• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Menu - Teaser Trailer

R6Rider

Gold Member

US Release Date: November 18, 2022

Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Hong Chau, Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicholas Hoult

Directed By: Mark Mylod

Synopsis: A couple (Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult) travels to a coastal island to eat at an exclusive restaurant where the chef (Ralph Fiennes) has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not seen the trailer, but let me guess...

gPSK7Sk.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
This movie is remarkable. I really, really enjoyed my time with it.

It is weird, unnerving, funny, bizarre, visually spectacular, brilliantly acted and has an original score by Colin Stetson [of Hereditary fame] that transcends the entire experience.

I can't say much about the plot because almost everything I say could be a spoiler, but sometimes you watch a movie that just takes you by complete surprise, throws curveballs, keeps you guessing, escalates gradually but you're never quite sure what is going on but you're fascinated by the journey and you keep wondering where things will end. This is that movie.

Watch it if you're in the right headspace and you're gonna have a great time.

Billbofet

It is weird, unnerving, funny, bizarre, visually spectacular, brilliantly acted and has an original score by Colin Stetson [of Hereditary fame] that transcends the entire experience.

I can't say much about the plot because almost everything I say could be a spoiler, but sometimes you watch a movie that just takes you by complete surprise, throws curveballs, keeps you guessing, escalates gradually but you're never quite sure what is going on but you're fascinated by the journey and you keep wondering where things will end. This is that movie.

Totally agree. I was somewhat spoiled a bit from watching the trailer, but my wife went in blind.
Half the fun was watching my wife's jaw drop every few minutes.
Ray Fiennes was spectacular. I think the only other actor that could pull this performance off as effectively would have been mid-90s Anthony Hopkins.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is this horror, comedy, drama, artsy weird, a bit of everything? I've not watched the trailer so it's hard to say from just the poster.

ahtlas7

Oooow! Look’s interesting. I like the Finnes. This movie should do well in those restaurant theaters.

mortal

Gold Member
This was pretty entertaining. I went in completely blind without so much as even a trailer. I think going in blind with no exceptions made for a more interesting watch.
Made myself some burgers after that lol

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Is this horror, comedy, drama, artsy weird, a bit of everything? I've not watched the trailer so it's hard to say from just the poster.

More of a dark comedy artsy psychological thriller than horror. Its not really meant to gross u out or scare you. Yeah sure people die but its not done in a shocking way.

Btw also takes quite a bit of suspension of disbelief if you really want to enjoy the film. Just dont think too deeply about it.

Last edited:

microwaved

Neo Member

I just watched the Menu as well, and I have to agree with your assessment. The acting was great and I really liked the score by Colin Stetson

one thing that I found a bit confusing about was the fact that the guests at the exclusiev restaurant seemed to be perfectly content with the bizarre and unsettling events that were unfolding around them. Maybe this was intended as a commentary

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
More of a dark comedy artsy psychological thriller than horror. Its not really meant to gross u out or scare you. Yeah sure people die but its not done in a shocking way.

Btw also takes quite a bit of suspension of disbelief if you really want to enjoy the film. Just dont think too deeply about it.
Yea u gota kind pretend it's kind of like battle royale or squid game, and even then it's pretty garbage tbh

The actress I thought was god awful too :<

Very good movie. I was expecting it to be some kind of thriller but I had no idea it would be so funny. Best dark comedy I've seen in a while.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Loved it. One of the best movies of its type I've seen in a long while. Just enough humor, wit, and love for the food that it is a great movie even for a date.

I don't watch all the horror movies these days but this is one of the most unique I've seen just when you think they've done it all. That's saying a lot from a cynical person like me who doesn't like the modern landscape of superhero driven movies.

VN1X

Banned
It's fun/interesting for the first half but as the mystery is revealed it does lose its steam a bit. Nothing I'd ever watch ever again but I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit different. If only to see Anna-Taylor Joy in a lovely dress for about two hours.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I give it an 8. There is more than meets the eye. The trailer made it look better, but, in the end, it was a decent flick. I enjoyed it for what it was.
Hawthorne was a very nice location to take in. I wish they did more with it. I feel there was a lost opportunity with this movie.

Hugare

Saw it yesterday, really good

Well filmed, well acted, great tension throughout. Very funny in some scenes too.

Not really comparable, but the last recent release that I've seen was Glass Onion, and this was MUCH better than that

Why didn’t they fight back.

By the end, I think they felt like they deserved it. It was very unrealistic and jarring, took me out of the movie completely. Gladly it was quickly overshadowed by the great hamburguer moment

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I liked it. It was not what I was expecting.

I enjoyed how the end was basically a statement on how that entire pointless, often abusive industry should just go away.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Saw this tonight. Definitely a lot to unpack.

I think a lot of people will talk about the "eat the rich" class warfare themes, but I think there are a lot of other themes to talk about as well.

For me, even more central than that stuff was its take down of the idea of a celebrity chef. That this phonomena has lead to an actual decrease in the quality of cooking. People are more concerned about the popularity of the chef than they are about the food (and artistry involved) itself. As Chef Rams.... Slowik had gained more fame, he was forced to adopt more and more pretentious styles in order to appease his client base. However, they dont really care about the food he makes. To them it is disposable. Eaten and them forgotten. He's forced to make empty pretentious art for an uncaring crowd.

That is why ATJ bothers him so much. He knows that shes a commoner ( "a member ofnthe service industry") yet she demonstrates no desire to eat his food. This rejection of his art, especially from someone he views as in his social class is shockg to him. He used to snobbery. But by ordering the cheeseburger, in its honest simplicity, she reminds him of the pure unpretentious ioy of cooking for someone else that he once felt.

Jennings

Just watched it. Liked it. This is the first time I've seen Anya Taylor Joy in anything, and after seeing all the glamorous promo shots for this movie and her chess show on Netflix I didn't expect her to be able to pull off skanky low class trash so well, but she nailed it.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Just watched it. Liked it. This is the first time I've seen Anya Taylor Joy in anything, and after seeing all the glamorous promo shots for this movie and her chess show on Netflix I didn't expect her to be able to pull off skanky low class trash so well, but she nailed it.
Watch the Witch

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Watch Emma

jufonuk

not tag worthy

I’m guessing they being fed themselves or each other I dunno.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Why didn't they all do the same hamburger trick in the end so they can all get out?

She was never supposed to be there in the first place, so the Chef offered her a way out by accepting her "loophole".

E-Cat

one thing that I found a bit confusing about was the fact that the guests at the exclusiev restaurant seemed to be perfectly content with the bizarre and unsettling events that were unfolding around them. Maybe this was intended as a commentary
Pretty clear it was intended, the movie itself even comments on this.
Fiennes' character says something to the effect of "y'all could've tried to fight back a little bit harder."

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Started out interesting, but they let the cat out of the bag too soon and everything that came after was a bit ridiculous and overdone. A 6/10 for me.

Top Bottom