• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

SCB3

Yeah I'm sure that was intentional. I did it one go but I can understand that feeling. It is pretty deep in there with some roadblocks meant to drain some resources.
Its the Gloom, I got to the final boss with 2 hearts left and was doing great but then he threw gloom over the floor and there was nothing I could do about it, gonna load a earlier save and grind some resistance food out

Gambit2483

Underneath hyrule now the sound that plays going under makes it intriguing.
Everytime I go into the Depths of Hyrule...

bhrR0pL.gif

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So wait, his inventory never changes?? I've been holding out hoping it changed...😐
Nope, same items in the same order. To get them all you gotta collect 48ish Bubbuls and give them all to him. Only way to get the full mystic armor set. The final piece being the headgear.

Good way to locate caves is either google an interactive map or give fruits to cherry blossom trees, which activates light beams on all caves in that region.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I loved it. I finished it last night.
I went in with 18 bomb flowers (only used half), a bunch of fans, 4 decent shields, 100 arrows, level 2 knight armor set, the master sword, and about 15 dishes that cured gloom. Having those dishes made things so much better. You can find an abundance of sundalions up in the sky. The Twilight Princess amiibo was the best because you get a ton of meat each day.

Ganondorf wasn’t bad. I made sure to bring enough shields because I didn’t want to time every side swipe of his. I used a couples meals to boost my attack and when he did his downward slash id parry/rush attack. I got to his third phase without getting hit. Granted I couldn’t do a naked run. The phase where he is shooting stuff. You can just run up to him when he pulls out his bow and start swiping. I’d definitely not use a bow in that phase because you can’t time when to actually hit him. Ganondorf looks cool, but I thought BotW had a more menacing looking boss.

I loved it. I finished it last night.
I went in with 18 bomb flowers (only used half), a bunch of fans, 4 decent shields, 100 arrows, level 2 knight armor set, the master sword, and about 15 dishes that cured gloom. Having those dishes made things so much better. You can find an abundance of sundalions up in the sky. The Twilight Princess amiibo was the best because you get a ton of meat each day.

Ganondorf wasn’t bad. I made sure to bring enough shields because I didn’t want to time every side swipe of his. I used a couples meals to boost my attack and when he did his downward slash id parry/rush attack. I got to his third phase without getting hit. Granted I couldn’t do a naked run. The phase where he is shooting stuff. You can just run up to him when he pulls out his bow and start swiping. I’d definitely not use a bow in that phase because you can’t time when to actually hit him. Ganondorf looks cool, but I thought BotW had a more menacing looking boss.
I can see how you feel that way, but I likes fighting the humanoid Gannon this time around and the cinematic setpiece final battle was way cooler than Hatred Gannon or whatever that was at the end, though I wish it did have a little challenge, but still beautiful to look at and fits well being way above Hyrule.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can see how you feel that way, but I likes fighting the humanoid Gannon this time around and the cinematic setpiece final battle was way cooler than Hatred Gannon or whatever that was at the end, though I wish it did have a little challenge, but still beautiful to look at and fits well being way above Hyrule.
yes, Ganondorf has much more of a personality than some eternal monster appearing out of nowhere. Maybe it was the inclusion of a horse or Epona in BotW’s finale that captured Link’s destined battle. I got Epona with amiibo, but I didn’t need to use her. If she would have had the tow ability, I could have used her to go see the great fairies. Epona was at the stable the entire time. Probably the best thing for Ganondorf was being so far down, below Hyrule. There was an eerie feeling of no escape. The dragon bit was cool too. I will say that it was intimidating when Ganondorf’s life bar tripled in size and went far off to the right side of the screen.

SCB3

And done, what a game! Definitely looking to be an easy GotY but possibly topping the list of my personal favorite ever games, I loved every second in this and a little sad to leave it behind, I pretty much 100%'ed it with only maybe a bit of the depths left to go, but I was ready to get to the end and give it a satisfying conclusion, easily my new favorite Zelda game

Gambit2483

And done, what a game! Definitely looking to be an easy GotY but possibly topping the list of my personal favorite ever games, I loved every second in this and a little sad to leave it behind, I pretty much 100%'ed it with only maybe a bit of the depths left to go, but I was ready to get to the end and give it a satisfying conclusion, easily my new favorite Zelda game
How do you people do it???

I'm 60hrs in...still 6/7 regions to clear with the SkyTowers...only 2 Temple cleared. I feel like I'm so far behind on everyone else...😮‍💨

SCB3

How do you people do it???

I'm 60hrs in...still 6/7 regions to clear with the SkyTowers...only 2 Temple cleared. I feel like I'm so far behind on everyone else...😮‍💨
Oh this is long, I had a week off and then a good 6-7 hours a day when I went back to work, pretty much all I've done in Lunch Breaks and after work is play, I'm close to 90 hours or so

Hardensoul

Just completed all the memories/tears to finally start making some sense with the story and I wasn't prepared for this :'(

On the bright side, from the looks of it, I can get my Master Sword somewhat soon now!
Which is sadder after you realized Zelda is the first dragon you see after jumping from Sky island she's been waiting all this time or watching for time over Link? - :messenger_loudly_crying:

Just did all the labyrinths. Really good stuff, way better than in BotW. I really enjoyed how they make you visit every layer.
Yeah, I like the way the labyrinths are done in this one taking advantage of all altitudes for varying challenges throughout. All of them are still pretty easy, but I agree overall a more complete experience.

Pejo

Do you guys with all of the companions keep them out at all times? I tend to dismiss Fishboi and Goron until I fight enemy groups or whatever and usually only keep Riju and Birdboi out for general exploration/gameplay. With all 4 of them it seems a little stuffy.

Gambit2483

Do you guys with all of the companions keep them out at all times? I tend to dismiss Fishboi and Goron until I fight enemy groups or whatever and usually only keep Riju and Birdboi out for general exploration/gameplay. With all 4 of them it seems a little stuffy.
Situational/Framerate Awareness.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and people like different stuff...but this game is so galvanizing for me.

For me, it has been so damn good. I am 45....I am old, I am bitter, and I am past my prime in terms of cognitive plasticity and it gets really hard to experience "joy" (or whatever you call it....Feelings? Gross).
This game makes me smile...constantly. Every "organic" discovery, event, "contraption", area I explore, just everything hits perfectly.

I actively don't look stuff up in this game. This is the first game I have played in YEARS where I have not looked anything up....that just doesn't happen anymore, at my age, with my stack of commitments.

This is one of the best games I have played in my 38 years of gaming.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I had them all out for the most part then realized how much they can get in the way/tank performance and started picking and choosing more. But they’re really useful for tanking and shit when in big fights. My one complaint would be activating their powers is pretty clunky a lot of the time, either running into one and activating on accident or trying to run to one to activate and they’re running away or something. It would be nice if there was a way to command them without being physically on top of them, but with how complicated all the controls are already, I kinda get why it is the way it is

Aldric

Wait so you can't cheese them?
In BotW you can just stay up and jump from top to cheese them :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The ones on the surface don't need to be cheesed because you just have to follow trails of accorns and the ones in the depths are barely mazes. You can cheese the sky ones which are the only ones with a bit of challenge.

Bridges

Curious if anyone else ended up doing this (kinda big spoilers so be weary if you haven't finished).

I held off on the main quest for a very long time and eventually did the Goron City quest. Messed around for awhile and somehow accidentally stumbled onto
Dragonhead Island, where I got the quest that lead me to the Spirit Temple and received the fifth sage and the master sword way way before I was supposed to. Was very fun playing through basically the whole game with the mech by me. So my path was Fire Temple -> Spirit Temple -> Korok Forest/Master Sword -> Collected all tears -> Water Temple -> Lightning Temple -> Hyrule Castle -> Hyrule Depths

It lead to a pretty funny, albeit anticlimactic, moment near the end of the game
20230529-120518.jpg

Completely removed the need to do any of the Kakariko Village questline, though I went ahead and did it anyway just to see what it was.
Anyone else manage to sequence break anything major like this?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Curious if anyone else ended up doing this (kinda big spoilers so be weary if you haven't finished).

I held off on the main quest for a very long time and eventually did the Goron City quest. Messed around for awhile and somehow accidentally stumbled onto
Dragonhead Island, where I got the quest that lead me to the Spirit Temple and received the fifth sage and the master sword way way before I was supposed to. Was very fun playing through basically the whole game with the mech by me. So my path was Fire Temple -> Spirit Temple -> Korok Forest/Master Sword -> Collected all tears -> Water Temple -> Lightning Temple -> Hyrule Castle -> Hyrule Depths

It lead to a pretty funny, albeit anticlimactic, moment near the end of the game
20230529-120518.jpg

Completely removed the need to do any of the Kakariko Village questline, though I went ahead and did it anyway just to see what it was.
So far….

Unlocked all the towers
Did the wind temple
Did 4 of the geoglyphs
Did 50+ shrines
Did the rest of the geoglyphs
Landed on dragon and pulled out Master sword
Did water temple
Did 40 more shrines
Just got two of the spirit sage’s parts.
No lost woods
No master sword quest

Aldric

20230529-120518.jpg

Yeah

I got Mineru after my third temple, it was one of my favorite moments in the game.

What happend is I went to the Korok forest, couldn't enter from the surface and started exploring in the depths. Saw that you could enter from below, purified the Deku tree, grabbed the Master Sword and then did the shrine in the forest where you have to drop from a sky island to enter the mist from above. I remembered that there was a sky island in Faron that was covered in storm clouds and wondered if I could do the same here. Dropped from a higher sky island, saw the green swirl in the middle of the storm clouds, did the shrine and then it led me to the Construct Factory and the Spirit Temple.

Really cool sequence, although I didn't like how it didn't have any impact on the Kakariko quest that stayed stuck until I finished the 4 regional anomalies quest.

Forth

I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and people like different stuff...but this game is so galvanizing for me.

For me, it has been so damn good. I am 45....I am old, I am bitter, and I am past my prime in terms of cognitive plasticity and it gets really hard to experience "joy" (or whatever you call it....Feelings? Gross).
This game makes me smile...constantly. Every "organic" discovery, event, "contraption", area I explore, just everything hits perfectly.

I actively don't look stuff up in this game. This is the first game I have played in YEARS where I have not looked anything up....that just doesn't happen anymore, at my age, with my stack of commitments.

This is one of the best games I have played in my 38 years of gaming.
Thank you for these words because this is exactly the situation I'm in.

Hardensoul

The ones on the surface don't need to be cheesed because you just have to follow trails of accorns and the ones in the depths are barely mazes. You can cheese the sky ones which are the only ones with a bit of challenge.
I haven’t tackle the TotK labyrinths yet. First time doing them in BoTW I didn’t know about the cheese strat and I did enjoy doing them.

I want to solve the puzzles, first play through will definitely not be cheese!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In Tears Of The Kingdom, we explore dozens of hidden interactions, such as shield surfing on frozen meat, the secrets behind fueled fires, and how we can make Flux Constructs a pushover.

In the video above, we cover 42 facts, tips and tricks that aren’t quite as well known, ranging from secrets to glitches, some that are pretty simple and others that are fairly complex. The recently released Legend of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom has a massive world with endless possibilities, and we're only starting to scratch the surface of all of the secrets and tricks this game has to offer.

Timestamps:
0:00 Intro
0:17 Secret Apple Updated
0:28 Ice Block Tricks
0:45 Ice Blocks Conduct
0:56 Shield Grinding
1:05 The Best Shield Surf
1:33 Zora Love Water
1:45 Ascend Through Talus
1:51 Muddle Battle Talus
2:03 Secret Drift Mechanic
2:26 Rock Bullet Time
2:34 ZL Flatten
2:55 Diving Light
3:08 Rubble Attachment
3:15 Hyrule Bridge Fuse
3:31 Dazzle vs. Stals
3:39 Material Burn Timer
3:51 Surf Over Gloom
4:02 Shrine Campfire
4:15 Ice Rod Farming
4:23 Autobuild Farming
4:39 Cannonball Parry
4:44 Mushroom Shield Secret
5:02 Shock Emitter Secret
5:09 Like Like Immunity
5:18 Burning Arrow Combinations
5:37 Flurry Rush Gleeoks
5:44 Rock Octorok Repair
5:55 Recall Throw
6:04 Nintendo Patched Glitches Already
6:48 Multiply Bee Swarms
6:58 Smoke Deters Bees
7:05 Charge Attack Super Armor
7:21 Emergency Parry
7:32 Emergency Stamina
7:42 Garage Jack
7:57 Fueled Fires Rule
8:14 Hot Air Balloon Fires
8:25 Fueled Fires Ignore Rain
8:38 NPC Attacked Reaction
8:78 Flux Construct Weakness
9:12 Stand On Their Head
9:19 Flux Can't Attack Without Parts
9:42 Outro

shubik

60 hours in. I finished 3 temples, did. a lot of side quests, have only one tower left and yet it feels like I barely scratched the surface. I love every second of it and don’t want this game to end.

I just noticed today that I haven’t touched my ps5 in 3 weeks now. What a game.

Hardensoul

60 hours in. I finished 3 temples, did. a lot of side quests, have only one tower left and yet it feels like I barely scratched the surface. I love every second of it and don’t want this game to end.

I just noticed today that I haven’t touched my ps5 in 3 weeks now. What a game.
Don’t think the game will never really end when you beat last boss. Just so much content.

I may just go ahead and finish the story but I can freely do whatever. Like I did with BoTW!

daveonezero

Banned
Don’t think the game will never really end when you beat last boss. Just so much content.

I may just go ahead and finish the story but I can freely do whatever. Like I did with BoTW!
Does this game work like BoTw and just load your last save or does it “continue”?

I still haven’t touched the main quest. I’m sort of waiting for master mode.

So I've been trying to create a flying laser battery like seen in this video, against the Hinox and Gleeok:

Unfortunately, the rocket keeps sending the whole thing way too far. Out of range of whatever I'm trying to use it against, and out of range of myself, so it shuts down before it can do anything (unless I'm standing right on it). Anyone knows what's up? Did Nintendo stealthily increase the strength of rockets in one of the patches? Am I being sabotaged by the Yiga?

Rran

I like the way the Bubbul quest works; it's got that Dragon Quest Mini-Medal thing to it where you're rewarded through a tier list rather than simply making it another currency. I think that's a good change of pace, although I also find the monster parts to be pretty underwhelming goodies.

Hardensoul

Does this game work like BoTw and just load your last save or does it “continue”?

I don't know, I have not looked into it. I enjoyed Master Mode and had more play time in BotW. My first playthrough in BotW, killing Ganon was a mistake. I only completed 2 Devine beast and not collected most of the memoires. I was just in exploring in Hyrule Castle then Ganon event started. To my surprise, he was easy to beat and I decided to continue, but I died to Beast, which was basically a victory lap :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_crying:. All because I never did the Gerudo and didn't know about the weak points that the area taught you! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Credits rolled but game loaded at point before you defeat Ganon. At that point I went and completed everything except korok seeds only found enough to cap inventory. To get proper and bonus ending.

My comment was more saying if I finish and see the story ending, I could just keep freely playing and not worried about missing out on discussing about story or ignore the spoiler talk online.

I've still been pretty good about not seeing any story spoilers. "knock on wood"....

Last edited:

Ogbert

So, I’ve spent 50 hours with the game now. Only one temple down. Just been mooching around, taking my time.

I cannot get over how absurdly big the game is.

It has an absolutely idiosyncratic sense of place; like an MMO that you sink 1000s of hours into. An incredible achievement.

I very, very rarely apply this to a game, but it is a work of art.

Nydius

I just finished the main story quest, I believe I have most of the side content done outside of Korok seeds and cave gems, and all it does is reload your prior save before fighting Ganondorf. There’s a story reason for this that becomes apparent during the final cutscenes.

The save file has a star beside it to indicate that you beat the game, but that’s it. 180-190 hours was my playtime but I did a lot of set upgrade grinding.

Late edit: Here’s my playtime vs my BotW playtime. Both are pretty similar: I have done most of the side content (I don’t want to say all because there’s probably some well hidden things I missed), several gear upgrades, about 125-150 Korok Seeds on each because I can’t be arsed to grind all of them:

YtKbwl3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm loving this game but feel it's a heavily menu driven game and the loading times suck. I don't care about shiny graphics and all, the game is great looking as is but wish it could be played with instant or quick loading like with some PS5/XseriesX games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally got my Master Sword after 100 + hours and still not done yet.

Also finally able to properly tackle the Factory quest in the depths because able find the mask in one of very stormy sky islands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom