• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Maybe I'm playing the game wrong but are you expected to make repeated trips back to the great sky island for device capsules? I've found very few devices in the overworld and the ones that I do find seem very purposefully placed for a puzzle nearby.

I also haven't found any way to make it
to other sky islands yet.

Is this a "shut up and keep playing" type of question or ...

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Maybe I'm playing the game wrong but are you expected to make repeated trips back to the great sky island for device capsules? I've found very few devices in the overworld and the ones that I do find seem very purposefully placed for a puzzle nearby.

Yes my friends

There are only a handful on the mainland. As far as getting to Sky Islands.. use the towers, use recall on fallen blocks maybe. They are common to find on the sky isles.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't get why some prefer the old style of puzzles to BOTW/TOTK one... I get wanting bigger temples and more varied progression/tasks in them but the way they are designed with a "you deal with it" approach is so much more enjoyable to me.

BTW the game has a clear problem nobody has mentioned: Companions.

The way you use skills is just so uncomfortable and mostly useless, and you'll accidentally trigger them wanting to pick a group of items very often, how didn't somebody caught this on play testing?

Also, once a fire chu appeared without me noticing, I died because the bastard bird attacked it automatically and it exploded right by my side with low health. Jeez.

Not to mention the goron one is dumb af, he won't follow link properly and will stay away for several meters very often when I need him and he won't come to me no matter what.

Shit design, honestly, which is a shame because they're very useful when they work.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I made an assault on that mob fortress in Hyrule field with the Skytower in it. I'm early level with only four hearts and basic stamina.

Cleared almost everything out and it was a good challenge. Only thing left was a Boss Bokoblin and a handful of blues who hadn't seen me yet. As I was setting an explosive barrel trap the Blood Moon jingle starts and suddenly it's a race against the clock.

I unlock the tower so at least I can fast travel back if the worst happens. Then I go back to the fight, and the Blood Moon hits.

Cut back to the game and I'm surrounded by like every monster in the fortress. Needless to say I booked it into the tower and never looked back.

This was good shit.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I made an assault on that mob fortress in Hyrule field with the Skytower in it. I'm early level with only four hearts and basic stamina.

Cleared almost everything out and it was a good challenge. Only thing left was a Boss Bokoblin and a handful of blues who hadn't seen me yet. As I was setting an explosive barrel trap the Blood Moon jingle starts and suddenly it's a race against the clock.

I unlock the tower so at least I can fast travel back if the worst happens. Then I go back to the fight, and the Blood Moon hits.

Cut back to the game and I'm surrounded by like every monster in the fortress. Needless to say I booked it into the tower and never looked back.

This was good shit.
Tried playing another open worlds today and it felt like total crud in comparison

Nopes went back to TOTK this crazy single players MMO like experiences with hundreds and hundreds hours of contents

Nydius

The way you use skills is just so uncomfortable and mostly useless, and you'll accidentally trigger them wanting to pick a group of items very often, how didn't somebody caught this on play testing?

Nobody? I brought up the same point up a few pages back.

Companions are by far the worst part of the combat and pretty much the main reason I’d dock it a point if I were giving it a review score. They constantly get in the way, or they constantly run away forcing you to stop mid combat and horse whistle to rally them back to you, only for them to instantly take off running away again. I lost count of the number of times I tried to use Riju’s lightning ability only to get cockblocked by Sidon running in front of me. Or the number of times I inadvertently sent Yunobo flinging off a random direction. I didn’t even bother using the Spirit Sage unless I was required to and Tulin’s ability was useless in combat.

Their abilities were generally weak even with upgrading them with Sage’s Will. I had figured out a more effective way of dispatching Gibdo before even starting the Gerudo quest line (sapphire and ruby rods).

I kept the companions out mostly as aggro magnets. With well fused weapons and upgraded gear, it was almost always easier to simply fight and let them act as distractions.

Last edited:

Aldric

That's a pretty common complain, I mentioned it in my thoughts about the game. Indeed it's a trainwreck in terms of ergonomy, it's a bit better if you deactivate some of them and only have a couple on the battlefield with you but if you have all five summoned good luck reliably using the ability you need.

I disagree about them being useless though, they have quite a bit of versatility which is why it's so frustrating. Tullin is pretty much required for aerial traversal, Sidon gives you super armor, a large long range attack and synergizes with Zora weapons that get a damage buff in wet conditions, Yunobo can be spammed when riding a vehicle and allows you to ave bomb flowers during cave exploration when you need to break walls to advance, Riju has an AoE attack and can do massive damage when combined with a critical headshot etc etc.

Robb

Gold Member

I brought up the same point up a few pages back.

I mentioned it in my thoughts about the game.
Yeah I’ve also mentioned this. Seems to annoy most people.

They should’ve definitely just put the abilities to a button. Feels very unreliable when you have to run around and look for the guy you need. Especially when they’re all out. Not to mention when you’re in a tight space and they teleport in and out and the guy you don’t need is the one that appears while the rest don’t fit in the space…

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I don't get why some prefer the old style of puzzles to BOTW/TOTK one... I get wanting bigger temples and more varied progression/tasks in them but the way they are designed with a "you deal with it" approach is so much more enjoyable to me.

Also, once a fire chu appeared without me noticing, I died because the bastard bird attacked it automatically and it exploded right by my side with low health. Jeez.

Not to mention the goron one is dumb af, he won't follow link properly and will stay away for several meters very often when I need him and he won't come to me no matter what.

Shit design, honestly, which is a shame because they're very useful when they work.
I get tired of using the same tools over and over through small shrines

People complained about only using items inside the dungeons, but its enjoyable because you get to play with a bigger variety through the game

I put Tears of the Kingdom on rest to continue replaying Skyward Sword,other than the nightmareish motion controls surprisingly i been enjoying the later more,its like a curse why i like linear games more than open world! less filler, but its one section through the next,the pacing feels completely different and there are more 'fun' puzzles/dungeons and action ,also the art and music👌

With TotK it starts strong, but after awhile i feel like im going through the motions

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

People complained about only using items inside the dungeons, but its enjoyable because you get to play with a bigger variety through the game

I put Tears of the Kingdom on rest to continue replaying Skyward Sword,other than the nightmareish motion controls surprisingly i been enjoying the later more,its like a curse why i like linear games more than open world! less filler, but its one section through the next,the pacing feels completely different and there are more 'fun' puzzles/dungeons and action ,also the art and music👌

With TotK it starts strong, but after awhile i feel like im going through the motions
Proofs that 1 in every 3 millions people like Skyward Sword better than TOTK

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can‘t say I agree, I current put over 150+ hours I'm still always discovering something new or doing fun quests. i don’t ever see myself getting bored of this game.

What are the rules with masks and stealth? it randomly works like only 30% of times.
Should work 100% as long as all enemies are of the same type. I have never had an issue with them so far, although from what I heard Lynels are more suspicious than others (haven't tried their mask yet).
Won't work against something that's already agro'ed you though, or during the gauntlets/coliseums in the Depths.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nobody? I brought up the same point up a few pages back.

Companions are by far the worst part of the combat and pretty much the main reason I’d dock it a point if I were giving it a review score. They constantly get in the way, or they constantly run away forcing you to stop mid combat and horse whistle to rally them back to you, only for them to instantly take off running away again. I lost count of the number of times I tried to use Riju’s lightning ability only to get cockblocked by Sidon running in front of me. Or the number of times I inadvertently sent Yunobo flinging off a random direction. I didn’t even bother using the Spirit Sage unless I was required to and Tulin’s ability was useless in combat.

Their abilities were generally weak even with upgrading them with Sage’s Will. I had figured out a more effective way of dispatching Gibdo before even starting the Gerudo quest line (sapphire and ruby rods).

I kept the companions out mostly as aggro magnets. With well fused weapons and upgraded gear, it was almost always easier to simply fight and let them act as distractions.
Oh, I meant reviewers and youtubers... The mechanic is soooo badly implemented it's incredible how it's even part of this game.

That's a pretty common complain, I mentioned it in my thoughts about the game. Indeed it's a trainwreck in terms of ergonomy, it's a bit better if you deactivate some of them and only have a couple on the battlefield with you but if you have all five summoned good luck reliably using the ability you need.

I disagree about them being useless though, they have quite a bit of versatility which is why it's so frustrating. Tullin is pretty much required for aerial traversal, Sidon gives you super armor, a large long range attack and synergizes with Zora weapons that get a damage buff in wet conditions, Yunobo can be spammed when riding a vehicle and allows you to ave bomb flowers during cave exploration when you need to break walls to advance, Riju has an AoE attack and can do massive damage when combined with a critical headshot etc etc.
Didn't read beyond the bolded because I have only gotten the bird boy and goron. But yeah, didn't mean the skills were actually useless but the way you use them... When you need them, you better be lucky to have them around and when you don't need them, they're all fucking around. You can't even combine them quickly in combat to make fast action combos because the way they're used, that alone would fix some combat complaints I have.

I don't get this, I don't think it's a bad thing personally, but if it bothers you too much you can try thinking more outside of the box?

Also, I had the opposite experience than yours, didn't want to play it now but the hype won me a day before it came out lol, then the first few hours at sky were... hmmm pretty meh, honestly.

But as I played more and more the game won me and now I don't want to drop it. I helps a lot that I started playing the game as BOTW but as I learnt it's far from the same thing and started using game new traversal possibilities, now I go to places without exploring much, directly, I avoid most stuff but the ones I want to do myself, I like exploring caves and going on horse which I didn't like on BOTW, I have shrines I activated but didn't complete, I'll them later when I feel like so... The game has so much you can do "as you feel" and never get bored... There are many ways to play for different moods/players, and that's before taking into account how to approach each situation.

Hell, I'm not even 100% reticent to exploring, I do so, just less, it's relaxing, then I feel like reaching a place quickly and look ways to get there without walking/climbing so much as I did in BOTW. It definitely grew on me beyond my own expectations lol.

daveonezero

Banned
Holy shit what are these hand monsters
Legit had 3 jump scares from 3 new enemies in this game. Didn't expect them at all.

What are you all doing for a horse? I started this game on a different profile than most my hours on BoTW and didn't get any of my good horses to pull over. Mainly the royal white one.

I hate the look of the gold one. Is it more just pick one that I like the color of deal with it? I found it fun to hook up a cart and use the horse to pull things. Except the gold one is a bitch in the pull stat.

Horse stats I know I can upgrade the horse to max stats. with the Horse God.

I can‘t say I agree, I current put over 150+ hours I'm still always discovering something new or doing fun quests. i don’t ever see myself getting bored of this game.
Yeah I don't know my hour count but gosh I feel like I've barley scratched the surface of this game. I'm having a hard time avoiding spoilers or later game content because I love to discuss the game. Its been a fun ride and I haven't touched the temples.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve used horses about as much as in BotW, which was not at all.

I think I’ve only used them to complete side quests in this one.

Not sure what it is but I don’t really enjoy controlling them. Feels clunky.

shubik

Just got to the fire temple after doing only side quests the last couple of days. How fucking good is this game?!?! Jumping into the volcano and the whole lory ride up the mountain was so much fun. Now a quick food break and time to finish the last temple.

daveonezero

Banned
I’ve used horses about as much as in BotW, which was not at all.

I think I’ve only used them to complete side quests in this one.

Not sure what it is but I don’t really enjoy controlling them. Feels clunky.
Idk I like them. It was cool trying to put logs on the cart or use them for koroks. And of course for the logs I ended up just walking them down the hill when I had about 10 of them attached to each other.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I spoke to the bird at the broken bridge near rito and now he wants me to go visit all stables which means backtracking. My horse has fucked off so I Fast travelled to the ones I had discovered and now there seems to be a side quest for each stable

When am i ever going to get out of the tutorial area? I'm about 20 hours in lol. I think i'm making progress then I need to turn back and the game keeps explaining things to me.

daveonezero

Banned
I spoke to the bird at the broken bridge near rito and now he wants me to go visit all stables which means backtracking. My horse has fucked off so I Fast travelled to the ones I had discovered and now there seems to be a side quest for each stable

When am i ever going to get out of the tutorial area? I'm about 20 hours in lol. I think i'm making progress then I need to turn back and the game keeps explaining things to me.
That isn't a tutorial its is a major quest line. Most of the shrines around Lookout are continued combat tutorials.

Unless you watch a bunch of videos or you played BoTW you are constantly going to be discovery new things in this game.

Hell I've played 200+ hours of BoTW and looked at a few "tips" videos and still figuring stuff out.

GymWolf

Should work 100% as long as all enemies are of the same type. I have never had an issue with them so far, although from what I heard Lynels are more suspicious than others (haven't tried their mask yet).
Won't work against something that's already agro'ed you though, or during the gauntlets/coliseums in the Depths.
In the depths it seems to work at random, i have to check if there is a tall boglin in the group next time but i swear it failed even with just regular boglins.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Struggling now to keep myself playing.

Two temples done, all towers activated, explored most of the map and experienced the majority of what the game has. At a certain point things started to feel like checklist. Might just push through to do the remaining temples and beat the main boss.

Same thing happened in BotW (albeit sooner in that game) where I was having lots of fun and it drastically falls off a cliff and there's no new surprises around the corner. Might take a break from it and come back later.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
What gives?

I read that my BotW horses would carry over and was looking forward to seeing them again.

But they haven't ...

I absolutely love the freedom the game gives you, but sometimes I wish they would "dumb it down" just a little bit. I just got the shrine detector. I've only done about 55 of those already as well as 2 dungeons lol. (And yes I know this is mainly my fault for not talking to characters right in the beginning of the game).

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I actually went to the final boss today and managed to beat it. Great fight
and it contained some stuff I feel like I should’ve seen coming from a mile away..

Great ending though, love the final gameplay sequence.

I still feel like I’m far from finished, time for some focused shrine hunting. There’s quite a few more to go for me.

AJUMP23

Finished 98 shrines so far. Enjoying it. Going to look for some new mainline quest to do. I exploring some ruins, and I am ruining some enemies days. Until the next blood moon.

Hardensoul

Same, Tulin keeps messing up my Lynel fights. When you get a chance to mount the Lynel, Tulin begins shooting him which makes the Lynel wake up quicker and you lose opportunity to mount the Lynel. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_face_screaming:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Same, Tulin keeps messing up my Lynel fights. When you get a chance to mount the Lynel, Tulin begins shooting him which makes the Lynel wake up quicker and you lose opportunity to mount the Lynel. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_face_screaming:
He also gusts the items fallen from enemies before I get a chance to take them.

Yeah, the companions are not done smart, i also have to run to get the lightning activated because she keeps moving fast.

Astral Dog

I don't get this, I don't think it's a bad thing personally, but if it bothers you too much you can try thinking more outside of the box?

Also, I had the opposite experience than yours, didn't want to play it now but the hype won me a day before it came out lol, then the first few hours at sky were... hmmm pretty meh, honestly.

But as I played more and more the game won me and now I don't want to drop it. I helps a lot that I started playing the game as BOTW but as I learnt it's far from the same thing and started using game new traversal possibilities, now I go to places without exploring much, directly, I avoid most stuff but the ones I want to do myself, I like exploring caves and going on horse which I didn't like on BOTW, I have shrines I activated but didn't complete, I'll them later when I feel like so... The game has so much you can do "as you feel" and never get bored... There are many ways to play for different moods/players, and that's before taking into account how to approach each situation.

Hell, I'm not even 100% reticent to exploring, I do so, just less, it's relaxing, then I feel like reaching a place quickly and look ways to get there without walking/climbing so much as I did in BOTW. It definitely grew on me beyond my own expectations lol.
Yeah, the game is pretty big and there is stuff to do,
I just don't enjoy it as much as past Zeldas, glad for the people who do, i get tired of the shrine aesthetic and music after hours,and building stuff becomes tedious, i don't enjoy the combat at all(not sure why, don't have any issue with past Zelda games)the controls are slightly clunky

Exploration is fun,for example i posted when a dragon appeared in front of me near Kakariko and i jumped to its back and took some rocks while it was flying 🐉

but eventually it goes from thinking 'i can't stop playing' to ' i want to play something else ' wich is rare for me , appreciate linear design when you play through a bunch of challenges and progress without much filler, sometimes with that little freedom to spice things up ,more variety in less time

these are my honest impressions , its interesting to compare them to others who been enjoying it much and call it the best game in X years ,i can see why, its a cool game just very picky about open world games

daveonezero

Banned
I absolutely love the freedom the game gives you, but sometimes I wish they would "dumb it down" just a little bit. I just got the shrine detector. I've only done about 55 of those already as well as 2 dungeons lol. (And yes I know this is mainly my fault for not talking to characters right in the beginning of the game).
This is like the only reason I looked at a few "videos" just to get those quests in my mind. Unlocking the pad abilities etc.

Hardensoul

I just don't enjoy it as much as past Zeldas, glad for the people who do, i get tired of the shrine aesthetic and music after hours,and building stuff becomes tedious, i don't enjoy the combat at all(not sure why, don't have any issue with past Zelda games)the controls are slightly clunky

Exploration is fun,for example i posted when a dragon appeared in front of me near Kakariko and i jumped to its back and took some rocks while it was flying 🐉

but eventually it goes from thinking 'i can't stop playing' to ' i want to play something else ' wich is rare for me , appreciate linear design when you play through a bunch of challenges and progress without much filler, sometimes with that little freedom to spice things up ,more variety in less time

these are my honest impressions , its interesting to compare them to others who been enjoying it much and call it the best game in X years ,i can see why, its a cool game just very picky about open world games
Can you explain what you mean by "filler"?

Kataploom

Gold Member

I can definitely relate to this, I hoped they diversified shrines aesthetic more and instead not only inside, but also outside, they look downgraded lol. But the actual challenges are just much better.

I can also relate to how you feel with the game, that's how I felt before it clicked and I left behind the BOTW play style. If it doesn't click with you, just drop it for a while, you're just not in the right mood for this game.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I get it, I actually took a while before beginning the main story but my original plan was to do that first (lol, couldn't believe myself) to get all skills and start exploring non-stop. But before that I wanted to unlock fairies and some health/stamina... so now I'm 55 hours in and have barely done 2 temples lol. I have to remind myself it's easier to traverse with the whole skillset but just can't help myself

Nydius

Can you explain what you mean by "filler"?
I'm not that poster but I could make an argument that the entire Depths were filler content because outside of two main story plot points the only reason it existed was for you to grind zoanite and crystalized charges. Other things that come to mind are the insane gear upgrade material requirements (though this was also an issue in BOTW), and the fact that about a quarter of the shrines were Rauru's Blessings.

There is a lot of padded content in the world and I can't fault anyone for taking issue with it. The only thing that makes it less egregious than a Ubisoft style game is that it's not littered with icons for every little thing. But a lot of the open world bloat is the same.

Chastten

Banned
Okay, 60 hours in and I just cleared the fourth temple. I unlocked all 4 fairies and maxed out a couple of gear sets, got 24 hearts and some pretty decent weapons and fuse materials. If this game is anything like Breath of the Wild I should be more than okay to beat the final stretch of the game plus the boss. We'll see!

I'm at 95 shrines right now, but I'll do the rest with a walkthrough this weekend. Also some obtuse sidequests that I can't be arsed with figuring out. I'm dumb. :p

That being said, I liked the fire temple. I couldn't figure out how to get to the key places, so I said, f it and I built some random flying machine and just flew there. Can't believe that actually worked. Not sure if that was the way it was meant to be finished, but whatever, it was fun!

daveonezero

Banned
I'm not that poster but I could make an argument that the entire Depths were filler content because outside of two main story plot points the only reason it existed was for you to grind zoanite and crystalized charges. Other things that come to mind are the insane gear upgrade material requirements (though this was also an issue in BOTW), and the fact that about a quarter of the shrines were Rauru's Blessings.

There is a lot of padded content in the world and I can't fault anyone for taking issue with it. The only thing that makes it less egregious than a Ubisoft style game is that it's not littered with icons for every little thing. But a lot of the open world bloat is the same.
What are games supposed to be then? Everything unlocked and given to you at the beginning?

Or is there some sort of balance in which you have a hardship that leads to some sort of reward?

The later is a game and i think this one does it well. How is giving you a light blessing for just finding the shrine travel point bloat? Most people will never find or do all the shrines. I think its nice. I usually just activate a bunch of shrines then when I feel like It i complete them. If I go to a blessing one I'm like sweet a potential gear item and a blessing. And all I had to do was wait through a loading screen.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

This is bad? You make it sound bad to have content that the player have options to do. The depths we never knew about, Nintendo never advertised it. It was mostly talk about the sky. But to our surprised the underground depth is huge.

Some players didn't like it but to others they enjoyed it. I got no view on it, I've just went in for the quest and just to finish the power wheel. All the building stuff seems optional, it looks more like game plus content to just fuck around later.

We all don't have same taste or view. Some like to just rush thru the story and be done, some like to take their time to finish the story. Some players like the side quest....so on and so on.

I rather the game have a lot of content or filler as some of you call it. This is better then held back DLC or pay DLC.

To me more content is good, it gives the players options.

daveonezero

Banned
This is bad? You make it sound bad to have content that the player have options to do. The depths we never knew about, Nintendo never advertised it. It was mostly talk about the sky. But to our surprised the underground depth is huge.

Some players didn't like it but to others they enjoyed it. I got no view on it, I've just went in for the quest and just to finish the power wheel. All the building stuff seems optional, it looks more like game plus content to just fuck around later.

We all don't have same taste or view. Some like to just rush thru the story and be done, some like to take their time to finish the story. Some players like the side quest....so on and so on.

I rather the game have a lot of content or filler as some of you call it. This is better then held back DLC or pay DLC.

To me more content is good, it gives the players options.
exactly. This game is so big and filled with options 2 players can experience and do thing completely differently. One players tactics might never be found by another players. Each person will learn and progress differently according to their play style. I think it is another work of genius just like BoTW.

Top Bottom