• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Cornbread78

Wait, WTF is this?

About the final battle:

Is this fight unwinable? Seriously.. soo pissed at this bullshit fight right now. Regardlwss of what you do, there is no way yo match blow for blow with him

Is there anything to salvage this shitshow?

zakujanai

Third playthrough, 217 hours and I've finally got my platinum. So ready for CS2
in 2 months

Only fight that took two tries in nightmare was the very last one, took me a while to figure out that you HAVE to block when he says "Are you ready?" Even then it was quite close.

Bladenic

Wait, WTF is this?

About the final battle:

Is this fight unwinable? Seriously.. soo pissed at this bullshit fight right now. Regardlwss of what you do, there is no way yo match blow for blow with him

Use the attack and speed boost skill twice and never let it run out.

Menthuss

Wait, WTF is this?

About the final battle:

You're supposed to
attack the correct part when he's in a stance to trigger link attacks. When he starts charging up attacks, use the counter craft.

Saphirax

Wait, WTF is this?

About the final battle:

You need to hit his proper weak spots. It depends on his stance/what he says.

Pretty good video on Trails series world-building

Shut out to Endless History for bringing it to my attention. Contains some spoilers for Cold Steel 1 endgame, so watch at your own risk if you haven't completed it yet.

The 'indie' thing is already dealt with in the comments, no need to bring it up here.

Yeah thats a great video, shared it on twitter as well. Did a much better job summing up how great the world building is then I did in my video.

Nyoro SF

Wait, WTF is this?

About the final battle:

You need to be much more specific about why you are failing the battle otherwise it will be hard to dispense advice.

Wait, WTF is this?

About the final battle:

On normal, it's very doable. It's frustrating now because it's a new type of gameplay. I was frustrated by it my first time too. Pay attention to the tells ("Here it comes! " etc.) and associated stances. After you attack a part (head, arm, body), look at the weakness indicator the next time around to see if that part is weak during that stance. Use your heal when you're at less than half health. And use the skill called "moon"-whatever as often as possible. You should be able to get him with at least half of your health left.

Cornbread78

You're supposed to
attack the correct part when he's in a stance to trigger link attacks. When he starts charging up attacks, use the counter craft.

You need to hit his proper weak spots. It depends on his stance/what he says.

You need to be much more specific about why you are failing the battle otherwise it will be hard to dispense advice.

On normal, it's very doable. It's frustrating now because it's a new type of gameplay. I was frustrated by it my first time too. Pay attention to the tells ("Here it comes! " etc.) and associated stances. After you attack a part (head, arm, body), look at the weakness indicator the next time around to see if that part is weak during that stance. Use your heal when you're at less than half health. And use the skill called "moon"-whatever as often as possible. You should be able to get him with at least half of your health left.

I've gotten the attacl zones down, the problem is that he continually does more damage than me on average and has been able to do doible a triple turn at times until I run out of CP since you can only heal twice.

I got lucky once and dodged three special attacks at once, but oit side of tgat, he has been using his special move on his second or third turn bevote I have enough CP to use the guard skill.

All I'm doing is calling out your weird 'all style, no substance' one-liner that added nothing but confusion to the discussion. I'm not sure what sort of a reply you expected after posting something as vague and easily misunderstood/misconstrued as that.

And of course I would've and I'm sure you'll find examples in my post history if you really want to seek for them, but you're right, I was too hostile.

No problem. I just don't like that tone thrown around; as people have used it to silence dissent in OTs in the past. I wasn't sure so I kept it noncommital. Just note alot of people are on their phone and wasn't a trend of wordy-word responces. Now that i'm off my phone:

As to what that meant, using a trope to do interesting things is paramount. They're impossible to escape anyways, and having a deft writer pluck the right one to use the right way at the right time is what makes great media. That's what makes Estelle and Joshua such a great pairing; there's multiple tropes cooking, being flipped, skewered, explored, and more to go along with top shelf light and witty writing. If this wasn't happening, they're just Tomboy and Pretty Boy and go no further as getting THAT would be the goal, not just two of the vehicles to get TO a goal.

On the other hand, you have what happened in the prologue of CS1 and occasionally would lift its ugly head at rare intervals later. Alisa is a
stock tsundere in the beginning with nothing interesting to say or do, and that uninteresting saying and doing is nothing a whole army of cookie-cutter tsunderes do in more LCD anime media series. In those moments, that character is to be a tsundere, and nothing more (for whatever reason).

It takes till Ch1 before a stronger varied personality sprouts forth, with desires, foibles, interests, wit, and the like start to flood out. A character like that cannot BE the good she was later unless control is given over and the tropes being used as tools.

As far as I am concerned, the two are inextractedly linked; no good writer can do good writing under those restraints. It's what gets any good media out of the mire that makes up its genre.

Also remember to
pray that the counter goes off instead of the block. Or maybe I was doing something wrong and not manipulating the RNG one. :p

I wouldn't mind if CS2 had better DLC outfits than CS1. I was actually looking forward to picking up the Casual Outfits when I read about them, but then I saw them...

I'm glad the entire cast now has styyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle. It's a good trend.

Jeffrey

wonder if they fixed the load times on vita.

so irritating seeing the loading icon appear after a few seconds which the ps3 version lacks.

Which is weird because this game was clearly designed for vita first then ported to ps3.

I really hope falcom hired some better tech dudes for ps4 stuff. Did Ys8 ever come out on ps4 yet?

Some Nobody

Bought this game yesterday and have been playing it all day. I gotta say, I was pretty down on Alisa
because I hate tsundere types with every fiber of my being.
. I was ready to write her off early until
she apologized for slapping Rean! It's such a refreshing change of pace--stop hitting characters who've done nothing wrong--that I've done a 180 on her almost instantly.

Anyway, this game is addicting though nerve-wracking since there are so many missables. I'm working with a guide pretty shamelessly lol.

Eeeeyup! She turns out fine.

Pretty good video on Trails series world-building

Shut out to Endless History for bringing it to my attention. Contains some spoilers for Cold Steel 1 endgame, so watch at your own risk if you haven't completed it yet.

The 'indie' thing is already dealt with in the comments, no need to bring it up here.

This guy named dropped everything I would short of Suikoden. Not bad for something that woulda had to go into plot goings on to really bring it home. Wish he hadn't gone into endgames though or it would be useful shilling evidence.

Cornbread78

Seriously, this end fight
as soon as I get him down tk a sliver he changes stances and dodges and counters everything, then line attacks for double damage

epmode

Wait, WTF is this?

About the final battle:

When I played this on Hard, winning seemed to come down to luck at times. Awful fight.

Cornbread78

When I played this on Hard, winning seemed to come down to luck at times. Awful fight.

Don't worry, that time he added
An attack, a special move, then an S-craft back to back to back for 40k damage, lol

Total random mess, but hey, I got him under 5k.. then he dodges, counters, then line atracks...

That or
you don't get any counters at all when you use the guard skill

Bladenic

My CS2 copy shipped, so excited. Wish i had time to do a second run of DA:I but I'll be able to finish the DLC at least (I hope). Since after CS2 arrives it will be my life until completion.

Psxphile

Don't worry, that time he added
An attack, a special move, then an S-craft back to back to back for 40k damage, lol

Total random mess, but hey, I got him under 5k.. then he dodges, counters, then line atracks...

That or
you don't get any counters at all when you use the guard skill

Avoid using that skill. 50% chance of counter-attacking is too unrealiable. Buff yourself twice and hit those weakpoints. Also, avoid attacking when he guards because it raises his chance of countering (he holds the double-saber in front with both hands when defending).

Keep in mind your Rean's level determines how strong you are for this fight. Anything below Level 65 might not be enough on Hard.

Ultimadrago

I'm glad the entire cast now has styyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle. It's a good trend.

Cq0xXZz.jpg

I sure wouldn't mind those Black/Yellow suits!

Cornbread78

Avoid using that skill. 50% chance of counter-attacking is too unrealiable. Buff yourself twice and hit those weakpoints. Also, avoid attacking when he guards because it raises his chance of countering (he holds the double-saber in front with both hands when defending).

Keep in mind your Rean's level determines how strong you are for this fight. Anything below Level 65 might not be enough on Hard.

I'm right at 65, uugghh. I've tried about 15-20 times each with a different outcome.. so random.

I'm right at 65, uugghh. I've tried about 15-20 times each with a different outcome.. so random.

Yeah no.

That fight requirement is lv 70+ . I did it once on normal at lv 73 and the second time on nightmare difficulty at 78.. i the second time was such a bitch ( died multiples times )

You're very underleveled for this fight , take a previous save and get back to the old schoolhouse last level and get more levels.

Jeffrey

how do you install DLC in this game again.

stupid ps3 interface.

I dled the stuff, but im not seeing it anywhere in 'dlc' tab?

edit: nvm apparently i bought some dlc for vita... wtf.

Yeah no.

That fight requirement is lv 70+ . I did it once on normal at lv 73 and the second time on nightmare difficulty at 78.. i the second time was such a bitch ( died multiples times )

You're very underleveled for this fight , take a previous save and get back to the old schoolhouse last level and get more levels.

Eh, 65 is fine for there.

I was 65 on Nightmare, and that was a bitch to complete, but grinding up too much isn't really necessary. Level 70 seems like way too much grinding.

Korigama

Yeah no.

I was at Lv. 67 on Normal. It remains my only retry on my battle record so far, but I did manage it by the second time.

zakujanai

Yeah no.

I beat him easily on normal at 65, took two goes on nightmare at 75. Definitely a luck element but the main thing is to save CP to defend when he say "Are you ready?". If that connects he follows up with a bitch of a special attack.

Well that explains why I struggled so hard on that fight. I think I was 67 or something like that and I ate shit to what felt like mostly luck. The only fights I had trouble on were the
Nosferatu and C fights
. Everything else, including the final schoolhouse boss, was really easy. This was all on hard btw

Psxphile

how do you install DLC in this game again.

stupid ps3 interface.

I dled the stuff, but im not seeing it anywhere in 'dlc' tab?

edit: nvm apparently i bought some dlc for vita... wtf.

When you buy DLC for this game you get it for both PS3 and VITA regardless of which one you chose to download. It's weird, I know.
EDIT: actually, maybe it does that just if you purchase the PS3 DLC, I can't verify it does that for VITA

Under normal circumstances the PS3 DLC installs automatically while the VITA DLC sits in your Game folder waiting to be transferred to a VITA (when on a PS3). Just boot the game and look 'em up under DLC in the sub-menu to "unlock" it.

Saphirax

Yeah no.

Even on nightmare the requirement isn't 70+, it's 68 I believe. He doesn't have to grind at all, just keep up his buff and correctly read his attacks.

Cornbread78

Yeah no.

Just grab all the free shining pom DLC packs and make your life easy.

Even on nightmare the requirement isn't 70+, it's 68 I believe. He doesn't have to grind at all, just keep up his buff and correctly read his attacks.

Playing on hard.
I can get him down to around 10k regularly, but then he just defends any attacks, then counters, then uses a combo of moves/special attacks, or his S-craft to finish you off. It's all random once you get to that part of the fight.

Bladenic

Yeah no.

Yeah, no. That's ridiculously overrated and time consuming when you could be 10 levels lower for both difficulties.

Also Cornbread, the final boss will never counter you if you hit the correct part. Learn those for each stance, and you'll never be countered.

Saphirax

Playing on hard.
I can get him down to around 10k regularly, but then he just defends any attacks, then counters, then uses a combo of moves/special attacks, or his S-craft to finish you off. It's all random once you get to that part of the fight.
Counter him back!

Jeffrey

i just remember you can abuse the hell out of counters and dodging in this game lol.

dodge tanking in not a mmo. Not common!

Playing on hard.

Worse comes to worst, you could buy all of the (currently free) Shining Pom DLCs from the PSN store and raise your level with those.

cwistofu

I'm a few hours into this game on Vita. I REALLY wish there was an option to speed up the camera sensitivity. It moves juuust slow enough to be annoying. It's also making me realize how uncomfortable the Vita's thumbsticks can be.

Some Nobody

Just finished Chapter One. All in all a fairly good start. I can see people calling it slow but honestly the game throws a lot of information at you about systems and how they work so if the game moved any faster you'd probably end up confused/lost.

I S Ranked Ch. 1 and left it with my first four characters at level 15--is that fairly standard as far as leveling goes?

drakkykun

Playing on hard.
You can use a move that is unblockable, did you try that?

Cornbread78

You can use a move that is unblockable, did you try that?

Yeah, the 20cp slash, but it only does around 8k damage tops.

I'll keep trying later and see if I can get lucky with a couple of turns, which should do it for me. It just hurts once he gets his libe attack and takes 10-20k each turn with two attacls, then sobetines gets a second turn for a third attack/special move.

I've 0 luck my entire playthrough, lol.. cursed version I tell ya.

Eh, 65 is fine for there.

I was 65 on Nightmare, and that was a bitch to complete, but grinding up too much isn't really necessary. Level 70 seems like way too much grinding.

I was at Lv. 67 on Normal. It remains my only retry on my battle record so far, but I did manage it by the second time.

I beat him easily on normal at 65, took two goes on nightmare at 75. Definitely a luck element but the main thing is to save CP to defend when he say "Are you ready?". If that connects he follows up with a bitch of a special attack.

How the heck did you beat that fight on hard at such low level ? congrats to all of you.

Top Bottom