• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Legacy |Import OT| Where you needn't blame yourself OR God!

urfe

There is a Quick Save. Use it vigorously.

I think it's designed for a very specific kind of person, but it is not a poorly made game.

Minimal story is also never a "pro" or a "con", it's a thing subject to both taste and desires. Tales of Soap Pasta came out the same day as this. It's nice to see a variety of games available. I'd be a smart and cautious buyer about this, but I wouldn't label it 100% Do Not Buy.

I like minimalist stories like something like Dragon Quest II or III, but not an overall lack of a story. Do you think I would like the story?

Also, for someone who is not a Saga fan (i.e. hasn't really played the series besides a few scenarios in Saga Frontier, which weren't bad), would this be something he could get into?

It's like 6200 yen on the eShop, and with Bravely Second coming out soon, I may not jump unless it really tickles something.

I'll probably just unload a lot of money from my Suica onto my 3DS and buy it drunk one night.

Sallokin

I put about 4 hours into it today finally. Started off with Owen because huge swords are always cool. Ended up in the Screaming Valley (the area with the bird shadow gimmick mentioned earlier) after 100% clearing the first two areas that are available. I would agree that this game is made for a very specific type of player, but for me it's just tons of fun despite all the quirks.

The music is the best part for me and my N3DS is currently sitting in it's charging cradle because I left it open just listening to world music lol. I'm absolutely getting the soundtrack when it releases.

I could see this one not making its way over to the west though. It doesn't seem like there's a prohibitive amount of text/localization that would need to be done, but it feels like it would be really risky. I would love to be proved wrong though, because I think a lot of people would really enjoy it.

Sinople

Some tips for those who struggle with the battles.
- About roles: Attack increases the attack (duh), Guard increases the defense and the skill "block" will protect the other characters, Support increases the speed and the amount of HP healed by the character.
- Formation: it's of course recommended to prepare various formations depending on the situation but Attack/Guard/Support is a must have.
- A basic strategy against strong monsters with some of the first shards available: On the first turn, "Block" with the Guard character, use Splash Wall (spell that create a protective wall) with the Attack character, call the water spirit with the Support character, then heal (with the support character) and attack as needed, recast Splash Wall if it disappears. Always blocking with the Guard character is not a bad idea.
- Having spirits at your side is nice for the help they give but that's not their only purpose. Calling a spirit in battle increases its influence, as shown on the lower screen. Here's what each spirit does when it has the strongest influence:
Water: spell damage x0.5
Wind: physical damage x0.5, spell damage x2
Fire: physical damage x2
Evil: spell damage x3
At first it's not really important but it'll soon become vital to use it at your advantage.
- Selling a map before it's completed grants less money but allows others adventurers to enter the area, thus giving a number of advantages: less monsters, a place to rest in the area and they sometime save the party in the event of a game over.
- As RK said, the quick save is your friend. The save is not erased when used.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
It's more of a question if you like the SaGa style growth system, wandering around from dungeon to dungeon exploring and powering up your characters. Like it's been said, the story is there, but not really portrayed in the classic way. I'm still early in, though, so who knows if the characters start talking more or not.

Also!
X+R is a shortcut to Quick Save and L+R+Start soft resets (really fast, too). Makes handling dungeons much smoother.

Labadal

I read that stat gains you get in the middle of combat won't go away if you flee from battles. I can see this being helpful if you want to increase some stats and then flee. This won't work for stat gains you get at the end of combat, like HP.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I read that stat gains you get in the middle of combat won't go away if you flee from battles. I can see this being helpful if you want to increase some stats and then flee. This won't work for stat gains you get at the end of combat, like HP.

That would make sense since sometimes Attack or Guard might increase right before an action happens but you will also see gains at the end of the battle without that notification happening mid-fight.

randomkid

It's more of a question if you like the SaGa style growth system, wandering around from dungeon to dungeon exploring and powering up your characters. Like it's been said, the story is there, but not really portrayed in the classic way. I'm still early in, though, so who knows if the characters start talking more or not.

So to compare to another series where people complain there's "no story" you're saying it's kinda like SMT? If the game's got NPC dialogue, journals, encyclopedia entries, or basically any kind of environmental storytelling at all (I already know atmosphere and music is A++) I'm pretty sure I'll be good.

So to compare to another series where people complain there's "no story" you're saying it's kinda like SMT? If the game's got NPC dialogue, journals, encyclopedia entries, or basically any kind of environmental storytelling at all (I already know atmosphere and music is A++) I'm pretty sure I'll be good.

I'm not sure which series to compare for the story, but definitely not SMT. SMT series do have a fixed story with branching path.

Would Etrian Odyssey be a valid comparison? Like does the area flavor text tell or imply some sort of overarching backstory about the world, or is it all just kind of stand alone?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
[filmia.jpg]
JUST LOOK AT THIS.
Fuck yeah, just look at that!

BUY THIS GAME.

I'm super serious, everyone.
Do you know how long Air Mail to Canada is and how crappy it is that we don't even get post on Saturdays? It's poopoo.

7-10 days is too long of a wait for me so I'm reduced to listening to soundtrack samples. :(

The focus on exploration and battles, the necessity to use all the tools at your disposal to win against foes both numerous and stronger than your characters, dungeon-like areas that hide dungeons or lead to other dungeon-like areas, the feeling of discovery, the absence of needless talk...
Maybe that's just me but I feel the same way than when I was playing ID. I like, and often prefer, a good story-driven RPG but sometimes it's nice to have this kind of game.
Sinople, you're speaking to my heart here.

Been watching some footage of the battle system from some users, and a lot of the folks who seem to be dying a lot just don't seem to use a whole lot of the options available to them, and it seems like some of them don't entirely 'get' the spirit system. But it seems like a neat battle system overall to learn max/min stuff about and try to get through the whole affair; I sorta missed games like that for a while.

Sure the lack of a shop that shows equipment comparisons really sucks, but it'll be interesting to see how the whole game works.

Sinople

It's really good how it's possible to change dramatically the way you fight in battle depending on which spirit you focus on. I'll repeat myself but the battle system is great.

And oh, cutscene, and a long one at that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just got to the Hidden Forest. I'm really liking the game. Love the battle system, map mechanic, and the sparse story.

Don't forget to talk to ppl in town to get the other characters to join you!

My team right now is Filmia, Bianca and Owen. Filmia is the fucking best.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Would Etrian Odyssey be a valid comparison? Like does the area flavor text tell or imply some sort of overarching backstory about the world, or is it all just kind of stand alone?

I haven't played this game so I don't know if the comparison is accurate but it sounds like they've taken the same approach as a lot of the old SaGa games, where you'd just kinda stumble over different tidbits based on where you went and who was in your party and they'd leave you to decide whether it made any sense or was worth caring about. It's one of those things that people defend as an example of thoughtful non-linear narrative but really, it's just a big dumb madlib.

I have this game on the way. Honestly all of the negatives on the sparse story sound like exactly what I want after finishing Fantasy Life, I just want to play a game and not have to bother with endless dialogue. For those who have played, are we talking SaGa Frontier/legend of mana, or is there a more linear direction without detailed character bs etc?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Let's get this party started. it also came with postcards. I felt like Filmia's postcard was apt for this thread. Never forget.

dsc01691acuni.jpg

Can't wait to dive into the soundtrack sampler, though. I've been waiting for a week to do this.

RevenantKioku

Although it's not surprising after the poison grass which slowed down movement, the addition of the exploding cacti has added another level maneuvering the field. The fact that they do Max HP damage on contact makes them put a thorn in my side.

I'm progressing slowly (Hi, life), but it's enjoyable and has me going back. It's replaced my Smartphone Stamina Game of the Moment in getting that little jolt of fun. It's just not as easy to get the 3DS out and playing as it is the iPhone, unfortunately.

casiopao

It's really good how it's possible to change dramatically the way you fight in battle depending on which spirit you focus on. I'll repeat myself but the battle system is great.

And oh, cutscene, and a long one at that.

Hmmm, seeing the praise on the battle system, I wanted to ask if the battle feel as smooth as the battle on Bravely Default? As I feel the battle system on BD is one of the best on turn based department recently.(SMT 4 is also greattt)

Sinople

I'm approaching the end, I think, and it's getting really hard with some group of monsters exterminating my party in one turn :(
And boy, the dragons are strooong in this game!

Hmmm, seeing the praise on the battle system, I wanted to ask if the battle feel as smooth as the battle on Bravely Default? As I feel the battle system on BD is one of the best on turn based department recently.(SMT 4 is also greattt)

I don't know if it's as "smooth", they're really different. I like both but it's definitely easier to abuse the mechanics in BD so LL feels more satisfying.
Though having to call a spirit before being able to cast spells will probably irritate some players.

Why is everyone having cool items with their game? All I received was the mini-OST :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I played the game for a few hours last night and I really enjoy it so far (but not enough time to type up good impressions, I guess). I... do have to admit that I enjoy the more forgiving "enemies take down your HP when the ally is dead on the ground" instead of the more limited and LP that can be in a smaller amount. That being said, I didn't mind LP in the first place!

I do like that you can speed up animations while they're going on. I feel like the game is balanced enough to force you into using any formations possible or guarding when you need to or calling spirits when you need to (and you flippin' should!). I was also pretty pleased that upon choosing Bianca, I was put with Filmia and Eloise. Filmia rocks, bro. The first thing I did after hitting the character select screen was read the manual and I still don't feel as prepared, but we'll try stuff out.

But you can definitely tell right off the bat that the game isn't for everyone. It's very very much designed for an audience more accustomed to older RPGs, or people who don't really care much for cutscenes constantly flying in your face. It feels really SaGa, and I was so happy upon seeing stats or certain things level up/get acquired when I used them more. I'd like to play around with the stat growth one day since I'm very certain that small meters are being filled unbeknownst to you, but I just want to have fun with this right now. I don't mind the pop-up, but I think I got used to it when I saw other people play the game. It's something that you get acclimated to after a while so it doesn't seem as odd when you play through the game, I guess.

I'm happy this got here before Tales of Zestiria did!

I am still waiting on receiving this but did all first run copies include the preorder items? I really want the paper file as weird as that sounds.
Why is everyone having cool items with their game? All I received was the mini-OST :(
Some retailers seemed to have retailer-exclusive bonus items. I ordered from CD Japan/Neowing so I got the postcards. Guessing Hasemo got the clear file from somewhere else. Ghirahim probably ordered from a place cooler than both of us!!

RevenantKioku

Yeah, I definitely don't even think about the pop-up at this point.

Unless they are cacti.

Fucking cacti.

I was wondering... does the game have various characters that you can meet around the world and add to your party like in SaGa games, or can you only choose between the seven main characters?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Someone further along might be able to answer that, but when you pick a character at the start, you get matched up with two other people (and the details are on this page). Then after you finish the intro dungeon, you can start allying the other game's characters around town (info here) to join up with you (and you can shift your party around at the inn).

So far it's just the main characters mentioned in the op, but maybe someone else can say if other people will join you.

I'm gonna play a bit more of this before bed. I didn't start shifting my party around much yet and I want to play around with everyone. I got Zestiria today but I don't want to start that yet.

So how's the soundtrack?
The sampler's quite beautiful so far. Really feels like a SaGa Frontier soundtrack mixed with some of Hamauzu's more modern stylings. It's a nice blend and it makes the soundtrack sound like later SaGa games in some spots and then like Hamauzu's recent soundtracks in others. It's still fairly consistent, though I wonder if that's because I'm quite used to Hamauzu's sound that the soundtrack sounds consistently classically-directed. Can't wait to get the full thing in February.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I knooooow. Someone wanted to see what it was like so I was like "ok". >___<

I'm at the Bubbly Sea now, so at least I progressed a lot last night. At least the likelihood of finishing this before Zestiria is high because of the platform it's on.

Sinople

Np, I was just kidding.
Have you done the Screaming Valley? This one is pretty long and the first spike in difficulty.

I'll persevere tonight and try to finish it without grinding with my current party.

Sinople

How long has it taken to reach the final boss?

I've beaten it yesterday with a final time of
35 hours
(spoiler tags just in case). I've explored every area and beaten every optional boss I've encountered, though my bestiary is half empty... It seems I've also missed a couple of spells.

I'll write final impressions later, for now I'll just say it's a good 4/5 to me.

I've started a second playthrough with Meurs but he's boring compared to Filmia =/
I'm also disappointed you have to start from scratch in New game + (no items, no money, no tech, no unlocked roles... nothing to reduce the play time). Considering there's very little differences between characters, I don't see me doing 7 runs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah that seems weird. I didn't check to see if any wikis have any tabs on NG+ but that seems a little shocking.

Np, I was just kidding.
Have you done the Screaming Valley? This one is pretty long and the first spike in difficulty.

I'll persevere tonight and try to finish it without grinding with my current party.
Yeah, I had to run out of the whole dungeon a few times (and I never ever run from battles in any other RPG) since I didn't feel prepared enough at all.

I don't think that aspect of it is that bad considering it's an easy way to get to an inn to restore depleted max HP, and you can get extra equipment if you need it real quickly while still maintaining some of your stat upgrades that you saw happen during the battle (even if you don't get some of the ups at the end of the battle).

RevenantKioku

Not only stat upgrades but unlocked skills. I've gotten a few by accidentally fighting those birds and then running away just before total destruction.

Sinople

Those eagle/griffin monsters are the best way to learn and level up techs in the first half the game. If you run, you won't level up the HP, SP and stats of the characters (what is raising during battles are the techs' own levels).

Wait. What does carry over in NG+ then?

Only the Book of Avalon, and there are reports your rarest weapon of each type may be available for sale in the shop. It's probably random as I've seen nothing of the sort myself.
As for new content, you can choose an alternate illustration for the characters in the menu, and the last area opens fully.
That's it =(

RevenantKioku

Those eagle/griffin monsters are the best way to learn and level up techs in the first half the game. If you run, you won't level up the HP, SP and stats of the characters (what is raising during battles are the techs' own levels).

So the character's stats and the skill levels work together, right?

I haven't sat down to think it all out but and only have a general idea, but each skill also has Attack/Support/Defend, right? Those level... how? Because an attack skill has its own attack power, and A/S/D stats.

And what happens if you use an attack while in Support of Defend formation?

Top Bottom