• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

Connxtion

Used a balloon, a plane, it says im right on it, but still cant see it on top or below me. Where in the world is this? The one by lookout landing
c3jWHRh.png
It’s really really high in the sky. Put a marker on it and look straight up (towards the marker) from the temple of time. You will see your marker.

It’s really really high in the sky. Put a marker on it and look straight up (towards the marker) from the temple of time. You will see your marker.
Is it really there ? No point to go to it though, right since there is no tablet?

Definitely going to check again when I get home, even though it's pointless. 😆

Last edited:

Connxtion

Is it really there ? No point to go to it though, right since there is no tablet?

Definitely going to check again when I get home, even though it's pointless. 😆
oOmMUGW.jpg

Will see if I can get up there. I have been others and
and says I can’t translate them or they fall from the sky

Edit:
You can get up there, need batteries 😂 and the thing you want is there too.
xKWb6vY.jpg

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Done.105 hours. Great.
I think I’ve played 24 hours and last night I realized I left lookout for the quests and never went back. I left Yukon days ago. He keeps bugging me to finish the investigation.

Made a huge loop around the north to the east. Half the map is mapped out and waifu Purah is like thanks for checking that out I’m busy. I was gone for weeks lady.

Now I’m updating pad because I think some travel medallions and things would be nice.

Still only rocking 4 hearts and working on my third stamina wheel. I’ve heard this gets easy so I’ll just upgrade my armor and keep my hearts low.

Nydius

I agree. I dug out my envelop of NFC stickers I bought of all the Zelda amiiibos about 5 years ago and they have been a godsend in this game.
Even better, the gear seems to level up as you progress.
I'm not sure it scales or if it's completely random.

I'm deep into the game now and I'm still getting random level 7 Knight's Broadswords and level 8 bows (Sparrow, I think, from the Revali amiibo). But then I'll get random high level stuff like a 19* Cobble Crusher, like the first one I got, or a 12 Zora Spear with Strong Fusion (which is insane with a high fusion item in a wet climate area).

But beyond the gear, just having gobs of materials thrown at me once a day has been a godsend. I don't have to worry about running around hunting poor creatures for meat, especially when the Wolf Link amiibo sometimes randomly drops ridiculous amounts of raw and cooked meats.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I think I’ve played 24 hours and last night I realized I left lookout for the quests and never went back. I left Yukon days ago. He keeps bugging me to finish the investigation.

Made a huge loop around the north to the east. Half the map is mapped out and waifu Purah is like thanks for checking that out I’m busy. I was gone for weeks lady.

Now I’m updating pad because I think some travel medallions and things would be nice.

Still only rocking 4 hearts and working on my third stamina wheel. I’ve heard this gets easy so I’ll just upgrade my armor and keep my hearts low.
My focus was shrines the majority of my play. Not because of upgrade but just because they are fun. Combat shrines on BotW was cheap to be honest. In TotK they are different and fun to do.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I'm not sure it scales or if it's completely random.

I'm deep into the game now and I'm still getting random level 7 Knight's Broadswords and level 8 bows (Sparrow, I think, from the Revali amiibo). But then I'll get random high level stuff like a 19* Cobble Crusher, like the first one I got, or a 12 Zora Spear with Strong Fusion (which is insane with a high fusion item in a wet climate area).

But beyond the gear, just having gobs of materials thrown at me once a day has been a godsend. I don't have to worry about running around hunting poor creatures for meat, especially when the Wolf Link amiibo sometimes randomly drops ridiculous amounts of raw and cooked meats.
Open the materials and sort by fuse power. Drop the material and fuse it with the weapons. Alternatively fuse weapons with other weapons.

daveonezero

Banned
My focus was shrines the majority of my play. Not because of upgrade but just because they are fun. Combat shrines on BotW was cheap to be honest. In TotK they are different and fun to do.
Yeah I basically went for the towers and shrines that I ran into.

Gathering resources and diving into caves if I found them

I went to the depths for the first time and found it quite difficult with my 4 hearts. I’ll need some good food buffs and better armor. I spent a lot of resources clearing out a few camps down there and getting a three light roots.

The shrines have been ok. I feel like I picked the basic combat ones later. I did do one that was a challenge sort of like eventide where they took all my items but it wasn’t very difficult.

Haven’t run into anything that I did t complete. I know for sure I’ve messed some up but was able to find another solution without restarting.

Nankatsu

Where do you get clothes for the wind temple? It's the first temple I'm tackling and well, I'm scarce both in heating potions and clothes that help me stay warm.

This Is Fine GIF

jorgejjvr

oOmMUGW.jpg

Will see if I can get up there. I have been others and
and says I can’t translate them or they fall from the sky

Edit:
You can get up there, need batteries 😂 and the thing you want is there too.
xKWb6vY.jpg
Oh wow lol. Gonna have to try with batteries

Did you use balloons from the surface, some kind of flying device? Where did you start from, temple of time?

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Almost updated my game without checking what it did. I haven't felt the need to do any duping yet but I do remember how annoying it was to farm Star Fragments to upgrade some armor in BotW, so I think I'm going to dupe a few of those.
You can cheese that by setting camp fire on high mountain place and sitting to night. Then then just glide to that star.

daveonezero

Banned
Where do you get clothes for the wind temple? It's the first temple I'm tackling and well, I'm scarce both in heating potions and clothes that help me stay warm.

This Is Fine GIF
The Rito temple?

There are cold resist pants on the First sky island. Then either buy a piece from the rito shop or put a ruby on your shield.

Or use food.

Connxtion

Oh wow lol. Gonna have to try with batteries

Did you use balloons from the surface, some kind of flying device? Where did you start from, temple of time?
Temple of time, 4 fans, a steering stick, battery and a gyro thing (so I didn’t tip) and 2 large zonai charges.

I couldn’t do anything up there mind 😂

Oberstein

It's super-easy to get the hero/wild/time tunic but to get the caps, you have to go to the deepest depths of the underworld. :messenger_astonished:

I'm not taking off the Master Sword until I've got the iconic green tunic.

Last edited:
You can cheese that by setting camp fire on high mountain place and sitting to night. Then then just glide to that star.
Yeah I remember doing something like that in BotW. I'd rather not spend time farming that again, especially with Diablo 4 around the corner. Trying to finish this up but there's still so much to do and see 😫

R6Rider

Gold Member
Only completed one temple so far (Wind). Is that one considered good?

Because that was terrible.

Planning to do Fire next.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

The rito one? It's the best one....these dungeons are more about the journey, not the destination. Loved how you got there with all the flying boats, and boss fight was dope

What part do you consider horrible, that the dungeon is short?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
The rito one? It's the best one....these dungeons are more about the journey, not the destination. Loved how you got there with all the flying boats, and boss fight was dope

What part do you consider horrible, that the dungeon is short?
I found the getting there a bit dull, just basic platforming and bouncing from ship to ship.

Once there you just wander a round a boring environment to activate switches. The boss looked cool, but it was stupid easy and that's with using only diving to attack.

For one of the big moments in the game it was completely underwhelming. Not to mention the lame reward.

jorgejjvr

I found the getting there a bit dull, just basic platforming and bouncing from ship to ship.

Once there you just wander a round a boring environment to activate switches. The boss looked cool, but it was stupid easy and that's with using only diving to attack.

For one of the big moments in the game it was completely underwhelming. Not to mention the lame reward.
That was actually the coolest dungeon journey overall for me lol yikes, followed second with the gorons. These might not be for you unfortunately then

Aldric

No need for that animosity, he might find other parts of the game enjoyable enough.

Just because he didn't find that section epic (I did!) doesn't make his opinion any less valid.
No animosity whatsoever, but if he seriously thinks one of the most mechanically creative and visually impressive sections in the game is "a bit dull" he's not going to find anything else worth the effort.

Mozzarella

Just finished two major regions so far, loving the game a lot, taking it slow and doing the adventure at my own pace.
This is definitely going to become one of my favorite games, i think the open world design is immaculate, S tier for sure.

Pejo

Man, if the depths had more unique encounters, it could be almost a whole game in itself. I love how it interacts with the world above, and even the sky islands. Imagine a 4 story tall superboss that just is wandering around down there randomly, and he doesn't regen health but spawns lots of smaller enemies and hits really hard. And you chip away at him for a HP limit or timer limit and then he warps away. Never knowing when he's just around the corner. Maybe at some point he's laying down and you climb on him without realizing it, and he stands up and swats you.

Such potential, and I love how you gradually light it up.

Anyways, I ignored it for probably the first 50 hours, but i've been digging in lately and having a really good time down there. Finding some cool shit too that I thought were locked behind Amiibos, which is good. Exclusive physical DLC is shit.

Also found that the huge black horse is also in this game without Amiibo crap. Good stuff Nintendo.

GymWolf

How you get there is cool and the boss is cool looking, but yeah dungeons are just a bit better than divine beasts and bosses are absolute chumps.
The rewards are way better tho.

I'm having way more fun in the open world.

Pejo

In my opinion, the Gerudo temple and boss was the best of all 4 elemental ones. Still, it felt like they were just 5 shrines glued together more than a cohesive, well thought out dungeon like classic Zelda. I wish they would have just locked a special weapon type or ability or something in each temple so we could gain that ability and use it to get through the temple itself, like we used to get. I don't have too many complaints about this new entry, but they still haven't made the dungeons rewarding or satisfying enough yet.

GymWolf

In my opinion, the Gerudo temple and boss was the best of all 4 elemental ones. Still, it felt like they were just 5 shrines glued together more than a cohesive, well thought out dungeon like classic Zelda. I wish they would have just locked a special weapon type or ability or something in each temple so we could gain that ability and use it to get through the temple itself, like we used to get. I don't have too many complaints about this new entry, but they still haven't made the dungeons rewarding or satisfying enough yet.
Really? i though it was the worst.

Small, visually uninteresting and super easy (but i still have to do the water temple)

I think the companions are a good enough reward.

Hardensoul

Open the materials and sort by fuse power. Drop the material and fuse it with the weapons. Alternatively fuse weapons with other weapons.
I enjoyed the ones that took away your stuff, basically naked. Can't say these are better than BotW shrines yet. Unpopular opinion I liked the Gyro shrines. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_beaming:

Pejo

Really? i though it was the worst.

Small, visually uninteresting and super easy (but i still have to do the water temple)
I thought Water was the easiest one. My least favorite overall though was the Wind temple.
I think the companions are a good enough reward.
I guess so. I just wish they were utilized for more in the open world other than wind gust of course which was awesome and I regret not getting it first. Or if you could just use a button or button combo to start their abilities without having to run around and touch them while they try to avoid being in your way. I'd use Riju;s power a lot more if I could just tap a button while aiming my bow, for instance. Another reason why I think the gust is the best power, it's just ready when you can/want to use it.

It also doesn't help that the companion powers use in the dungeon was limited to turning on whatever flavored switch you had and the boss.

Nydius

It's super-easy to get the hero/wild/time tunic but to get the caps, you have to go to the deepest depths of the underworld. :messenger_astonished:

I'm not taking off the Master Sword until I've got the iconic green tunic.
Thanks to the amiibo, I'm sporting the whole Windwaker look. It's also one of the easiest (relatively speaking) ones to upgrade because it only requires opals and star fragments. Opals drop pretty frequently and they're also very common chest 'rewards' for amiibo scans. By the time I got all three pieces from random amiibo rewards, I had enough opals and star fragments to upgrade it to two stars.

I'm pretty much wearing it whenever I don't need specialized sets... but I'm switching a lot. The set bonus for the glide suit has made me lazy when jumping into chasms... Just put on the set and high speed head dive until I hit the bottom. Then switch back to my regular (or Miner) set.

GymWolf

I thought Water was the easiest one. My least favorite overall though was the Wind temple.

I guess so. I just wish they were utilized for more in the open world other than wind gust of course which was awesome and I regret not getting it first. Or if you could just use a button or button combo to start their abilities without having to run around and touch them while they try to avoid being in your way. I'd use Riju;s power a lot more if I could just tap a button while aiming my bow, for instance. Another reason why I think the gust is the best power, it's just ready when you can/want to use it.

It also doesn't help that the companion powers use in the dungeon was limited to turning on whatever flavored switch you had and the boss.
The wind temple has a cool way to get there but the dungeon was whatever, the boss was cool looking and it was cool to fight while gliding the wind but he was an absolute chump.

The desert one has that ultra-lame "protect the city" segement that onestly felt like a joke since the zombies represent exactly zero danger for every dude with working hands.

For now the biggest flaw in the game personally, even more than breakable weapons is the meh quality of bosses and normal enemies, in more than 40 hours the only decent boss was a 3 headed dragon (that has the same hit the head to stunlock and beat his ass strategy of all bosses basically) and the lynel as a normal mob.

All the other enemies are just so stupid or slow, like the new monkey boglin, they laugh for 5 sec while hanging, maybe do a shitty attack, then laugh for another 5 sec, if you hit them with an arrow they fall down where they have another long ass animation when they grab their asses and you can beat them with ease, a lot of enemies have these cute animations where they just waste time that just make them look retarded, the fact they lose their weapons so easily and gave their back to you to recover their weapon is another one, i know that this is supposedly be emergent gameplay but it make feels all the enemies super cheap, their only redeeming quality is that they hit like trucks, also they just get stunlocked and knocked down too easily.
The bosses like hynox and rock giant are so slow and easy to beat that i have hard times believing that someone could have any problem with them if they played souls game or action games in general in the past.

You are a monster hunter fanboy so you know your shit with combat systems, am i saying something untrue or unfair? because i feel like in bizzarro world reading some comments about the combat in this game...

I still enjoy the combat because of the physics and emergent stuff that can happen (enemy being not very bright play well into the comedic side of combat), but this is far from the pinnacle when it comes to pure action combat and enemy quality, no matter how many time consuming, wacky ways you have to kill a lynel, 95% of time you don't actually fight like that, you just shoot an arrow in his head, mount him and beat his ass or avoid the charge and flurry combo him.

But i don't wanna sound too negative toward the game, there is no perfect game in existence and even the best have flaws, the fact that it could be my goty (and i'm a combat centric gamer) speaks volume on how much of the other stuff it get right, i just wanted to lift this weight from my stomach and i know that you more than other people can understand what i'm saying.

Dunkey released a new hilarious video btw

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
For me all dungeon bosses were brilliant. All dungeon aside from Fire were great. A long and fun side adventure in the depth can be entirely ignored even though so much effort went there that any other dev would just make it on your face all the time because look at what we did.
I enjoyed the ones that took away your stuff, basically naked. Can't say these are better than BotW shrines yet. Unpopular opinion I liked the Gyro shrines. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_beaming:
Yeah those are combat shrines. They are great in comparison to BotW which was just a Guardian Scout with more weapons.

GymWolf

For me all dungeon bosses were brilliant. All dungeon aside from Fire were great. A long and fun side adventure in the depth can be entirely ignored even though so much effort went there that any other dev would just make it on your face all the time because look at what we did.

Yeah those are combat shrines. They are great in comparison to BotW which was just a Guardian Scout with more weapons.
Brilliant?

So let's review the 3 i fought (just trying to understand what you finded brilliant, you can enjoy them all you want dude)

the wind bosses has clear as sun weakpoints, you can fly easily around the arena and use tulin for fast air movement, he barely has any attack like when it go into the portal and then come from low to high and tulin tells you that so it's super easy to avoid and he is slow.
you can't even get damage touching his upper body so you can risk getting close to him to aim without muc of a worry.
Great looking boss, cool way to fight him, challenge level abysmal.

rock boss, the dude has a easy to avoid stomp in the first phase, i never saw any other of his attacks because if you are fast you can break 2 of his legs before he does something, second phase he throws the rocks at you, you get free by using the rock dude or a bomb arrow and then you don't even have to aim with precision when he is hanging (at least i didn't), just use the rock dude and you are probably gonna make him ready for a bash.

decent loking boss, not much in terms of challenge or interesting moves.

desert boss, he has 2 attacks, he spits something that you can avoid by just running in a direction, and the tornado that you can avoid by running laterally, then you just use the thunder girl to stunlock him and beat his ass, the zombie he release are a non-problem because they are super slow, i think that i still have to get hit by them once in the game, he also release a couple of flying zombies but yet again, were they really a problem to you? i smashed his ass without even worrying about destroying the pink nests because the zombies were just unconsequential, and i remember people bashing other games's bosses for using cheap tricks like trash mobs, so...

Again, am i saying something untrue or unfair here? i'm not the most skilled player in the universe and i had no problems whatsoever, people in here more skilled than me should beat these bosses with even more ease.

Just please don't respond like your typical N fanboy, i'm a slow writer and it take time to express what i have to say in a foreign language (sorry ifi called out your post, i thought you were kinda responding to me)

I died more times yesterday in one of those combat shrines (the one where you have like 6 archers with ice and thunder arrows and a big one on top) that i did with these 3 bosses combined (so like 3-4 times)

P.s. i'm going out so i'm not sure when i'm gonna respond to you if you wanna engage in this discussion.

Last edited:

Nydius

I enjoyed the ones that took away your stuff, basically naked.

I honestly hated every single one of those. I hate when you have progression based games where upgrading your abilities and gear is central to the core of the game and then they randomly throw you into a scenario where it's (almost) all taken away from you. It aggravates the shit out of me when a game randomly takes away dozens or hundreds of hours of progress to create an illusion of challenge.

And none of them were all that fun. The combat challenge with vehicles and the stealth one were particularly annoying.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Brilliant?

So let's review the 3 i fought:

the wind bosses has clear as sun weakpoints, you can fly easily around the arena and use tulin for fast air movement, he barely has any attack like when it go into the portal and then come from low to high and tulin tells you that so it's super easy to avoid and he is slow.
you can't even get damage touching his upper body so if you can risk getting close to him to aim
Great looking boss, cool way to fight him, challenge level abysmal.

rock boss, the dude has a easy to avoid stomp in the first phase, i never saw any other of his attacks because if you are fast you can break 2 of his legs before he does something, second phase he throws the rocks at you, you get free by using the rock dude or a bomb arrow and then you don't even have to aim with precision (at least i didn't), just use the rock dude and you are probably gonna make him ready for a bash.

nice loking boss, not much in terms of challenge or interesting moves.

desert boss, he has 2 attacks, he spits something that you can avoid by just running in a direction, and the tornado that you can avoid by running laterally, then you just use the thunder girl to stunlock him and beat his ass, the zombie he release are a non-problem because they are super slow, i think that i still have to get hit by them once in the game, he also release a couple of flying zombies but yet again, were they really a problem to you? i smashed his ass without even worrying about destroying the pink nests because the zombies were just unconsequential, and i remember people bashing other games's bosses for using cheap tricks like trash mobs, so...

Again, am i saying something untrue here? i'm not the most skilled player in the universe and i had no problems whatsoever, people in here more skilled than me should beat these bosses with one hand.

Just please don't respond like your typical N fanboy, i'm a slow writer and it take time to express what i have to say in a foreign language.

I died more times yesterday in one of those combat shrines (the one where you have like 6 archers with ice and thunder arrows and a big one on top) that i did with these 3 bosses combined (so like 3-4 times)
Hard=/=fun
Easy=/=boring

The boss is a puzzle. Figuring that puzzle and win the boss. Like most of the bosses in TotK. The final boss is a decent challenge and if you want movement and pattern study then go for Lynels. This isn’t Souls. It is not about reaction time and this is not new for Zelda or Nintendo games as this has been Nintendo design philosophy since forever.

Pejo

The wind temple has a cool way to get there but the dungeon was whatever, the boss was cool looking and it was cool to fight while gliding the wind but he was an absolute chump.
Agreed, lots of great setup for the meat of it to be kinda 'meh'.
The desert one has that ultra-lame "protect the city" segement that onestly felt like a joke since the zombies represent exactly zero danger for every dude with working hands.
Could have been a great segment if, as you said, it had an element of danger to it. The enemies were just too slow and ineffective for it to matter.
For now the biggest flaw in the game personally, even more than breakable weapons is the meh quality of bosses and normal enemies, in more than 40 hours the only decent boss was a 3 headed dragon (that has the same hit the head to stunlock and beat his ass strategy of all bosses basically) and the lynel as a normal mob.
Did you fight the Ice Gleeok yet? (3 headed ice dragon) I thought he was a fun fight to figure out his mechanics near death. But yes, BotW and TotK's combat is definitely its weakest part. It's a shame they didn't have a team of guys specialize in making different weapons have unique movesets. That could have saved a lot of it. Like Gerudo Dagger have multiple fast hitting attacks, but maybe add elemental damage. 2H swords could have big windup damage etc. As it is, there are literally only 3 movesets in the game - 1h weapon, 2h weapon, and spear. Not much to get excited about there, and I'm still confident that this is the reason they left durability basically untouched from BotW. It hides how piss poor the combat is if your weapon breaks 3x an encounter. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I also hate the fuse mechanic for melee weapons. For arrows and shields I think it's a cool mechanic and very useful/interesting. For melee weapons it's just another "upkeep" or "pause the gameplay for a while and fiddle around in menus" stopper.
All the other enemies are just so stupid or slow, like the new monkey boglin, they laugh for 5 sec while hanging, maybe do a shitty attack, then laugh for another 5 sec, if you hit them with an arrow they fall down where they have another long ass animation when they grab their asses and you can beat them with ease, a lot of enemies have these cute animations where they just waste time that just make them look retarded, the fact they lose their weapons so easily and gave their back to you to recover their weapon is another one, i know that this is supposedly be emergent gameplay but it make feels all the enemies super cheap, their only redeeming quality is that they hit like trucks, also they just get stunlocked and knocked down too easily.
The bosses like hynox and rock giant are so slow and easy to beat that i have hard times believing that someone could have any problem with them if they played souls game or action games in general in the past.
I think if the enemies were too aggressive or fast, it would again highlight how bad the core combat gameplay is. The longer I play the game, the more fun I have building stuff like attack drones to take out enemy camps, simply because the building mechanics are more fun than the combat ones. I love the new "boss" enemies that will organize the peons into formations and combat roles, but they didn't do enough with it. As it is, since I play primarily on emulator, I just patched in infinite durability and it made the overall experience so much better. When I'm playing on my Switch though, it's a real slog.
You are a monster hunter fanboy so you know your shit with combat systems, am i saying something untrue or unfair? because i feel like in bizzarro world reading some comments about the combat in this game...
Totally valid criticism. People who engage with the physics based gameplay and building mechanics are definitely having a lot more fun than us "simple" melee combat peons. It only gets a pass from me because of how amazing the rest of the package is. Also, my amount of usage of the bow has never been higher, and it really makes me appreciate the gyro aiming. Such a great system, where you do the manual aiming with your sticks and then fine tune the shot with the gyro. Wish every game with aiming had that option.

Top Bottom