• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

RiggyRob

I had no idea this thread existed! This is probably the best place to put this since the OT seems pretty dead now:

I've started a Let's Play series of Wind Waker HD in preparation of Twilight Princess HD coming out.

Part 1 (Story set-up and explanation of Zelda timeline): https://youtu.be/dIIlpF05bIE
Part 2 (Pig rustling, bait buying and telescoping Tetra): https://youtu.be/-QwIgJLKIeU
Part 3 (Rescuing Tetra and setting off from Outset Island): https://youtu.be/J7eFlZegLY8
Part 4 (Link fired into Forsaken Fortress and sneaking around): https://youtu.be/4432-NW2GhM
Part 5 (Meeting the King of Red Lions and breaking Tingle out): https://youtu.be/VkGRTDRspAU
Part 6 (Selfies, pots and Battleships): https://youtu.be/n842nP6bdik
Part 7 (Sailing to Dragon Roost Island): https://youtu.be/impodhCE1Dc
Part 8 (Postman Link unlocking Dragon Roost Cavern): https://youtu.be/KlrqNoCIoc4
Part 9 (Dragon Roost Cavern & defeating Gohma): https://youtu.be/wIYspaLZpkQ
Part 10 (Forest Haven and finding the Deku Leaf): https://youtu.be/6D_EUb2iq9U
Part 11 (Forbidden Woods & defeating Kalle Demos): https://youtu.be/Pfi4q8etXPs

If there's anyone who wants to watch and give any feedback or criticisms, such as the play style, the commentary, is the video too short/too long etc., or feels like sharing it with anyone who might be interested, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Nintendad

I need your help GAF! My next tattoo is Legend of Zelda 2 inspired. I wanna get link doing a downward thrust onto an enemy. I just can't find any good images of Link doing the downward thrust or any of the enemies.

TheMoon

I need your help GAF! My next tattoo is Legend of Zelda 2 inspired. I wanna get link doing a downward thrust onto an enemy. I just can't find any good images of Link doing the downward thrust or any of the enemies.

zeldaiidownward.gif
Down-thrust.jpg

one of the first google image results

Krammy

People don't come to this thread often, huh?

Long time Zelda hater here, but I've been enjoying Hyrule Warriors since release, and now Hyrule Warriors Legends has rekindled my interest. I've always loved the characters and the world(s) from the series but traditional Zelda games have never been my cup of tea, preferring more grind heavy, JRPG types such as Dragon Quest and early Final Fantasy titles.

I'd really like to get into the mainline series, so is there any gameplay style that might give me the sense of accomplishment that I get from grinding? Right now, whenever I attempt to play them, I get bored quickly as fighting off enemies lacks the same kind of reward and feels like I'm wasting time.

People don't come to this thread often, huh?

Long time Zelda hater here, but I've been enjoying Hyrule Warriors since release, and now Hyrule Warriors Legends has rekindled my interest. I've always loved the characters and the world(s) from the series but traditional Zelda games have never been my cup of tea, preferring more grind heavy, JRPG types such as Dragon Quest and early Final Fantasy titles.

I'd really like to get into the mainline series, so is there any gameplay style that might give me the sense of accomplishment that I get from grinding? Right now, whenever I attempt to play them, I get bored quickly as fighting off enemies lacks the same kind of reward and feels like I'm wasting time.
Dunno if you're into retro games but the closest thing to level grinding in a Zelda game is The Adventure of Link.

I just got Zelda 1 on VC for 3DS. I'm having fun with it so far. The one fault I have with the game is that you don't start with full health after a game over. I have extra heart containers so why can't I use them?

I just got Zelda 1 on VC for 3DS. I'm having fun with it so far. The one fault I have with the game is that you don't start with full health after a game over. I have extra heart containers so why can't I use them?

This is true of the entire series, though. You are given three hearts after you die.
Skyward Sword might have been six, been a while since I played it, and obviously AoL is excepted.

This is true of the entire series, though. You are given three hearts after you die.
Skyward Sword might have been six, been a while since I played it, and obviously AoL is excepted.

Oh, I didn't remember that. The most recent game I played was A Link Between Worlds and I honestly can't remember, but I'm going to replay it.

Zelda 1 was a lot of fun, but I think there are some things that are very secret unless you get a hint from somewhere. I happened to play NES Remix which introduced me to some of the bosses and also some of the item locations...I played almost all night and now I'm on the last dungeon.

Huh... Linkle's bad with maps because she's supposed to be an inverse Link (so I hear; I haven't played Legends), but there's actually a line of dialogue in SS that says Link gets lost all the time, too. Just not with maps. It was something to the effect of "Why don't you open your map with +? That way you won't get lost... again."

Man, it really bothers me when I earn a bunch of rupees but my wallet isn't big enough to hold them all, so I waste some of the reward!! It's happened to me in Ocarina of Time and Minish Cap.

Fou-Lu

After all the footage of BotW I couldn't help but play some Zelda. Started up Minish Cap on my Wii U and finished it in two days, but I am hungry for more. I want to play something I haven't beaten before so:

-Oracles of Age or Seasons (I have beaten one of them, just not sure which it was at this moment)
-Twilight Princess (I've played quite a bit of it, but never beaten)
-Phantom Hourglass
-Spirits Tracks (Got to the last boss, lost my save)
-Skyward Sword

I could also play Majora's Mask 3D as it has been a while since I beat MM and I haven't played the remaster.

Thoughts on which I should play next?

TheMoon

After all the footage of BotW I couldn't help but play some Zelda. Started up Minish Cap on my Wii U and finished it in two days, but I am hungry for more. I want to play something I haven't beaten before so:

-Oracles of Age or Seasons (I have beaten one of them, just not sure which it was at this moment)
-Twilight Princess (I've played quite a bit of it, but never beaten)
-Phantom Hourglass
-Spirits Tracks (Got to the last boss, lost my save)
-Skyward Sword

I could also play Majora's Mask 3D as it has been a while since I beat MM and I haven't played the remaster.

Thoughts on which I should play next?

Continue the Fujibayashi train with Skyward Sword :)

So...since this thread got bumped, Majora's Mask 3DS is on sale and I was just wondering, well, if I would enjoy it. I mostly like Zelda for the atmosphere and sense of adventure, but I'm less interested in talking to every NPC multiple times and wandering around aimlessly or repeatedly (if that's how the 3-day cycle works). I'm also a bit burnt out on Zelda, but...should I download it and play it later?

PKrockin

So...since this thread got bumped, Majora's Mask 3DS is on sale and I was just wondering, well, if I would enjoy it. I mostly like Zelda for the atmosphere and sense of adventure, but I'm less interested in talking to every NPC multiple times and wandering around aimlessly or repeatedly (if that's how the 3-day cycle works). I'm also a bit burnt out on Zelda, but...should I download it and play it later?
Well if you like Zelda for the atmosphere you definitely need to play Majora's Mask because it's easily got the best atmosphere of the series, that's its #1 strength. The Bomber's Notebook guides you through the sidequests so there isn't much guesswork involved. You likely will end up having to repeat an event sometimes or wait for a bit for the correct time to do something, but I didn't think it was any more of a roadblock to my enjoyment than the numerous instances of backtracking in WW, TP and SS.

Well if you like Zelda for the atmosphere you definitely need to play Majora's Mask because it's easily got the best atmosphere of the series, that's its #1 strength. The Bomber's Notebook guides you through the sidequests so there isn't much guesswork involved. You likely will end up having to repeat an event sometimes or wait for a bit for the correct time to do something, but I didn't think it was any more of a roadblock to my enjoyment than the numerous instances of backtracking in WW, TP and SS.

Thanks. I know it has good reviews and people recommend it. I guess it just seems so different than the others, with all the masks and sidequests, and I don't really know what it means when people say sidequests. I do like that it has very traditional main items and the transformations look neat too.

Thanks. I know it has good reviews and people recommend it. I guess it just seems so different than the others, with all the masks and sidequests, and I don't really know what it means when people say sidequests. I do like that it has very traditional main items and the transformations look neat too.

MM is the only Zelda with a sidequest logbook. Since the NPCs have schedules and will only be available at certain times, it records all that stuff in the logbook. Some of the side quests have more story to them than is typical, too. Those are the kinds of things people are talking about with why MM has good sidequests.

MM is the only Zelda with a sidequest logbook. Since the NPCs have schedules and will only be available at certain times, it records all that stuff in the logbook. Some of the side quests have more story to them than is typical, too. Those are the kinds of things people are talking about with why MM has good sidequests.

It sounds okay. To be honest, my thumbs have been hurting me, especially my right one... So I'm just worried I won't be able to play through it. I still have OOT 3D to finish, and also Spirit Tracks, which uses the stylus, so I should be okay playing it.

So after seeing some of BotW and Aonuma's comments here is my fanfictiony theory:

Game takes place a hundred years after OOT in the Fallen Link timeline. This game is meant to parallel WW and TP. After Link fails, the Sheikah army attacks. Zelda and the sages escape and they somehow get Link to a restoration pod. The Sheikah robot army battles against Ganon and his forces. However, Ganon has the entire triforce so he is unstoppable. The sea levels begin to rise like what happened in WW. Zelda and the seven sages seal Ganon in Hyrule Castle and Zelda enters a 1000 year slumber like Hylia and SS Zelda did to contain Ganon. The sea levels then began to recede after Ganon was contained. OoT Zelda is the "first Zelda" that was asleep for a long time in a hidden tower in Zelda 2. The Old Man is actually Zelda's brother referred to in Zelda 2 as well. He betrayed Zelda to Ganon and felt a lot of guilt and shame for his actions that haunted him the rest of his life. Sheik does return in the game and she is Zelda as well. This Zelda is a great granddaughter of the prince. Ocarina of Time will be the musical instrument for the game. The Great Plateau is where castle town used to be. If you pay attention to the wall structure along the perimeter, the exact same temple of time, and general proximity to Hyrule Castle, I'd say signs point to this being Castle Town from OoT. The Koroks are likely related to some sidequests where you get some sort of reward from the Deku Tree for finding and sending the Koroks on their way back home. Kokiri just evolve into Koroks in response to a post-Apocalyptic Hyrule. Zora survived since they are in ALTTP and ALBW. Gorons could've moved to a different mountain range. There are 8 towns and they are named after the 8 OoT sages since those sages helped save the world and it'd be a callback to Zelda 2.

Dineren

Banned
All this Zelda talk around E3 got me to go back and try playing through Skyward Sword again (not sure why I originally stopped, probably just got distracted by another game). I've been really enjoying the soundtrack so I decided to go pick it up, but I can't find one anywhere.

Was a complete soundtrack ever released for it? I checked amazon.co.jp and a few import sites and haven't seen anything that indicates one existed.

TheMoon

All this Zelda talk around E3 got me to go back and try playing through Skyward Sword again (not sure why I originally stopped, probably just got distracted by another game). I've been really enjoying the soundtrack so I decided to go pick it up, but I can't find one anywhere.

Was a complete soundtrack ever released for it? I checked amazon.co.jp and a few import sites and haven't seen anything that indicates one existed.

lol you're hilarious.

No. For perspective: Twilight Princess (HD) is getting its 3-disc soundtrack selection released next month. Nintendo doesn't release soundtracks. Only exception are its satellite studios like Intelligent Systems, MonolithSoft, Pokémon Company doing it on their own. Splatoon got a release last year because that game and merch just blew up like crazy. Majora's Mask 3D last year was the first Zelda OST you could officially buy in forever. WWHD never got a release, OoT didn't either. TPHD in July is the only other one. At least this century. All of this is Japan-only of course.

Everyone's always whining about accounts and console features but them not capitalizing on their soundtracks more is the real crime. A true shame. But I'm glad some things are moving now with these Zelda OST releases recently. I hope SS gets one before its 10 year anniversary ...

watershed

Banned

It's all on youtube and sounds good too.

MajorMane

My apologies for the bump.

A professor of mine recently asked for music representative of the Legend of Zelda series. I'm always drawn to Ocarina of Time for various reasons but would love some input from you guys on the matter.

What music would you say is best representative of Legend of Zelda?

So I'm thinking about finally picking up Hyrule Warriors even though I'm not a huge fan of dynasty warriors only I"m not sure which one to get.
I own both a Wii U and a New 3DS XL, so I could get either one, so which should I get if I want the most complete experience?
Is all the 3DS DLC available for the Wii U as well?

My apologies for the bump.

A professor of mine recently asked for music representative of the Legend of Zelda series. I'm always drawn to Ocarina of Time for various reasons but would love some input from you guys on the matter.

What music would you say is best representative of Legend of Zelda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyMKWJ5e1kg
For obvious reasons.

TheMoon

So I'm thinking about finally picking up Hyrule Warriors even though I'm not a huge fan of dynasty warriors only I"m not sure which one to get.
I own both a Wii U and a New 3DS XL, so I could get either one, so which should I get if I want the most complete experience?
Is all the 3DS DLC available for the Wii U as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyMKWJ5e1kg
For obvious reasons.

Legends on 3DS has new mechanics that affect the mission design and balance, thus none of the 3DS content is in the Wii U version other than the new characters themselves.

Go for the Wii U version if you want a sizable game that is ultimately prettier, go for the N3DS version if you want the effectively better game that includes all the Wii U DLC in the base game and adds new mechanics such as character switching mid-map and the My Fairy system and has a bunch of new DLC available if you care along with the Linkle story missions that are part of the game, of course. On New 3DS it performs the same as the Wii U version so no issues there.

The Bombcast convinced me to finally check out Zelda II after all these years.

This game is so hard! Like, half the enemies are tougher than Link is, and you have to go through so many of them at certain points.

Is there a guide (preferably with videos) with strategies on how to beat the tougher regular enemies, like Dairas and Goriyas?

Thank you, but unfortunately no. It says things like "kill the Dairas then cross the bridge," but it doesn't say how. I'm mainly looking for how to get past them without taking 3 hits.

I'm watching some videos and it seems like the answer is just to be an absolute ninja in timing pixel-perfect jumping slashes.

I know some people love it, but I have no idea how Nintendo let this game out the door like this back in the day.

watershed

Banned
I'm sure I'm super late to this but watching this video on youtube:
https://youtu.be/PbDgk9Tcofs?t=5m22s

It reminded me of that triptych stone carving added to Twilight Princess HD that shows Hylians interacting with Gorons, Hylians interacting with those creepy bird things in the sky from TP, and Hylians interacting with some other bird species. It's interesting to think that Nintendo added that specifically to hint at BOTW before anyone outside of Nintendo knew about this new bird species. Or they could still be the Rito and they exist across multiple timelines now.

butalala

Hi Zelda Community Thread! I have a question about Triforce Heroes. I'd like to play it with a couple of my friends. Do we need to have three copies of the game, or will one suffice? Are there any differences between the two options? Thanks!

TheMoon

Hi Zelda Community Thread! I have a question about Triforce Heroes. I'd like to play it with a couple of my friends. Do we need to have three copies of the game, or will one suffice? Are there any differences between the two options? Thanks!

Three copies is best. But it has Download Play with limitations.

From the OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128362

Multiplayer: 3 players via local wireless, online (region locked), and (single copy) download play.

Download play players cannot get costumes. That can fuck you over if you're getting serious with the game

Playing Wind Waker HD for the second time. Played a bit through it years ago but didn't like it because you didn't level up when killing things and I had just come off of games like KH/KH2, Ratchet & Clank, Phantasy Star Universe, and other games where you level up when killing things.

Anyway, I had a Sonic 3 barrel moment with this game. I was stuck at the entrance to the Dragon Roost Cavern for like 2 hours. I kept going out, talking to all the NPCs, looking around the island, flying a pelican to see if there was something I missed, anything to try to figure out how to get in. (It was also weird how some NPCs kept talking about the pond being dried up after I undried it, especially the dude who is straight up overlooking the pond)

I really didn't want to look online, but I eventually did, and figured out that you can PULL boxes. I thought you could only push.

Smellycat

Man, I feel like it is too dangerous to step into a Zelda thread in the gaming discussion section these days. Way too spoilery and too many timeline discussions. I feel like I have to go on a media blackout till launch. Less than 2 months remain. I can make it! lol

I am so hyped though! I watched the trailer during the Switch conference and it was absolutely incredible. I am not planning on watching it again though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've replayed pretty much every Zelda game in the last few years now thanks to the HD remakes and just 'for fun'. Skyward Sword is next on the list, a game I've only beaten once. I enjoyed my time with it, despite my many criticisms and I'm looking forward to diving back in. I'm hoping it'll be like Twilight Princess, where my opinion on it becomes more and more positive the more times I've played it (3 full times now).

I feel like the gameplay of Zelda WW is just "walk around and do stuff" with some combat that's there. The sense of adventure is good enough though that it keeps my interest.

I figure now would be a good time for a Zelda series playthrough thread, the BotW date is set and that means replay hype time.
I definitely plan on tackling 2 or 3 entries on the way to March.

Canyarion

Neo Member
So while most Zelda Youtube channels are throwing themselves on the story and try to get to the bottom of that, I'm following another course.

I don't want to know any more of the story than what Nintendo showed in the last trailer. So the whole Zelda PodSmashers channel is going story-spoiler-free!

I'll be focusing my analysis on game mechanics instead. The weather system, horses, NPC interaction... there is enough to talk about.

My first analysis video since the Switch Event, about 10 details with big implications:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb6axp8CB9M

So if you want to get your BotW fix without ruining the surprises in story, come take a look!

I'm thinking of making a separate (non-spoiler) thread here, or does that already exist?

TheMoon

So while most Zelda Youtube channels are throwing themselves on the story and try to get to the bottom of that, I'm following another course.

I don't want to know any more of the story than what Nintendo showed in the last trailer. So the whole Zelda PodSmashers channel is going story-spoiler-free!

I'll be focusing my analysis on game mechanics instead. The weather system, horses, NPC interaction... there is enough to talk about.

My first analysis video since the Switch Event, about 10 details with big implications:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb6axp8CB9M

So if you want to get your BotW fix without ruining the surprises in story, come take a look!

I'm thinking of making a separate (non-spoiler) thread here, or does that already exist?

I think this is fantastic. I find the obsession with figuring out story bits before release pretty ... let's find a nice word ... umm... silly. So your gameplay approach is really cool for me, meaning I can still watch this stuff and go in fresh with story stuff unspoiled. Though I also wouldn't want any and all puzzle mechanics spoiled.

I know people were sort of reminded of Wind Waker when Moana was coming out, I saw the film yesterday and was inspired to make a little video mashing up TWW and the main song from Moana.

So yeah, if anyone wants to check it out, here is my little video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE8zyhQ-3f0

I really liked this but only watched half to avoid spoilers since I'm playing through the game right now. Nice idea. I'll finish it after I'm done with the game.

Lynd7

I really liked this but only watched half to avoid spoilers since I'm playing through the game right now. Nice idea. I'll finish it after I'm done with the game.

Thanks, there isn't anything spoilery. I only captured a bit of footage where I was up to earlyish in the game.

Top Bottom