• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Medium Review Thread

Evilms

Banned
nCUIa6O.jpg

? They've been using this game as the first true next-gen Xbox exclusive since last year, even the reviewers say so. Don't change the narrative now that it's 900p and getting some bad reviews.

Proof: www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/01/05/heres-14-minutes-of-the-first-true-xbox-series-x-exclusive-the-medium/amp/

I'm looking forward to playing on PC Gamepass, perfect fodder for this service.
Its a timed exclusive indie game.. Not made by MS studios, they just bought timed exclusivity for GP as their first party games not ready yet

sircaw

Banned
Mine

Boring, trite, doesn't do almost anything, stories are bare bones, dragged out and graphics are very basic after the first couple hours.

This is why i trust his reviews, can not believe some other sites or people are giving this nines as scores.

jaysius

Banned
Mine

Boring, trite, doesn't do almost anything, stories are bare bones, dragged out and graphics are very basic after the first couple hours.

I watch quite a few of your reviews, but god damn this one was tightly written, witty and to the point, a little scathing where it deserves it, your reviews are great, but this one was more succinct. Did you change writers or something?

I give the review a 9/10... you could have only gotten a 10 if you were a simptress.

Last edited:
That one overrides the rest?
Why do you keep mentioning words like unbiased etc? I have only stated their review is garbage.

I am unbiased in my opinion of reviews and my unbiased opinion is that the review by they/them is not good.

Also the podcasts you're mentioning are not something I've ever heard of so I'm more than confident I won't go and listen to them.
Can we ban those that say them/they?
Please

Thirty7ven

Banned
Man i started scrolling down the reviews with a shocked face lol, then they started going lower.
Well people making the same tiresome jokes about Gamepass, but this is actually a perfect example of where Gamepass comes into its own. A seemingly average game, that you would still like to try, but dont want to spend full price on doing it.
Playing tomorrow.

So what you’re saying is that... you would like game demos to become a thing again? I agree.

This is a win for MS and it shows the potential benefits of getting day 1 releases on game pass.

I would have never purchased this game at $65 or $75 but I will be playing it tomorrow because of game pass

CitizenZ

Banned
I dont see anyone talking this is a full price $45-60 title and spare me the fcking its on GP. A bad title on your service is a good thing? GTFOH.

saintjules

That's a bummer since I usually agree with Karak's opinion on games. I was really looking forward to this game. I'll still give it a try since it's on Game Pass. Maybe I'll get lucky and this will be one of those games I don't agree with him.

Always go with your initial feelings and thoughts based on what you saw of the game before release. I love reading the reviews, but you can't let them dictate/sway your interests. If there's many cons, then proceed with caution.

Having said that, it being on Gamepass deserves a try in the least for sure!

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned

Writer for Eurogamer says = It´s bad, real bad
Eurogame =

The ball juggling done by John.
It ´s good man! lol

- frame pacing issues
- fps drops down to 22fps
- Resolution drops down 640p (S), 900p (X)
- no combat
- weak story
- disco effects in certain levels

Who knew a .dlc for spiderman would have more content, gameplay, playtime ..

Last edited:
Not bad but not good either :messenger_tears_of_joy:
kj3gFME.jpg

This scale brings me to the past where even 6 was fine games, while nowadays it would be considered unplayable LMAO

man this is so true. I was reading through old EGMs last week and it was amazing how often good games would get a 6 or 7 or sometimes even in the 5 range from one of the four reviewers but it was still discussed like an average or good game. Nowadays if you get a 6 it’s apparently horrific. Just look at this thread, a small scale AA horror game last I checked has a meta score over 7 but apparently it’s doodoo.

People need to stop giving a shit what reviewers score a game and care more about what they say, and even then, most reviewers are stupid.

meech

I dont see anyone talking this is a full price $45-60 title and spare me the fcking its on GP. A bad title on your service is a good thing? GTFOH.
Bad?Scores are all over the place. What shows that the ratings depend on the personal taste of the reviewer more than anything.

Last edited:
Has any review touched on replayability? This game's got some of that old-school Resident Evil spirit to its design, right? Well, those older RE games are pretty replayable; if you're playing them for the first time without using guides it can take a decent amount of time to beat them but they're really designed so the player replays to improve their skills in the survival-horror mechanics. Nowadays tons of people try speedrunning them.

I'm wondering if this game has that same type of potential, from what I've seen so far it doesn't seem to be the case. Also seen some reviews talk about the camera angles not being dynamic enough (has nothing to do with fixed camera perspective); again looking at some footage that seems to be the case and it's odd considering even the original RE1 had a lot of dynamic/quasi-cinematic camera perspectives used to heighten the tension and horror of the game. The Medium seems to settle for something more like Code Veronica's but with none of the dynamic camera perspectives of that game (which were already kind of pared back from the PS1-era RE games).

To that effect it also seems to come up a bit short to the earlier Silent Hill games in terms of utilizing dynamic camera perspectives to accentuate the atmospheric horror or play mind games on the player, tell narrative stories with the environment/locale etc. So may be a bit of a missed opportunity. Looks like the walking animations could've used some work, too; it's a bit jarring seeing a character in an environment of this detail slide across the floor and moonwalk (RIP Micheal Jackson) pushing against a wall. I know that's how the PS1/PS2-era survival-horror games did that type of collision but c'mon.

Seems like it'll make a good lazy afternoon play session over a weekend before moving onto something else, but as terms as a start for a new IP it seems decent enough. If a sequel does happen to come about I hope whoever gets timed or full exclusivity on it can provide more technical assistance to the team to iron out things like the walk animation, and the team itself should consider retooling parts of the game design and being more creative with the fixed cameras especially.

This is a win for MS and it shows the potential benefits of getting day 1 releases on game pass.

I would have never purchased this game at $65 or $75 but I will be playing it tomorrow because of game pass
and you think they'd be crazy to price that game at anything above US$30? Yay for developers going broke! /s .....the fact that you don't deem it worth buying speaks miles about the quality of the product, just saying.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
While this will of course be a great loss to the art world, I am sure somehow I will muddle through with my opinion not aligning with someone so obviously well endowed with Mensa level IQ such as yourself.

Another thing about the divisive reviews some of you are seeing. One thing to remember that I brought up on the international podcast is that many reviewers aren't reporting bugs, tech issues, nor even know how to report them or judge actual performance. That's not a slight on them, many are pretty open about it. Or that they don't listen to the music at all and just listen to podcasts while playing. All that can go into a reviews context and score.
So they may take terrible perf as if it means nothing. Like the Mediums texture popin and frame judder.
So the context of what they take in and put into their score is important.
Cyberpunk was a testament to that, full stop.

Last edited:
Man i started scrolling down the reviews with a shocked face lol, then they started going lower.
Well people making the same tiresome jokes about Gamepass, but this is actually a perfect example of where Gamepass comes into its own. A seemingly average game, that you would still like to try, but dont want to spend full price on doing it.
Playing tomorrow.

The problem is does GamePass just allow us to play average games, or does it lead to developers to spend less, resulting in average game knowing they don't need people to be willing to pay directly for their games?

It's made for TV movies vs AAA summer blockbusters.

You get what you pay for.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The problem is does GamePass just allow us to play average games, or does it lead to developers to spend less, resulting in average game knowing they don't need people to be willing to pay directly for their games?

It's made for TV movies vs AAA summer blockbusters.

You get what you pay for.
Or you'll get both indy games like this that some like and big game like the zenimax games, Avowed, halo, forza etc. I enjoyed the shit out of the made for TV movie a plague tale.

Ian Henry

It seems to be a decent game. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe it can be Xbox's premier horror franchise with more tuning and improvements.
I feel people are way too harsh nowadays with some saying that anything below a 90 score is automatically trash. Crazy times

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Videogame journalism is dreadful, so this game or any game for that matter receiving good or bad reviews is like whatever to me,
as long as it doesn't have an ultra-low Metascore below the 50s at least. People need to stop letting their opinion being formed by critics and act as the critic's opinion on games has more worth.

For the ones who already played it, is the gameplay like old school Silent Hill or nah?

quest

Not Banned from OT
It seems to be a decent game. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe it can be Xbox's premier horror franchise with more tuning and improvements.
I feel people are way too harsh nowadays with people saying that anything below a 90 score is automatically trash. Crazy times
This a studio Microsoft needs to purchase honestly. Love to see what they could do with a real budget and fully staffed up. They would fill a nice hole in the line up and would be a small studio they could grow into something. They seem to have great ideas just need the budget for execution. I'll be playing it this weekend.

Arachnid

I just realized it's from makers of Observer. I hated that game.
They also made Layers of Fear and Blaire Witch. Both were poor. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt for this one just for the SH influences. I'm sad to hear it's just OK.

Top Bottom