• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The latest Media Create hardware numbers!

Deku

Banned
Juice said:
I know this is entirely anecdotal, but there was some kind of strange delay at Kyoto station last night, where none of the trains on my line came within 90 minutes of when they were supposed to. My 11:29 train ended up leaving just after 1am. It was ridiculous.

During that time, I walked around and saw 8 Famicom GBM's being played, about 80 people typing it up on their cell phones, and not a single DS/PSP in sight. I didn't think to bring a bag of my gear, so all I had was Solitaire on my iPod Nano.

I was floored, though. 8 Famicom GBM's a week after it comes out... that's just ridiculous. They were all twenty/thirty something men, too.

Novelty factor. No matter the bitching, I really love my micro. I doesn't feel cheap like all previous Nintendo, Sega, other branded handhelds. The metallic feel makes it feel like a really good piece of hardware and I'd say it really is a nice piece of hardware.

Throw in play-yan and it's the most portable video game, mp3, video player.

Zeo

Banned
I think PSP will sell more than DS next week for the first time in forever. MAYBE two weeks. Then DS will be back on top.

cvxfreak

The next big period for the DS will be on October 20, which sees the release of Akachan, Pokemon Torouze, Super Princess Peach and and Tendo Dokuta 2.

Doogdogg

CVXFREAK said:

Thanks.

Well damn. *Shudder* just think when Pokemon Dianmond & Pearl are unleash. :lol

I think GBA did like 350K when Ru/Sh came out for two or three weeks straight. :O

man, i was sure the PSP would outsell the DS this week!

joeschmo.png

Jonnyram

Juice said:
I was floored, though. 8 Famicom GBM's a week after it comes out... that's just ridiculous. They were all twenty/thirty something men, too.
All Nintendo employees? Was this station next to Nintendo HQ by any chance? ;)

cvxfreak

Dark Dragon said:
Thanks.

Well damn. *Shudder* just think when Pokemon Dianmond & Pearl are unleash. :lol

I think GBA did like 350K when Ru/Sh came out for two or three weeks straight. :O

Here are the weeks from Pokemon launch to four weeks after, contributed from the holidays as well.

1. GameBoy Advance - 150,800 (2,313,400)
1. GameBoy Advance - 145,900 (2,459,300)
1. GameBoy Advance - 120,400 (2,579,700)
1. GameBoy Advance - 241,600 (2,821,400)

Deku

Banned
I'm not convinced pokemon will be as big on the dS.

It will be a major release and the DS will see a boost but I'm not convinced it will be the ultimate kill-app for the DS. But the very fact that the current DS demographic probably aren't your pokemon target audience may also prove me wrong by tapping into that market and force them to get a DS.

I'm just skeptical about its power to draw in that many users though.

cvxfreak

Deku said:

It will be a major release and the DS will see a boost but I'm not convinced it will be the ultimate kill-app for the DS. But the very fact that the current DS demographic probably aren't your pokemon target audience may also prove me wrong by tapping into that market and force them to get a DS.

At worst it'll just be the natural drop every franchise gets at one point or another. Nintendo's aim to mass-attract new users with the DS is coming to a conclusion (in my personal view) evidenced by the abrupt lineup change (from nintendogs and Brain Training to Mario Kart and Animal Crossing). You can even argue that Jump Superstars was the beginning of Nintendo's aim to start attracting more traditional fanbases once again.

That said, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl will be the best selling DS games ever, both collectively and singularly. Ruby and Sapphire still appear in the top 100 monthly chart not publically available (and I cannot make them available either, sorry, so please do not ask) and Diamond and Pearl will more than likely be in the charts in 2008.

I do agree with you though that Pokemon will not be the ultimate killer ap for the DS. I think that spot is reserved for either nintendogs or the Brain Training games - we're bound to see more volumes at some point\.

_PsiFire_

sonycowboy said:
How about comparing them by $? (or yen actually) :D
When you compare by $ (or yen actually) will you be comparing profit AFTER expense??

Sony sells the PSP at a loss.. So Nintendo still has them beat out. Even moreso when you think that they have them beat out before expenses are accounted for.. :D

Zeo

Banned
Deku said:

Don't be. Pokemon sell insanely good in America and Japan and it won't stop on DS.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sp0rsk said:
close but no cigar psp fans :/
The sales victory is yours, psp non-fans. I for one will pledge to try and live in ignoble defeat without seeming to enjoy the likes of Extreme Ghouls and Ghosts, Loco Roco or Exit too much. Not sure if I can manage to whine as loudly and bitterly as some GC fans have whenever a game passes their platform of choice by, but I'll do my best if that's what the psp non-fans want.

Seriously, 70K for one week of sales and you want me to care about not outselling the DS? Since mid-May, the PSP has sold less then 25K a week, not once outselling the DS. And yet, that kind of sales performance still manages to secure the kind of game announcements we saw at or around TGS for the PSP. I'll take it.

Juice

Jonnyram said:
All Nintendo employees? Was this station next to Nintendo HQ by any chance? ;)

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind that they were Nintendo employees, but I really don't think that the Nintendo HQ is all that near Kyoto Eki itself. I've heard it's a bit more in the boons from the main city.

kaching said:
The sales victory is yours, psp non-fans. I for one will pledge to try and live in ignoble defeat without seeming to enjoy the likes of Extreme Ghouls and Ghosts, Loco Roco or Exit too much. Not sure if I can manage to whine as loudly and bitterly as some GC fans have whenever a game passes their platform of choice by, but I'll do my best if that's what the psp non-fans want.

Seriously, 70K for one week of sales and you want me to care about not outselling the DS? Since mid-May, the PSP has sold less then 25K a week, not once outselling the DS. And yet, that kind of sales performance still manages to secure the kind of game announcements we saw at or around TGS for the PSP. I'll take it.

The real story here is that the GBM, PSP, and the DS can all sell like shitcakes at a Cleveland Steamer Fetish convention. Fuck, that's a third of a million handheld gaming systems in such a short period of time that it simultaneously proves Nintendo's "Third Pillar" mantra to be absolutely correct. It also ensures the PSP isn't going anywhere as a viable platform either (and I tend to think that the PSP will leave a slightly larger wake behind it than the Game Gear did). This is great news for all gamers, but particularly those with any interest in the Japanese gaming industry.

Hopefully people start buying consoles again when the new ones come out.

Oogami

Banned
kaching said:
Not sure if I can manage to whine as loudly and bitterly as some GC fans have whenever a game passes their platform of choice by, but I'll do my best if that's what the psp non-fans want.

And who's exactly are those imaginary GC fans you're talking about? All I see is a bitter PSP fan whining here.

Razoric

Banned
Oogami said:
And who's exactly are those imaginary GC fans you're talking about? All I see is a bitter PSP fan whining here.

Bitter because his system of choice just sold 70k (in one week) in a region it's supposedly 'dead' in? Bitter because PSP is raping DS in both America and Europe and with the release of GTA the gaping hole will be widened even further?

Yeah it's a tough time being a PSP fan. :D

Oogami

Banned
All of a sudden attacking fans who have nothing to do with all the DS/PSP shit and this thread sounds bitter to me.

Bitter why? Maybe because of the week with all the white psp, winning eleven, ff7: ac and yet still can't beat DS? Who knows.

Razoric said:
Bitter because his system of choice just sold 70k (in one week) in a region it's supposedly 'dead' in? Bitter because PSP is raping DS in both America and Europe and with the release of GTA the gaping hole will be widened even further?

Yeah it's a tough time being a PSP fan. :D

Tough time to be a DS fan, too, since it's still ahead worldwide, and more importantly, has a better current and future software lineup. And it, too, still has it's best-selling franchise on the way.

Those of us who own both are really in agony. :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Juice - yep, it's an amazing week for handhelds out your way.

Oogami - You could find the GC fans I speak of (and note I said *some*, not all) in this thread for starters. And you'll have to point out what exactly I'm whining about.

Razoric - Please don't help.

Oogami

Banned
kaching said:
Oogami - You could find the GC fans I speak of (and note I said *some*, not all) in this thread for starters. And you'll have to point out what exactly I'm whining about.

In that thread people are providing reasons why no Criterion support, some people then gave out legit reasons like lack of sales and lack of online support. So where exactly were those loudmouth bitter GC fans you're speaking of?

Quote and post number from that thread please. I'm not reading every post in that thread, especially seeing some shit reasons from Sony fan like:

The Nintendo audience consist of little kids and jaded fatasses, the former of which play whatever their parents buy them -- usually family-friendly Nintendo fare -- and the latter who don't buy games to play them but to make a smug ideological statement of preference on messageboards.

The GC is underpowered and couldn't handle a game as visually complicated as Burnout 3+.

And also you want to attack GC fans because? They've nothing to do with this thread. One of the reasons to attack innocent people can be caused by bitterness. Or maybe you've other reasons to tell us?

And if you want to attack people out of the blue, people can attack Sony fans out of the blue too, that they're trolls and ignorant. You want everyone to do that? Hey at least they've the quotes above to prove it, thanks to a thread you provided. I found that quote in your thread in just a minute btw.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Every fanbase has its overzealous nutters, Oogami. I didn't inappropriately generalize the entire GC fanbase so where's the attack for those where the shoe fits?

Quote and post number from that thread please. I'm not reading every post in that thread, especially seeing some shit reasons from Sony fan like:
Heh, well if you got as far as Drinky's post in that thread then you should have gotten far enough to see woebedraggled's comments.

AniHawk

GBM 170,306
DS 72,167
PSP 70,152
PS2 24,396
GBASP 11,147
GC 1,882
GBA 624
Xbox 109

Wow. PSP sales were only 8k off from my prediction.

A NEW RECORD!

Oogami

Banned
kaching said:
Every fanbase has its overzealous nutters, Oogami. I didn't inappropriately generalize the entire GC fanbase so where's the attack for those where the shoe fits?

Still haven't answered the reason to attack GC fans out of the blue, who have nothing to do with this thread.

Is it because of the DS is still winning so you've to find a way to attack Nintendo fans? So then you took a cheap shot at GC fans even though they've nothing to do with anything? That's bitterness.

kaching said:
Heh, well if you got as far as Drinky's post in that thread then you should have gotten far enough to see woebedraggled's comments.

This comment?

GC burnout sold more than xbox burnout, by a fair share if i remember the numbers correctly.

The online thing is a weaksause excuse, because the single player game is fine on it's own.

Comes down to lazy developers and the gc being the scapegoat for jackoffs this generation.

Umm all he did was providing reasons of why the non-support. Lack of online support is the reason/excuse from the developer. He's true about the single player is fine on its own. Are you saying it's not?

So I don't know where you came up with all the accusations. Maybe you can provide exact quotes of GC "fans" being loud and bitter that you speak of?

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
Don't they toss them in among the ugly stuffed toys in crane games now? :lol

There has to be someone out there who wants a GBA form factor that isn't too small like the micro.

It's also possible they're getting extremely good deals, like for 1980 Yen or something.

teh_pwn said:
GBA micro won't be a permanent solution to outing Sony.

Sony is going to get a large chunk of the handheld market. Considering Nintendo had 99%, that's not incredible news for Nintendo.

A man can dream....a man can dream. Keep it alive sir

Elios83

Gotta love how a few people try to downplay a 350% increase in PSP sales as disappointing or as a bomba because the DS is 2k units above (from the 20k+ of the previous weeks) :lol :lol
Anyway now it's important for Sony to keep this kind of sales.

Taker666

soundwave05 said:
What's coming out for PSP next week?

A PSP exclusive Gundam game, Formula One and Princess Crown.
DS is pretty much quiet until mid-October.

This next couple of weeks are the PSP's best chance at turning it around.

CVXFREAK said:
It's also possible they're getting extremely good deals, like for 1980 Yen or something.
Yeah, joking aside, the extreme affordability is really the thing. The last time I noticed an original model GBA here in the us it was something like $30 new? Easy to understand why there are still a few hundred sold each week.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Elios83 said:
Gotta love how a few people try to downplay a 350% increase in PSP sales as disappointing or as a bomba because the DS is 2k units above (from the 20k+ of the previous weeks) :lol :lol
Anyway now it's important for Sony to keep this kind of sales.
They're downplaying it because the entire increase over last week was the 48K white PSP's sold. We'll have to wait for the next chart to say any more.

Vince said:
Xbox: 109
WTF? Who are these people?
If it makes you feel any better.......that's the lowest weekly total for the Xbox this year. :)

Kseutron

where the hell are all those "SELL UR DS ITS ALL OVER" posts/links/gifs that we used to see everywhere last december when the PSP got released in Japan when one needs them ?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Who cares who wins. They both are viable platforms and as an owner of both, success of both will lead to more games. And as a gamer that makes me happy.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
People need to stop buying GB Micros and DSes so that Nintendo will get on with putting out a proper Gameboy 2 - I thought it would have been announced by now. :mad:

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
starting to get the feeling that nintendo is a little mad at sony for fucking with their handheld cash cow :lol

Culex

Banned
catfish said:
starting to get the feeling that nintendo is a little mad at sony for fucking with their handheld cash cow :lol

Not really.

I garuntee that next quarter, Nintendo will turn another record profit.

Mihail

Banned
littlewig said:
Seems like Japan is become a portable land, makes me wondering if interest in console gaming is actually dying, or if it is just due to the fact the generation is almost over.
krypt0nian said:
Time for next gen!
Rhindle said:
I would just like to say that next gen console hardware is way overdue.
I've said it before. I wish logic courses would be a prerequisite for posting at GAF.

You see slow hardware sales so your solution is to release newer hardware? Slow hardware sales shows that no one else is getting interested. The new generation will invigorate home console sales, of course, but only within the community that already owns this generation's hardware. Then the pattern will repeat itself again. That's not healthy -- it's just artificially bloating the industry. A very small percentage of Japanese people who don't currently own a PS2 is going to look at the PS3 and say "Hey, now's the time for me to jump in," especially if the console can't be afforded by a household (joke). If you keep selling updated hardware to the same people without expanding your market, you're going to tire them out.

Maybe the Rvltn will change this, but we'll see.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Oogami - that you can actually quote woe's post in its entirety and still overlook the part where he calls devs "lazy" and "jackoffs" for not supporting the GC is an amazing display of denial on your part. It's no wonder you think I'm attacking people with that much willful ignorance on display.

Mihail said:
I've said it before. I wish logic courses would be a prerequisite for posting at GAF.

You see slow hardware sales so your solution is to release newer hardware? Slow hardware sales shows that no one else is getting interested. The new generation will invigorate home console sales, of course, but only within the community that already owns this generation's hardware. Then the pattern will repeat itself again. That's not healthy -- it's just artificially bloating the industry. A very small percentage of Japanese people who don't currently own a PS2 is going to look at the PS3 and say "Hey, now's the time for me to jump in," especially if the console can't be afforded by a household (joke). If you keep selling updated hardware to the same people without expanding your market, you're going to tire them out.

Maybe the Rvltn will change this, but we'll see.

You do realize that a lot more hardware has been sold each successive generation, yes? Even in Japan?

jarrod

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
You do realize that a lot more hardware has been sold each successive generation, yes? Even in Japan?
Actually, consoles are down overall this gen compared to last in Japan. Handhelds starting surging majorly with GBA (and later DS+PSP) though.

I did not realize that. Still, why think that only existing owners will buy new hardware? That's never been a constrainting factor before.

Better to look at other factors that may beresponsible for the loss of market. Japanese economy being in the tank, for one. In which case, a cheaper console (ala Revolution) might indded be the way to go.

Top Bottom