• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
rhfb said:
Anyone on Brandywine that can do a invite into the fellowship right now?

What's your character's name? Also if you log on, see if Teladain, Vierge, Despiriel, Tonica, or Weng are online. Just send a tell to them and they'll invite you.

Giolon

If anyone takes up on Elendilmir, my name is Kaiyadis (level 65 hunter) on there. I'm a member of The Older Gamers' LOTRO chapter (The Osgiliath Guard). If you need advice or information, don't hesitate to look me up.

Sloegr

Where do we enter the D2D VIP code?

I'm enjoying the game thus far. It's nice to see so many people in the lowbie zones, even though the servers don't seem to enjoy it as much. Hopefully the move to F2P will be a long-term success.

stressboy

Downloading the client right now. How is soloing in this game? Not against grouping, but I hate having to rely on it.. bad memories of spending a few hours looking for groups in EQ back in the day.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
stressboy said:
Downloading the client right now. How is soloing in this game? Not against grouping, but I hate having to rely on it.. bad memories of spending a few hours looking for groups in EQ back in the day.

You can solo all the way to level cap very easily.

DiscoJer

Spire said:
You can solo all the way to level cap very easily.

So people say, but it took me 2 years to do so, and only then because of the skirmish system let me do the upper 30s and lower 40s. (Once you hit Eregion it's easy to level, I'll admit, but the 30s and 40s are rough, very rough)

And even now, as I still don't group, I am woefully undergeared because I don't have any gear from instances nor any book rewards.

Heck, I'm stuck on a couple of supposedly solo quests now. In Enedwaith, I need to kill a giant and a big ass goat. Both quests say they are solo, but they have literally 3x my hit points.

And in the Book quest leading up to Enedwaith (getting all the Rangers together), again, supposedly solo, I have to fight duos (the hillmen in the North Downs). One I can handle, two I cannot, because even mobs my level have 500-1000 more hit points than I do.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
My leveling path goes *starter zones to lvl 23* > Lonelands to lvl 32 > Evendim, North Downs, and early Trollshows to lvl 37/38 > Trollshaws to lvl 40 > Misty Mountains & Angmar to lvl 45 > Forochel to lvl 48 > Eregion to lvl 50/51 > Moria to lvl 58 > Lothlorien to lvl 60 > Mirkwood to lvl 65.

Quests can get you there without really any trouble. Skirmishes and dungeons help a lot though, obviously. As for Enedwaith, I just finished all the quests in the zone on my hunter and didn't have any trouble, and I've done the first half on my minstrel without any deaths either. Some of them are definitely not a cakewalk and require you to really know your class, but they are soloable.

Shanadeus

Banned
Okay, it looks like you can get 10 free points per server just by talking with Dwalin in Frerins Court (Ered Luin, Thorins Gate), just got 10 more points with my elf on silverlode. I'm not sure if this is just for new characters or not, so any veteran here should give it a go and score themselves some free points.

TimeKillr

So servers are down for at least 2 more hours... Hopefully it'll clear up the horrible lag we had last night on Brandywine. :)

Tried before servers went down and really liking it! Playing champion, name Nolimitx.

x for EXTREEEEMEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D
When are servers going up anyway? How long does a maintenance last?

ag-my001

Spire said:
My leveling path goes *starter zones to lvl 23* > Lonelands to lvl 32 > Evendim, North Downs, and early Trollshows to lvl 37/38 > Trollshaws to lvl 40 > Misty Mountains & Angmar to lvl 45 > Forochel to lvl 48 > Eregion to lvl 50/51 > Moria to lvl 58 > Lothlorien to lvl 60 > Mirkwood to lvl 65.

Quests can get you there without really any trouble. Skirmishes and dungeons help a lot though, obviously. As for Enedwaith, I just finished all the quests in the zone on my hunter and didn't have any trouble, and I've done the first half on my minstrel without any deaths either. Some of them are definitely not a cakewalk and require you to really know your class, but they are soloable.

Leveling is going to be a good bit slower for F2P players, since they will not be getting the bonus rest xp unless they buy it. So all those times we got double xp on mob kills, they'll still be slogging it out at the slower rate. That said, your leveling path is about what I do, except for the Lone Lands to 32, but that's only because I haven't run a new toon through since the zone revamp. I'd recommend to players to head up to Angmar around Lvl 38-40 to pick up the Fem Armor set. It's a fairly easy quest chain that can be solo or grouped, and will net you your choice of Light, Medium, or Heavy armor that can last all the way to Lvl 50 quite easily. I also tend to skip Misty Mountains and head straight for Forochel around 43, but that's because that zone doesn't feel right to me unless all the mobs are orange.

Coldsnap

If anyone has a minstrel and could help me out that would be great. I'm sorta just wondering what songs I should be using in solo, what should my plan of attack be? I'm level 10

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow, I guess they worked out the queue system :lol Before today I just had a 2 Minute wait as a F2P player now I'm trying to get on Brandywine with a 17 Minute wait.

BlueTsunami

The good thing is once you're in, you're in. So I would just let the queue site and make a sandwich lol (or watch football *fistpump*).

Also, I'm thinking about switching vocations. Sine I can't sell stuff in the auction house without throwing down 500 turbine points I don't have I'll probably pick up Tinkerer or something.

notworksafe

BlueTsunami said:
Also, I'm thinking about switching vocations. Sine I can't sell stuff in the auction house without throwing down 500 turbine points I don't have I'll probably pick up Tinkerer or something.
This is where the VIP starter pack comes in handy IMO. Gives you 1000 points to spend on AH slots and removing the gold cap, plus gives you the VIP benefits for a month. Not a bad deal.

Also finally got in! Woo!

LOTRO is similar to WoW, but what MMO isn't these days? What LOTRO does better than WoW is it's emphasis on the singe player experience. I'm only lvl 15 but so far I love the instanced story line quests.

Help GAF
I just bought the expansion for LOTRO after downloading the original client for a free trial, how can i download those expansions without downloading the whole 9gb client again?

nataku

...102 minute wait? What the hell?

Long waits on all the servers, it looks like. I wonder if they lowered the cap on them or something... or did that many people end up trying that game?

Retro

Reluctant-Hero said:
LOTRO is similar to WoW, but what MMO isn't these days? What LOTRO does better than WoW is it's emphasis on the singe player experience. I'm only lvl 15 but so far I love the instanced story line quests.

The class design is much more solid as well, in my opinion. WoW's classes seem to dance around each other (mostly since Blizzard has decided to balance around PVP) while LotRO's classes feel rock solid and have all the tools they need.

BlueTsunami

I'm not surprised that so many people are jumping on board and the queues are long now. LOTRO being so similar to WoW (as far as quality as an MMO) its almost as if WoW went Free to Play .

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
nataku said:

Long waits on all the servers, it looks like. I wonder if they lowered the cap on them or something... or did that many people end up trying that game?

That number isn't quite right. Mine said a 80 minute wait about 15 minutes ago when I was #1200 in queue and now I'm at around #400 (and it says I have 30 minutes left).

Turbine said they capped the sever capacity to solve the lag issues while they work on a permanent fix. Queue's should go back to what they were once they find out what was wrong.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
If you have ballad of Resonance, use that one first and it'll buff your damage by 10% for a short period. other than that you can use whatever you wish, but its best to use Tier 1 -> Tier 2 -> Tier 3 ballads in a row for some extra buffs while killing enemies. At level 10 you may not have all these though (pay attention to what each ballad gives you). you should be getting warspeech very soon and your DPS will get a lot better. Also, the heralds strike is extremely useful once you get the Noble Cause ability to allow you to spam it.

ACE 1991 said:
Hmmm... The game is definitely fun but it feels too similar to WoW, a game that I positively burned out on.

Yea it's a nice game but it feels like I'm playing WoW.

I kind of like DDO better so far since the gameplay has quite a few differences from WoW. After playing WoW for so many years and then WAR, kinda tired of the WoW formula. But this will probably keep my fix going whenever I get the feeling for that old game, and not having to pay a sub is a big bonus :)

notworksafe

nataku said:

Only about 2-3 minutes on Silverlode. Guess we're unpopular. :(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Dresden said:
Made a Hobbit Hunter named Piglad on Brandywine a while back. What's the gaf kinship's name?

Valar Morghulis, i'll throw you an invite when I get back on.

ACE 1991

BattleMonkey said:
Yea it's a nice game but it feels like I'm playing WoW.

I kind of like DDO better so far since the gameplay has quite a few differences from WoW. After playing WoW for so many years and then WAR, kinda tired of the WoW formula. But this will probably keep my fix going whenever I get the feeling for that old game, and not having to pay a sub is a big bonus :)

Agreed. I'm keeping LOTRO interesting by not power leveling like I did in WoW, by doing stuff like reading quest text, taking time to look at the environment, and trying to group with people more often.

ACE 1991

Reluctant-Hero said:

I've never understood why people count this kind of thing as a plus. Why make an MMO then? (Not attacking you in anyway, I'm honestly curious)

nataku

Servers are acting weird. I got stuck at a loading screen and had to end task the client and now the patcher won't load past the login.

AndyD

aka andydumi
To continue the image trend, here's my new character, Zapbrannigan and his trusty servant, Kiff.

ScreenShot00003.jpg

When I have the money I will track down appropriate clothing.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Queues are fine on Brandywine now. I'm currently in one, but it was only a 55 person >2 minute one. Probably gonna be over before I finish typi

Top Bottom