• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Mr. Aonuma Gameplay Demonstration

bbeach123

Hey, so, Yuzu people:

When I buy TotK digitally day 1 on Switch e-shop, can I simply install it to an SD card and then move that SD card game folder to my PC and run it at 1080p 60fps with Yuzu? Or does it take time for Yuzu to be able to play brand new games?

Highly unlikely .

Best-case scenario would be you could boot into the game and it run like shit with graphical glitches . But still playable .

This is a high profile title so it should be fast for him to fix . Could take weeks to months .

Last edited:

Mozza

I'm still trying to get a grasp on what the resolution for this game is. It looks so blury. More so than botw but it's almost like a heavy reconstruction blur.
It will be 900p with a better framerate, as they have had more chance to work with the engine, and hopefully it will be more optimized for the Switch.

Tg89

What if this really is all there is to the game?

Like you go do more shrines, and at the end fight Ganon. No big secret thing Nintendo is hiding.

How would you feel?

If the reviews drop before release date and thats the case, I’ll cancel my preorder. New mechanics and more shrines won’t do it for me. Not at full price. Im going to need alot more story in this one too.

Would be fine with it. The amount of stuff that will already change with the mechanics they've revealed is huge. I'd definitely prefer some more traditional Zelda dungeons, that to me makes BOTW near perfect. But even without I'll still happily sink 100 hours in. Formula worked once, it'll work again. Not like we've been getting tons of similar games in the last 6 years.

Couldn't care less about a story.

Last edited:

Davevil

Read my post again, I said some can't handle the Switch's success, not sure how the console is a nightmare to develop for by Nintendo's own internal development teams, as they are not chasing graphics and framerates, now I would agree with you if a multi platform developer was trying to port a modern triple AAA title to the Switch, that would be a nightmare.
and do you really think that implementing new gameplay dynamics was a joke just because the internal team knew the HW?
even at the time of the SNES the HW was well known .... so much so that in front of the limits of the Nintendo machine it decided to "help itself" with the Super FX chip

Luipadre

It will be 900p with a better framerate, as they have had more chance to work with the engine, and hopefully it will be more optimized for the Switch.

i can see the same frame drops when the enemy dies as botw. 0 improvements there thats for sure :D

Xdrive05

Highly unlikely .

Best-case scenario would be you could boot into the game and it run like shit with graphical glitches . But still playable .

This is a high profile title so it should be fast for him to fix . Could take weeks to months .
That’s what I was afraid of but expected.

I’m so spoiled by BotW on Cemu at 1080p60fps that the Switch version at 900p30fps will be very jarring. Tried BotW on Switch recently and it was the same feeling.

Tempted to wait for Yuzu to catch up first. Glad to give Nintendo my money all day long but let me have a clean image and smooth gameplay ffs!

Well if you think they spent 5-6 years working on an expansion for Breath of the wild, then I am not sure how to respond.

I don't think that. So far that's what it looks like but I don't know. That's, again, why I said 'if'.

That said, Nintendo are baffling company that do fuck weird shit all the time. Nothing they could possibly do would surprise me

Hal.

This trailer reduced my hype substantially. Music and gameplay basically looks the same as BotW. Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing but was hoping for something more Ocarina -> Majora style rather than BotW with a couple of floating islands.

Will still get it at launch but eh...

Robb

Gold Member
Would be cool if we got some quests throughout the game where you get to re-build Hyrule and kind of create new parts of the map ourselves. The new ability seems perfect for something like that.

I’d love to re-build that ruin of Lon Lon Ranch and have a race as a callback to OOT.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It seems annoying that you have to build every weapon combo manually every time, and then it breaks after two minutes (I'm actually not a durability hater in general, but in this context it seems annoying).

I'm not really into all this crafting stuff at all, it's not why I play Zelda games.

Last edited:

Tg89

It seems annoying that you have to build every weapon combo manually every time, and then it breaks after two minutes (I'm actually not a durability hater in general, but in this context it seems annoying).

I'm not really into all this crafting stuff at all, it's not why I play Zelda games.
I do wish there was a way to save recipes. Even in BOTW, cooking got a little annoying after a while.

This trailer reduced my hype substantially. Music and gameplay basically looks the same as BotW. Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing but was hoping for something more Ocarina -> Majora style rather than BotW with a couple of floating islands.

Will still get it at launch but eh...

There's not much more they can do with that target hardware spec....

Even BotW pushed the hardware and that was a game made for the 2012 Wii U

Robb

Gold Member
I'm not really into all this crafting stuff at all, it's not why I play Zelda games
Yeah they’re walking a thin line here I feel.

What intrigues me the most with all of this is the potential for the puzzles. Building contraptions, combining materials/weapons you happen to have on hand, reversing objects etc. all have potential to make for some amazing puzzle solving. That’s what Zelda is all about for me.

I just really hope they haven’t cut down on that in order to realize these crafting ideas.

Usage/utility in the overworld is great and all, but the main focus should be on what theses abilities can add to the puzzles/dungeons imo.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I really like all the new stuff they showed, this game looks like so much fun. I'm really glad Starfield got moved to September. I so can't wait to play this game! Way too many great games coming this year.

I'll play Redfall first since it comes out first and will be way shorter than Zelda, then I can play leisurely through Zelda and then turn my life over to Bethesda in September. I'm going to be no-lifing it for 2023.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Would be cool if we got some quests throughout the game where you get to re-build Hyrule and kind of create new parts of the map ourselves. The new ability seems perfect for something like that.

I’d love to re-build that ruin of Lon Lon Ranch and have a race as a callback to OOT.
Most people loved the creation of Tarrey Town, so I could see that. Also from the art leak it does look like there are sort of hyrulian forts.

Hal.

There's not much more they can do with that target hardware spec....

Even BotW pushed the hardware and that was a game made for the 2012 Wii U
It's not the graphics I'm fussed about, more the fact that it does basically look exactly the same just with a couple of extra powers. Hopefully it turns out to be fun.

Never had any complaints about Zelda graphics generally tbh

th4tguy

I'd imagine it's the poor quality bit rate of the video. BOTW was 900p. I'd assume we'll get the same here.
I'm betting there is some heavy upscaling/sharpening going on here and internal resolution that is much lower than previously.

ON A SIDE NOTE. Sadly, with the new mechanics that are given to Link, I think traditional dungeons are out the window. It would be very hard to create a controlled setting for a traditional dungeon that could not have it's intended solution broken with the new game mechanics.
Not unless they treated each dungeon like they did event tide island.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'm betting there is some heavy upscaling/sharpening going on here and internal resolution that is much lower than previously.

ON A SIDE NOTE. Sadly, with the new mechanics that are given to Link, I think traditional dungeons are out the window. It would be very hard to create a controlled setting for a traditional dungeon that could not have it's intended solution broken with the new game mechanics.
Since Shrines are gone, it could be that every island is like event tide island. I think that's the missing piece for a lot of people, where are the puzzles.

daveonezero

Banned
There are plenty of open-world games on PC that leave it in the dust, and not by a small margin.

What do you think makes it so innovative that other games haven't done better and without the glaring limitations and crappy graphics?
I haven’t seen there games nor played them.

daveonezero

Banned

east way to get around that is literally have something that takes away the powered during that first exploration. Like the corruption is too powerful so no powers until it is cleared.

Or have a certain type of material you can’t warp through.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Oh well. Not that it matters to you.

Why would it not matter to me? I still play Nintendo games, crazy that I would want good graphics too, imagine that kind of insanity. Also I was genuinely hoping for a long time this would be a switch 2 crossover title.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I think it’s funny seeing so many people complain about the graphics of all things tbh. We’ve known it’d look like this since 2019.

It’s not somehow going to magically transform just because the producer is playing it for 10 minutes.

That's true, but as time has passed and we become more used to advanced even in the past 4 years, it has just became more obvious and glaring.

THE DUCK

Or it's funny to see the minority that do care, trying to make out it's more people than it actually is. Zelda breath of the wild still looks pretty decent to me, sure it's on a weaker system, but it's art style is spot on.

Art style is fantastic, crappy frame rate, low resolution, and flickering jagged textures not so much. Why would you think it's the minority that cares? Just because people accept the weaker graphics doesn't mean they don't care. They just accept it because there is no alternative.
I mean if you had a place that sold so-so fries, and people are buying and eating it because it's the only fry shop in town and they love fries, doesn't mean they don't want piping hot fresh five guys fries. Acceptance doesn't exclude wanting.

Robb

Gold Member
That's true, but as time has passed and we become more used to advanced even in the past 4 years, it has just became more obvious and glaring.
Definitely, Switch in general have felt like it’s on its last legs for a loooong time. It’s too bad Nintendo never opted for a Pro model. Although I’m not sure how much it would’ve helped.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Because you know that? It looks to be way more impactful than adding elements to a sword in any RPG, mainly because you can do so much more than that. What happens when you add a steak to an arrow? Does it turn thing into meat?

I'm excited about the possibilities.
Maybe you can use it to lure the enemies :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

9q9gi8S.jpg

zweifuss

So I'm guessing since the Sheikah Slate is gone, the Hand will replace everything? They're still not telling us a lot. My son for one will love this, he never did any of the shrines (8-year-old), and all he did was mess around cooking crap and climbing and playing with the abilities, and loves BotW and Minecraft. And I do find it funny that Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts did the same thing over a decade ago. Anyway, not much else to add to the conversation, can't wait to play this one and share it with my boy.

Xdrive05

I don't think they'd have to take it as far as Eventide did, basically stripping EVERYTHING from you. They could just deactivate your arm powers until you beat it, but otherwise it's still basically be the BotW move set, weapons and armor. Or really, if the theoretical dungeons are discrete areas you enter, like Shrines were in BotW, the designers can control what materials, weapons and permeable ceilings are available in that dungeon so that you can't cheese it with creativity like you can in the overworld.

But I also can't help but to feel like this goes against the open ended spirit of the game, so I also am starting to doubt real dungeons. We see that there are now plenty of Cave markers on the minimap and new caves that didn't exist in BotW Hyrule. It could be that there are hundreds of Caves now that effectively replace Shrines, with some subset of them including puzzles and challenges with a definitive goal at the end, hence the Tick mark on "completed" caves on the minimap.

Then again there's that tear drop thing Link caries that does imply some Dungeon like progress collectibles...

As good as the gameplay looks, I still can't get over the fact that visually it just looks identical. At least with Majoras Mask, which did look graphically similar, it had a more striking art style and a completely new world. It does just look like really good DLC. I really wish this was released for the Switch 2, so they could have made it look much better.

Well.. ok. The textures look like ass and the imagine quality is ridiculous. It basically looks like a hacked lowest-than-officially-lowest-settings running on a potato PC type a game that i see on Youtube for kicks. It is what it is 🤷‍♂️

That thing should be able to pump out more.. i'll never get what the fuck is going on with the Switch hardware and its developers, and its fans which constantly throw their hands in the air with excuses about its performance left and right. It's more powerful than the WiiU, which was more powerful than the Playstation 3. Optimize that shit. Turn the dial on scope and vision a little lower for some decent fucking textures and shadows, and less pop-in so i can see some appealing shit on the screen with my eyes. Make it in line with the hardware it's on, for fuck's sake.

daveonezero

Banned
Optimize that shit. Turn the dial on scope and vision a little lower for some decent fucking textures and shadows, and less pop-in so i can see some appealing shit on the screen with my eyes. Make it in line with the hardware it's on, for fuck's sake.
I'd rather see farther and have a bigger vision than slightly better textures.

Also watching some breakdowns there are a ton of little details, map icons and things that haven't been shown.

Last edited:

Zephyrus0

Banned
What if this really is all there is to the game?

Like you go do more shrines, and at the end fight Ganon. No big secret thing Nintendo is hiding.

How would you feel?

If the reviews drop before release date and thats the case, I’ll cancel my preorder. New mechanics and more shrines won’t do it for me. Not at full price. Im going to need alot more story in this one too.
Nintendo doesn’t have to try.
Nintendo fans buy everything they put out.
Just look at pokemon.
They don't refine mechanics, they just add a new gimmick.

Kudos to those looking for the legend of zelda: nuts and bolts.
Personally, after this astoundingly mediocre gen from nintendo, I'm out for good.
They got two ip's I like. Fire emblem and smash. None are worth an overpriced, underperforming console.

Correction, I also like kid icarus. After how fun the 3ds one was, I'm stunned nintendo didn't make a new one.

Mozza

Art style is fantastic, crappy frame rate, low resolution, and flickering jagged textures not so much. Why would you think it's the minority that cares? Just because people accept the weaker graphics doesn't mean they don't care. They just accept it because there is no alternative.
I mean if you had a place that sold so-so fries, and people are buying and eating it because it's the only fry shop in town and they love fries, doesn't mean they don't want piping hot fresh five guys fries. Acceptance doesn't exclude wanting.
I played the game and had very little issue with it, sure it's not perfect, but amazing to see a console like the Switch run something like this at all. We can all moan about the Switch's lack of power till the cows come home, won't change anything, people do have a choice not to buy.

Mozza

Nintendo doesn’t have to try.
Nintendo fans buy everything they put out.
Just look at pokemon.
They don't refine mechanics, they just add a new gimmick.

Kudos to those looking for the legend of zelda: nuts and bolts.
Personally, after this astoundingly mediocre gen from nintendo, I'm out for good.
They got two ip's I like. Fire emblem and smash. None are worth an overpriced, underperforming console.

Correction, I also like kid icarus. After how fun the 3ds one was, I'm stunned nintendo didn't make a new one.
The Pokemon franchise has nothing to do with Nintendo, it's Gamefreak that make those games. And you have not used celebrating mediocrity yet. ;)

Zephyrus0

Banned
The Pokemon franchise has nothing to do with Nintendo, it's Gamefreak that make those games. And you have not used celebrating mediocrity yet. ;)
I'm gonna assume you meant "you haven't celebrated mediocrity yet".
You'd be right. I don't celebrate most nintendo games because they've been repackaging the same games for 3 decades now and they just aren't that good. They have a gem once in a while though. But the majority of their games? No.
I don't stick to one system and that has shown me there are MUCH better offerings elsewhere.

I will say I will enjoy seeing nintendo fans now claim nintendo has inovated again with this game. How ultrahand or whatever is a groundbreaking mechanic. You know like they did with botw and open world. I got duped then despite not liking what I saw on youtube. "There's gotta be more to it". There wasn't.
I have no attachment to zelda. I liked a link in the past on gameboy color, ocarina of time and majora's mask on the n64. I haven't liked a single zelda game ever since. It is my honest opinion that they're all 6/10 games boosted by the legacy of the ip and an insane fanbase.

I'm not saying you're wrong for liking the game, but it's just how I feel about the IP.
Fun and enjoyment is relative. Your's different than mine and that's fine.

Last edited:

Hal.

As good as the gameplay looks, I still can't get over the fact that visually it just looks identical. At least with Majoras Mask, which did look graphically similar, it had a more striking art style and a completely new world. It does just look like really good DLC. I really wish this was released for the Switch 2, so they could have made it look much better.
I mean this is still basically the same world map too! Fully agreed with this - I'm not fussed about the graphics but it does look like they've just taken Hyrule from BotW and added floating islands...

I am praying I am wrong.

bobone

Genuinely curious how anyone can be excited for this game. Nintendo is releasing this after Elden Ring...
They worked on this for 6 years and re-used the exact same map? Same enemies? Same terrible weapon durability?

If this had been called anything other than Zelda people wouldnt give a shit about it. Pretty amazing to see what Nintendo can get away with by name alone.

Yoshi97

Genuinely curious how anyone can be excited for this game. Nintendo is releasing this after Elden Ring...
They worked on this for 6 years and re-used the exact same map? Same enemies? Same terrible weapon durability?

If this had been called anything other than Zelda people wouldnt give a shit about it. Pretty amazing to see what Nintendo can get away with by name alone.
A couple years ago I would have called you out lol, but after everything we've seen.. I actually agree. I have no idea what Nintendo was thinking here, and If it actually is way better then it seems they still get an F- for marketing. Although, my gripes are more from the same map, there actually seems to be some enemy variety this time around, and I've never cared about weapons breaking.

BlackTron

TBH, I'm not that excited. I'm open to it being outstanding, but my expectations are managed. Best case is we get the game that I wish BotW was 6 years ago, which would still be a dated game, and still leave me ready for a much different sequel any time around...now.

Gambit2483

A couple years ago I would have called you out lol, but after everything we've seen.. I actually agree. I have no idea what Nintendo was thinking here, and If it actually is way better then it seems they still get an F- for marketing. Although, my gripes are more from the same map, there actually seems to be some enemy variety this time around, and I've never cared about weapons breaking.

It's more about

1. Being excited to see how much the world has changed since the conclusion of BOTW. What happened to Link and Zelda and why Ganon was revived.

2. Being excited about using the new mechanics to interact with and travel/fight within this "new" Hyrule.

If neither of those concepts excites you then yeah, I can see peoples disappointment.

No it's not going to win any awards for increased visual fidelity though you have to admit it's pretty impressive Being able to pull off that amazing world scope without a single loading screen. Also it's still a very nice looking art style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom