• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

What score do you think The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 125 47.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flutta

Banned
94+

The critics really love BOTW, so i’m expecting the around the same score.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I remember that I wasn't planning on getting a Switch at launch, and then the reviews for BOTW came out a week or so early and I knew I had to play it.
I kinda wonder why Nintendo made the embargo a day before, maybe for spoilers?

Robb

Gold Member
I remember that I wasn't planning on getting a Switch at launch, and then the reviews for BOTW came out a week or so early and I knew I had to play it.
I kinda wonder why Nintendo made the embargo a day before, maybe for spoilers?
I think you might be misremembering, review embargo for BotW was March 2nd iirc, and the game launched March 3rd. So same as TotK.

Edit:

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

birdman-hand-rub.gif

Yoboman

Don't think everyone is gonna love it going full Fallout 4 and focusing heavily on building, or it being in the same world. Overall quality will be high though

xrnzaaas

Metascore for this game is going to be very high for sure. Reviewers love Zelda and the outlets are always afraid to give Zelda games lower scores even if the initial backlash from a 'controversial score' will give them some extra clicks.

MistBreeze

I know some people speak shit on Nintendo for lack of graphics factor and low spec hardware

But trust me BOTW in mechanical level has the best engaging mechanics and physics in any open world game period

You must play it to understand

Nintendo generally know how to craft engaging and compelling gameplay systems

Smash , metroid and mario platforming games have some of the most compelling gameplay systems in the industry

Capcom is close second

Hugare

I mean they addressed the concerns of the first game. Weapon breaking? Fuse. Lack dungeons? They are in this time.
They "fixed" with Fuse a problem that they've created unnecessarily. And its really not "fixed": after fusing it, your weapon still breaks after a few hits.

And they didnt fix dungeons: they are arguibly more interesting thematicaly than the Divine Beasts, but in terms of design, they are far cry from the best this series have already offered in the past.

Its a 8/8.5 game, imo.

Stuff like Fuse, Ascend, Ultrahand and etc. are great in terms of world interaction, but this shouldnt be enough to garantee a +90 MC score when there are also many flaws in terms of design in the game

Without the "Zelda tax", it should review slightly better than Immortals Fenyx Rising

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They "fixed" with Fuse a problem that they've created unnecessarily. And its really not "fixed": after fusing it, your weapon still breaks after a few hits.

And they didnt fix dungeons: they are arguibly more interesting thematicaly than the Divine Beasts, but in terms of design, they are far cry from the best this series have already offered in the past.

Its a 8/8.5 game, imo.

Stuff like Fuse, Ascend, Ultrahand and etc. are great in terms of world interaction, but this shouldnt be enough to garantee a +90 MC score when there are also many flaws in terms of design in the game

Without the "Zelda tax", it should review slightly better than Immortals Fenyx Rising

Sounds amazing thanks!

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Its a 8/8.5 game, imo.

8 out of 8.5? That's equal to 94/100, not too bad!

Hugare

Sounds amazing thanks!
It came out overly negative because I really didnt enjoy some of BOTW design decisions, and I think that TotK didnt do enough to fix them in general. Sometimes doubling down on those "problems".

But if you loved BotW, I'm certain that you will also love TotK. Its BotW 1.5.

Last edited:

Gudji

Its a 8/8.5 game, imo.

It came out overly negative because I really didnt enjoy some of BOTW design decisions, and I think that TotK didnt do enough to fix them in general. Sometimes doubling down on those "problems".

But if you loved BotW, I'm certain that you will also love TotK
Yeah doesn't sound like I'll fall in love with the game just like I didn't with BOTW. The whole "freedom" thing just isn't enough to keep me engaged for long.

BbMajor7th

Why are a certain fanbase so salty over these amazing Nintendo games?

It's like they know deep down that they don't know what magical gameplay and design is...projecting their own misery or something.

I'm glad I'm still blown away by their games and hope I never grow up.
I think it's fair to acknowledge that for a lot of people (especially those in gaming media), Ocarina of Time was a formative experience. It doesn't matter how dead you are inside, most people still have a connection to things that had an impact on them at that time. I think simply writing it off as 'nostalgia' is cheap and muddies the argument, but for anyone who didn't grow up with that series and experience the magic first time around, it might be hard to understand why other people get so much out of it. People throw around 'salt' and 'nostalgia', but it's really just one of those experiential things that some 'get' and others 'don't'.

Myself, I didn't play OoT back in '98, but I did play a fuck tonne of FFVII and I know it colours my feelings about that franchise to this day. Just hearing a certain piece of music is enough to make me feel warm and fuzzy. I think that's human, I don't think you need to justify it, but I think it's fair to acknowledge it.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I played at 4k and 144 fps for BOTW. It was glorious.

I still can’t wait to play this even at 30fps and 500p.

I can't wait to play it either, I would play it right now but I want to do it correctly. Without shader compilation.

I tried emulating BOTW as well just for fun in the lead up to TotK, it does look nice but I'd never want those issues my first time playing the game. I even downloaded a precompiled shader pack to try and alleviate it -better but I was still compiling shaders in the first area just by doing stuff they never tried out. For all the tinkering around and ending up with stuttering, I ended up thinking it was better to play it on console. Made me decide to avoid emulation on TotK entirely (at least for my first playthrough where I want to focus on the game itself and not its current state on PC/fiddling in Windows).

Between the Switch's poor performance and the technical headache/shader compilation on PC, it's a game where your experience is gonna be marred for some reason or another, which is unfortunate. But I'm as done waiting as you are, give me the game already lol

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

It's a Zelda title so it'll score pretty damn high

But I'm expecting a few knocks on the performance side of things because...switch

hemo memo

Gold Member
Fused weapons still break, so I'm not sure what you mean, and I've heard differently in regards to dungeons.
I know but weapon breaking was only an issue for me at the beginning but later on you get weapons with high durability and many weapons that it doesn’t bother me anymore. Fuse make it a less of a hassle at the beginning. Yes removing it would’ve been better but at least they implemented somewhat of a solution.

I’m gonna go with the safest bet here, and say it comes in slightly below BotW, because it’s a direct sequel.

Could be way off with that, too.

Last edited:

Jadsey

Because it's a reskin of the first map, I think it will hit slightly lower than people think.

I'll say it will finish about 89.

thatJohann

I’m expecting a couple of surprising mid scores dinging points for the reused map and convoluted mechanics. Lots of 9s, 9.5s, 10s, and a couple of 7s, 7.5.s.

I predict metacritic of 85

Top Bottom