• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
331zvqr.jpg

Developer: Turbine
Platform: PC
Price: Free to Play w/ Microtransactions
Genre: MMORPG
Release Dates:
LotRO: Shadows of Angmar - April 24th, 2007
LotRO: Mines of Moria – November 18th, 2008
LotRO: Siege of Mirkwood – December 1st, 2009
LotRO: Free 2 Play – September 10th, 2010 (September 8th for subscribers)​

Official Site: http://www.lotro.com/
LotRO Lorebook: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Lorebook_home
My LotRO: http://my.lotro.com/
LotRO Wiki: http://lotro-wiki.com/
LotRO DynMap: http://dynmap.ruslotro.com/ (Has the location of every NPC, landscape quest item and area in the game.)
LotRO Gear: http://lotrogear.appspot.com/ (Searchable armor list, think WoWHead for LotRO)
LotROInterface: http://www.lotrointerface.com/ (UI mods)
LotRO Server Status Checker: http://status.warriorsofnargathrond.com/

15zf9jk.jpg

Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Intel Pentium® 4 1.8 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 512 MB
Video: 64 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 3 or ATI® Radeon® 8500
Disk Space: 11 GB available
DirectX: DirectX® 9.0c
Internet: 56kbps Modem

Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel Pentium® 4 2.8 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 1 GB
Video: 128 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® FX 6800 or ATI® Radeon® X850
Disk Space: 15 GB available
DirectX: DirectX® 9.0c
Internet: Broadband DSL/Cable

2kplwm.jpg

What do they mean by “free to play”?

Anyone can download the game and play for free. There is no initial purchase cost and no subscription fee. The first three zones (Ered Luin, The Shire, Bree-Land) and all of their content are free, as are four of the skirmishes and all of the dungeons and raids. All of the landscape of Eriador is open for free, but the quests beyond the first three zones must be purchased.

So what can I buy in the Turbine Store?

Quests, vanity items, and account upgrades (extra character slots, extra bank tabs, etc.) make up the bulk of the things available in the store. Content released in the expansions (Mines of Moria & Siege of Mirkwood) is available either in one lump package or in cheaper, individual chunks. You cannot buy high level gear or levels.

How much does this stuff cost?

Quest packs (which include all the quests in a certain zone) range from $5-$10. Extra character slots, new classes, extra bank tabs, and things like that range from $5-$7. Vanity items and housing items are are between $1-$3, mounts are between $5-$15 and so on. The most expensive items in the store are the expansion packs Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood, which are about $25 and $20 respectively.

Is there any other way to get Turbine Points besides buying them?

Yes. Unlocking Deeds (similar to achievements) will earn you Turbine Points. Don't expect to unlock everything via Deeds though as they only give between 5-15 Turbine Points apiece. Still, there are thousands of Deeds in the game and they add up. Achieving all the Deeds in the first three zones alone will net you around 900 Turbine Points.

I heard something about VIPs and Premium players, what's all that about?

The game has three tiers of players, Free, Premium, and VIP. Anyone who plays the game but has yet to purchase anything is a Free player. They have a cap on the amount of gold they can carry (it's high enough that no one in the starter zones will have to worry about it), can buy but not post items on the Auction House, and have other limitations. If you purchase Turbine Points from the store, you are automatically upgraded to a Premium player. It doesn't matter how many points you purchase, upon your first transaction you will be upgraded. Premium players have more character slots, a higher gold limit, etc.. VIP players pay a monthly fee of $15 and in return have access to all of the content in the game, including automatically getting access to all new content. They receive 500 Turbine Points a month and have no limits on their account. For more information on the differences, check out this chart: http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask in this thread or reference this FAQ: http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/faq.html.

ru5wzc.jpg

Skirmishes:
In essence, skirmishes are repeatable dungeons that you can join from anywhere, scale with your level, and can be completed solo, 3-man, 6-man, or 12-man. They tend to be shorter than your typical dungeon and are largely randomized. Groups and waves are random and occassionally include a mini-boss called a Lieutenant. There are several dozen different lieutenants in the game, all with different mechanics and strategies. Random events also occur. Skirmishes also make use of a NPC buddy mechanic, called Soldiers. When inside a skirmish instance, you can summon a Soldier to help you in battle. You can level up and customize your soldier, choosing what class they are, which abilities they use, and even how they look. Skirmishes award a decent amount of money, xp, skirmish marks and tokens, which can be traded in for just about anything.

Epic Questline:​
One of the highlights of the game is the epic questline and the story it tells. Available to all players for free, the epic questline spans the entire game and puts you on the path of the fellowship. The entire first volume (which includes 15 books, each with 8-15 quests) can now be soloed and tells what I consider to be the best story in an MMO yet. This is more than just aping events from the book, it involves you with the fellowship in a smart and believable way and tells its own, new story as well.

Legendary Weapons:​
If you hit level 50 and unlock the Mines of Moria, you get access to the legendary weapon system. Legendary weapons are items you get to customize and tailor to your play style. You level them up, you upgrade them, you slot relics into them, you can even name them and give them different visual effects. Finding and maxing out the perfect legendary weapon for your character is one of the key things you do at endgame.

Traits:​
Traits are the way in which you customize your characters play style. Traits comes in four varieties: Virtues, Race, Class, and Legendary. Virtue traits are earned through completing deeds and give passive buffs to your character. Race traits are specific to your characters race and slotting them will do everything from give passive buffs to new abilities. Class traits are the most important type of trait as they determine the strengths of your character, they are LotRO's version of the talent tree in WoW. Legendary traits are essentially ultimate versions of class traits, slotting them will unlock new, powerful abilites or give huge passive buffs and improve your class abilities. While you can look at your (or anyone elses) traits at any time, you must talk to a Bard to slot or rearrange them.

Player Housing:​
Players and kinships (guilds) can purchase and maintain their own personal homes. Houses are located inside housing instances, there are four different neighborhood types (one for each race, although you can pick whichever you want regardless of what race your character is) and several instances per each. Houses range in price from about 1g to 18g. If you own a home every character on your account will be able to port to it once an hour, likewise if your character is in a kinship with a kinship house. Aside from serving as a second hearthstone, housing are mainly used to show off trophies. Most bosses in the game drop trophies which can be displayed in your house and used for bragging rights.Some housing items can be interacted as well, often with fun, silly results.

Session Play:​
Ever wanted to explore Middle-Earth as a chicken? How about play as a Dunedain Ranger or one of the dwarves present at the releasing of the Balrog and the fall of Durin's Moria? LotRO has you covered with the session play system. It's used mainly for story-telling opportunities, transporting you back in time to experience first hand key events in the history of Middle-Earth. It's also used in the Ettenmoors, the games PvP zone. Build up enough renown and you can play as either a massive armored troll or a ranger for a time. Session play is also used for other purposes, like running around the landscape as a chicken. You think you're hardcore? You've never had to run around and visit every town in the game as a level 1 chicken without dying and with a 7 hour time limit. Only a noble few have unlocked that title.

Cosmetic Outfits:​
Available once one of your characters hits level 15, cosmetic outfits allow your character to look the way you want without sacrificing stats. You have three equipment tabs: Your main one contains your actual gear that you receive stats from, the other two are purely for vanity purposes. You can select which of the tabs you want to display on your character at any time, but you'll always receive the stats from the gear in your main tab. There is a ton of purely cosmetic gear in the game (items that have no stats and exist only to make your character look cool) so getting your character looking sharp even at an early level is easy.

Fellowship Maneuvers:​
When in a group with other players, anyone dealing damage can trigger a Fellowship Maneuver. This will only occur when you're in a group and fighting signature level mobs or higher. Occassionally someone will “break through the mobs defenses” which stuns the mob and allows the fellowship to execute a special attack on it. Each player can choose between four colors: Red (deals instant physical damage), Yellow (puts a DoT on the mob), Green (Heals you), or Blue (restores power). Beyond the basic effects of which color you choose, the order in which your party chooses them is important. Certain orders unlock special named attacks, which have bonus effects ranging from healing the entire party to summoning powerful NPCs to help fight.

One of the Best Damn PvE Endgames Around:​
Enjoy a challenge? Do you like having things to work on and do long after you hit the level cap? Do you want your favorite low level dungeons and raids to scale to any level and give scaled rewards? Well get your ass to endgame because LotRO offers one of the most finely tuned and balanced PvE experiences in the genre. Whether it's doing endgame skirmishes with a full raid, delving into the pits of Moria, struggling atop the blizzard-ravaged peaks of Helegrod or fighting your way through the dungeons of Dol Guldor, there is plenty to do and see. Even low level content still holds a draw as there are thousands of deeds and titles to unlock, housing and vanity items to find and secrets to discover.

Monster Play:​
Available only to VIP players, Monster Play is the games form of PvP. Players can choose to either play as the forces of Sauron or bring their main LotRO characters into the fray. All PvP is held in a big, persistent zone called Ettenmoors. The two forces battle for control of five different keeps and the side that is winning gains access to a special raid. The keeps are available for capture at all times and on the populated servers there is almost always a large battle happening somewhere.

Classes:​
There are nine classes in the game.

Burglar:
A stealth class with mid-range dps. Their main role at endgame is to debuff, CC, and trigger Fellowship Maneuvers.
Captain:
A heavy armor class that can heal and has a pet. Their main role at endgame is to buff other players and off-heal.
Champion:
A heavy armor class that does excellent AoE damage. Their main role at endgame is to dps, interrupt spell casting, and tank (if traited for it).
Guardian:
A heavy armor tanking class. They are one of the two main tanking classes.
Hunter:
A ranged dps class. Their main role at endgame is to dps and occassionally CC. They can also port to any major town.
Lore-Master:
A ranged dps class with a pet. Their main role at endgame is to dps, CC, debuff, off-heal, and restore power to the party.
Minstrel:
A healer class. They are one of the two main healer classes, they also specialize in short-term buffs.
Rune-Keeper:
A dps/healer class. Available with Mines of Moria or can be purchased seperately. Their main role at endgame is to dps or heal (with HoTs), they cannot effectively do both at the same time though.
Warden:
A tank class. Available with Mines of Moria or can be purchased seperately. They wear medium armor and tank mainly through block/evade/parry mitigation and self-healing. They have the best suvivability when playing solo.

bea39w.jpg

Official LotRO F2P Launch Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e26wYqma1M&feature=player_embedded
Mines of Moria CG Teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaZ0Ow6zxPM
Siege of Mirkwood Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKQSzw015xs
Siege of Mirkwood/Dol Guldor Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRWLtt2KuM&feature=channel
Skirmish System Dev Diary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtYuNP9LxxA

Concept Art:

2mwrw51.jpg

25kif47.jpg

xqez3m.jpg

wsljf4.jpg
j92gkk.jpg

2yzhmkw.jpg

547rx0.jpg

Screenshots:

1z56j40.jpg

6sgxo4.jpg

2072g6r.jpg

2r40ar4.jpg

24grbpv.jpg

2dij42f.jpg

solkz7.jpg

15d8703.jpg

ta3mrk.jpg

w9tdte.jpg

o5yhk2.jpg

t65hz8.jpg

To join the official GAF server on Brandywine, send a tell in-game to either Teladain, Weng, or Vierge or post your characters name in this thread.

US:

Arkenstone

Brandywine (Official GAF Server)
Spire
KernelPanic
GDGF
bloodydrake
Schrade
Retro
Team Vernia
TimeKillr
centracore
Shanadeus
Mr. Snrub
hamchan
Ignignort
VAIL
aidan
Shalashaska161
Delio
nacire
Infinity
paranoidfortean
hamchan
legend166
theinfinityissue
BlueTsunami
Darknessbear
blackMamba1187
ToddG15
czartim
Rekwest
elrechazao

Crickhollow (New!)

Dwarrowdelf (New!)

Elendilmir
Haeleos
Borgnine
Dreohboy
Giolon​

Firefoot
Revolutionary
jmonteiro​

Gladden

Imladris (New!)

Landroval (Unofficial RP server)
Wallach
Htown​

Meneldor

Nimrodel

Riddermark (New!)
AndyD
Owensboro​

Silverlode
notworksafe
HarryDemeanor
Jibber Hack
Reluctant-Hero​

Vilya

Windfola

EU:

Eldar (EN)
Bru​

Evernight (EN)

Gilrain (EN)

Laurelin (EN) (Official RP Server)
BrokenSymmetry​

Snowbourn (EN)

Belegaer (DE) (Official RP Server)

Maiar (DE)

Morthond (DE)

Vanyar (DE)

Estel (FR) (Official RP Server)

Sirannon (FR)

Wallach

Nice OP, really well done. I'm stoked to get this started (which it should be right about now for current players)!

I'm on Landroval, as Wallach (55 Guardian).

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I know a lot of GAFFers still play, if your name isn't on the list just post it here. And with the four new servers launching this week, if you guys want to designate a new "official GAF server" just let me know.

notworksafe

Cool OP! I can't wait to get this started. My game should be delivered tomorrow, so I can get it installed under CrossOver and start my Dwarf Runekeeper. Anyone have any experience running it on Mac? It got a gold medal on their site, so it should run just as well as on Windows.

You can also add KefkaTaran and ShallNoiseUpon to Silverlode. We're all in the same WoW guild and are starting up a guild (Fellowship?) on there.

EDIT: For those that want to get a jump in without having to buy quest packs for a while, Mines of Moria (which includes the main game as well) is available on Amazon for $8. That gives you all the classes, and extra crafting tier, two extra character slots, and all the quests from 1-60. It also gives you a Premium membership right away!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FS7FE0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also anyone who was a former subscriber is Premium right away as well.

Spire said:
I know a lot of GAFFers still play, if your name isn't on the list just post it here. And with the four new servers launching this week, if you guys want to designate a new "official GAF server" just let me know.

I shall give this game a try, never played any of the MMO's but will try this once it goes free. Dedicated GAF server would be sweet I guess :D

Nice OP :)

I've never played an MMO. This would seem like a nice way to check out the genre but I'm terrified that my addictive personality would get the better of me.

Jokab

I'll probably just play the first three zones and see if I like it. If I do, I might just buy those quest packs.

Wallach

Moobabe said:
Can I download the client now and then start playing when it goes F2P?

Yep, you can grab the client right now if you want. You won't be able to start playing on a free account until Friday though.

Brandywine's the official GAF server, eh? Too bad, I'm on Firefoot (toon name is Pwnecia). :( Maybe I'll make a Brandywine character when the F2P goes live.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
been playing fer last 30days and decided to go get the 3 months for 30bucks option since I'm having so much fun with it.

My characters Groonin on Brandywine server in Runic Knights Kinship(guild).

from the looks of it going ftp for the first 25levels is the way to go. all the starter zones and bree area stuff is avail for Ftp.
If after that you enjoy it then either buy some quest packs for next areas ie lone lands and northern downs or just sub.

Oh add this trailer to your OP its better Mirkwood one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRWLtt2KuM&feature=channel

jmonteiro

Revolutionary said:
Brandywine's the official GAF server, eh? Too bad, I'm on Firefoot (toon name is Pwnecia). :( Maybe I'll make a Brandywine character when the F2P goes live.

I'm also on Firefoot (toon is krikwyn). I've not been logging in lately though but send me a friend invite please :D

Schrade

Fantastic first post to this thread. Awesome, awesome title too!

Been loving the game since the Free to Play beta started. I got my hunter to level 53 in beta and realized I was spinning my wheels since it would all go poof. So since then I've been leveling up my guy on Brandywine and am at level 36 :) I decided to subscribe since I was spending so much time playing the beta ehhe. I'll drop to premium from VIP once I finish all the quest pack contents, probably.

In that time I'll have accrued 500 turbine points a month while being VIP.

Awesome game. For those trying it out for the first time, give it some time to settle in with you. The crafting is awesome and doing quests get you really nice rewards and lots of experience. In fact, you gain experience so damn fast in this game you outlevel content quickly. That's one of my very few gripes.

Wallach

Awesome patch notes are awesome.

I wonder how long the downtime will actually be. I remember when the server warning showed up last night it said around 4PM EST, but I get the feeling that is not correct given the forums just went offline...

Haeleos

Great OP.

I have a 42 Guardian and a 38 Minstrel on the Elendilmir server and I'm willing to help out any newbies this week. I can even craft you some free low level gear. PM me on GAF or in game... my characters are Haelgrom and Haelkrig.

Really looking forward to the bank changes, the new content and spending my free points on stuff.

Here's a link to the client: http://www.lotro.com/support/download-lotro
Be sure to grab the high res client.

ag-my001

Part of the way Turbine will be differentiating players is by making Free and Premium players wait in queues when the servers get too full. If you don't want this to happen to you, stay away from Brandywine, Elendilmir, and Landroval. They're the Big 3, and will often have queues when new stuff comes out. Firefoot, Gladden, and Windfola would all love new people coming in, and of course there are the new servers. I didn't think Turbine would launch all four right away, considering they've got some low, low populations on current servers, but I guess they're very optimistic for a repeat of DD:O's success.

Also, in celebration of it suddenly having people willing to run the instances again:
ScreenShot00027.jpg

Annuminas is back!!!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The patch is up and available for download, although all the servers are still down.

Moonbabe said:
Can I download the client now and then start playing when it goes F2P?

Yes, although the update is happening right now so Turbine's servers are in flux. I'll add a link to the client download page when it comes back up.

Wallach

I just want to see these new shield graphics. Nothing bothers me more about being a Guardian than what they did with some of the shields. Especially the post-Moria heavy line, what the hell.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Updating my game data now!

Is this going to be live tonight at 12:00 AM EST? (for subscribers I mean)

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
GDGF said:
Updating my game data now!

Is this going to be live tonight at 12:00 AM EST? (for subscribers I mean)

It'll be live when the servers come back up. They've set tomorrow as the official date but have said that they might get the servers up early and in that case we could start playing today.

AndyD

aka andydumi
And subscribed. Will be on Riddermark if anyone wants to play with another gaffer.

Wanted to start off on a new server where f2p wont be affected by the logon queues so much. And will be in a good kinship, Vanguard, composed of new and old people from across various servers who wanted a new start.

DiscoJer

Just me just point out what should be obvious: There's no such thing as a free lunch.

They made this switch because when they did it to D&DO, their revenue increased 500%. That money didn't come out of thin air, it came out of player's pockets. While the number of paying players in that did increase it didn't increase 500%. The average paying player ends up spending far more in these schemes.

I bought a lifetime sub to this to escape from the F2P wallet emptying cycle, so I am not happy with this move at all.

Anyway, my point is, have fun, but watch your wallets. It's very very easy to shell out money for a game on microtransitions and not really notice it. Oh, I'll just spend $10 for this. Or $20 for that. And it adds up to $500 a year or more.

Magni

Felix Lighter said:
I've never played an MMO. This would seem like a nice way to check out the genre but I'm terrified that my addictive personality would get the better of me.

I'm in the exact same case.. Hmmm... tentations tentations.. Though Halo: Reach comes out four days later, don't know if I'll have enough time to play this either :lol

WJD

Interesting. Only MMO's I've ever played are Runescape and Matrix Online. I'll give it a go.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Spire said:
It'll be live when the servers come back up. They've set tomorrow as the official date but have said that they might get the servers up early and in that case we could start playing today.

Yay! Updates just finished. Just a few hours til we're back in this!

Haeleos

DiscoJer said:
Just me just point out what should be obvious: There's no such thing as a free lunch.

They made this switch because when they did it to D&DO, their revenue increased 500%. That money didn't come out of thin air, it came out of player's pockets. While the number of paying players in that did increase it didn't increase 500%. The average paying player ends up spending far more in these schemes.

I bought a lifetime sub to this to escape from the F2P wallet emptying cycle, so I am not happy with this move at all.

Anyway, my point is, have fun, but watch your wallets. It's very very easy to shell out money for a game on microtransitions and not really notice it. Oh, I'll just spend $10 for this. Or $20 for that. And it adds up to $500 a year or more.

Sure but the old payment plan is still available for those that still want to pay $10 a month.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Haeleos said:
Sure but the old payment plan is still available for those that still want to pay $10 a month.

Right. I bought a copy of Mirkwood on ebay for 12 bucks shipped. So that nets me a ton of stuff in points world. Plus it comes with 30 days of VIP.

I imagine if I spend another 10-15 in the next year (on quest packs) I will have definitely gotten bang for my buck.

Also don't forget to try Everquest 2. That is free now as well. And Dungeons and Dragons Online.

And Guild Wars 1 trilogy is really really cheap on retail and on steam!(and no monthly fee)

ACE 1991

My biggest issue with other MMO's is that it's so hard for me to get into them after spending days and days in world of warcraft... Other games just feel a little off and weird. It's not that WoW is so vastly superior to other games in the genre I just have such a high level of comfort with that title. I'll try my best to not compare LOTRO to WoW however.

EDIT: Is there anyway I can mess around in the game now, or is the 10 day trial program now defunct?

Chris R

Second best mmo on the market. I'll be there on the 10th. This will be so damn fun after the torture of FFXIV beta and EQ2 f2p.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ACE 1991 said:
My biggest issue with other MMO's is that it's so hard for me to get into them after spending days and days in world of warcraft... Other games just feel a little off and weird. It's not that WoW is so vastly superior to other games in the genre I just have such a high level of comfort with that title. I'll try my best to not compare LOTRO to WoW however.

EDIT: Is there anyway I can mess around in the game now, or is the 10 day trial program now defunct?

Trials are gone, and the servers are down anyway. You'll have to wait until the 10th.

I'll be jumping into this. Not sure what server I'm going to. New servers are always nice but if GAF is heading to Brandywine then I guess I'll head there too.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
sillymonkey321 said:
I might try this....the Lore-Master ranged + pet class sounds nifty. Is that a good class?

They're very good, although they're complex and hard to play if you're just starting. They're super fun in groups though because you can kind of do a little bit of everything (except tank) and you feel vital to your groups success without having the stress of healing or tanking. They're kind of strange to solo (because so many of your abilities are debuffs, CC, and group-related spells) but they're absolutely capable of holding their own.

sillymonkey321 said:
I might try this....the Lore-Master ranged + pet class sounds nifty. Is that a good class?

It's a great class, but you have to think about a lot of different things: Debuffing enemies, crowd control (stuns, etc.), healing party members, removing wounds, controlling your pet, etc. It's certainly not a standard mage-like class, and it's usually one of the less-played classes.
Also, as a loremaster you will get the option to dual-wield a sword and a staff,

Top Bottom