• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MCU’s Namor Revealed (Spoiler)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Official merchandise art:
FWrknhWXoAAGl0h

In the MCU he’s Mayan.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Cool. I hope they accurately represent Mayan cultures legacy of human sacrifices and slavery.

Is Atlantis a part of marvel Lore? IIRC that's a Greek myth so I'm curious if that's where namor is from and how Greeks feel about changing their culture like that.
Apparently it isn’t “Atlantis” due to the Aquaman movies. He was from Atlantis in the comics.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
He doesn’t look like Namor McKenzie. But I guess Disney has to represent a culture with all their new heroes now.

I think the idea is to say that the Mayan civilization disappeared underwater as their out of not doing Atlantis due to Aquaman.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think the idea is to say that the Mayan civilization disappeared underwater as their out of not doing Atlantis due to Aquaman.

I can see people complaining, as such a scenario may come off as tone deaf and offensive because the Mayan culture is still around. They didn't vanish in some fantastical event like so many believe (such as sinking into the ocean). They even preserved their language. Some travel show I used to watch even visited one of their present day villages - maybe one of Bourdain's?

The decline of their civilization was long and slow and sent them adrift throughout the Yucatan and beyond. I realize Marvel is likely trying to honor their culture and history, but you know how people are. Some are going to complain. Loudly.

They should have just stuck with Atlantis. It's cooler anyways.

wondermega

Pretty disappointing. Namor is such a ridiculous and over the top character (historically) in the comics, and - yeah I know it's unfair to judge by looks alone, but this just looks like it's going to be something completely different. They could still have fun with it so I'll not write it off yet, but my expectations are low. Still, they did still keep the (equally ridiculous) foot wings, so there is some hope I suppose.

Top Bottom