• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
yeah i really hope there is no master mode dlc this time because i really don't have the time to do all of this shit over again

the game already has more than enough content so unless they're making zelda bikini armor then i'd rather they focus on the switch 2 zelda
Also, usually Nintendo announces DLC with the game launch or before. This time they've been quiet. Not saying it can't happen, I think Animal Crossing got a surprise DLC.

JimboJones

Finished after 110 hours could have finished sooner but was enjoying my self too much.
Probably one of the most fun and enjoyable games I've played in years.
I thought having the same map as BoTW would drag it down and feel to samey but it honestly felt as fresh as the first time I played BoTW.
Still feel they could improve the main dungeons but that's my only gripe.

Finally found that final Bubbulfrog. I was afraid my game got glitched because one of the caves isn't showing on the map, so no checkmark next to it either, but after double-checking every cave on an online interactive map, it turns out I was missing a small one just south of Kakariko (honestly, the entrance is barely big enough for Link to walk through it, it's no wonder I never noticed it).

The one not appearing on my map (the one at Puffer Beach) might screw up my 100% though... if I ever bother collecting all 1000 Korok seeds, that is.

Hardensoul

Finished after 110 hours could have finished sooner but was enjoying my self too much.
Probably one of the most fun and enjoyable games I've played in years.
I thought having the same map as BoTW would drag it down and feel to samey but it honestly felt as fresh as the first time I played BoTW.
Still feel they could improve the main dungeons but that's my only gripe.
That seems to be a take by a lot of people.

But to me the overall quest/experience lead up to the Temple is very good. That I considered that as whole. The Temple itself is like the last Boss floor.

The experience itself is great upgrade from BotW. IMO

Hardensoul

Finally found that final Bubbulfrog. I was afraid my game got glitched because one of the caves isn't showing on the map, so no checkmark next to it either, but after double-checking every cave on an online interactive map, it turns out I was missing a small one just south of Kakariko (honestly, the entrance is barely big enough for Link to walk through it, it's no wonder I never noticed it).

The one not appearing on my map (the one at Puffer Beach) might screw up my 100% though... if I ever bother collecting all 1000 Korok seeds, that is.
Did you do the wells, I’m kinda lost oh how to track the ones I’ve been through! After meeting the quest giver, I also forgot where she was too 😂

Did you do the wells, I’m kinda lost oh how to track the ones I’ve been through! After meeting the quest giver, I also forgot where she was too 😂
I did. The last one was actually where I needed to get to one of the last shrines from.
If you haven't, you can take a picture of one for your compendium, then set the sensor to wells to find them more easily; some were actually pretty well :)messenger_tongue:) hidden.
Quest giver is at the bottom of the Lookout Landing well after accepting the quest.

Also got all Light Roots, and only one shrine left. I actually know where it is (sensed it while going to Thunderhead Islands the first time, but couldn't find it, and only got to the one at the end by chance) but I'm waiting for the quest to send me there and clear the storm first.

Hardensoul

I did. The last one was actually where I needed to get to one of the last shrines from.
If you haven't, you can take a picture of one for your compendium, then set the sensor to wells to find them more easily; some were actually pretty well :)messenger_tongue:) hidden.
Quest giver is at the bottom of the Lookout Landing well after accepting the quest.

Also got all Light Roots, and only one shrine left. I actually know where it is (sensed it while going to Thunderhead Islands the first time, but couldn't find it, and only got to the one at the end by chance) but I'm waiting for the quest to send me there and clear the storm first.
My curiosity got me to finish Storm area and since I was there I cleared it! Was great Journey to finish!
I had been avoiding regionals and only did Rito to help with exploration

Edit:
I completed the Yiga set and got thunder helm which helps in the storm area

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I also want to say that
I did the storm islands before finishing all 4 phenomenas, including all the islands, and I kept looking for what I need to do to switch the rain off. Not to mention the amount of times I went to Kakakiro village trying to get into the 5th slab. I actually think that was a bad design choice for an open world game, at least they could've had this open up when you see all the geogliphs and the Shika lady returns and tells everyone Zelda is not real.

Noxxera

Hi! 😊

I'm in need for some information.

I hope someone remembers or knows what I'm about to ask...

Early game (1/2 hours) I find myself in a cave with the light giving flowers.

Said cave leads to some constructs. With besides him those "Z" things. The ventilators and such. I choose "pick them all" and bought it. Gave it to the construct working next to to "lava" stream. His response was more or less "Ok I'll process this".

My question is; when is that dude ready with my product? I've already made a campfire there guessing it takes a whole day or something.

How does this aspect work? Do i need to go back at some point or?

I'm at a loss.
I'm guessing you're referring to the tutorial dude. I dont have the answer to how long it takes. Prolly a couple days? But I just wanna say down underneath Hyrule there a several such places with constructs selling that stuff. Myself I usually buy it all clean, then move on, explore, until I stumble on the next guy selling so that's how I do it, never revisited the ones I've bought everything from haha

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm guessing you're referring to the tutorial dude. I dont have the answer to how long it takes. Prolly a couple days? But I just wanna say down underneath Hyrule there a several such places with constructs selling that stuff. Myself I usually buy it all clean, then move on, explore, until I stumble on the next guy selling so that's how I do it, never revisited the ones I've bought everything from haha

Yeah i bought all ie cleared the shelves. But the Zonai "ventilators" aren't present in my inventory. So i ask the construct and he's processing. That implies to me he's making them.

But now i have conflicting information.

The only fact i can operate from is that buying them doesn't put them in my inventory.

I'm as well confused about those apparatuses where you can drop materials in for it to make it into something. Which materials? Is finding out on your own the organic thought process behind this design? Having OCD it's quite a pickle lmao.

daveonezero

Banned
Yeah i bought all ie cleared the shelves. But the Zonai "ventilators" aren't present in my inventory. So i ask the construct and he's processing. That implies to me he's making them.

The only fact i can operate from is that buying them doesn't put them in my inventory.

I'm as well confused about those apparatuses where you can drop materials in for it to make it into something. Which materials? Is finding out on your own the organic thought process behind this design? Having OCD it's quite a pickle lmao.
On the shelves he is selling "crystalized energy" or others shops sell Zonai Charges in exchange for zonaite.

He is processing zonaite. (Resource you get from mining). There a more of the processors who sell items in the depths. Don't wait for them to replenish.

The crystalized energy is in you inventory under the "key items" tab. It is the green triangle.

Crystalized charges are then used at a refinery to increase battery capacity. (battery icon on the map there is one near lookout)

It's honestly a bit tedious but a way to have zonaite and Zonai devices have a separate economy.

Zonaite can buy charges or crystalized energy.
Charges can be used to expand battery or buy items form the gumball machines.
Crystalized energy can be used to expand battery.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
On the shelves he is selling "crystalized energy" or others shops sell Zonai Charges in exchange for zonaite.

He is processing zonaite. (Resource you get from mining). There a more of the processors who sell items in the depths. Don't wait for them to replenish.

The crystalized energy is in you inventory under the "key items" tab. It is the green triangle.

Crystalized charges are then used at a refinery to increase battery capacity. (battery icon on the map there is one near lookout)

It's honestly a bit tedious but a way to have zonaite and Zonai devices have a separate economy.

Zonaite can buy charges or crystalized energy.
Charges can be used to expand battery or buy items form the gumball machines.
Crystalized energy can be used to expand battery.

Thank you!

Hardensoul

There is 2 different things.
1. Small/large Zonai charges are use like food to recharge your current battery and also use in at dispensers for the different devices for builds.

2. Zonaite Crystallized Charges are currency like rupees/poes. They are use to raise your battery. The only vendor that I use. Is the vendor across last shrine in the Great Sky Island before jumping down. Once you buy 100 charges for 1 bar.

The vendors at the many abandoned forges in the depths sell both and they restock every 2 game hours or 20mins.

Edit: Bosses in depths are best way to farm crystallized charges. Mining Zonaite ore will take too long.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Holy crud just did proving grounds the hunt after all this times was getting beatend up till I figured it to use robots

that was incredibubble shrines in this game are wwaaaaaayyyy better than BOTW
is that the one where you have to attach the spikes and lasers to the little tank bots? If so that one took me at least 10 tries ahha, so annoying

Hardensoul

is that the one where you have to attach the spikes and lasers to the little tank bots? If so that one took me at least 10 tries ahha, so annoying
That’s one of the proving grounds. You attached device weapons to robots!

It took too long for me, I just use device fuse on weapons 😂

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
There is 2 different things.
1. Small/large Zonai charges are use like food to recharge your current battery and also use in at dispensers for the different devices for builds.

2. Zonaite Crystallized Charges are currency like rupees/poes. They are use to raise your battery. The only vendor that I use. Is the vendor across last shrine in the Great Sky Island before jumping down. Once you buy 100 charges for 1 bar.

The vendors at the many abandoned forges in the depths sell both and they restock every 2 game hours or 20mins.

Edit: Bosses in depths are best way to farm crystallized charges. Mining Zonaite ore will take too long.

Thank you as well for taking the effort to explain.

Much appreciated.

Noxxera

When you kill any hostile construct they usually drop some kinda energy balls and sharp objects you can fuse to your weapon, you can drop those into the apparatuses. And you can drop the energy cores you can use to refill your battery into the apparatuses aswell. Drop the energy cores (I usually do 5 at once) and loads of items come out

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-review-screenshot-16.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-review-screenshot-09.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I hate the fast-moving sand that slows movement and causes fatigue. Need to figure out some trick to dealing with it that I'm probably missing. Had to go find a fallen stone and use Recall on it then glide over the sand junk.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I hate the fast-moving sand that slows movement and causes fatigue. Need to figure out some trick to dealing with it that I'm probably missing. Had to go find a fallen stone and use Recall on it then glide over the sand junk.
I think the sled can go on top of it no problem.

Hardensoul

Yea, you figure another way from me I found high spot and use Tulin and another spot I build a bridge. Bu others are solving that differently too.

Love it that puzzles or environments can be overcome differently!

Noxxera

I really appreciate shots like this in the game.

I don’t understand people who don’t find this game appealing to look at.

To me it is the shear density of potential places to go on every shot.
Yeah the game is big af and feels big af too. Closest game that feels the same in my opinion is RDR2 but I think Zeldas map is better, its squared whereas RDRs is rectangel layout

Noxxera

Read an easy way to farm star fragments and verified it works.
Start at either the Gerudo Canyon Skyview Tower or the Thyphlo Ruins Skyview Tower, wait until midnight, and then launch yourself from the tower. Let Link just fall down and when close to the tower, a star fragment will fall right in your path.
Get that and then warp to the other tower. Wait at the campfire there until night and then launch yourself from the tower after midnight. Star Fragment will fall behind you as you fall back to tower.
Rinse and repeat by going back and forth between these two locations and you'll build star fragments up in no time.

Farmed enough to do some armor upgrades.
star fragments isnt the issue for me, it's the ore, need like 30 each for a upgrade

Noxxera

Came back to the game after a short break and I'm back to disliking it again. Absolutely hate the story and the Master Sword sucks again. Now that I know the reward for doing all the shrines is of no interest to me I'm probably just going to do all the side quests and get through the rest of the dungeons. Speaking of, Gerudo dungeon was a bit of a letdown after easily being the best part of BotW. The pre-dungeon stuff was pretty good but the actual dungeon itself was kind of eh.
Overall the game is solid for a first playthrough. Then we could get into nitty gritty.. Like I feel the side quests are kinda dull lol, and rupee rewards in quests are way too low

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I decided to wrap up the dragon's tears stuff before I "beat" the game, and some of these are amazing. Some of the best direction and animation in cutscenes I've seen in games in years - especially because it doesn't feature uncanny valley mocap of Troy Baker or Laura Bailey for once.

Edit: I mean, don't get me wrong I love their work. Sometimes it's just really nice to see something different.

Last edited:

Noxxera

I decided to wrap up the dragon's tears stuff before I "beat" the game, and some of these are amazing. Some of the best direction and animation in cutscenes I've seen in games in years - especially because it doesn't feature uncanny valley mocap of Troy Baker or Laura Bailey for once.

Edit: I mean, don't get me wrong I love their work. Sometimes it's just really nice to see something different.
the cinematics was very anime and I can tell it wasn't mocapped, some laughs the baddie does looks weird too lol

TheUsual

Gold Member
star fragments isnt the issue for me, it's the ore, need like 30 each for a upgrade
Yeah, that is a pain. By the time I found this, I was able to upgrade the majority of my gear. Just exploring caves and Goron Mountain and getting there.

Hardensoul

Ore respawns every minute depending on how far you are from the ore spot. Also farm stone talus for ore. Personally I usually return every 20mins since that's also the length of time all vendors restock.

FunkMiller

150 hours, and I just rolled credits, with the full ending included.

Every shrine, every lightroot, every main quest, vast majority of the side quests. All without having to look anything up - and that’s down to how expertly the game is put together rather than my skill as a player.

What an absolute masterpiece, and easily - EASILY - game of the year. Magnificent.

And all on an ancient piece of hardware. Wizardry.

Now to go back and mop up the rest of the stuff I haven’t done yet - so probably another 10 hours 😂

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am chasing

the various ghosts or whatever of Zelda through the castle

And it's the most ominous fun I've had in a video game since climbing the spire at the end of inFAMOUS: Second Son. This game is so good.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I finished this game and here are my thoughts.

1. Game is a masterpiece and I love it. I played the game on Yuzu at 4K/60 fps. Remarkably, I had very few crashes and it was a remarkably stable experience. To be clear, I have a 7800X3D and a 4090, but anyone with at least a 2070 should get a far superior experience than the console itself. Needless to say 99% of Zelda players won't get the experience I did, but it's pretty obvious that Nintendo would really benefit from a console that runs these games at 4K 60 fps. It's a tragedy that we have people stuck playing this at 900p/30 fps. It deserves so much more. I know fanboys will tell me that Nintendo is not about flashy hardware, but they can release a more powerful machine that can run this game better without it costing an arm and a leg. Nintendo games are developed with lower specs in mind and it wouldn't take anywhere remotely close to the processing power of a PS5 or XSX to get their games at 4K/60 or 1440p/120. The Switch 2 is rumored to have a PS4 level power and I honestly think that will work well enough. The game didn't look perfect upscaled, but it looked good and did not once did the lower quality visuals hamper the experience.

As for the game, I made every effort to play the game correctly, but I did do some things to stream line the experience. I went through every single shrine and lighthouse. Those were mostly fun. I got the armor sets I wanted, but I used the Skydiving set the most. I also got the Twilight set to give myself an old school Link look. However, I did cheat in that I increased the durability by 10X. You will NEVER convince me that the insanely low durability of the vanilla experience makes for a better system. I also added in resources using a save editor as I did not have the energy to constantly farm things. At first, I tried to upgrade my armor legit, but I got so sick of watching the fairy animation. Seriously, if I have the resources to upgrade my gear several layers, why do I need to sit through an animation every fucking time? I made every effort to avoid using a guide and try to figure things out on my own, but there were times when better hints were necessary. After the Regional Phenomena quest, I was very confused and there was no indication that I was supposed to head to a certain village. Normally the game gives you enough hints to get started, but that pissed me off. I talked to everyone multiple times and everyone said to keep looking. I did give in a look at a guide at that point. Made me mad as I was enjoying listening carefully and figuring things out on my own.

This is the first Nintendo game have played completely through in over 10 years and it was a worthy experience. I started Breath of the Wild on Cemu, but never finished it.

Fools idol

Banned
The boss in the sky storm ark boat thingy was super cool but super easy. I was expecting a more challenging boss after that epic climb and .. well it was over in 30 seconds

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
*Draws sword and shield, slowly approaches in a semi-circle*

That's right lizalfos, blow that horn of yours. I have already murdered the rest of your tribe. Your brothers. Sisters. Children. I am Link, Hyrilian swordsman of legend. And I have come to end you.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They should have an unstick button. On the Pro controller it feels inconsistent trying to shake stuff apart.

Top Bottom