Europe and North America data is out, we'll just add PSP plus PS2 numbers together for each month. ;)

Calidor

teh_pwn said:
GBA micro won't be a permanent solution to outing Sony.

Sony is going to get a large chunk of the handheld market. Considering Nintendo had 99%, that's not incredible news for Nintendo.
with those PSP+FF:AC+WE numbers, now i believe that PSP isn't anything more than another GameGear

jman2050

PSP numbers are great. It seems the white psp+WE combo paid off... of course compared to the DS, which came with the unexpected Tamagotchi jump, they're still short. I would not be surprised if the PSP outsold the DS next week though, unless Brain Training starts killing again (and from the looks of yesterday's daily sales, which weren't posted here, that's happening already. Brain Training is now ahead of both Tamagotchi and WE9) :p

Oxymoron said:
And, for fun, numbers by company.

Nintendo: 256,126 (2416 times more than Microsoft, 2.7x more than Sony)
Sony: 94,548 (867 times more than Microsoft)
Microsoft: 109 (lol)

How about comparing them by $? (or yen actually) :D

Tamagotchi + DS > White PSP + Winning Eleven + Final Fantasy: AC

Those GB Micro sales are pretty sick too.

I'm pretty sure the tie ratio for the DS is getting higher. Somebody's buying Brain Training.

Oxymoron

sonycowboy said:
How about comparing them by $? (or yen actually) :D

Nintendo 3,267,531,360 (1.43 times more than Sony, 1699.4 times more than MS)
Sony 2,290,257,684 (1191.13 times more than MS)
Microsoft 1,922,760

Deku said:
Well wasn't PSP suppose to outsell DS this week?

I thought for sure the PSP would outsell the DS by a good 20k or so this week.

Tamagotchi on the DS ... WTF. Bandai must happy as hell. Sony denied.

GB Micro should've eaten into DS sales, really there's no reason for DS sales to have gone that high. PSP and GB Micro would've been understandable.

Culex

Banned
All that, and PSP still couldn't outsell the DS. Jesus, I'll laugh if it doesn't next week, too, as there's nothing worth noting on the DS for releases.

Cheerilee

Next we need to know what the royalty rates are on those 1.5 games-per-system, and how much money Sony's losing on the PSP hardware. :D

Izzy

Banned
polg said:
What Happened with FF...

did ppl buy the DVD instead of the UMD?

Advent Pieces sell through rate = 86.80%
First Press regular edition sell through rate = 95.75%
Regular edition sell through rate = 88.98%
UMD sell through rate = 88.65%

heidern

Wow, what an amazing week. There was 350K hardware sold in this one week which is really closer to what you'd expect around Christmas time. To get an idea just how amazing it is, consider this; This week last year Pokemon Emerald was released and sold 790K. This pushed GBA sales up to 68K. Now we have 3 handheld platforms each beating that figure. Also interesting was that in spite of the GBM release GBA SP sales went up, so it looks like the GBM may not totally cannibalise the GBA.

The two big stories for the week apart from the GBM are Tamagotchi and the psp. Tamagotchi has single handedly smashed the theory that the DS isn't good for 3rd parties. Chances are it will be bigger than any 3rd party psp game this year, and may even end up outselling Dynasty Warriors psp which was launched last year.

The other main story is the psp. Lets go back in time to March this year. The DS hit a low of 22K for a week(and the psp hounds were gleefully declaring it a dying system), the userbase stood at 1,925,141. The following week(March 21-27) saw the release of Kirby(75K) and two new colours. This saw DS sales shoot up to 55,825. Over the next 3 weeks DS sales declined again before Nintendogs hit and the DS went through the roof.

So look at the psp, last week it was at 22K with a userbase of 1,697,471 a fair bit behind where the DS was in March. However the one week comparison with WE9(107K), FF:AC and the new colour have shot weeky sales up to 70K which is actually better(increase of 320% compared to 250% for the DS in March). What this show is that there is definitely life in the psp. However there is still difficulty. The white version sold 48K and the black went up to 24K. This suggests the new colour had a significant effect and so declines over the next couple of weeks could be swift. However with 4 games coming this week and 5 the week after there is still a fighting chance. The big problem is that Winning Eleven is the biggest psp release all year. So this week and the next couple, this is it. If it can't keep making inroads then it'll have to be a push next year which may(should) be too late.

What's the rest of the year look like for the PSP in Japan anyway?

Is Gran Turismo even coming out this year at all? Seems like it dropped off the face of the Earth.

What are there other big releases for the year? Anything from Square-Enix?

No way can Winning Eleven be their biggest game of the game.

The DS sales are more impressive because the GB Micro should have eaten into DS sales on top of the PSP beating it. If GB Micro had not come out, DS probably would've sold 80k or more.

monkeyrun

heidern said:
So look at the psp, last week it was at 22K with a userbase of 1,697,471 a fair bit behind where the DS was in March. However the one week comparison with WE9(107K), FF:AC and the new colour have shot weeky sales up to 70K which is actually better(increase of 320% compared to 250% for the DS in March). What this show is that there is definitely life in the psp. However there is still difficulty. The white version sold 48K and the black went up to 24K. This suggests the new colour had a significant effect and so declines over the next couple of weeks could be swift. However with 4 games coming this week and 5 the week after there is still a fighting chance. The big problem is that Winning Eleven is the biggest psp release all year. So this week and the next couple, this is it. If it can't keep making inroads then it'll have to be a push next year which may(should) be too late.
do you understand this ?

it's like Zelda came out for GC and still got outsold by PS2 because PS2's 100 billionth generic RPG game came out.

Culex

Banned
soundwave05 said:
What's the rest of the year look like for the PSP in Japan anyway?

Is Gran Turismo even coming out this year at all? Seems like it dropped off the face of the Earth.

What are there other big releases for the year? Anything from Square-Enix?

No way can Winning Eleven be their biggest game of the game.

The DS sales are more impressive because the GB Micro should have eaten into DS sales on top of the PSP beating it. If GB Micro had not come out, DS probably would've sold 80k or more.

For this year, barring any surprises, WE9 was THE big PSP game. Even so, it still couldn't help the PSP outsell the DS.

heidern

Yep, it is. There are currently 6 platinum playstation franchises in Japan. The first being Dragon Quest, which is not scheduled or even rumoured for psp(DQ Monsters hits DS in December though). Out of the remaining 5 theres FF which is next year and there are no other Square Enix games this year. Gran Turismo is up in the air what with there being no sight of it. I suppose there is a chance of GT this year which would be bigger than WE but I think it is likely next year what with Polyphony also busy with their ps2 biking game. That leaves Hot Shots Golf, Dynasty Warriors and Winning Eleven all three which are already out.

As for big psp games, here's what I'd extract as potentially significant releases. Note that I'm being very forgiving with a lot of these.
PSP Gundam Battle Tactics 2005-09-22 5040 yen Bandai
PSP Densha de Go! Pocket Yamanote Line ver. 2005-09-29 3990 yen Taito
PSP Fuku Fuku no Shima 2005-10-20 5040 yen SCE
PSP Nouryoku Trainer Portable 2005-10-20 2940 yen Sega
PSP Bounty Hounds 2005-10-27 5040 yen Namco
PSP Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor Comeback: Mini Pato 2005-11-02 ~ Banda
PSP Talkman 2005-11-17 6090 yen SCE
PSP Super Robot Wars MX 2005-Q4 ~ Banpresto

Out of all those, Gundam next week may do well, Robot Wars will be big(although no exact release date yet). Talkman has potential but note it is actually premium priced(6090 yen compared to 2800 for Brain Training). As for the others, I'd say moderate success of maybe 50-60K at best is likely, although Bounty Hounds seems like a game with a decent budget. Oh and MGAcid 2 may be this year too I suppose.

Jonnyram

Izzy said:
DS 72,167
PSP 70,152
PSP got a white edition, Winning Eleven 9 and Ghost in the Shell.
DS got Tamagotchi and Phoenix Wright.

Sony must be crying when they can't beat the DS on a week like this.

Flo_Evans

eek!

wow

ya know though it's not that the PSP is doing particularly bad in japan, its just so suprising to me that the DS is doing so good.

I mean I think sony nailed the PSP. The DS is rather dissapointing in comparison.

Aparantly I am not a typical japanese gamer :)

Juice

I know this is entirely anecdotal, but there was some kind of strange delay at Kyoto station last night, where none of the trains on my line came within 90 minutes of when they were supposed to. My 11:29 train ended up leaving just after 1am. It was ridiculous.

During that time, I walked around and saw 8 Famicom GBM's being played, about 80 people typing it up on their cell phones, and not a single DS/PSP in sight. I didn't think to bring a bag of my gear, so all I had was Solitaire on my iPod Nano.

I was floored, though. 8 Famicom GBM's a week after it comes out... that's just ridiculous. They were all twenty/thirty something men, too.

Top Bottom