• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is $70

GHG

Thanks to the PS loyalists for supporting price hikes blindly, now its becoming an industry standard. Good job sony fans, your cultish behavior robbed me of 10 dollars.

That extra $10 goes directly to Sony because they patented the $70 price point.

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
PS4? PS4 could do higher than 1080p, had HDR and PS4Pro could offer 60fps for many games. 😂 PS4....
Erm, more like 360+. Doesn't really change the quality of the game, but you'll have to wait for their next hardware if you want to see something in the realm of a portable PS4.

NOTE: Nobody quote that 1TF number for the Switch's GPU please, that was at half precision and full clocks, which the Switch doesn't use. Even docked, the Switch is about 1/3 of the Xbox 1.
Yeah, I know. It's just that the Switch can target higher resolutions in AAA games than 7th gen consoles, so I decided to use the PS4 for comparison's sake.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's a video game, a video game that will be better than most of the $70 PS5 and Xbox Series X games out there. How is it any less deserving of a $70 price tag? Cause graphics?
I don't pay $70 for those games either. I've only ever paid $70 for three different games, and I've regretted all of these purchases.

peronmls

Never played it. Never will. Art style is ugly and looks like everything is melting. There is nothing inspiring. Just a bunch of reused ideas thrown into one game. For me Zelda died after Twilight Princess.
Eiji Aonuma is a much better director and designer than Miyamoto or the handheld Zelda director who is now doing all the main Zelda. Hidemaro Fujibayashi. I don't know what they are doing with Zelda now but it is not the same like it was.

scydrex

It's a video game, a video game that will be better than most of the $70 PS5 and Xbox Series X games out there. How is it any less deserving of a $70 price tag? Cause graphics?
By graphics no but for me by cost production of the game or budget. I don't pay 60 or 70 for any game really only a exception.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I already pre ordered it for less than $60 but, this is certainly surprising news they could at least had waited until next gen

Tomorrow will be interesting

Last edited:
It’s coming. First party and even most AAA games for Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony will end up being $70. This could be an error, but I guarantee Nintendo is definitely thinking about it. It just feels funny to me paying $70 for essentially a mid to high end PS3/X360 game in appearance and performance. Not to mention Nintendo games rarely go on sale or typically have diminutive discounts. Hopefully people will keep that same energy for Nintendo like they displayed for Sony when their games went up to $70 if this is legitimate.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man, this industry really is something else. I get that the game has had a 6 year dev cycle but this is a relatively small team working on PS3 quality graphics and production values AT BEST. Hell, i wouldnt even compare this to Uncharted games which had to have a lot of mocap done for their cutscenes and hire expensive voice talent.

They are doing it for the same reason everyone else is. They know people will pay anything for it. They wouldve charged $100 for it if they could get away with it.

BlakeofT

It really won't bother me at all if I can use a voucher on it. But if you can't... why re-introduce them when I bet many expect them to be able to apply to this game?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Was gonna happen eventually. Inflation, it's inevitable..

I don't get it. If US$ 70 is now the price for AAA releases on PS5/XSX, why not Zelda? In terms of production, it's an AAAA game.

That being said, it will hurt especially for people outside the US, considering the value of the dollar and all the distortions in exchange rate these days.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Jokes aside, I have no issue with this. As others have said, inflation above all else, then at its very core - what will the market tolerate? They'll tolerate $70, that's for damn sure. A lot of people will hate it, but they will pay it.

However, the cynical side of me thinks; they just reported some pretty bad numbers...I can't help but think this is a way to prop up their business for what will probably be another bad quarter until we hit summer.

Last edited:
£59.99 here.

I'll fucking pay it without any hesitation. BOTW is one of favourite games of all time. It could be £69.99 or £79.99 and I'd still pay it.

And I'm not the only one who will buy it. BOTW has sold 29,000,000 copies making it the 4th best selling game on the 3rd best selling console of all time. So I think it's safe to say it'll sell like crazy.

Don't wanna pay the price? Then don't. Wait for a sale or used copies. While you do that I'll be playing the shit right out the game.

Top Bottom