• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

TheUsual

Gold Member
Read an easy way to farm star fragments and verified it works.
Start at either the Gerudo Canyon Skyview Tower or the Thyphlo Ruins Skyview Tower, wait until midnight, and then launch yourself from the tower. Let Link just fall down and when close to the tower, a star fragment will fall right in your path.
Get that and then warp to the other tower. Wait at the campfire there until night and then launch yourself from the tower after midnight. Star Fragment will fall behind you as you fall back to tower.
Rinse and repeat by going back and forth between these two locations and you'll build star fragments up in no time.

Farmed enough to do some armor upgrades.

Wow!

I was deeply moved when I obtained the Master Sword. Poor Zelda. It felt like gently touching my beloved for the last time as her hair softly brushed against me. The tears on the ground were hers as well. It was an indescribable moment for me, one that I will never forget. It may be a simple story, but it can only be told in such an epic manner. I'm incredibly curious about how it will end.
The greatest ending to a videogame EVER. I was standing up the whole time. I couldn’t believe what I was witnessing. You are not ready.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
After 245hrs, lit all the Depths, did all the shrines, found all the wells and caves. I finished Tears of the Kingdom, and boy did I shed some tears.

A masterclass in game design. It's not perfect but nothing is. It's gave me moments, it was epic.
I'm only 310 hrs, SMH and I'm nowhere close to finishing. I'm trying to finish side quest and collect armors. I only did Rito and a surprised Spirit Temple when I was exploring a mysterious sky. Only did it because I got a certain item from completing Yiga set and quest. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Other wise I was saving the Regionals from when I'm ready to finish story in one go. I've gotten Link pretty strong now, everything is easier (Barbarian/Fierce Deity set max upgrade, Silver Lynel horn fuse).

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Pretty much did all the shrines. Cant say I enjoyed them more than those in BOTW. There are too many 'free'ones. The temples and bosses are more fun but thats about it...

I'm a bit stuck in the Gerudo main quest... I'm at the part where you need to find pillars and "unite them in light".
I've found those three pillars. Closest one I broke some rocks and created a beam of light, being reflected to a seoncd pillar... that's too low for that light to right its mirror.
There's a third pillar, that the second's mirror ams toward, and which mirror aims toward the first one. There's a wheel at the top, but once repaired, turning it doesn't seem to do anything. I thought may it would raise the second pillar (the low one) and create a light beams triangle, but doesn't look like it.
What am I missing?

Hardensoul

Gold Member
You need to raise that pillar. There is a switch nearby. Just finished the story. Loved the ending. Most epic Ganon battle yet.
I found that Gerudo and the Rito boss again in the depths. Kill them again for the fuse parts. Also found 2 arena like events that reward cool head pieces.

Zimmy68

Finally finished. Great ending.
Not a fan of the "create a save before the final boss" to continue playing after but I guess continuing would screw up their ending story.
Played the entire game without updating past 1.1 and the duplication glitch made things much more enjoyable.
Always had plenty of rupees (diamonds), bomb flowers, zonaite devices, whatever the purple flower that causes enemies to fight each other.
I didn't mind the degrading weapons but I ended up avoiding combat because the net result was always negative.
Strong bosses drop weak weapons so it is not worth breaking your 50+ weapon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does this game have no rumble whatsoever? Just realized I haven't felt anything in my 135 hours with the game. I feel my Pro Controller vibrating when I wake the Switch up, so I don't think the controller is the problem.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Does this game have no rumble whatsoever? Just realized I haven't felt anything in my 135 hours with the game. I feel my Pro Controller vibrating when I wake the Switch up, so I don't think the controller is the problem.
It has rumble, I especially notice when Muldugas are coming at you under the sand, when the boss bokoblins charge Or big hits from bosses.

Gambit2483

It does, it's just not used as heavily as some other games.

You'll mainly feel vibration when
- hitting an enemy
- getting hit by an enemy/explosion/item etc
- falling from great height
And launching from a skytower

Everything else like shooting a bow, throwing a bomb, galloping on a horse, or surfing on a shield you won't feel.

If it doesn't involve Link directly hitting or getting hit (or shooting out a tower) you won't feel it.

Though there's a few exceptions like feeling the effect of lighting strikes in close proximity.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It has rumble, I especially notice when Muldugas are coming at you under the sand, when the boss bokoblins charge Or big hits from bosses.
Hmm ok, guess I haven't thought about it. Or I've just become too used to PS5 games having haptic feedback for almost everything. This is the first Switch game I've played in a few years. But you'd think they'd have vibrations when enemies hit your shield and stuff, most of the time there's absolutely nothing or it's extremely subtle.

Edit: Ok, I just woke up a stone talus, and yeah, there's vibration going on. It's funny, I never really noticed it, it just kinda blends in with the noise, which is probably also the idea.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Finally finished. Great ending.
Not a fan of the "create a save before the final boss" to continue playing after but I guess continuing would screw up their ending story.
Played the entire game without updating past 1.1 and the duplication glitch made things much more enjoyable.
Always had plenty of rupees (diamonds), bomb flowers, zonaite devices, whatever the purple flower that causes enemies to fight each other.
I didn't mind the degrading weapons but I ended up avoiding combat because the net result was always negative.
Strong bosses drop weak weapons so it is not worth breaking your 50+ weapon.
Bosses drop the best attachments though. That’s really where your damage comes from.

I need Ti farm boss bokoblins just for having an axe at all time.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Bosses drop the best attachments though. That’s really where your damage comes from.

I need Ti farm boss bokoblins just for having an axe at all time.
Best one hand weapon is from Gerudo quest. You just need to save the weapon shop owner from Mulduga and she'll craft it for you. Just need to save Gerudo scimitar and Gerudo shield(sorry forgot what other items needed). My weapon fused with silver lynel horn is 138 AP which is great for one hander.

The other I use for Lynel hunting is Royal Guard's claymore, when it's about to break it does double damage. Remember weapons don't lose durability when you hit them when mounted. My pristine Royal Guard's claymore fused with Silver Lynel horn is 206 AP not quite perfect modifier. I destroy Silver Lynels after 2 mounts.

Edit: The shop owner actually only sells circlets, but is a weaponsmith. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Can someone tell me how to get a bigger zonaite battery. I’m at 3 bars.
There are several Great abandoned forges you can buy crystalized charges with Zonaite. The first Forge you should be able to find is from the quest to send you down to the depths. Then take the Crystalized charges to the last Shrine you did before jumping down from Great Sky island. The Forge turn in should be across from that shrine(Nachovah Shrine).

Edit: The crystallized charge forge vendors restock every 2 in game hours or 20mins.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Did anyone else notice that the flags/banners around Hyrule field often update at like 3fps? Doesn't seem like a distance thing either, can happen when you're right next to them. Then sometimes they'll sway smoothly. Not sure if a bug or a way to save CPU resources, but it looks awful!

Doesn't matter for gameplay of course, just something I found deeply disturbing, lol.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Did anyone else notice that the flags/banners around Hyrule field often update at like 3fps? Doesn't seem like a distance thing either, can happen when you're right next to them. Then sometimes they'll sway smoothly. Not sure if a bug or a way to save CPU resources, but it looks awful!

Doesn't matter for gameplay of course, just something I found deeply disturbing, lol.
yeah, saw that, prob a bug left from the Pokemon Scarlet code.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
So everyone has seen the Lynel arena event in the Depths. Well, the last few days I found 2 more similar events but with other enemy types. I won't spoil the surprise but if you know the reward from the Lynel event, you may like the other rewards too.

I wonder if there's more, I still haven't open up all the Depths. But the area's I opened I've skipped around a lot, I'm keep my eye out for them now.

I also did my first labyrinth, also nice reward for completing.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hi! 😊

I'm in need for some information.

I hope someone remembers or knows what I'm about to ask...

Early game (1/2 hours) I find myself in a cave with the light giving flowers.

Said cave leads to some constructs. With besides him those "Z" things. The ventilators and such. I choose "pick them all" and bought it. Gave it to the construct working next to to "lava" stream. His response was more or less "Ok I'll process this".

My question is; when is that dude ready with my product? I've already made a campfire there guessing it takes a whole day or something.

How does this aspect work? Do i need to go back at some point or?

I'm at a loss.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
There's no waiting for stuff, you basically just buy crystals off the shelves using zonaite. That's what "processing" means.

See also:

Hmmm. I didn't see bought devices in my inventory hence my confusion. I'll take an other look but they weren't in the zonaite or w/e category.

(Sorry not good with remembering the specific names etc)

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmmm. I didn't see bought devices in my inventory hence my confusion. I'll take a other look but there weren't zonaite or w/e category.
(Sorry not good with remembering the specific names etc)

They're not devices, just a different resource that you then use for upgrades. It's at the bottom of the materials inventory when sorted by type I think.

You CAN also buy Zonai devices, but from those vending machines, not from the constructs. You can however buy charges from those constructs, which are what you use in the vending machines.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
They're not devices, just a different resource that you then use for upgrades. It's at the bottom of the materials inventory when sorted by type I think.

You CAN also buy Zonai devices, but from those vending machines, not from the constructs. You can however buy charges from those constructs, which are what you use in the vending machines.

Thanks!

I'm set on figuring shit out myself but sometimes I can use some advice!

Much appreciated.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Btw I restarted some 3/3 hours in. This time with Pro Hud. Loving this game so much.

Pro HUD is so much more immersive. This game is meant to be explored, not to just follow a dot on the minimap. Instead you get to plan out your routes to different locations etc, and actually see the world.

I didn't start with it immediately, but switched to it soon after reaching the ground.

Mr Branding

Just finished last night after 90hrs. This is without a doubt the most engrossing game I’ve played this year, or maybe ever. I’m still thinking about it and going back to clear whatever’s left.

That feeling when you finish a epic game and all other games feel weird after. Might need a palette cleanser indie after this.

Can’t praise the technical aspect of this game highly enough, especially considering the state in which most games release nowadays. My goty and gotf for sure.

Last edited:

Skeptical

Well, after 110+ hours, I have finished it.

I know many people say this game makes BOTW irrelevant, and I can sort of understand the reasoning behind it. But I still disagree; I think there is sufficient space for both. TOTK is so filled with stuff to do that I had a feeling, especially in the mid to late game, that I should always be doing something. I had shrines marked I needed to visit, Side Adventures sitting there that needed completing, tons and tons of half-completed armor sets that needed the rest of the set and to be upgraded, the depths to fill out, etc etc. Even if there were no quest markers on the map like a typical open world RPG, it still felt like a to-do list. In contrast, BOTW felt like exploring always took precedent, even if you did have a lot of the same tasks. I could just say "I wonder what is over in this canyon" and then spend a day just running through it. It was less content-filled, yes, but more exploration-rich as there was more desire to see what was there just for the sake of seeing it.

That said, part of that probably has to do with the fact that it's the same map. So maybe I would still be exploring just for the sake of exploring if I had never played BOTW and was going with TOTK as my first experience with this Hyrule. And early-mid game, I was getting distracted a lot, setting a goal and then, 5 hours later, realizing that I was further from the goal then when I started. So early on, the massive amount of content enhanced the exploration factor by giving me attention deficit disorder, while later on it mainly served to limit me.

I also wasn't a super huge fan of Ultrahand, so I'm one of the few people who think the shrines in BOTW were, on the whole, better. Maybe because it was too easy to cheese some of them in TOTK? I'm still not sure if the "ultrahand a platform as high as possible, then use rewind and ascend to gain height" was ever intended or was just a cheap alternative.

These aren't really complaints, of course, just observations. This was still a fantastic game. Now nothing to do but wait seven years for the next one...

Mozzarella

At last, finished this game 98% completion rate probably cause i left few things to do in case i want to go back to Hyrule before the DLC to warm up.

For me this game is an easy 5/5
Doesnt mean its flawless, most of my top rated favorites are flawed in many ways, but because its a great journey to me.
Epic finale, way better than Breath of the Wild which was a 5/5 until TotK came out and dethroned it, now it sits back in my 4/5 (still good)

I guess i can say in bullet points my thoughts in case someone enjoys reading them.
Pros in +
Cons in -

+ Absolutely fantastic open world, the sheer amount of physics, environmental variety and scale is insane, safe to say for me this is the best open world on the market now.
+ Great Zonai devices and utility that keeps gameplay fresh and exciting.
+ Cool cast of characters
+ Great presentation
+ The story is a massive improvement over BOTW
+ Nice soundtrack
+ Introduction of the caves was great, i loved exploring them.
+ Fuse mechanic and Ascend are fantastic, no need to mention Ultrahand as its basically the game.
+ Good dungeons
+ Epic finale, probably the best final boss in Zelda games tied with Majora's
+ Amazing traversal mechanics
+ Great variety of items and tools
+ Great transition from the skies all the way to the depths, seamless af and smooth af!

- Still needs more enemy variety, good on them to add some but needs more, game is long and needs more things
- Shrines are a downgrade, they are either super easy or blessing, would have appreciated some more challenge and harder shrines or some more puzzles at least, i was solving them instantly, i barely stopped and think in them, probably 5-8 shrines are tricky, the rest are a cakewalk.
- Depths are too huge and a pain in the ass to explore because of their geography, also they are mostly empty outside of the usual grindy stuff.
- Could improve the combat mechanics further

Those are initial thoughts for now after finishing it, overall i loved my experience with it, this is probably going to be GOTY 2023, maybe i'd like BG3 more but for the popular award i hardly see anything else beating it, Starfield or Spiderman 2 have a lot to gap to fill.

Excited to see what stuff they can bring with the DLC, i hope its harder shrines and more puzzles and more enemies. Hopefully not garbage cosmetics and useless fluff.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Excited to see what stuff they can bring with the DLC, i hope its harder shrines and more puzzles and more enemies. Hopefully not garbage cosmetics and useless fluff.
I don't think they're gonna do DLC. Game is packed with content and I'm not sure what they can add besides maybe more Zonai devices and what you said.

I much rather the team take a break and start working on the next title.

Mozzarella

I don't think they're gonna do DLC. Game is packed with content and I'm not sure what they can add besides maybe more Zonai devices and what you said.

Yeah sure, no DLC is fine by me, but if they make one i hope for better puzzle shrines as i am still starved on those.

yeah i really hope there is no master mode dlc this time because i really don't have the time to do all of this shit over again

the game already has more than enough content so unless they're making zelda bikini armor then i'd rather they focus on the switch 2 zelda

Top Bottom